Monday 18th April 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 18th April 2016

Post by PorFavor »

Some foot fetishist on BBC now, speaking about energy prices. Customers are voting with their feet and the bigger suppliers are dragging their heels.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Trump is looking rather unlikely to get the Republican nomination now, which raises the question of what his often zealous backers will then do.

Hard to see them obediently lining up behind some other nominee, though.....
To be honest Ted Cruz, like any other religious fundamentalist with power & a nuclear button, scares the Bejaysus out of me.
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Double edged sword it has stopped,the banning of stem cell research,residualisation of the Abortion Act,to name but two-obviously this depends on your view on such matters.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

StephenDolan wrote:Life as a Guardian mod.

They called it 'the worst job in the world' – my life as a Guardian moderator

http://gu.com/p/4t44q?CMP=Share_Android ... _clipboard" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Interesting article. He talks about how keeping btl informative and civil is becoming more of a challenge. It reminds me of something a pub landlord once said to me about pub clientele and how to get the ones you want. He said if you stand behind the bar pulling pints in a Mickey mouse t-shirt, you'll attract Mickey mouse t-shirt wearing customers. The point being that if you get your bar staff to dress more smartly, you'll get more smartly dressed customers with deeper pockets. It's the subtle art of retail psychology. In other words, the Guardian sets the standard of the debate with the standard if its content. It's not a direct correlation, but it's the basic jumping off point. And I don't think it's a left/right thing or a highbrow/lowbrow thing, I think it's a factual/opinion thing. The more factual, rather than opinion based the article, the more civilised and interesting the btl conversation is. At least that's how it seems to me. Highly opinionated pieces are like a red rag to a bull. It's so obvious I have often assumed it was deliberate up to a point, although the reaction to the refugee crisis that the author particularly mentions clearly wasn't deliberately provoked, at least not by the G, but is more the culmination of the drip, drip, drip influence of the British tabloids rising to the surface.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Temulkar wrote:
citizenJA wrote:

http://gu.com/p/4t44q?CMP=Share_Android ... _clipboard" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm looking forward to reading this.

Comments on the website can exceed 70,000 a day. Yes, there are trolls, but there
is also wit, wisdom and a community worth fighting for, says a former moderator

Yes, that's why I started reading and commentating on the G threads.
To be fair outside of the politics threads things are a lot less combative and trolled out.
Sure - when we're face to face and others look on and listen, we're more likely to be nicer.
The anonymity of the Internet can be used to give voice to things we'd not likely say in person.
I write for my own self - I've posted heated words and I've apologised for rudeness when I've been able to get back in time to do so - to use words solely to hurt another, giving voice to what I know full well is nothing but nasty, isn't good for me or anyone else.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Have we had this?
Labour’s economic case for Britain’s EU membership

Seema Malhotra MP
Labour’s Shadow Chief Secretary of the Treasury
speech to the Landing, Media City
18 April 2016

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1429998 ... membership
TR'sGhost
Minister of State

Post by TR'sGhost »

Willow904 wrote:

Interesting article. He talks about how keeping btl informative and civil is becoming more of a challenge. It reminds me of something a pub landlord once said to me about pub clientele and how to get the ones you want. He said if you stand behind the bar pulling pints in a Mickey mouse t-shirt, you'll attract Mickey mouse t-shirt wearing customers. The point being that if you get your bar staff to dress more smartly, you'll get more smartly dressed customers with deeper pockets. It's the subtle art of retail psychology. In other words, the Guardian sets the standard of the debate with the standard if its content. It's not a direct correlation, but it's the basic jumping off point. And I don't think it's a left/right thing or a highbrow/lowbrow thing, I think it's a factual/opinion thing. The more factual, rather than opinion based the article, the more civilised and interesting the btl conversation is. At least that's how it seems to me. Highly opinionated pieces are like a red rag to a bull. It's so obvious I have often assumed it was deliberate up to a point, although the reaction to the refugee crisis that the author particularly mentions clearly wasn't deliberately provoked, at least not by the G, but is more the culmination of the drip, drip, drip influence of the British tabloids rising to the surface.
There's a substantial alliance of right-wing to very right-wing, "mens rights" misogynists and outright "why won't they let me call a spade a n****r" types under every article to do with moderation explaining that they are the Guardian's true and loyal long-term readership, but all these articles that don't say Islam is always evil, immigration weakens our vital bodily fluids, welfare dependency=unforgivable weakness and the greatest victims of prejudice and oppression are 50+ well off white men is driving even them away.

