Foodbanks and entitlement

Share personal experiences or ask general benefit-related queries
Lilylupin
Backbencher

Foodbanks and entitlement

Post by Lilylupin »

Getting frustrated arguing with several people about food banks (and perceived abuse of).
I know people in need are referred. Are there checks as to the frequency some people claim?
Some people I talk to always seem to "know" a person who regularly "shops" at food banks.
I find this extremely frustrating. :fire:
Would be grateful for some links I can quote to rebut these claims.
Thank you :)
51A
Committee Member

Re: Foodbanks and entitlement

Post by 51A »

Lilylupin wrote:Getting frustrated arguing with several people about food banks (and perceived abuse of).
I know people in need are referred. Are there checks as to the frequency some people claim?
Some people I talk to always seem to "know" a person who regularly "shops" at food banks.
I find this extremely frustrating. :fire:
Would be grateful for some links I can quote to rebut these claims.
Thank you :)
I did free CAB work for some time and during it some did try to abuse foodbanks. Always quickly spotted because you phone the Benefits Agency to find out why benefits are late or sanctioned. If their benefits are not late or sanctioned you tell them they have their benefits and must buy food like everyone else. But they are too often late or sanctioned. There are few agencies that can give out foodbank vouchers, Jobcentre always sent them to CAB or the Council offices in my experience and we always checked the stories.

Food from foodbanks is donated in goodwill, and given out the same way. No choice, btw, it's not like a free pass to Waitrose, it is desperation, only 3 days, balanced as it can be depending on donations, basic rations. Keep defending. It is shameful we need them. Trussel Trust will give you details, they're the biggest organiser.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Re: Foodbanks and entitlement

Post by LadyCentauria »

Hi Lilylupin and welcome to The Haven.

If you live in Rotherham or in West Norwood, people could be claiming to know someone who has membership of the Community Shop. They sell surplus stock to members, who must
1) live in a specific postcode area, chosen in line with the government indices of deprivation
2) live in a household that receives some form of Government income support
3) and most importantly, are motivated to make positive change in their lives, and want to sign up to our programme
There are some other similar schemes, I think. But, as 51A says, you cannot 'shop regularly' at food banks. I've heard one person being interviewed who helped run a foodbank (not Trussell Trust but church or something) who said that most people were one time only, some were helped two or three times, and very occasionally someone would need helping for a longer period. Sorry I can't remember which foodbank he was from or which programme I was listening to.

Trussell Trust stats page
Joseph Rowntree Foundation have all sorts of publications on poverty, etc.,

D'you know, I think my answer to those people-who-know-someone would be, "Ok, go on then, pop down the foodbank and get some shopping then if you really think people can." It's a bit like the people who declare that everyone's got an easy life just going down the social and getting money. I make a similar suggestion to them, if they've refused to believe the facts ;)
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...