Thursday 5th May 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 5th May 2015

Post by citizenJA »

I'd a post removed for no good reason. I'm angry because it was an accurate and fair response to another. My post didn't contain any reference to an investigation or election sensitive information. The other commentator did. But it's my post removed with a note, their post simply disappeared. No conspiracy - just a mistake made.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

This is breathtaking. A prominent leftist here, not at all giving the impression of "an issue" with anti-Semitism. Talking about the recently elected NUS President, Malia Bouattia.

http://www.stopwar.org.uk/index.php/new ... and-racism" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
as with Jeremy Corbyn, who has nothing to do with some recently reported anti-Semitic incidents within the Labour Party, she is already being made guilty by association.
"Association"? She said the dodgy stuff herself. German can't be bothered to mention that. (Fair enough, Bouattia apologized and I wish her well in her post).

Corbyn doesn't help himself when he continues to knock about with Stop The War.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-cana ... ws_central" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

US House Speaker Paul Ryan 'can't back Trump'
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

The Male Online on the London Mayoral Elections:
2016-05-05_213010.jpg
2016-05-05_213010.jpg (108.88 KiB) Viewed 5399 times
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

Evening all.

I have been going through an extended bout of the can't-be-bothered-to-do-a-thing depression for most of the year to date, but fought with myself to get up the fifteen minutes early to walk to the Polling Station and vote. I figured that, just as with the GE last year, it wasn't a case of my vote being necessary for the anti-Tory cause but rather that every vote was essential to buttress Labour against the inevitable mud-slinging and lies.

I shall wait until tomorrow morning for the results, however.
The truth ferret speaks!
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RobertSnozers wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:This is breathtaking. A prominent leftist here, not at all giving the impression of "an issue" with anti-Semitism. Talking about the recently elected NUS President, Malia Bouattia.

http://www.stopwar.org.uk/index.php/new ... and-racism" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
as with Jeremy Corbyn, who has nothing to do with some recently reported anti-Semitic incidents within the Labour Party, she is already being made guilty by association.
"Association"? She said the dodgy stuff herself. German can't be bothered to mention that. (Fair enough, Bouattia apologized and I wish her well in her post).

Corbyn doesn't help himself when he continues to knock about with Stop The War.
According to her, some 'dodgy stuff' was misinterpreted and the 'support for Isis' almost completely trumped up.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ympathiser" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In any case, I think you have misread the article here. Just before the line you quote, John Mann is quoted talking about rooting out antisemitism within the NUS, not the incidences related to Bouattia herself, hinting at institutional antisemitism and by extension connecting Bouattia to that - exactly as happened with Corbyn. So it's an entirely reasonable point to make, IMO. I can't help feeling that where STW is concerned, people find outrage in anything.
I agree that Corbyn's been unfairly treated over anti-semitism.

I wasn't talking about ISIL stuff- I assumed that was trumped up bollocks, and couldn't see it would be relevant to anti-semitism. I was talking about calling Birmingham University a "Zionist outpost" because it had a large J-Soc. That's something that needed apologizing for, and she did, fair enough- if I were a student I'd be gunning for the people trying to disaffiliate from the NUS, not her.

German is being dishonest though in not mentioning that she actually said stuff herself that caused concern.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/ap ... tleblower/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
‘Appallingly bad’ software may cause lost PIP letters, says whistleblower
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Er, Lindsey German is a woman.

She may be assuming knowledge, and she's got a point about media coverage, for sure- while being accidentally unfair to Jeremy Corbyn.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

RobertSnozers wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote: According to her, some 'dodgy stuff' was misinterpreted and the 'support for Isis' almost completely trumped up.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ympathiser" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In any case, I think you have misread the article here. Just before the line you quote, John Mann is quoted talking about rooting out antisemitism within the NUS, not the incidences related to Bouattia herself, hinting at institutional antisemitism and by extension connecting Bouattia to that - exactly as happened with Corbyn. So it's an entirely reasonable point to make, IMO. I can't help feeling that where STW is concerned, people find outrage in anything.
I agree that Corbyn's been unfairly treated over anti-semitism.

I wasn't talking about ISIL stuff- I assumed that was trumped up bollocks, and couldn't see it would be relevant to anti-semitism. I was talking about calling Birmingham University a "Zionist outpost" because it had a large J-Soc. That's something that needed apologizing for, and she did, fair enough- if I were a student I'd be gunning for the people trying to disaffiliate from the NUS, not her.

