Monday 18th April 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Re: Monday 18th April 2016

Post by StephenDolan »

frightful_oik wrote:Apparently Gidiot has just said that brexit would mean 8p rise in income tax.
I think JC is right to leave the tories shredding one another until after the locals.
The problem with saying this is that in the event of Brexit, he's still the chancellor. Would he be implementing an 8p increase come the budget after Brexit? How does this statement compare with his Laffer Curve argument about lowering the top rate from 50 to 45?
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

StephenDolan wrote:
frightful_oik wrote:Apparently Gidiot has just said that brexit would mean 8p rise in income tax.
I think JC is right to leave the tories shredding one another until after the locals.
The problem with saying this is that in the event of Brexit, he's still the chancellor. Would he be implementing an 8p increase come the budget after Brexit? How does this statement compare with his Laffer Curve argument about lowering the top rate from 50 to 45?
Simples! No problem taxing the little people. Might even be a few bob left over to give to his grubby rich chums.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Has Javid lost his place as Osborne's chosen one? Steel business politically damaged the poor little lamb?
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Hang on is he saying that income tax can be increased to make up for a drop in economic activity?
Isn't that the opposite of what he's been doing for last 6 years!
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

This is not a good argument, way too easy for the Brexiters to blow apart. It's already a leap from the quantifiable impacts on trade, jobs and GDP to saying this will lead to the need for tax increases, but even if this is the case, which taxes you increase and by how much still remains very much a political choice, not an inevitable fact.

The really big problem for Osborne, is that he is unable to make the most compelling economic argument for "in" which is that because he has completely failed to rebalance the economy as promised, the UK is extremely dependent on the City of London for what little wealth we have and leaving the EU will negatively affect the City. Brexit will hurt at a time we are already hurting because the wrong choices have been made over the last 6 years, with falling capital investment, a stubbornly high benefit bill despite GDP growth and low unemployment and a persisting deficit despite one broken promise after anther from Osborne to eliminate it. We are already in a pickle, it wouldn't take much to sink us. Osborne, obviously, can't make this point because he was the one who got us into this pickle.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Afternoon.

Anyone else in Wales get one of those Lib Dem papers designed to look like a local news sheet ?

Our one had headlines screaming that Plaid want to re-band council tax and it would cost a third of Ceredigion households an extra £300 to £1,000.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Plaid's council tax policy:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-35880769" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What the Lib Dem propaganda didn't point out is that Plaid's policy is to only increase council tax on bands E to I. Plaid claim that 200,000 Welsh households would have their council tax halved and 600,000 others would save between £130 & £260 a year.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

yahyah wrote:Plaid's council tax policy:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-35880769" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What the Lib Dem propaganda didn't point out is that Plaid's policy is to only increase council tax on bands E to I. Plaid claim that 200,000 Welsh households would have their council tax halved and 600,000 others would save between £130 & £260 a year.
Who knew there were so many rich people in Wales?

That sounds a bit dubious to me.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

But house prices are much cheaper here, being in E, F or H won't necessarily mean you are rich.
A lot of the higher rated houses will likely be in Cardiff or Pembrokeshire.

It was just mischievous of the Libs to be only tell half the story on Plaid's policy, trying to frighten people into thinking it would be they who would pay more.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Band E won't go up too much. The top bands are going to have to go up a lot, and I cant see there are enough of them in Wales.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I am in Band B. So I must be one of those getting a 50 percent reduction. That would be something like £450 a year.

Can't see how this adds up at all.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

https://statswales.wales.gov.uk/Catalog ... ority-band" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This shows the councils and their charges but not how many in each band.

Interesting that Pembrokeshire pays the least per band.
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

I heard a bit of John (Vulcan) Redwood on Jeremy Vine's programme. Making the case for Brexit, he asserted that we could 'do away with austerity' with the money we wouldn't be paying to the EU.

