Tuesday 12th April 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 12th April 2016

Post by citizenJA »

citizenJA wrote:
...since around 2010 articles written by women consistently attracted
a higher proportion of blocked comments than articles written by men.

We also found that some subjects attracted more abusive or disruptive
comments than others. Articles about feminism attracted very high levels
of blocked comments. And so did rape.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sickening
I don't go below the line on Toynbee articles or articles about feminism due to the persistent, toxic comments
That's sickening to me
Someone can disagree, be passionate about their belief and write about it without abuse
Others just want to cause pain, shut it all down, shut it all up
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Unfortunately, its not as logical as that.

Any explosion of public rage as a result of mass publication would be likely to benefit the "out" camp - the views of the individual MPs wouldn't matter much.
Why?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
frightful_oik wrote: I'm just getting into jazz. Ever listened to Hiromi Roger?
Not yet. I know she has a lot of fans but not someone I've listened to - too many other interesting artists right now!
Music!
Yes, I'm going to listen to some - I'm sad today, my friends.

Thela Hun Ginjeet - King Crimson
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Ivan White ‏@ivanwhite48 4h4 hours ago

Alan Duncan lent his neighbour money to buy his home at a discount under right-to-buy. The neighbour sold it to Duncan three years later.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
sputnikkers
Backbencher

Post by sputnikkers »

PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.
Ministers have intensified efforts to get Tory supporters on public bodies, appointments chief says

Sir David Normington, the outgoing commissioner for public appointments, has told the Financial Times (subscription)...
That's an interesting (and unsurprising) read over at Politics Live. I don't have a subscription to the Financial Times in order to access the article referred to, however.
If you want to see the 'original article try copying and pasting into Google News. Eg The following text within the brackets: <Tories accused of pushing for sympathisers to be handed key public posts> results in this page of results:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Torie ... ts&tbm=nws
The first link should take you through the paywall - but I don't know for how long and for how many different articles you might try to read.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I've just received the government's "In" booklet (or some of the government's, perhaps I should say). I think the back page is ill-conceived and open to causing voter confusion. I'd be interested to hear other people's views on this.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

gilsey wrote:I watched C4 Dispatches an'd it made me wonder, did C4 just have the one undercover reporter? However badly we might think of Maximus, it's hard to believe that a majority of the DAs would be as upfront about their attitudes as the guy they landed on, Alan. Did they strike gold, or rather strike shit, or did they have more than one infiltrator and pick the best/worst one?

As an antidote, I recommend Gordon Buchanan and Alastair Campbell talking to puffins.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... r-campbell" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Morning, gilsey.

The company in question was actually Capita. Not Maximus. Capita and Atos currently hold the PIP contracts.

In 2013, Stephen Duckworth (the top man at Capita overseeing PIP) said this -
"We've got to develop an empathetic, professional and dignified service, to meet individual needs".

To that end, his plans were -
to conduct 60% of all PIP assessments in peoples' homes; to give claimants a choice about where they are seen; to establish "champions" for people with specific conditions; to ensure that each PIP claimant is assessed by someone who is an expert in their main presenting condition.

PIP was introduced in April 2013 for new claims and established claims where a change of circumstances was declared or reported.
By 2014, there was a backlog of 300,000 people waiting for their first PIP assessment; many waited up to a year for a decision.

Capita then recruited 400 "Disability Assessors" to catch up, and the likes of "Alan" were being paid £300 per claimant to clear the backlog; some casual staff were taken on too, and they were earning on average £900 a day.
All their staff have some health care qualification; but despite the DWP insisting that they must tell the claimant what their qualifications are, many refuse to do so. Far from having an assessor who is expert in a specific condition, people are still being assessed by staff who have no expertise in the particular problem the claimant faces.

Given the limitations of the half-hour slot for that Despatches programme, I think the undercover nurse and Adepitan did a good job.
If "Alan" is any class of registered professional, he should be struck off. The manager should be sacked and/or penalised too.

Whatever the original intentions of Mr.Duckworth (most of which were regarded by many as naive at best and spurious at worst), the fact is that Capita's performance is no better than Atos or Maximus, and I personally doubt that any other firm would do better.
The reason I say that is because the ethos of these assessments has nothing to do with healthcare; employing qualified HCPs in these jobs adds a dubious legitimacy to what they're doing, which is acting as disability thought police for a corrupt department.

DWP, and the companies it pays billions to for helping it to deny benefits to people who desperately need them, is responsible for all of this - the proof that this is a vicious and targeted system is there in the undercover reports, the "training", the level of successful appeals, the thousands of testimonies from people with disabilities who have been put through this hideous performance.

