One More Question

51A
Committee Member

One More Question

Post by 51A »

Sorry and please forgive. As a "lady" I should't be asked, let alone ask.

But: I am interested to know ages of members here - it does affect how one relates to people, ie, what they remember. My name is a slight abbreviation of my name at "the other place", which I coined a little over 2 years ago - ok 2 and a half - when I joined there. Therefore that makes me actually 53. Ok, and a half.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Re: One More Question

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

51A wrote:Sorry and please forgive. As a "lady" I should't be asked, let alone ask.

But: I am interested to know ages of members here - it does affect how one relates to people, ie, what they remember. My name is a slight abbreviation of my name at "the other place", which I coined a little over 2 years ago - ok 2 and a half - when I joined there. Therefore that makes me actually 53. Ok, and a half.
1961 was obviously an exceptionally vintage year! Same here, except for the half (53 earlier this month).
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
51A wrote:Sorry and please forgive. As a "lady" I should't be asked, let alone ask.

1961 was obviously an exceptionally vintage year! Same here, except for the half (53 earlier this month).
1962 wasn't a bad year either!!

Are we all just angry middle aged lefties?? I'd be interested to know the spread of ages here. I know ohso is in her late 60s, and that TSGO's in his 20's, but everyone else?

I'm 52 for the record, although about 18 in maturity years.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

I'm 58.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

yahyah wrote:I'm 58.
Ten years older than me, then :)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

I was 34 two weeks ago.
justamentalpatient
Backbencher

Post by justamentalpatient »

Will hit 40 in November.
51A
Committee Member

Post by 51A »

justamentalpatient wrote:Will hit 40 in November.
Oooh, that's a big one. I avoided mine by taking me and the kids to Cyprus for the week and banning cards/all recognition. I had an equally bad reaction to the previous 2 decade changes though. Oh, and 50 come to think of it .... :o
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

I'm fifty-six-and-a-half. But still a teenage hippie/metalhead, inside. Oh, my legs are different ages, apparently. Did this thing at the hospital (it's about balancing on one leg) and my left leg was in its eighties while the right was late twenties. It was a few years ago but my right leg is definitely catching up with its 'twin', these days! :wink:
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

1962 as well.52.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

But 18 really. Honest.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

45, for another week or so.
I still believe in a town called Hope
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

ephemerid wrote:58.

But 18 really. Honest.

1956 was a good year, think RR2 may be the same age as you and I.
51A
Committee Member

Post by 51A »

adam wrote:45, for another week or so.
Happy birthday for in a "week or so". :)
51A
Committee Member

Post by 51A »

LadyCentauria wrote:I'm fifty-six-and-a-half. But still a teenage hippie/metalhead, inside. Oh, my legs are different ages, apparently. Did this thing at the hospital (it's about balancing on one leg) and my left leg was in its eighties while the right was late twenties. It was a few years ago but my right leg is definitely catching up with its 'twin', these days! :wink:
Fascinating about the legs. If you add the individual leg ages and divide by number of legs it comes out about right. I wonder if that's true of us all? :geek:
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

51A wrote:
LadyCentauria wrote:I'm fifty-six-and-a-half. But still a teenage hippie/metalhead, inside. Oh, my legs are different ages, apparently. Did this thing at the hospital (it's about balancing on one leg) and my left leg was in its eighties while the right was late twenties. It was a few years ago but my right leg is definitely catching up with its 'twin', these days! :wink:
Fascinating about the legs. If you add the individual leg ages and divide by number of legs it comes out about right. I wonder if that's true of us all? :geek:
Whoa! I'd never thought about it like that. Someone might be able to get a research grant to investigate it. And it's a simple enough test, just based on how many seconds before you start wobbling and how many until you have to put the other foot down or need someone to catch you from falling. One person with a clipboard and stopwatch and another standing by to assist you, if needed. Then lots of numbers to crunch. Suit a first-year research and statistics group. I'd imagine that most peoples legs are the same age as them to start with, though ;)
51A
Committee Member