I suspect he knows full well that 'austerity' is merely the excuse to rob the poor to pay the rich. Him posing as an anti austerian is something though - even more audacious than Saint Nicola of Sturgeon.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Plaid know they will never have to actually enact their policy as they will never win a majority.
So, like the Lib Dems in 2010, they can promise the earth.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

nickyinnorfolk wrote:I heard a bit of John (Vulcan) Redwood on Jeremy Vine's programme. Making the case for Brexit, he asserted that we could 'do away with austerity' with the money we wouldn't be paying to the EU.

I suspect he knows full well that 'austerity' is merely the excuse to rob the poor to pay the rich. Him posing as an anti austerian is something though - even more audacious than Saint Nicola of Sturgeon.
Given that he has no idea what the new deal with the EU would cost, he should be ignored.

Bet he quoted the figures paid as a result of the 5 year pause in (part of) the rebate. It goes down quite a bit when the full rebate (which Blair "gave away" apparently ) comes back.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

yahyah wrote:Plaid know they will never have to actually enact their policy as they will never win a majority.
See also all those extra doctors.

They seem to be handing out lots of tax cuts. Where's the money coming from?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Labour Press Team Retweeted
Labour Whips ‏@labourwhips 2h2 hours ago

3.30pm @heidi_mp UQ to @Jeremy_Hunt on reports Gov has changed position on imposing new junior doctor contract - Will @Jeremy_Hunt be there?
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
yahyah wrote:Plaid know they will never have to actually enact their policy as they will never win a majority.
See also all those extra doctors.

They seem to be handing out lots of tax cuts. Where's the money coming from?
Those extra doctors, Tubby? Not that I read it, but a totally different article a few days ago suggested putting on an accent is racist. Sorry for such lateral thinking but I also note that Indians are to make up for the shortfall in doctors.

So where am I heading? Well even though I lived in Wales for a couple of years growing up, whenever I put on a Welsh accent I soon drift into Indian. I hope that doesn't make me racist. Mind you, you should hear my Brummy... and I lived round those parts for an awful lot longer. I never was good at accents but cannot help but drift into them on occasion. Despite my Mum being from Scotland, I must not drift into Scottish in Glasgow. They think you're taking the piss. My Geordie used to be quite good though. I once turned into one when mimicking a mate right down to the permed hair, purple crushed velvet trousers and pink satin jacket. It was quite frightening. As you were... I was tripping at the time.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

Louise Mensch really slipped up yesterday by trying to take on the magnificent Miss Natalie Rowe. (I saw this was discussed yesterday on the forum.)

If anyone didn't see the exchange, it was pretty hilarious the way Mensch backed down PDQ after busting on all guns blazing and accusing Miss Rowe of being a liar - now, she may be many things but a liar she most certainly ain't. As Natalie put it, once challenged Mensch 'scuttled off like a cockroach'. She did ask Mensch to respond after hours of silence:
@RealNatalieRowe: @LouiseMensch @TheWordRabbit https://t.co/wySgvuiqNo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Anything else to say now you've topped up on your medication of vinegar & piss?
The earlier exchange:
[Mensch, using hashtag WhittoForPM, accuses Rowe of lying]
@RealNatalieRowe: @LouiseMensch @TheWordRabbit https://t.co/k8N49l65k7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And EXACTLY what have I lied about BITCH ????????
@LouiseMensch: @RealNatalieRowe @TheWordRabbit
what haven't you lied about? List would be shorter
@RealNatalieRowe: @LouiseMensch @TheWordRabbit
Answer the question you pathetic " I want to be noticed " drunk
@raceyemu: Now now @RealNatalieRowe let's be kind to @LouiseMensch she's a delicate little flower
@RealNatalieRowe: @raceyemu @LouiseMensch @TheWordRabbit
She came out of nowhere, I won't pussy foot around her, ( some do) she doesn't impress me one bit.
Much later ...
@supermalttully: @raceyemu @RealNatalieRowe @LouiseMensch @TheWordRabbit
Come on @louisemensch my popcorn is going dry here!
@RealNatalieRowe: @supermalttully @raceyemu @LouiseMensch @TheWordRabbit
She picked the WRONG person to attack. She's now sobered up and realised #Mensch
Mensch's anxiety to defend Whippingdale is not unconnected to his being her first interviewee for her latest pisspoor interweb effort 'Heat Street', as noted by Zelo Street ....
http://zelo-street.blogspot.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

nickyinnorfolk wrote:Louise Mensch really slipped up yesterday by trying to take on the magnificent Miss Natalie Rowe. (I saw this was discussed yesterday on the forum.)