As a disabled person himself - albeit one with both cash and connections, Stephen Duckworth should be thoroughly ashamed of himself.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Tata Steel -
In the statement Javid said that the government was considering the possibility of “co-investing” on commercial terms with a buyer of Tata’s UK business. He refused to elaborate on what that might mean.

On the Daily Politics a few minutes ago Stephen Kinnock, the Labour MP for Aberavon, said that Javid needed to clarify what he meant in the debate.

But Esther McVey, the former Conservative MP and minister who was also on the programme, said that Javid had to be vague when talking about what help the government might be able to offer a buyer because, if he were more specific, he might fall foul of EU state aid rules. (Politics Live, Guardian)
Esther McVey not making sense. As usual. Either Sajid Javid is proposing something contrary to the rules, or he isn't. If he is, then it will "fall foul" of them at some point anyway.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Conference brought to you today in partnership with Capita.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

ohsocynical wrote:Ivan White ‏@ivanwhite48 4h4 hours ago

Alan Duncan lent his neighbour money to buy his home at a discount under right-to-buy. The neighbour sold it to Duncan three years later.
I'd forgotten about that. Details here.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... enses.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Rotten apple,chosen as exemplar,the way to proceed.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

PorFavor wrote:Tata Steel -
In the statement Javid said that the government was considering the possibility of “co-investing” on commercial terms with a buyer of Tata’s UK business. He refused to elaborate on what that might mean.

On the Daily Politics a few minutes ago Stephen Kinnock, the Labour MP for Aberavon, said that Javid needed to clarify what he meant in the debate.

But Esther McVey, the former Conservative MP and minister who was also on the programme, said that Javid had to be vague when talking about what help the government might be able to offer a buyer because, if he were more specific, he might fall foul of EU state aid rules. (Politics Live, Guardian)
Esther McVey not making sense. As usual. Either Sajid Javid is proposing something contrary to the rules, or he isn't. If he is, then it will "fall foul" of them at some point anyway.
Yeah. Law is a bit more than what people say. Amazed Robbie Gibb and the rest of the BBC Tories allow her on. She talks rubbish.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

PorFavor wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Unfortunately, its not as logical as that.

Any explosion of public rage as a result of mass publication would be likely to benefit the "out" camp - the views of the individual MPs wouldn't matter much.
Why?
Because "anti politics" sentiment in its most generalised form is not friendly to institutions such as the EU?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Link to Gov.booklet
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... for-the-uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016 ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is Stephen Crabb the man to tackle this age of extreme inequality?
Anne Perkins
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

HindleA wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016 ... are_btn_tw

Is Stephen Crabb the man to tackle this age of extreme inequality?
Anne Perkins

No.

But what he will do is pray away your gay, and be theonlybeardedcabinetmemberwithasingleparent.

Next!
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Peter Jukes tweeting that Private Eye have more detail to back up the Whittingdale media cover up story.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Not going anywhere near a town...if anyone gets a copy of the new Private Eye please can you give us a gist of what it claims.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/we ... de-lottery" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The roll out of Universal Credit will lead to a postcode lottery
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:I've just received the government's "In" booklet (or some of the government's, perhaps I should say). I think the back page is ill-conceived and open to causing voter confusion. I'd be interested to hear other people's views on this.
Was it the one that says

MORE JOBS
LOWER PRICES

I thought it was a home improvement brochure piece of junk mail and almost threw it away
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

It ,through gritted teeth,states your choice,'75 repeatedly made that clear.Consensus seems to be the leaflet will not make any difference,I beg to differ and think it may do ,in the opposite direction.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Have long thought that underlying everything the lying git says is a desire to effect an exit from europe, it certainly is more than a possibility, he is now so disliked that people may well vote away europe just to oppose him. On the basis that the right thing to do is obviously not what he wants. And there being no louder voices that are putting forward a good argument to remain. And equally dodgy leaflet. In the absence of balanced argument people fill in the other bit themselves.... in this time of nudge is this an accident? Though I am still hoping enough people have the wit to understand what is at stake and to bother to vote.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

citizenJA wrote:I posted the links to Corbyn, McDonnell, Osborne and Cameron tax return documents on the Sparrow blog in response to someone else posting misleading information
My post is gone
Correction
The links to the tax return documents are on the Sparrow blog, according to my comment history
I'm glad
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.newtekjournalismukworld.com/ ... lan-duncan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OPEN LETTER TO SIR ALAN DUNCAN

Because my measure of achievement is getting up every day to help people to walk to the toilet independently again. To be able to cut their own food and to leave the house without an ambulance to wheel them out of the house.

