Friday 6th May 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 6th May 2016

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Which is the remaining region in Wales that hasn't declared results yet? Itching to know where the last 4 seats go.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:The silver lining there is that I can think of few who could do a better job of discrediting the UKIP cause (and more quickly)
I think the Ukip bloke / AM from Cardiff might give him a race for that tbh.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

How are the Labour council seat losses stacking up?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

RobertSnozers wrote: On the other hand, I suspect that the antisemitism media storm made absolutely not one iota of difference to the results today
There is evidence it may have hurt Labour in a few places with substantial Jewish populations (a couple of seats they lost in Bury, for instance)

Beyond that, however, not much - it always did strike me as very much a "bubble" thing (yet again)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Morning all.

Big thanks in lieu of lots of little thanks for all the great comments last night and this morning which got me caught up this morning over breakfast.

I predicted the Tories would become the official opposition in Scotland in January and could have looked very clever but unfortunately, on following the polls, changed my mind and predicted Labour would hold on with a modest second. My reputation for being crap at predictions remains intact :)

Still a long wait for the London mayor - 4pm? - and even longer for Bristol which won't be until tomorrow, I believe ( we don't like to rush things here in the West Country ).

Not gone too badly, though, so far. Have Labour's fortunes finally bottomed out?
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ohsocynical wrote:
PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.
2m ago 09:25
Neil Hamilton returns to politics as Ukip member in Wales (Politics Live, Guardian)
Deepest commiserations
Farage didn't want him especially in Wales did he?
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Willow904 wrote:Morning all.

Big thanks in lieu of lots of little thanks for all the great comments last night and this morning which got me caught up this morning over breakfast.

I predicted the Tories would become the official opposition in Scotland in January and could have looked very clever but unfortunately, on following the polls, changed my mind and predicted Labour would hold on with a modest second. My reputation for being crap at predictions remains intact :)

Still a long wait for the London mayor - 4pm? - and even longer for Bristol which won't be until tomorrow, I believe ( we don't like to rush things here in the West Country ).

Not gone too badly, though, so far. Have Labour's fortunes finally bottomed out?
Not until someone tapes up the Bitterite's gobs. If they can't see the writing on the wall this morning re England, they are never going to. I wasn't keen on it, but now think their selection in 2020 needs to be looked at by themselves and their constituency parties. Deep soul searching is called for if they are that unhappy. The silly thing is they can do their job from the right especially if that's the way their constituents swing, but this constant carping because much of the country has turned to the left, really needs to be nipped in the bud now.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I think Cameron may have been rather stupid (doh) in insisting on having the EU ref so quickly after the local and devolved elections. It gave Ukip a pretty good platform to build support and boost an Out vote. Had he waited until 2017 there wouldn't have been the piggybacking and enhancing potential ... and elected Ukip reps would have had sufficient time to show their true colours which probably won't be very appealing. Instead they'll be enjoying their limelight and honeymoon period .....
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 6h6 hours ago
Liverpool Mayoralty, result:
LAB: 52.6%
LDEM: 21.1%
GRN: 10.9%
TUSC: 5.1%
IND: 4.1%
CON: 3.6%
EDEM: 2.7%
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Amy Gray ‏@amyelizgray 4s4 seconds ago
Why is it taking so long to declare the last four #WelshAssembly seats? BBC stuck on 56/60 declared for last hour+
Yes, why?
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

When you consider everything it was a stonking performance from Welsh labour "ruthlessly efficient" is one way I heard it described this morning. As for PC, apart from the Rhonnda it was ordinary, spinning no doubt but they basically stood still, no new day for Wales quite yet then.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Eric_WLothian wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: How do we think it will go if there's a vote on fracking in the future?
I'm not sure what the SNP stance on fracking is this week but with those figures, the SNP need the Greens on-side if they're against it.
The other three parties refused to enter a coalition with the SNP and forced them into a minority government before.

