Tuesday 26th April 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
danesclose
Whip

Re: Tuesday 26th April 2016

Post by danesclose »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Graeme Demianyk ‏@GraemeDemianyk 13m13 minutes ago
This Government would've "probably said no” to children fleeing Nazis, says Lord Dubs
From Barney Farmer:
2016-04-26_171821.jpg
2016-04-26_171821.jpg (123.7 KiB) Viewed 9332 times
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Cathy Newman ‏@cathynewman 39s39 seconds ago
. @Jeremy_Hunt tells me on tonight's @Channel4News that he hopes this won't be his "miners' strike moment". Do tune in at 7
Working on the wild side.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
. @Jeremy_Hunt tells me on tonight's @Channel4News that he hopes this won't be his "miners' strike moment". Do tune in at 7
I thought Thatcher's "miners strike moment" was a success from the Tory perspective. If Hunt didn't actually want to break the junior doctors as an example to other public sector workers who will be next to face reduced pay and conditions, why on earth did he issue an ultimatum which only a broken union would ever agree to and which he could only back down from with a loss of face and possibly his post?
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Willow904 wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
I thought Thatcher's "miners strike moment" was a success from the Tory perspective. If Hunt didn't actually want to break the junior doctors as an example to other public sector workers who will be next to face reduced pay and conditions, why on earth did he issue an ultimatum which only a broken union would ever agree to and which he could only back down from with a loss of face and possibly his post?

Blimey. Don't say he is going to push it so far we'll see the same as happened to the Miners?
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

RR2@

We got an election leaflet from a group called People First.
They seem to have evolved out of a group of councillors in Carmarthenshire.
Just wonder if you have any knowledge about them. Something just didn't seem right to me.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Any sign of hilarious Boris? Wallowing in self-pity, eh?

I never liked Michael Howard but at least he had Johnson's number.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

There's a list of people who need to apologise.
The Sun are fond of demanding apologies, time for them to make one.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

There's a list of people who need to apologise.
The Sun are fond of demanding apologies, time for them to make one.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Corbyn and John McDonnell out with the junior doctors on their march.
They, and the crowd, are calling for Hunt to come out of hiding.

yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Are there really two teddy bears wearing surgical scrub masks on their heads next to Corbyn and McDonnell ? Or do I need new specs ?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Billy Lynn ‏@LillyBynn 23h23 hours ago Belfast, Northern Ireland

Just got PUP election leaflet through the door. A few seconds later a DUP one. Looked out the door only one person leafleting!!

Gallahers Blues
‏@GallahersBlues
@LillyBynn I got a single bundle of leaflets from about half a dozen parties delivered yesterday!
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tomorrows Evening Standard.jpg
Tomorrows Evening Standard.jpg (72.93 KiB) Viewed 9242 times
Ian Dunt Retweeted
Adam Bienkov ‏@AdamBienkov 21m21 minutes ago
Distinguishing between the Evening Standard and official Zac Goldsmith campaign literature is getting harder.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

08:00, 29 JUN 2010 UPDATED 01:08, 8 MAY 2013
BY LIVERPOOL ECHO

Fury as sports secretary Jeremy Hunt links Hillsborough with hooliganism

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liv ... ar_twitter
Dearie me, he was at it even then....
martinson
Backbencher

Post by martinson »

Good evening.
A really sad day today for me. I sobbed when Margaret Aspinall was speaking about her son I can't raise a cheer for justice to be honest so many needless avoidable deaths and so much family grief it hurts. The callous behaviour of police, politicians and the media says an awful lot about the elite side of our society many with a funny handshake which still rules the roost. David Cameron's faux sympathy for political credit is vomit inducing. We need this stuff exposed forensically really but there are few vehicles available. The doctors situation is more of the same full of lies and misleading propaganda with the media complicit. Heidi Alexander hardly got a mention yesterday when she challenged and shamed Hunt - disgraceful press coverage again. Someone should draw the similarities between the two examples of shameful behaviour by the establishment of government and media. I despair but of course we need to be strong and determined to fight back. I think that surprisingly Jeremy Corbyn may become the man of our time as we are in desperate need of some common decency around which we can rally.
I wish you all well particularly those with illness at the moment.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Is it me or has Tubby gone AWOL recently? Not that he needs permission to not be here I hasten to add.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Jeremy *unt says being Health Secretary is his "last big job in politics" - off to BUPA, are we?

