Tuesday 19th April 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 19th April 2016

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ry-clinton" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Only Bernie Sanders can break the power of capitalism in the US
Paul Mason
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I've just heard a clip of Michael Gove's speech. He actually said, "A happy journey to a better future". I preferred the other version but heigh-ho.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:I've just heard a clip of Michael Gove's speech. He actually said, "A happy journey to a better future". I preferred the other version but heigh-ho.
And we all sat around the campfire eating marshmallows, hugged our neighbours, and lived happily ever after.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Britain will join “Bosnia, Serbia, Albania and Ukraine” in a European free trade zone, said Michael Gove, the pro-Brexit justice secretary, as he sketched out a vision of the future outside the EU.
FT

:lol:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liv ... n-11209392" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hillsborough inquests jury asks for clarification on question of unlawful killing

JFT 96 YNWA
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Dear me Gove talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

With all due respect to those countries, none of which I have experience of, I fear it will be quoted back to him by Dave and co.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Britain will join “Bosnia, Serbia, Albania and Ukraine” in a European free trade zone, said Michael Gove, the pro-Brexit justice secretary, as he sketched out a vision of the future outside the EU.
FT

Super. Let's go for it - it'll be a dream come true!
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
FT

As already pointed out, that presumably means we will be aspirant entrants again? :)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Guido Fawkes ‏@GuidoFawkes 1h1 hour ago

Treasury Ministers have just told MPs they will be exempted from money laundering checks in new Financial Services Bill. Unbelievable. 1/2
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I've got the (old?) dirge-like Radio Tirana call-sign stuck in my head now. I blame PaulfromYorkshire.

(Previously, I had "Whispering Grass" - a hang-over from yesterday.)
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Minister urges charities to speak out in EU referendum debate

http://gu.com/p/4ten6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So about that Charities Act and political comment. Did that not happen? First the individual voter registration mess, now this plea. Useless. A bunch of useless...
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

ohsocynical wrote:Guido Fawkes ‏@GuidoFawkes 1h1 hour ago

Treasury Ministers have just told MPs they will be exempted from money laundering checks in new Financial Services Bill. Unbelievable. 1/2
I really can't imagine how they would benefit from exemption . . .
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

George Osborne this afternoon accepted an amendment to the Financial Services Bill which will see some Politically Exposed Persons and their families exempted from these anti-money laundering rules. Ministers will now “exclude… specified categories of persons” from the list of so-called PEPs, as Osborne says it is “disproportionate” for banks to include MPs and relatives on the watch list. Mossack Fonseca will be able to whisk MPs and their families through the account opening process…

http://order-order.com/2016/04/19/osbor ... ng-checks/
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

PorFavor wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Guido Fawkes ‏@GuidoFawkes 1h1 hour ago

I really can't imagine how they would benefit from exemption . . .

All those foreign trips to tax havens and Treasury briefcases might come in handy...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

John Whittingdale on the front of the Standard. Wonder how much longer he can hang on.
2016-04-19_170910.jpg
2016-04-19_170910.jpg (103.82 KiB) Viewed 5155 times
Culture Secretary John Whittingdale today admitted accepting free hospitality from a London lapdancing club while chairing an inquiry into its licensing regime.
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Bracknell Urgent Care Centre defends service following CQC report

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/readin ... s-11189238
Cripes. This is where Mr Ohso has to go daily, five days a week, for six weeks for his radiotherapy...We'll have to check with the Royal Berks hospital that they're up to scratch....But if they're not, gawd knows how we'll get to Reading every day especially as they advise not to drive immediately after treatment.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

James Doleman ‏@jamesdoleman 5h5 hours ago
James Doleman Retweeted Evening Standard
#Whittingdale says he met the club on the Internet and had no idea of it's nature until a reporter told him.
Natalie Rowe ‏@RealNatalieRowe 31m31 minutes ago
@Mandi_Tinker More is coming out on SexPest @JWhittingdale then this TWAT >>>@David_Cameron will look even more stupid than he does and is !
Working on the wild side.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
James Doleman ‏@jamesdoleman 5h5 hours ago
James Doleman Retweeted Evening Standard
#Whittingdale says he met the club on the Internet and had no idea of it's nature until a reporter told him.
Natalie Rowe ‏@RealNatalieRowe 31m31 minutes ago
@Mandi_Tinker More is coming out on SexPest @JWhittingdale then this TWAT >>>@David_Cameron will look even more stupid than he does and is !
And I thought I wasn't safe to be let loose on the internet. Has he also fallen foul of any Nigerian financial scams? He must be a prime target for them, given his naivety.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

PorFavor wrote:I've got the (old?) dirge-like Radio Tirana call-sign stuck in my head now. I blame PaulfromYorkshire.

