Yet another take on reform.......

Share personal experiences or ask general benefit-related queries
refitman
Site Admin

Yet another take on reform.......

Post by refitman »

Labour has new suggestions for 'radical reform' of disability benefits, suggesting the newly rolled out Australian system.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/ ... led-people

After a frustrating search for more information on this other than bare bones description I came across this article in the Australian.

It references the UK system in much the same way that Liam Byrne does the Australian system. Which is interesting because some of us here know what the statistics actually represent, as well as some of the sources of the statistics... It also gives some interesting figures on benefits there, though it is hard to ascertain what 'rent assistance' is compared to here.

So how would this improve on what we have right now? It looks to me as though people with 'minor' disabilities will wind up on the same as able people, and only those with profound disabilities will be eligible for their new scheme. But what about whose of us in the middle, and for that matter Aussies in the middle.......

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/opinion ... 6624742466

"There is no intention that the NDIS will provide support for all Disability Support Pension recipients."

Disabled people are again and again taking the hit, the latest is how they can improve their ability, as if their needs are not important, and that many of the disabling factors are completely out of their control. If we lose the current lot, are we due for another hugely unsettled period in which new laws are passed and tested. And are the outcomes going to be better. I was unable to get close to any answers, and other than being in touch with disability rights people in Australia, do not know how to make a comparison. But this is something we will have to do if this is what is coming up.

There are plenty of links to various state bodies in AU regarding the Australian National Disability Insurance Scheme, which will be for severe disablements. This is what Byrne is proposing.....