I wonder if the Guardian has ever realised that the principle aim of such is to either push the Guardian into joining the rest of the media (Mirror excepted), or contribute to the Guardian ceasing publication at all. As one put it a few months ago "we are not here to make friends or for debate. We are here to do political combat."
I'm getting tired of calming down....
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

citizenJA wrote:... Sure - when we're face to face and others look on and listen, we're more likely to be nicer..
What's with the 'we', гражданка, you don't speak for me!
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
TR'sGhost
Minister of State

Post by TR'sGhost »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:I'm not one of those who think that Dave and Gidiot secretly desire a "leave" vote.

The trouble is, they don't know any other way of "campaigning" than what they are doing at the moment. And after all, it "worked" a year ago at the GE, so why not now? Well, one not insignificant difference is that they don't have the press doing its worst on their behalf this time around.
I'm not sure what else they can do. For starters they need to very rapidly undo all the pro-Tory propaganda that has painted St Margaret of Grantham as a heroic defender of our Island Race against the Hunnish European Hordes (please don't be so rude as to point out she shouted one thing while quietly signing up to the opposite). Destroying the hold the media cultivated Maggie mythology has on part of the population can't be done in a year, and so far they haven't even tried.

The convinced kippers regard Cameron and Osborne as rabid Cultural Marxists, so will heap abuse on anything they say anyway.

For everything Cameron and Osborne say there are two back-benchers quietly, or not so quietly, ringing round the media and their colleagues.

I doubt the newspaper barons (should that be website barons now?) are particularly bothered whether the UK is in the EU or not. Or even if the UK survives as an entity. What they, and their kind, want is free rein for the wealthy, no restrictions on hiding your wealth abroad, lower taxes for themselves and a return to the low tax, zero social wage, low pay high profits era of the mid 19th century through to the 1900s. Truly a time the wealthy never had it so good. A country home or two to go with the town house, lots of domestic staff, travelling first class on ocean liners and the lower orders knew their place and were forcibly reminded of it of necessary. The only blots being the 1864 Reform Act which gave male plebs the vote and the Haldane reforms which meant one couldnt purchase a Guards commission or senior civil service post for the second son any more.

Meanwhile, the capitalists who greatly rely on the EU are horrified. But they were previously happy enough to fund and support the Tories because they never thought all that anti-EU rhetoric could come home to roost.

The monster the Tories helped create has turned on them, because their idiot leader amd his advisors made a promise they were sure he'd never have to keep because they didn't think he could win an overall Commons majority.
I'm getting tired of calming down....
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Saw the first swallow on the wing over our track this morning.

Welcome back chaps.
We saw our first yesterday.
No swifts yet.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

yahyah wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:Saw the first swallow on the wing over our track this morning.

Welcome back chaps.
No swifts yet.

Yes - it's a bit early for them . . . . .
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

yahyah wrote:

Welcome back chaps.
No swifts yet.
Blimey. They'll be short of food if they come around here. It's very cold. Frosts in the morning, and next weekend temps dropping again. Not even warm enough for bedding plants at present. The ones I've seen have been hanging over looking very sad.

The gardens are behind too, which is ironic considering I had spring flowers in bloom at Christmas.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Our bats are out already.
In fact some of them have been active all through the winter, as constant fresh bat poo on the window shows. That's unusual for them here.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Welsh Tories, led by a Brexit fan, are promising income tax cuts.
They've obviously not been listening to Osborne's 8 pence on income tax if we Brexit threat.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

yahyah wrote:Welsh Tories, led by a Brexit fan, are promising income tax cuts.
They've obviously not been listening to Osborne's 8 pence on income tax if we Brexit threat.
That'll be to offset their tuition fees increase to £9,000 then. That's a winner of a policy eh.
Working on the wild side.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

utopiandreams wrote:Have just read 'Celebrity threesome' injunction should be lifted, say appeal judges (http://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/a ... injunction) and was mildly amused by the following.
The ruling on Monday followed an attempt by the Sun on Sunday to have the original injunction overturned on the grounds that it was effectively redundant and unenforceable because the celebrity’s identify and details of the case had now been published outside the jurisdiction of the court, in the US and Scotland.
It's the attempt by the Sun to educate me that amused as they haven't a cat in hell's chance of doing so. Seriously I cannot say it's something that's rolling off the tongues of any I know as I'm still in the dark. Maybe I just haven't any friends as my bottles of Scotch from Christmas will attest; I've still not finished the first. Of course I've heard of it but have no idea who it is and quite frankly don't really care.
One good thing to come out of this, is that the Sun seem to have boned their former employee, Paul Staines: http://zelo-street.blogspot.co.uk/2016/ ... awkes.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Faisal Islam ‏@faisalislam 4m4 minutes ago
National Farmer's Union backs Remaining in European Union: http://www.nfuonline.com/news/featured- ... eferendum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Now there's a surprise.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Haven't seen any swallows yet.