Post by 51A »

LadyCentauria wrote:
51A wrote:
Whoa! I'd never thought about it like that. Someone might be able to get a research grant to investigate it. And it's a simple enough test, just based on how many seconds before you start wobbling and how many until you have to put the other foot down or need someone to catch you from falling. One person with a clipboard and stopwatch and another standing by to assist you, if needed. Then lots of numbers to crunch. Suit a first-year research and statistics group. I'd imagine that most peoples legs are the same age as them to start with, though ;)
I'm guessing you're a left leg leader. Legs tell you a lot. When I was a little girl a kindly old farmer taught me to read ponies by them. You can get to know a pony/horse by its legs; which they lead with etc. So I applied that to dogs and still apply it when I meet a new animal. (Dogs, lead with the left it can be quite a grumpy dog but it will be brighter than it's right-leading chums; horses, lead with the right it will probably be more docile, lead with the left it will probably be brave, lead with either it will get you out of scrapes you were daft enough to get yourself into). My right leg is a bit buggered after falling over one of my dogs - an either leader, loveliest dog I ever had but don't tell the others - dislocated my kneecap, and numerous other accidents with broken bits of foot. But I still lead with it. (Note which leg you use first on stairs, this will tell you which you lead with. We unconsciously alter our gait so that as we arrive at an obstacle, eg, stairs our leading leg goes first. Never studied humans by it though so even if you do discover which you lead with, I can't tell you what it means.)

The maths bit, my daughter began A Level Maths a few years ago and started noticing patterns/relationships and made me do the same.

Btw, never could read a cat. ;)
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

51A wrote:
LadyCentauria wrote:
51A wrote: Fascinating about the legs. If you add the individual leg ages and divide by number of legs it comes out about right. I wonder if that's true of us all? :geek:
I'm guessing you're a left leg leader. Legs tell you a lot. When I was a little girl a kindly old farmer taught me to read ponies by them. You can get to know a pony/horse by its legs; which they lead with etc. So I applied that to dogs and still apply it when I meet a new animal. (Dogs, lead with the left it can be quite a grumpy dog but it will be brighter than it's right-leading chums; horses, lead with the right it will probably be more docile, lead with the left it will probably be brave, lead with either it will get you out of scrapes you were daft enough to get yourself into). My right leg is a bit buggered after falling over one of my dogs - an either leader, loveliest dog I ever had but don't tell the others - dislocated my kneecap, and numerous other accidents with broken bits of foot. But I still lead with it. (Note which leg you use first on stairs, this will tell you which you lead with. We unconsciously alter our gait so that as we arrive at an obstacle, eg, stairs our leading leg goes first. Never studied humans by it though so even if you do discover which you lead with, I can't tell you what it means.)

The maths bit, my daughter began A Level Maths a few years ago and started noticing patterns/relationships and made me do the same.

My pony was as quick as lightening at getting out of trouble, if it meant he had to jump a 5ft hedge he would, very clever and bright - he led off with either leg :)
My big horse led with the left, pushed himself in front of me and took a right kick in the shoulder when a crazy mare launched at me in the field (sorry to say he then lamped 7 bells out of her...) very brave and protective of me and our pony in the field, but a mardy pants if out riding by ourselves - Oh those were the days, how I miss them both.
Age?
My boys were 33 and 35 when I lost them - they had been with me 32 years, and I was just about 30 when we bought them.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

AngryAsWell wrote:
51A wrote:
LadyCentauria wrote: Whoa! I'd never thought about it like that. Someone might be able to get a research grant to investigate it. And it's a simple enough test, just based on how many seconds before you start wobbling and how many until you have to put the other foot down or need someone to catch you from falling. One person with a clipboard and stopwatch and another standing by to assist you, if needed. Then lots of numbers to crunch. Suit a first-year research and statistics group. I'd imagine that most peoples legs are the same age as them to start with, though ;)