I don't think Kezia Dugdale's promise to allow Labour MSPs to campaign for independence did the party any favours. The threat of another referendum is still bubbling away and the Tories are the only party that have come out as definitely against it. Better to have kept quiet until the matter was actually raised in Holyrood imo.
I thought the SNP were rather prevaricating about fracking - leaving a teensy weensy door open - whereas Greens and Labour have said no to it?
Yes - there were rumours of clandestine deals with the owner of Grangemouth refinery, who has fracking licenses:

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/s ... -1-4048232

Given the recent talks with the shady Chinese company, I'd be suspicious!
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton 49s50 seconds ago
Sadiq currently ahead of Zac in his own backyard - south west constituency.
Ouch.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:When you consider everything it was a stonking performance from Welsh labour "ruthlessly efficient" is one way I heard it described this morning. As for PC, apart from the Rhonnda it was ordinary, spinning no doubt but they basically stood still, no new day for Wales quite yet then.
Looking forward to the Sturgeon Wood lovefest continuing. :sick:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I'm going for some sympathy when I tell you that I hurt all over today but especially my legs which don't feel like mine - all from a few cold hours going up and down hilly pavements and tarmac in Fishguard last night.

My legs deserve another final seat finding its way to Labour.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

StephenDolan wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:When you consider everything it was a stonking performance from Welsh labour "ruthlessly efficient" is one way I heard it described this morning. As for PC, apart from the Rhonnda it was ordinary, spinning no doubt but they basically stood still, no new day for Wales quite yet then.
I wish someone would give them a similar toon strip in the same spot on style as the Male Online. It would be very funny and gratifying.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mirror Politics ‏@MirrorPolitics 33s34 seconds ago
Labour has lost just eight councillors so far #LE2016 http://bit.ly/1WbNJHj" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Disastrous.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

StephenDolan wrote:
Maybe the only good thing about that result - Adam Price is perhaps the only person currently even more gutted than the diehard Bitterites :)
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

RobertSnozers wrote: A friend of a friend has been saying something similar on Facebook. I gather the Tories campaigned as the Cuddly Ruth Davidson Pro-Union Party, focussing on Davidson's appeal (apparently a lot of the literature barely mentioned the name of the party) and pushing the fact that she represented the only pro-Union party. I can see the appeal in Labour softening it's approach to independence but in retrospect it was a big tactical, if not strategic error. The Nats are never going to vote Labour, but there is a large core of people who really don't want independence, and the Tories hoovered them up.

A learning year then. I like what I've seen of Dugdale and I hope she's given a chance to build. One thing Scottish Labour has to do is start building a positive case for the Union - all the things Britain and its nations have achieved and can achieve, and can be. Key to that is offering something that looks like hope.
If I had to vote for a leader, without considering their political views, Ruth would be a front runner. Kezia comes over (to me, anyway) as much more reticent. I can't imagine her riding a buffalo, as Ruth did. It may have been a silly stunt, but it got her a lot of press coverage.

One thing I would add - I don't believe that Corbyn was a significant factor one way or the other. He seemed to receive very little attention in respect of the Scottish campaign.

edited to add that after the Carmichael court case, it was gratifying to see that the first result was a resounding Lib Dem win in Orkney.
Last edited by Eric_WLothian on Fri 06 May, 2016 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:I'm going for some sympathy when I tell you that I hurt all over today but especially my legs which don't feel like mine - all from a few cold hours going up and down hilly pavements and tarmac in Fishguard last night.

leafleting the streets is harder than it sounds. Our Councilor said she foolishly thought Bracknell was flat, but hadn't realised how many houses there were on slopes.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

ohsocynical wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.
Deepest commiserations
Farage didn't want him especially in Wales did he?
Apparently my Grandfather had a run in with Neil Hamilton's pater over pit safety back in the day. My Tadcu was an overman and threatened to smack him one with a hammer if he didnt ''fuck off'' Mam was in school with Hamilton jnr - a few years older - but doesnt remember him, however a couple of her friends do - Poisionous little snotrag was how one of them described him at school.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