But i saw an enormous red kite this morning, having spent a sleepless night listening to our local owl (I think it's a tawny)

Otters were spotted up the road in Glasbury over the weekend.

Jeez, i'm lucky to live where I do.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I've had a sudden thought.

Cameron broke every single one of his election promises except the Referendum ... Why? How come?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ephemerid wrote:Haven't seen any swallows yet.

But i saw an enormous red kite this morning, having spent a sleepless night listening to our local owl (I think it's a tawny)

Otters were spotted up the road in Glasbury over the weekend.

Jeez, i'm lucky to live where I do.
Lots of Red Kites over Reading and we have a pair that patrols the sky over our area of Bracknell ....
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

ohsocynical wrote:I've had a sudden thought.

Cameron broke every single one of his election promises except the Referendum ... Why? How come?

Because.....it was the only one that, if he hadn't kept it, would have caused a major back bench rebellion.

They are happy to watch every budget cut, every public service privatised, every benefit claimant sanctioned....but no referendum?

No chance.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

David Taylor ‏@david_taylor 1h1 hour ago

Obviously I'm biased but WelshTory "manifesto" such a substandard piece of work am genuinely surprised PM agreed to put his name to it (1/2)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

utopiandreams wrote:
citizenJA wrote:... Sure - when we're face to face and others look on and listen, we're more likely to be nicer..
What's with the 'we', гражданка, you don't speak for me!
Indeed, I don't - apologies.
:rock:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.supremecourt.uk/news/r-on-t ... ellor.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Legal aid residence test declared illegal.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ephemerid wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:I've had a sudden thought.

Because.....it was the only one that, if he hadn't kept it, would have caused a major back bench rebellion.

They are happy to watch every budget cut, every public service privatised, every benefit claimant sanctioned....but no referendum?

No chance.
I think Dave was good to go on the EU Referendum because it could provide a lot of diversion from domestic difficulty.
I'm uncertain if Dave still thinks it was a good idea - I genuinely don't know and couldn't guess.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Three defeats,so far on pay to say -voted to make discretionary ,taper to 10p;£40,000 outside;£50,000 in London;making concessions on fixed terms tenancies-ten years if disabled and others unspecified -in regulations.

http://www.24dash.com/news/housing/2016 ... tay-damage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Question is,are they going to invoke financial privilige in enacting "saves" less than implement policies,again?
Last edited by HindleA on Mon 18 Apr, 2016 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Heard a Radio 4 piece on the removal of long term council tenancies earlier today. Generally thought to be nonsense because no council will want to evict anyone with young children - and most families getting new council tenancies will be those with young children - and after 5 years those young children will be in primary school so no council will want to evict / terminate tenancy - and then after 10 years those children will be in secondary education and no council will want to evict / terminate tenancy - and then after 15 years or so the tenants pretty much have a right to a long term tenancy .....

It's simply bloody nasty stupidity.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I fully expect "Celebrity Threesome" to become a TV show in the not too distant future.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Some "Out" campaign economist was referring to how things were pre-1975 (BBC TV news). What happened in 1975?

He was on with Vicki Pryce (sp?) - of Chris Huhne fame - who's an "Inner". I see VP on the BBC fairly often lately (ie in the past year or so).

Edited to add

1975 - "Rollermania". Best I can do, I'm afraid.
Last edited by PorFavor on Mon 18 Apr, 2016 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

UKIP ‏@UKIP 3m3 minutes ago
#UKIP Leader @Nigel_Farage is on stage @Grassroots_Out event in Stoke-On-Trent now. Watch it live here
http://livestream.com/grassrootsout/grassrootsoutstoke" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
alex thomson ‏@alextomo 4m4 minutes ago
Standing ovation for Farage before he's even hit the stage
I don't imagine citizenja is amongst the audience ...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PorFavor wrote:I fully expect "Celebrity Threesome" to become a TV show in the not too distant future.
I've sort of idly wondered what the 'audience participation' element to that show might be .... voting on .... what? Grisly.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:I fully expect "Celebrity Threesome" to become a TV show in the not too distant future.
I've sort of idly wondered what the 'audience participation' element to that show might be .... voting on .... what? Grisly.
Ha! Whatever it might entail, there's bound to be a clapometer involved . . .