My pony was as quick as lightening at getting out of trouble, if it meant he had to jump a 5ft hedge he would, very clever and bright - he led off with either leg :)
My big horse led with the left, pushed himself in front of me and took a right kick in the shoulder when a crazy mare launched at me in the field (sorry to say he then lamped 7 bells out of her...) very brave and protective of me and our pony in the field, but a mardy pants if out riding by ourselves - Oh those were the days, how I miss them both.
Age?
My boys were 33 and 35 when I lost them - they had been with me 32 years, and I was just about 30 when we bought them.
@AAA: My own boy made it to 29 and I'd had him since he was 7. He was a left-leg leader, very protective of my sister's pony and of a sweet, shy little mare who lived at the same grass-livery place. I haven't had my very own since. My Darling T actually belongs to J, the owner of the yard where I ride, but even J refers to T as 'your pony' – especially when phoning or texting to tell me of T's latest bit of mischief or mishap. She is definitely the lead mare on the yard, although she's the next-to-smallest, leads with either leg, and changes her mind constantly about what constitutes a scary monster...

@51A: My physio thought it hilarious when she found that I'm an either-leg-leader. Although, once I've made it to a step I'm left-leg first going down each step and right-leg first going up – and use a combination of hauling myself up by the hand-rail and pushing with my stick(s). We have a ramp for the mounting-block and a wheelchair-lift too, at the yard, which really help. Dismounting, I sort of sprawl across the saddle and slide myself down onto my right leg, as the left is prone to collapsing, but sometimes have to dismount onto the block or lift, especially if I'm riding one of the horses, rather than a pony.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

I have to say LadyC, I'm completely disarmed by your posts.

If me and the clan are ever down your way, expect a PM asking for your details, as I'd be delighted to meet you (not that there's an FTNer on earth with whom I'd not share a pint, bien sur).
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

ErnstRemarx wrote:I have to say LadyC, I'm completely disarmed by your posts.

If me and the clan are ever down your way, expect a PM asking for your details, as I'd be delighted to meet you (not that there's an FTNer on earth with whom I'd not share a pint, bien sur).
Oh it would be a real delight to meet you and your clan too, Ernst – there will always be a welcome on this hillside! Same goes for all FTNers :)
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

LadyCentauria wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:I have to say LadyC, I'm completely disarmed by your posts.

Oh it would be a real delight to meet you and your clan too, Ernst – there will always be a welcome on this hillside! Same goes for all FTNers :)
Indeed, PM me should anyone require a snifter in the Westcountry.

Meanwhile, I say with pride and, no doubt crap grammar, "je suis un soixante-huitard", well, at least by birth.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I think I must be the oldest. 70 :(
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
JustMom
Committee Member

Post by JustMom »

No,not quite,I'm 72.
MorganLlan
Backbencher

Post by MorganLlan »

1962 was a very good year. Especially March. My English hubby was born on St David's day in Canada where his father had taken the family for his work. 10 days later in the glorious Land of My Fathers, I was born.
Everybody knows
Backbencher

Post by Everybody knows »

I'm 50 now. I miss seeing cars with different coloured doors, wings or bonnets on.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Everybody knows wrote:I'm 50 now. I miss seeing cars with different coloured doors, wings or bonnets on.
Welcome to FTN, @Everybody knows!

I saw one during the summer and it struck me how many years it is since that was a common sight. Mind you, it was parked outside the paint-shop at our local garage – which still has its original Coach-works sign up on the side of the main building.
Everybody knows
Backbencher

Post by Everybody knows »

Thankyou LadyC.

Coachworks? Wow.
The garage here has a few old bits. They charge 35 pounds an hour.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

42. Yikes, when I type it, I feel it.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

"The answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything is 42."

It's also currently my age but, shssh, don't tell anyone ;)
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

A child at heart, but a dragon that has lost his puff.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

It would appear both LadyCentauria and HindleA passed away before reaching their 60th birthdays, that's pretty sobering.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"