German is being dishonest though in not mentioning that she actually said stuff herself that caused concern.
I suppose, though he doesn't actually say that she didn't, I took knowledge of what she had and hadn't said/done rather as a given. The piece is saying that reporting of her election was completely skewed, and that's both true and a valid point. For the sake of clarity it might have been reasonable to confirm that in the past she had made some comments about Zionism which she had apologised for, but I don't actually see it as a major issue as the premise of the piece is correct.

I suppose I see STW is an organisation with its heart basically in the right place that has a tendency to go over the top sometimes. I accept that other people see them as rather less laudable.

Most of the problems seem to focus on this word 'Zionist' - it can be anything from a rabid anti-semite to those who believe that certain Israelis and their supporters are so wedded to a Jewish homeland in that particular place that they exhibit similarities to racists themselves! I avoid trying to use this word as it has so many meanings but using it is not necessarily anti-semitic in my view...and there are plenty of anti-Zionist jews. Zionism is a political idea and it is so very dangerous when that is linked to a particular race and/or religion as it is here.

The reality is that the right love the Netanyahu governement and its policies so do anything to put off criticism by shouting anti-semite as much as they can. The fact is that some of these people are pretty racist themselves and it is just their focus is on muslims now rather than the jews for the moment
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

mbc1955 wrote:Evening all.

I have been going through an extended bout of the can't-be-bothered-to-do-a-thing depression for most of the year to date, but fought with myself to get up the fifteen minutes early to walk to the Polling Station and vote. I figured that, just as with the GE last year, it wasn't a case of my vote being necessary for the anti-Tory cause but rather that every vote was essential to buttress Labour against the inevitable mud-slinging and lies.

I shall wait until tomorrow morning for the results, however.
Thank you! On a thread at the other place, a few commentators were insisting those not making a certain amount of
money shouldn't be allowed to vote. The promotion of disenfranchising part of the electorate is an abhorrent idea.
Representation of the People Act extends vote to men and women over 18

http://www.parliament.uk/about/living-h ... /keydates/
In the US, it took until 1971 for everyone 18+ years
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Have we seen this? Last poll, fieldwork finished yesterday.
KHAN 43%, GOLDSMITH 32%, WHITTLE 7%, BERRY 7%, PIDGEON 6%; Second round: KHAN 57%, GOLDSMITH 43%
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Have we seen this? Last poll, fieldwork finished yesterday.
KHAN 43%, GOLDSMITH 32%, WHITTLE 7%, BERRY 7%, PIDGEON 6%; Second round: KHAN 57%, GOLDSMITH 43%
By comparison the 2012 was 51.53 vs 48.47 in favour of Boris - not as convincing a win as I'd remembered it to be.

If and when Sadiq gets in do you think he ought to set up a Forensic Audit panel to look at Boris' dealings?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor

Post by mbc1955 »

I should also like to proffer everyone on FTN a profound apology. Not for the quality of my contributions, either generally or specifically (although I am sure that they frequently dip below the acceptable quality quotient), but for my strident and entirely wrong-headed posts last year, dismissing the very possibility of Donald Trump even lasting as far as the nominations, let alone securing one. My only defence is that the version of reality in which the clown was laughed out of court at an early stage, or stomped off as soon as he'd made as much publicity as he needed, was so much more, sane, serious and untwisted than the one we're currently living through, and it's the world that's w rong, not me.

Nevertheless, I got it completely wrong, so I have to apologise, and as penance I will sit on my hands and sweat out the next six months in the paralysing fear that I'm going to have to apologise for being wrong all over again in November...

Edited in a closing parenthesis
The truth ferret speaks!
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor

Post by mbc1955 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
By comparison the 2012 was 51.53 vs 48.47 in favour of Boris - not as convincing a win as I'd remembered it to be.

If and when Sadiq gets in do you think he ought to set up a Forensic Audit panel to look at Boris' dealings?
Why bother? The Press will just ignore it.
The truth ferret speaks!
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:

He should set up about 3 of them.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Andrew Gwynne MP ✔ ‎@GwynneMP
Well I've arrived at Stockport Town Hall for the Count to find that LibDem Councillor Stuart Bodsworth defected to Labour at 10.01pm!
:lol: Glad to get off to a humorous start - might well need that in reserve as the night progresses.
Working on the wild side.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor

Post by mbc1955 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Andrew Gwynne MP ✔ ‎@GwynneMP
Well I've arrived at Stockport Town Hall for the Count to find that LibDem Councillor Stuart Bodsworth defected to Labour at 10.01pm!
:lol: Glad to get off to a humorous start - might well need that in reserve as the night progresses.
Hey, that's my MP there!
The truth ferret speaks!
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

This made me laugh
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-05-05 at 22.48.50.png
Screen Shot 2016-05-05 at 22.48.50.png (104.41 KiB) Viewed 5303 times
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Exit poll for Wales.