(Sorry!)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.basicincome.org/news/2016/04 ... dividuals/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does the Basic Income overlook disabled individuals?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
UKIP ‏@UKIP 3m3 minutes ago
#UKIP Leader @Nigel_Farage is on stage @Grassroots_Out event in Stoke-On-Trent now. Watch it live here
http://livestream.com/grassrootsout/grassrootsoutstoke" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
alex thomson ‏@alextomo 4m4 minutes ago
Standing ovation for Farage before he's even hit the stage
I don't imagine citizenja is amongst the audience ...
My sense of smell is unerring
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

PorFavor wrote:Some "Out" campaign economist was referring to how things were pre-1975 (BBC TV news). What happened in 1975?

He was on with Vicki Pryce (sp?) - of Chris Huhne fame - who's an "Inner". I see VP on the BBC fairly often lately (ie in the past year or so).
Our previous referendum on Europe?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/polit ... ar_twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nicola Sturgeon's SNP manifesto will use new powers to build dignified system for disabled Scots
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Welsh Tories vow to cut income tax and set up cancer drug fund
Party leader in Wales accuses Labour of 17 years of mismanagement as he launches assembly elections manifesto

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... -manifesto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What key manifesto pledges those are ....

Cutting income tax we've dealt with earlier. Cancer drug fund .... compare and contrast with the Labour pledge to set up a fund covering serious illnesses and treatments (not just cancer).
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
PorFavor wrote:Some "Out" campaign economist was referring to how things were pre-1975 (BBC TV news). What happened in 1975?

Our previous referendum on Europe?

Yes - you're right. I had it in my head that it took place in 1973. Which is the date (joining) I think he was alluding to going by what he was saying.
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

PorFavor wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

(Sorry!)
Or even a swingometer....
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@Hobiejoe

Ha!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Frank Field proposes national wage top-up for lower paid over-50s

Labour MP and welfare reform campaigner says idea would help counter higher unemployment rate among 50–64 age group (Guardian)
Might help some of the people at the retirement end of the scale but, otherwise, not much help. Not much help to anyone if their current low earnings are miles away from their previous wage, either. I suspect the motives behind this idea.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... wer-paid-o
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Gunge tank
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Hobiejoe wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: I've sort of idly wondered what the 'audience participation' element to that show might be .... voting on .... what? Grisly.

(Sorry!)
Eurgh, a twist on Fifteen to One :sick:

Edit: I realise most quiz gameshow names can be taken that way if so inclined.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

Edited to add

Didn't we have out of contol inflation at one point? I vaguely remember going into the shops, and you could peel back the price labels to reveal older-cheaper prices on sweets and then take them to the checkout. Not that I ever did such a thing, of course.

And who could forget this

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And there was Bohemian Rhapsody.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

Temulkar wrote:

Edited to add

Didn't we have out of contol inflation at one point? I vaguely remember going into the shops, and you could peel back the price labels to reveal older-cheaper prices on sweets and then take them to the checkout. Not that I ever did such a thing, of course.

That link should have come with a health warning.

And so should Bohemian Rhapsody.
The truth ferret speaks!
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

mbc1955 wrote:
Temulkar wrote:

Edited to add

That link should have come with a health warning.

And so should Bohemian Rhapsody.
My grandmother loved that song - not Bohemian Rhapsody - so I kind of have a soft spot for it.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/h ... 55ceead906" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Housing Bill: Government Faces U-Turn Over ‘Pay To Stay’ After Hat-Trick Of House of Lords Defeats
Housing and Planning Bill has now lost six times after peers voted to alter ‘vindictive’ charge
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Hobiejoe wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: I've sort of idly wondered what the 'audience participation' element to that show might be .... voting on .... what? Grisly.

(Sorry!)
The brain boggles....
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

HindleA wrote:http://www.basicincome.org/news/2016/04 ... dividuals/

Does the Basic Income overlook disabled individuals?
Think so, though there are different versions.

The DLA/PIP payments are separate, and assessed like they are now. The basic income covers what would be sickness benefit/JSA.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Temulkar wrote:

Edited to add

I remember the galloping inflation. It made life very difficult. Wages rose quite a bit in an attempt to keep up, and that took the poorest into income tax, but they never rose enough to keep up with the rises, or make up for the extra in taxes. We never caught up. It happens with every recession.

I think the winter of power cuts was around '73?