If anyone didn't see the exchange, it was pretty hilarious the way Mensch backed down PDQ after busting on all guns blazing and accusing Miss Rowe of being a liar - now, she may be many things but a liar she most certainly ain't. As Natalie put it, once challenged Mensch 'scuttled off like a cockroach'. She did ask Mensch to respond after hours of silence:
@RealNatalieRowe: @LouiseMensch @TheWordRabbit https://t.co/wySgvuiqNo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Anything else to say now you've topped up on your medication of vinegar & piss?
The earlier exchange:
[Mensch, using hashtag WhittoForPM, accuses Rowe of lying]
@RealNatalieRowe: @LouiseMensch @TheWordRabbit https://t.co/k8N49l65k7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And EXACTLY what have I lied about BITCH ????????
@LouiseMensch: @RealNatalieRowe @TheWordRabbit
what haven't you lied about? List would be shorter
@RealNatalieRowe: @LouiseMensch @TheWordRabbit
Answer the question you pathetic " I want to be noticed " drunk
@raceyemu: Now now @RealNatalieRowe let's be kind to @LouiseMensch she's a delicate little flower
@RealNatalieRowe: @raceyemu @LouiseMensch @TheWordRabbit
She came out of nowhere, I won't pussy foot around her, ( some do) she doesn't impress me one bit.
Much later ...
@supermalttully: @raceyemu @RealNatalieRowe @LouiseMensch @TheWordRabbit
Come on @louisemensch my popcorn is going dry here!
@RealNatalieRowe: @supermalttully @raceyemu @LouiseMensch @TheWordRabbit
She picked the WRONG person to attack. She's now sobered up and realised #Mensch
Mensch's anxiety to defend Whippingdale is not unconnected to his being her first interviewee for her latest pisspoor interweb effort 'Heat Street', as noted by Zelo Street ....
http://zelo-street.blogspot.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mensch wants to watch her step. She'll be sued one of these days..
Hopkins is being sued by that girl called Jack who does the budget recipes over accusations on Twitter.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Have to admit I've been far more taken by the story of Stan and Olli, the gay penguin couple as featured in Guardian Environment than by Osborne's latest pronouncements ... with the ever smarmy Crabb echoing that they are 'sober and serious' in a failing bid to reinforce the uninforceable.

Stan and Olli - now established as being in a long term relationship - are moving to Hamburg to be in an all male penguin house. Congratulations you two.
Working on the wild side.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Fuck off Hunt.Lie after lie,after lie,and Clarke.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

HindleA wrote:Fuck off Hunt.Lie after lie,after lie,and Clarke.
What's he being saying?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Just the usual in response to UQ from Heidi Alexander.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

My ire mainly brought on by fake concern for citizens when they cheer on policies they know kill people.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Saw the first swallow on the wing over our track this morning.

Welcome back chaps.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

MPs who block laws with huge speeches to be stopped after they're condemned over 'fraud on the people'
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mp ... ge-7780139" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MPs who block laws by giving mammoth speeches in Parliament could finally be stopped after the process was condemned as a "fraud on the people".

There was outrage when Tory MPs waffled until laws on NHS privatisation, free carers' hospital parking and school first aid ran out of time.

Now major reforms would puncture the windbags by guaranteeing a vote on seven backbench-led laws every year.

The shake-up plan, which would need to be approved by Parliament, was announced today after a major probe by the House of Commons Procedure committee.