(Previously, I had "Whispering Grass" - a hang-over from yesterday.)
I've got "We are the Ovaltineys" in mine,
I'm not entirely sure why,I'm blaming Gove,
but suspect OhSo's marshmallows may have contributed.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mirror Politics ‏@MirrorPolitics 14m14 minutes ago
Head teacher's heartbreak as she quits career after 23 years due to Tory plans http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/pr ... st-7788527" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Another one quits very publicly - and from a school in Tory heartland.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Gove said in a speech on Tuesday that if voters chose to leave the EU in June’s referendum, it would be a reassertion of the system of democratic self-government pioneered by Britain and copied all over the world.

“Democratic self-government has manifestly brought benefits to India, Japan, Norway, Switzerland, South Africa, South Korea and scores of nations all making their way in the world. Indeed the truth is that it is membership of an organisation like the European Union which is an anomaly today.”
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_ ... ssociation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_Union" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associati ... an_Nations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Asi ... ooperation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What a pseudo-intellectual idiot he is.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Left Foot Forward ‏@LeftFootFwd 5m5 minutes ago
Government drops #TUbill proposal on 'check-off' https://leftfootforward.org/2016/04/gov ... check-off/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Pretty big climb down.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Gove said in a speech on Tuesday that if voters chose to leave the EU in June’s referendum, it would be a reassertion of the system of democratic self-government pioneered by Britain and copied all over the world.

“Democratic self-government has manifestly brought benefits to India, Japan, Norway, Switzerland, South Africa, South Korea and scores of nations all making their way in the world...."

What a pseudo-intellectual idiot he is.
Talking of pseudo;intellectual idiots,
Now I'm getting the theme from 'Cheers'
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

My Green neighbour popped down for a chat this afternoon to see how I was.

After chewing the fat on health, birds, life, the topic turned to the EU referendum.
My Green pal is voting Leave because....I am not paraphrasing or exaggerating...she wants 'the whole thing' to come tumbling down, hopefully a collapse of the economy because it will bring about the 'revolution' when people suffer as the shit hits the fan.

I was speechless at that. My husband politely kept his gob shut. Part of her rationale is that zero hours contracts started in Germany therefore we are better off out of the EU.

I asked what she thought about Brexit with the possibility of endless Tory goverments after.
How much would the NHS, public services, employee rights, vulnerable groups and the environment she loves so much suffer without having some protection from the EU.
Her position seems to be 'f*** it', rebellious child. She isn't even pretending to think things might be better with Brexit just that it will force massive upheaval.

Unbelievable. She and her husband are pretty well off, own a house in Brighton they rent out as well as the 12 acre property here. So they won't suffer. Just when I thought I could start feeling better about Greens. Thank goodness their party leader has more sense.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

London Greens re second vote.jpg
London Greens re second vote.jpg (34.85 KiB) Viewed 5070 times
Sunny Hundal ‏@sunny_hundal 7m7 minutes ago
So much for that 'progressive alliance' Green party keep talking up. Self-serving rubbish http://www.mayorwatch.co.uk/greens-vote ... nce-votes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Better than endorsing Zac Goldsmith for second votes which was the previous suggestion by some.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Ooh dear - hadn't seen yahyah's post before posting mine above. Pure coincidence - no intention to have a concerted go at Greens.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Must be something in the stars RR.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Part of her rationale is that zero hours contracts started in Germany therefore we are better off out of the EU.
http://www.oecd.org/els/emp/oecdindicat ... ection.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On all three measurements, Germany's employees are more protected than Britain's.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Thanks Tubby.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

yahyah wrote:Thanks Tubby.
De rien.

Looks a good source. We can sometimes overcook the "neo-liberalism" in the rest of the EU. Lots of it is moving towards Britain, but still some distance short of where we got by the mid 90s. Even with more rightwing governments, there still looks to be some caution in how far they're prepared to go, and when they see some of our long term social problems, it's no wonder.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Peter Smith ‏@Redpeter99 27m27 minutes ago
Gove wants to resign from a cricket club, rejoin for free, be guaranteed a 1st XI place and not be subject to the LBW law. @BBCNews #Brexit

If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Part of her rationale is that zero hours contracts started in Germany therefore we are better off out of the EU.
http://www.oecd.org/els/emp/oecdindicat ... ection.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On all three measurements, Germany's employees are more protected than Britain's.
She sounds to me like one of those intelligent people that inexplicably lives in a 'bubble'.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

ohsocynical wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:

She sounds to me like one of those intelligent people that inexplicably lives in a 'bubble'.
Bubble sounds like exactly the right word- and probably not one she'd welcome.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Charlie Cooper
‏@CharlieCooper8