Best placard on doc's march so far - "I didn't train for years to work for Richard Branson".

martinson - sending a hug.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

yahyah wrote:RR2@

Just wonder if you have any knowledge about them. Something just didn't seem right to me.
You might find this page from their website iinteresting:
http://www.peoplefirstwales.org.uk/sear ... ur%20Party" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They appear to be Plaid splitters and the basis of splitting appears to be Plaid not hating Labour enough and hating the Tories too much.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

The day Margaret Thatcher patronised grieving Hillsborough mum Margaret Aspinall

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liv ... g-11229479
Brings back those bad days of having such a hard hearted women in charge of the country. She's the reason I'm wary of women politicians.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Willow904 wrote:
yahyah wrote:RR2@

You might find this page from their website iinteresting:
http://www.peoplefirstwales.org.uk/sear ... ur%20Party" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They appear to be Plaid splitters and the basis of splitting appears to be Plaid not hating Labour enough and hating the Tories too much.
Carmarthenshire council shenanigans have gone on for a long time .... see the Carmarthenshire Planning Problems blog for a whiff of it. I'm not sure what People First is - but they are certainly disaffected with both Plaid and Labour. We had another member from Carmarthenshire who wrote a very true and telling anecdote about the councillor who was voted for in his town / village because, well, that's who you vote for and if it's not him then you must vote for his son when he croaks. I am sorry but I forget the FTNer's username - but I bet they'd probably be able to tell us a bit more.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:It's snowing!!!!
Yep. I thought I'd run a quick errand. Took me over five hours. The thunder and lightening were spectacular. Rain, hail, wet, driving sleet, snow and for a couple half hours at a time, sunshine and birdsong.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Is it me or has Tubby gone AWOL recently? Not that he needs permission to not be here I hasten to add.
Apart from his post at 6:09...?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:We've had hail, sleet, rain and brilliant sunshine - all with high winds. Very manic here today as we are putting in french windows on the end of the house (we're losing a window on another wall where we've got to do remedial work). Before 8am we'd had about 5 phone calls with the builder trying to work out whether to cancel the stone cutter we'd hired or go and collect it. It was snowing hard where he lives - about half an hour away. We collected it and the house is vibrating with the cutter's efforts at getting through the double skin wall and Mr Riots' expletives.

The builder says Mr Riots and I are so brown we could have been in the south of France ... I wouldn't know as I never see myself ... but we've told him it's just from being outside in the Poppit triangle most of the day.
Mr. citizen has told me it's time to think about obtaining a mobile communication device for me to take along on travels.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:Having four seasons,here today now heavy snow and winds.
The whole country was treated to it all, I think.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Heidi Allen MP ‏@heidiallen75 11m11 minutes ago
Heidi Allen MP Retweeted ILPA
The Lords have sent the new Dubs amendment straight back to us! @SaveUKNewsHeidi Allen MP added,

ILPA @ILPAimmigration
Lords say refugee children welcome here 279 votes to 172 in favour of Lord Dubs.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

citizenJA wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:It's snowing!!!!
Yep. I thought I'd run a quick errand. Took me over five hours. The thunder and lightening were spectacular. Rain, hail, wet, driving sleet, snow and for a couple half hours at a time, sunshine and birdsong.
We ended up with just a tiny bit of snow. No rain, hail or sleet.
A bit windy now, with high cloud and clear spells. Damn cold.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

refitman wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:Is it me or has Tubby gone AWOL recently? Not that he needs permission to not be here I hasten to add.
Apart from his post at 6:09...?
It's me then.

I fully accept that.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

citizenJA wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:We've had hail, sleet, rain and brilliant sunshine - all with high winds. Very manic here today as we are putting in french windows on the end of the house (we're losing a window on another wall where we've got to do remedial work). Before 8am we'd had about 5 phone calls with the builder trying to work out whether to cancel the stone cutter we'd hired or go and collect it. It was snowing hard where he lives - about half an hour away. We collected it and the house is vibrating with the cutter's efforts at getting through the double skin wall and Mr Riots' expletives.

The builder says Mr Riots and I are so brown we could have been in the south of France ... I wouldn't know as I never see myself ... but we've told him it's just from being outside in the Poppit triangle most of the day.
Mr. citizen has told me it's time to think about obtaining a mobile communication device for me to take along on travels.

Do you no good around here citizen. Might as well take a tin can on a long string out with you....

I hope signal is somewhat better where you are.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
citizenJA wrote:

Do you no good around here citizen. Might as well take a tin can on a long string out with you....

I wonder if an etch-a-sketch, a photocopier and a fax machine would be feasible?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"The gymnasium here at Hillsborough is being used as a mortuary for the dead and at this moment stewards have got little paper bags and their gathering up the personal belongings of the spectators and the red and white scarfs of Liverpool and the red and white bobble hats of Liverpool and the red and white rosettes of Liverpool and nothing else...and the sun shines now."

JFT 96 RIP
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

HindleA wrote:"The gymnasium here at Hillsborough is being used as a mortuary for the dead and at this moment stewards have got little paper bags and their gathering up the personal belongings of the spectators and the red and white scarfs of Liverpool and the red and white bobble hats of Liverpool and the red and white rosettes of Liverpool and nothing else...and the sun shines now."

JFT 96 RIP
That got me too.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

refitman wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
citizenJA wrote: Mr. citizen has told me it's time to think about obtaining a mobile communication device for me to take along on travels.