Chairman Charles Walker said: "The private Members’ bills process is, at its worst, a fraud on the people we represent."...
Finally a ray of hope ... but it's not a certainty if it needs to be approved by Parliament. This lot - the Tories - won't want to lose one of their weapons against democracy.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Embarrassment for Cameron as key Treasury report exposes migration pledge failure
The fact the Government is making its pro-EU economic case on the basis of breaking a Conservative manifesto pledge is likely to be embarrassing for the Prime Minister, George Osborne and Home Secretary Theresa May.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 89621.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Richard James ‏@richjamesuk 7m7 minutes ago
Jeremy Hunt claims the new junior doctors' contracts is a "pro-woman contract". The doctors disagree -
Yes, fuck you Hunt. Just seeing that you have dared to say 'pro-woman contract' makes me seethe.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

stellacreasy ‏@stellacreasy 1m1 minute ago
Jeremy hunt just told john Cryer he's certain has legal power to impose contract- just doesn't know what it is ... #epicfail #JuniorDoctors
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blo ... calblog165" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stem cells: When the Beast of Bolsover snookered Enoch Powell
Enterprising use of parliamentary rules once allowed Dennis Skinner to scupper an attempt to get stem cell research banned
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

In reply to Jon Snow
stellacreasy ‏@stellacreasy 5m5 minutes ago
stellacreasy Retweeted Jon Snow
Tbh @jonsnowC4 it's not an illuminating experience when he does think he's replying ... #JuniorDoctors

Jon Snow ‏@jonsnowC4 2h2 hours ago
@Jeremy_Hunt we'd very much like to talk to you in Channel 4 News tonight..we have been asking for many weeks

Justin Madders MP ‏@justinmadders 4m4 minutes ago
When asked for legal basis for contract imposition,Jeremy Hunt reels off the process not the legal authority, clear he is struggling on this
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

Tories on the Vote Leave side of the debate are openly mocking Osborne's "efforts" today, one tweeting that Project Fear had become "Project Utter Crap"
This from Stewart Jackson:
2016-04-18_160604.jpg
2016-04-18_160604.jpg (113.05 KiB) Viewed 5430 times
Difficult to see how they can govern after 23rd June, whatever happens
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

danesclose wrote:Tories on the Vote Leave side of the debate are openly mocking Osborne's "efforts" today, one tweeting that Project Fear had become "Project Utter Crap"
2016-04-18_160604.jpg
Big mistake there. Too much working out. Back of a fag packet would be big enough.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Life as a Guardian mod.

They called it 'the worst job in the world' – my life as a Guardian moderator

http://gu.com/p/4t44q?CMP=Share_Android ... _clipboard" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016 ... are_btn_fb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Conservatives and Labour fielding far fewer women in police chief elections
Number of female candidates standing for main two parties in vote for police and crime commissioners down 46% on 2012
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Government continue to lose in the H of L in Housing Bill.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

ohsocynical wrote:
danesclose wrote:Tories on the Vote Leave side of the debate are openly mocking Osborne's "efforts" today, one tweeting that Project Fear had become "Project Utter Crap"
2016-04-18_160604.jpg
Big mistake there. Too much working out. Back of a fag packet would be big enough.
According to comments on the Guido Fawkes site, that was the original draft!
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1430103 ... estion-the" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Labour Press
Today’s revelations call into question the motives, judgement and competence of this Health Secretary - Heidi Alexander
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

StephenDolan wrote:Life as a Guardian mod.

http://gu.com/p/4t44q?CMP=Share_Android ... _clipboard" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm looking forward to reading this.

Comments on the website can exceed 70,000 a day. Yes, there are trolls, but there
is also wit, wisdom and a community worth fighting for, says a former moderator

Yes, that's why I started reading and commentating on the G threads.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

Whilst I veer between out and in more often than a tory in a madam's dungeon - Im a slender remain at the moment - Brexit do seem to have the momentum.