My measure of achievement is helping a bilateral amputee to get out of his bed without a hoist, to wash himself and get out onto their garden with their wheelchair without their 75 year old wife having to push them over the threshold, because the local council does not have the funds or housing stock to provide a suitably adapted home.

My measure of achievement is to be able to help a person regain control of their life despite suffering from unimaginable pain while there is no psychological support to help with their depression and anxiety. Or to keep a woman that has lived in the same house for 58 years, where she raised her children and saw her husband die, from having to ‘be put’ in a residential home because she has dementia, is falling every other day and her family can’t cope with the situation given the lack of social services support.

As I see the NHS and social net crumble around me (and I have watched it change from the inside for 14 years) my measure of achievement is whether I can stick it out, continuing to be the advocate for my patients despite just scraping by financially.

Fighting for their quality of life and dignity in a system where the resources are ever decreasing, the demands for more never stop and true advocates are only seen at the front line of a war between financial interests and social need. And I can assure you these demands do not come from my patients, they come from a political class who have such sense of self-entitlement that they deem wealth as the only worthy measure of achievement for those that might want to stand for election to represent their ‘peers’. Yes, peers, because as I see it the current ruling party has a much in common with my peers, as bacon has with speed, and surely that needs to change.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Blimey, did I read that right, Crabb as a credible contender? Ha, he is to be their fall guy, then, didn't they try that once before, I don't recall that Thatcher was ever forgotten though.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Opposition Day debate tomorrow is on the Schools White Paper.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://disabilitynow.org.uk/2016/04/12 ... and-minds/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Crabb’s need to win hearts and minds
Crabb has also proclaimed a need to recognise the individual behind the benefit-claiming statistic, to treat people with compassion, and has promised to start a new conversation with disabled people to find out what help and support they actually need. This rhetoric sounds positive, but it is bound up in ongoing reforms that will deliver only more poverty and insecurity to disabled people. The £30 cut for those in the work-related activity group (WRAG) of Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) remains on the statute book, and Crabb shows no inclination or intention to U-turn here.

Indeed, he was one of several prominent Conservative politicians who not only voted in favour of the ESA cut but who also issued misleading and downright incorrect statements, which suggested that those in the WRAG have been judged capable of work, and so the reform is fair and not targeted at the oft-quoted but never clearly defined ‘most vulnerable’. Such a statement was at best poorly informed and at worst downright malicious, and has led some such as Jules Clarke, a disability activist who has been personally affected by chronic illness, to accuse Crabb of setting out to deceive the public. As Clarke put it to me:

“When it was revealed Crabb said the cuts to WRAG were justified, the whole thing was based around a stream of statements that said that those in the WRAG could work, and so didn’t need a premium. Not just Crabb, but many ministers and MPs were espousing the same message.”
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.communitycare.co.uk/2016/04/ ... -care-act/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Social care cases to be audited after user-group claims council breached Care Act
Norfolk Council requested the audit. It will be carried out by SCIE and funded by the Local Government Association
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Afternoon all. I've just seen Zac Goldsmith's latest slurs on Khan. He goes from awful to complete gutterspawn. And then he has the nerve to say Khan calls his criticism Islamaphobic. Well if that's all he wants to focus on ....
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Owen Jones ‏@OwenJones84 11m11 minutes ago
"The disgraced Conservative MP @ZacGoldsmith, noted for his racially charged campaign..." That's how the history books should remember him.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Owen Jones ‏@OwenJones84 16m16 minutes ago
Owen Jones Retweeted Yvette Cooper
After his disgusting campaign, @ZacGoldsmith must go down in history as a byword for 'inflammatory racist campaign'

Yvette CooperVerified account
‏@YvetteCooperMP Yvette Cooper Retweeted Red Box
Time to call it out before it gets worse. What started as a subtle dog whistle is becoming a racist scream.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

George Osborne Accused Of Talking ‘B****cks’ About How Rich He Was
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/g ... c?xebnvcxr&" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

Just a swift drop-in, but wasn't sure if these had been linked yet...

Imagine the furore if a candidate for Mayor of London praised someone who openly defends the Taliban. Imagine a candidate openly campaigning with a man who has been labelled an “apologist” for the Taliban because, after visiting Malala Yousafzai, in hospital, he said those who are fighting against foreign occupation in Afghanistan are fighting a holy war.
That candidate is Zac Goldsmith, and his alliance with Pakistani cricketer-turned-politician Imran Khan, his former brother-in-law, should raise serious questions about his judgement ahead of May’s vote.
Goldsmith’s kinship with Khan shows the lengths he will go to pander to the Asian vote. More than that, it is an expression of deep hypocrisy given the attacks he has landed on Sadiq Khan, his opponent, as a “radical” and “divisive” figure.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/zac ... 78781.html

...and there seems to be a bit of confusion...