Labour have 27 seats. Not too bad, with 2 Lib Dems.

Plaid can vote with the Tories and UKIP or shut up.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Ian Katz Retweeted
Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 3m3 minutes ago
Woah, senior London Tory Andrew Boff tells #Newsnight Zac campaign "outrageous" to link religious Muslims with extremism

Not expecting a Zac win then?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

mbc1955 wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:

Why bother? The Press will just ignore it.
Never say never
:D
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone
I love you all
cJA
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 3m3 minutes ago
Labour HOLD Pallion (Sunderland).
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 31m31 minutes ago
Welsh Assembly projection (YouGov poll surveyed today):
LAB: 27 AMs (-3)
PC: 12 (+1)
CON: 11 (-3)
UKIP: 8 (+8)
LDEM: 2 (-3)
Chgs. from 2011
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 2m2 minutes ago
Labour HOLD St Anne's (Sunderland).
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Increased share for Labour in St Anne's ;-)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 24s25 seconds ago
Labour HOLD Silksworth (Sunderland).
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

A welcome Sunderland result (unlike the one just over 43 years ago-still waiting for cup revenge)football reference.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Laura Kuenssberg ‏@bbclaurak 4m4 minutes ago
1st result Labour holds Sunderland
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Exit poll for Wales.

Labour have 27 seats. Not too bad, with 2 Lib Dems.

Plaid can vote with the Tories and UKIP or shut up.
Sorry, it isn't an exit poll. It's just one done today.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Thinking of Lady C.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Labour seem to have gained a seat somewhere :twisted:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Giselle Green ‏@GiselleG7 37m37 minutes ago
Zac's campaign 'has done lasting damage' on relations with Muslim community, says Tory leader on London Assembly, Andrew Boff. #newsnight
Working on the wild side.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 1m1 minute ago
Westgate (Newcastle upon Tyne):
LAB: 68.7%
UKIP: 11.0%
GRN: 9.2%
CON: 7.4%
LDEM: 3.7%
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Laura Kuenssberg ✔ ‎@bbclaurak
interesting nugget, in one key ward in Sunderland, UKIP vote was 29%
The key ward being won by Labour with over 50%.

Am I being oversensitive here?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

All Laura cares about is constructing tomorrow morning's headlines. The presses will roll soon....

It doesn't matter what the actual results are.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... CMP=twt_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sir Philip Green calls for Frank Field to step down from committee
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

I think one of the most interesting points will be turnout......are we going to see the continued trend of apathy - a trend that to me indicates how much people in the UK really care about their society

Happy to whinge a lot but can't be bothered to get out and vote - even if only to spoil the ballot paper

Any non-vote is likely to be a vote for the Tories as reduced turnouts tend to be amongst the people who are more likely to vote Labour

Got a feeling I am going to be disillusioned about the state of democracy in the UK in the morning. We seem to have reached Peak Democracy in 1997 and ever since then it is running out - funny we, as a nation, get all emotional about 'Our Heroes' from WW1 and WW2 whose legacy we are happy to see give away
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Labour hold Newcastle
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 15s16 seconds ago
Liberal Democrat GAIN Millfield (Sunderland) from Labour.
0 retweets 0 likes
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 15s16 seconds ago
Liberal Democrat GAIN Millfield (Sunderland) from Labour.
0 retweets 0 likes

Labour did win it on a huge swing last time and there wasn't a huge gap between them and LD - a LD revival in certain areas would not be surprising....hope it is replicated in the South West
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

No I don't think you are TubbyIsaacs.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Q.What makes a ward "key" ?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

UKIP got over 20% in Skinner's seat, last election -they were third ,again he got over 50%.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 8s8 seconds ago
Labour GAIN North Jesmond (Newcastle upon Tyne) from Liberal Democrat.
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

Good grief, the Sparrow blog is going absolutely monkeypoo over the whole Labour/Corbyn disaster scenario. Strangely muted about London, though.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Ministers halt automatic broadband roll-out for rural families because 'not everyone wants to be connected

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05 ... amilies-b/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Like others any despondency I have concerns the lack of turnout.I have always been against making it compulsory,beginning to change my mind with possibly a non of the above option.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

HindleA wrote:Like others any despondency I have concerns the lack of turnout.I have always been against making it compulsory,beginning to change my mind with possibly a non of the above option.
What sanction though A?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liv ... w-11283736" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Liverpool local elections 2016: Follow us for live updates from across Merseyside