I wonder what odds I could get on an accumulater, Brexit, Corbyn as PM, and Sanders as president by Xmas.

I have come to the conclusion that Trump is a Democratic sleeper agent sent to destroy the GOP forever.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

citizenJA wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:Life as a Guardian mod.

I'm looking forward to reading this.

Comments on the website can exceed 70,000 a day. Yes, there are trolls, but there
is also wit, wisdom and a community worth fighting for, says a former moderator

Yes, that's why I started reading and commentating on the G threads.
To be fair outside of the politics threads things are a lot less combative and trolled out.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Arrangements are being made for emergency care," the letting people die" repeated by people who vote for people to be left to die whilst sneering at them in the process.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://speye.wordpress.com/2016/04/18/ ... -slept-in/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

UT say a bedroom is more than a room than has been slept in!!
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Have just read 'Celebrity threesome' injunction should be lifted, say appeal judges (http://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/a ... injunction) and was mildly amused by the following.
The ruling on Monday followed an attempt by the Sun on Sunday to have the original injunction overturned on the grounds that it was effectively redundant and unenforceable because the celebrity’s identify and details of the case had now been published outside the jurisdiction of the court, in the US and Scotland.
It's the attempt by the Sun to educate me that amused as they haven't a cat in hell's chance of doing so. Seriously I cannot say it's something that's rolling off the tongues of any I know as I'm still in the dark. Maybe I just haven't any friends as my bottles of Scotch from Christmas will attest; I've still not finished the first. Of course I've heard of it but have no idea who it is and quite frankly don't really care.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Tory MP's are a bit sensitive,one has just blocked a doctor for merely suggesting Hunt probably thought ethics was next to Kent.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

The press is mental at the moment. Tory party is tearing itself apart, and we have another ten weeks of this till the vote. The closer the race, the more desperate both sides are going to be. This open warfare is far worse than the 90s I think.

Labour, Greens etc are wise to stay well out of it.

To answer aa question posed yesterday, The greens won't be going into any form a coalition with UKIP or the Tories in the Assembly, doubt were going to get a seat though, so...
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Temulkar wrote:Whilst I veer between out and in more often than a tory in a madam's dungeon - Im a slender remain at the moment - Brexit do seem to have the momentum.

I wonder what odds I could get on an accumulater, Brexit, Corbyn as PM, and Sanders as president by Xmas.

I have come to the conclusion that Trump is a Democratic sleeper agent sent to destroy the GOP forever.
The polls aren't moving much re Brexit though, and I suspect Corbyn's "reluctant yes" speaks for an awful lot of voters out there.

Trump is looking rather unlikely to get the Republican nomination now, which raises the question of what his often zealous backers will then do.

Hard to see them obediently lining up behind some other nominee, though.....
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

I thought filibustering wasn't supposed to be allowed and that the Speaker was irresponsible to allow it. Whatever the case it really should be stamped on. It's frightening to think members of the House that are payed to represent us think it a good use of our funds. I cannot think of any other professional role where they'd be allowed to get away with it.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016 ... are_btn_fb

Conservatives and Labour fielding far fewer women in police chief elections
Number of female candidates standing for main two parties in vote for police and crime commissioners down 46% on 2012
That's a shame. I'm of the opinion some areas of work and endeavour especially require a balance of men and women working together. Teaching, politics, law enforcement, healthcare (not a comprehensive list) - those are public service jobs, serving the needs of all people. Some working groups without men or without women cause dysfunctional outcomes, a disequilibrium - it's not wholesome and society suffers.

I don't know if it's true or not but it's been suggested if more women had worked in the financial sector, volatile financial products and excessive risk taking may not have occurred causing the problems we're still living with eight years on. Again, I don't know if that's true or not. I'd rather have my eyes put out than work in the financial sector.

I do know there are some jobs, some occupations society must require a balance of men and women staffing the work. Men and women, I mean globally, universally speaking, bring different strengths to the project making it whole.

Apologies for grammatical errors.