So, can Jemima’s left-wing credentials help to win her brother a few swing voters? Apparently not. Rather than boost her brother’s profile, Miss S understands that Jemima’s surname is actually proving to be a source of confusion with some voters presuming she is the sister of Sadiq Khan, the Labour candidate. The socialite says well-wishers have come up to her in recent months to wish her brother Sadiq the best in the race.

https://life.spectator.co.uk/2016/04/je ... oral-race/

ttfn
Proud to be 1 of the 76% - Solidarity...because PODEMOS
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

yahyah wrote:Not going anywhere near a town...if anyone gets a copy of the new Private Eye please can you give us a gist of what it claims.

I think you can get it online.

http://www.private-eye.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Article on twitter,if you have that

@ciabaudo for one.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Eat Stops Paying Its Staff During Lunch Breaks Due To National Living Wage
The food chain has decided to stop paying staff for their 30 minute lunch breaks following the decision to introduce a National Living Wage of £7.20/hour.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson/fo ... ofJ6PgaYKE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

seeingclearly wrote:Have long thought that underlying everything the lying git says is a desire to effect an exit from europe, it certainly is more than a possibility, he is now so disliked that people may well vote away europe just to oppose him. On the basis that the right thing to do is obviously not what he wants. And there being no louder voices that are putting forward a good argument to remain. And equally dodgy leaflet. In the absence of balanced argument people fill in the other bit themselves.... in this time of nudge is this an accident? Though I am still hoping enough people have the wit to understand what is at stake and to bother to vote.
There have been a lot of Tweets saying they're going to vote exit out of spite.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

LabourLordsUK Retweeted
Michael Cashman ‏@mcashmanCBE 8m8 minutes ago
Lords defeat govt on @LabourLordsUK amendment to stop the detention of pregnant women under immigration law. Our laws must be humane.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://jjarichardson.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... th-mp.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
An open letter to Owen Smith MP
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Rowena Mason ‏@rowenamason 2m2 minutes ago
Sajid Javid personally saved UK steels plants by persuading Tata to sell rather than close them, biz minister Anna Soubry claims
Foghorn Anna in full aggrandising form by the sound of it.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Patrick Wintour ‏@patrickwintour 1m1 minute ago
"This is what we wanted" - the Cayman Islands government celebrate its victory over the UK on tax transparency. http://www.caymanreporter.com/2016/04/1 ... agreement/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Pathetic.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Financial Times ‏@FinancialTimes now6 seconds ago
Guardian talks of ban for ad blocker users http://on.ft.com/23rOC38" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oh wonderful.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Sajid Javid: UK blocked higher EU steel tariffs fearing shoe price rises
Business secretary opposed scrapping duty rule to fight cut-price Chinese dumping fearing it would ‘cost British shoppers dear’

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... rice-rises" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hmmm - loss of UK steel industry and thousands of jobs - pricier shoes - hmmm.

This man talks garbage and takes us for fools.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Financial Times ‏@FinancialTimes now6 seconds ago
Guardian talks of ban for ad blocker users http://on.ft.com/23rOC38" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oh wonderful.
'Bye then, G
I'll look elsewhere if you've decided I've got to look at advertising on your site
I'm looking for news & commentary
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Rowena Mason ‏@rowenamason 2m2 minutes ago
Anna Soubry now launched into tirade about all the demands of the steel industry who keep "moving the goal posts" -on tariffs, energy, rates
And the comments BTL on the Javid excuse re pricier shoes are *special*. He deserves them.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stephen Crabb pledges 'relentless focus' on improving life chances
Welfare secretary signals no major changes to government policy and says he is ‘absolutely committed’ to universal credit rollout
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

John Healey MP ‏@JohnHealey_MP 28s29 seconds ago
9 Labour and 2 Tory MPs in W Hall debate, all very critical about crude housing benefit cuts which will close supported housing schemes
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

CPI inflation.5;RPI 1.6;protecting the "vulnerable"value of carers etc (at best).0.0.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Crabb speech
https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/ ... e-and-work" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by HindleA on Tue 12 Apr, 2016 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Sajid Javid: UK blocked higher EU steel tariffs fearing shoe price rises
Business secretary opposed scrapping duty rule to fight cut-price Chinese dumping fearing it would ‘cost British shoppers dear’

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... rice-rises" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hmmm - loss of UK steel industry and thousands of jobs - pricier shoes - hmmm.

This man talks garbage and takes us for fools.
Chinese dumping clog iron?