I wonder if an etch-a-sketch, a photocopier and a fax machine would be feasible?
Flare gun maybe?
martinson
Backbencher

Post by martinson »

This has been recommended to me,

http://www.channel4.com/news/kelvin-mac ... nel-4-news" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Michael Heaver ‏@Michael_Heaver 10m10 minutes ago
Liz Kendall says she wants stronger border controls but wants to stay in EU. Crowd groans. Painful. #SpecBrexit

The Spectator ‏@spectator 11m11 minutes ago
I do believe that we need stronger border controls, says @leicesterliz, and what the Prime Minister has negotiated would help, says Kendall
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

BBC Newsnight Retweeted
James O'Brien ‏@mrjamesob 2h2 hours ago
I will be making a cameo appearance on @BBCNewsnight to interview Jeremy Hunt while @EvanHD takes charge of proceedings live from Liverpool.
That might be an interview worth watching.
martinson
Backbencher

Post by martinson »

Some more thoughts.

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2016/04/h ... ntability/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

re Hillsborough.

This is one of those events when I know exactly where I was when I heard the news - on the terraces at orient.

We'd just won and so there was a good buzz around the room as we were filing out...and then they gave the news out over the tannoy.

The whole crowd went silent as we walked out. Stunned. The idea that people could go to a match but never to return was just an awful thought.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Lucy Powell MP ‏@LucyMPowell 7m7 minutes ago
Excellent piece by former Education Secretary, Estelle Morris (also from Manchester!)

This education white paper is an open admission of failure
http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As we pulled bodies from the crush at Hillsborough, the first lies were told
Tony Cartlidge
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:re Hillsborough.

This is one of those events when I know exactly where I was when I heard the news - on the terraces at orient.

We'd just won and so there was a good buzz around the room as we were filing out...and then they gave the news out over the tannoy.

The whole crowd went silent as we walked out. Stunned. The idea that people could go to a match but never to return was just an awful thought.
Ironically, I was in Nottingham, visiting a friend that I'd worked with when I lived there. Before going over to her house, I'd had a couple of hours wandering around the City Centre, re-visiting old haunts, got back to the car about ten past four, switched on the radio to see how the football was going on. There was no commentary at that moment, just the sound of the crowd and I knew instantly that something was badly, sickeningly wrong. I recognised it from the night of the Heysel. It was just the same. At that time, the death count was between 50 and 60. It just kept going up, every time.

I can never forget.
The truth ferret speaks!
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Channel 4 could be better off in private hands, John Whittingdale says
Culture secretary speaks out in favour of privatisation of commercially funded, state-owned broadcaster

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/a ... gdale-says" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nothing of public worth is safe from this government.

Someone BTL calls Whittingdale 'arsewipe' - I'm inclined to agree.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... unravelled" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How the Sun's 'truth' about Hillsborough unravelled
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Have we seen this?

Quite brilliant reply to a ridiculous question.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

Barney Farmer doesn't seem to have much sympathy for Kelvin MacKenzie over Hillsborough:
2016-04-26_222608.jpg
2016-04-26_222608.jpg (219.86 KiB) Viewed 9003 times
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... solidarity" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Guardian view on the Hillsborough verdicts: a triumph for truth and solidarity
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

martinson wrote:Some more thoughts.

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2016/04/h ... ntability/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Anfield Wrap since it's inception, and Red And White Kop for what seems like forever have been excellent with regards to Hillsborough.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

danesclose wrote:Barney Farmer doesn't seem to have much sympathy for Kelvin MacKenzie over Hillsborough:
2016-04-26_222608.jpg
I doubt there's a single decent or sane being on this planet, out of the scumbag's own head, who does.
The truth ferret speaks!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I don't like how pieces of story get put out and believed
when there's plenty of evidence it's not a true story
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Brian Coleman, ex-Barnet councillor showing his usual lack of class tonight regarding Hillsborough.

Expect nothing more really off him.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Timeline: America's Air-Traffic Controllers Strike
August 3, 2006

In August 1981, President Ronald Reagan fired thousands of unionized air-traffic controllers for illegally going on strike, an event
that marked a turning point in labor relations in America, with lasting repercussions. In the decades before 1981, major work
stoppages averaged around 300 per year; today, that number is fewer than 30.

February 1981: New contract negotiations open between PATCO and the Federal Aviation Administration, which employs the
air-traffic controllers. Citing safety concerns, PATCO calls for a reduced 32-hour work week, a $10,000 pay increase for all
air-traffic controllers and a better benefits package for retirement. Contract negotiations with the FAA stall.

Aug. 3, 1981: About 13,000 PATCO members go on strike after unsuccessful contract negotiations. In doing so, the union
technically violates a 1955 law that bans strikes by government unions. (Several government unions had previously declared
strikes without penalties.) President Ronald Reagan declares the PATCO strike a "peril to national safety" and orders the controllers
back to work.

Aug. 5, 1981: Most striking air-traffic controllers are fired. Reagan bans them from ever being rehired by the FAA.
They are initially replaced by controllers, supervisors and staff personnel not participating in the strike and in some
cases, by military controllers.

Aug. 17, 1981: The FAA begins accepting applications for new air-traffic controllers.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=5599271
(my emphasis)

It takes a couple years to become a qualified air traffic controller.
The US military provides staff when 'national safety' is 'imperilled'.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

goodnight, everyone
love
cJA