Breaking: Jeremy Hunt rejects BMA's offer to cancel strike in exchange for halting imposition of the new junior doctor contract.
What is there to say about this...
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
FT

Lysergic acid diethylamide
be careful, MG
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:
Charlie Cooper
‏@CharlieCooper8

Breaking: Jeremy Hunt rejects BMA's offer to cancel strike in exchange for halting imposition of the new junior doctor contract.
Hunt's altered state of consciousness is scarier than Gove's
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

citizenJA wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
Charlie Cooper
‏@CharlieCooper8

He's painted himself into a corner. The knob.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Hunt's handled the BMA about as well as Johnson's handled the unions on the Underground.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

danesclose wrote:John Whittingdale on the front of the Standard. Wonder how much longer he can hang on.
Culture Secretary John Whittingdale today admitted accepting free hospitality from a London lapdancing club while chairing an inquiry into its licensing regime.
That's profoundly illegal.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

That nice young woman deserves better. She's not doing her reputation any good hanging out with dodgy characters.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Politically Exposed Persons and their families exempted from these anti-money laundering rules
I can't believe this
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

citizenJA wrote:
Politically Exposed Persons and their families exempted from these anti-money laundering rules
I can't believe this

How are they defining "politically exposed" and "families" in this context, I wonder? (Apologies if this information is easily available - I'm not firing on all of my one cylinder today.)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://touchstoneblog.org.uk/2016/04/tr ... um=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Trade Union Bill takes a battering in the Lords: What’s next in #TUbill campaign?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

StephenDolan wrote:Minister urges charities to speak out in EU referendum debate

http://gu.com/p/4ten6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So about that Charities Act and political comment. Did that not happen? First the individual voter registration mess, now this plea. Useless. A bunch of useless...
When Tory interests are at stake, laws don't apply.

I'm reading a book published around the turn of the 20th century called, When I Was A Child, by Charles Shaw. The Potteries were one of the last places child labour laws were applied, making employers' use of child labour a crime. The strutting bantam employers using people, treating others as though they were disposable, using children and other working peoples' labour to fund their lives while those workers went without proper food, rest or wages remind me of the current Tory front bench. That may sound hackneyed, my observations, but I wasn't expecting to find the similarity when I started reading it - I wasn't expecting Shaw's experiences and characters sketches to find contemporary resonance with me but they do. Frightening times. There's all kinds of evidence from history demonstrating life might not get better for each generation but can lapse back into carelessly using people as though they were tools.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

HindleA wrote:http://touchstoneblog.org.uk/2016/04/tr ... um=twitter

Trade Union Bill takes a battering in the Lords: What’s next in #TUbill campaign?
I think online balloting is going to be very hard fought for by Labour. Disgraceful if the Tories won't allow that.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

ohsocynical wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
ohsocynical wrote: What is there to say about this...
He's painted himself into a corner. The knob.
By now, this has turned into a (forgive the crudity) d*ck-measuring contest for Hunt. The outcome is unimportant, as long as he is seen to win, and not to have compromised even as much as 1%. It's lunatic.
The truth ferret speaks!
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

Speak of lunatics...

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/a ... in-sorrell" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I had anything to do with Formula 1, my resignation would be on the table at 9.00am tomorrow, out of sheer embarrassment.
The truth ferret speaks!
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Labour chiefs vow to overturn McDonald's party conference ban
https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/po ... alds-party" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I wondered who these 'chiefs' were. Surprise, surprise it's actually 'moderates' .... elsewhere called 'senior' Labour MPs.
Baroness Prosser, Labour's treasurer from 1996 until 2001, said the party was "not in a position to be turning down money”.

Appearing on the BBC's Daily Politics yesterday, she said: "Clearly if you’ve got a principled position then the money has to come second, but what is the principled position against McDonald’s? I don’t get it.”
That's strange as the principled position which the decision was based on seems to have been set out pretty clearly.
...This website revealed yesterday that the decision was taken in protest at the company's refusal to recognise trade unions and use zero hours contracts...

Jeremy Corbyn last night defended the move after being confronted by MPs at the weekly meeting of the parliamentary Labour party.

Seaking afterwardsm his spokesman said: "We have a responsibility to take seriously the rights of workers to be represented. It's important that companies don't reject recognition."
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Harry Cole ‏@MrHarryCole 2m2 minutes ago
EXC: Danczuk gives ex-wife a £12k job, sparking local outrage:
Sorry it's the Sun ...
One local Labour source complained last night that “this will be seen as fleecing the taxpayer yet again” and the pair “are already seen locally as freeloaders out for themselves”.

They added: “The response on the doorstep in Rochdale in the run up to May’s local elections is dire and the number one issue on the doorstep is ‘The f***ing Danczuks’.”