John Rentoul ‏@JohnRentoul 2m2 minutes ago
Paul Mason, calling for mass reselections, but luckily we ignore ppl who can't spell Chilcot https://medium.com/mosquito-ridge/elect ... .od1fr2kc6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Oooh he's snide. (Rentoul that is).
Elections 2016: the Scottish earthquake continues
I’m watching the UK election results from Athens. One thing I am not missing is shrieky BBC journalists frame it all as a “disaster for Jeremy Corbyn”. In fact it’s much bigger and more complex story.
https://medium.com/mosquito-ridge/elect ... .em7jfyulz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A couple of his suggestions for what is required to rebuild and develop ...
2. Turn the PLP into a clear alliance: of the left and centre, excluding the right. Corbyn should use the decent showing in the English council elections to “bring to battle” any rightwingers who carry on sabotaging the party. At the same time he should offer increased responsibility and power to figures like Sadiq Khan, Andy Burnham, Jon Cruddas and Yvette Cooper (and Ed Miliband). To be clear this means the Corbyn wing of the party ceding some policy issues to the centre...

... 7. Labour needs a lot of new, young parliamentary candidates of all stripes; people who get that the world has changed and are prepared to reformulate all strands of Labourism in light of the new political reality. Part of Labour’s problem is that it is still tainted by the war-crime apologists of the Blair era, and when Chilcott comes out Corbyn should use this to finally settle accounts with what’s left of the Blair machine.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Paul Mason, calling for mass reselections, but luckily we ignore ppl who can't spell Chilcot https://medium.com/mosquito-ridge/elect ... .od1fr2kc6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
I’m watching the UK election results from Athens. One thing I am not missing is shrieky BBC journalists frame it all as a “disaster for Jeremy Corbyn”. In fact it’s much bigger and more complex story.
https://medium.com/mosquito-ridge/elect ... .em7jfyulz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2. Turn the PLP into a clear alliance: of the left and centre, excluding the right. Corbyn should use the decent showing in the English council elections to “bring to battle” any rightwingers who carry on sabotaging the party. At the same time he should offer increased responsibility and power to figures like Sadiq Khan, Andy Burnham, Jon Cruddas and Yvette Cooper (and Ed Miliband). To be clear this means the Corbyn wing of the party ceding some policy issues to the centre...

... 7. Labour needs a lot of new, young parliamentary candidates of all stripes; people who get that the world has changed and are prepared to reformulate all strands of Labourism in light of the new political reality. Part of Labour’s problem is that it is still tainted by the war-crime apologists of the Blair era, and when Chilcott comes out Corbyn should use this to finally settle accounts with what’s left of the Blair machine.
Rentoul talking about "we". Who is the "we" he speaks of? David Miliband fan club?
ScarletGas
Committee Chair

Post by ScarletGas »

I tend to ignore everything that John Rentoul says...............whether its spelt correctly or not makes no difference its still shite!
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Are we all gripped with excitement at the forthcoming declarations of PCC winners?

I was told yesterday by an irate householder that our incumbent PCC had that very day featured large in the papers for being caught driving a police car with two bald tyres in Somerset ... I rather loved the way he over enunciated said PCC's name - a combination of his outrage and Welsh speech style sounding of every consonant / letter

SALLEMOND - said very loudly many times.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Old Swan -Liverpool

Election Candidate Party Votes %
Gary Millar Labour Party 2260 68.71% Elected
Martin Ralph Old Swan Against the Cuts 395 12.01% Not elected
Huw Poston Kentish Dawson Liberal Democrat 278 8.45% Not elected
Noreen Maguinness Green Party 161 4.90% Not elected
George Powell Conservative Party 109 3.31% Not elected
Marjorie Peel Liberal Party 86 2.61% Not elected

A former stomping ground of mine.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

A reminder of how the results should be interpreted according to an earlier piece.

Check out the SNP. :rofl:

How to read Thursday’s election results

http://gu.com/p/4tnv2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Faisal Islam ‏@faisalislam 27s28 seconds ago
FWIW - Labour English Council losses highly likely to be less than 50 seats, perhaps 30 seats /2500 Nowhere near GE winning, not awful tho.
Yes - the BBC have just reported it as pretty good for Corbyn's Labour - shock.
Maeght
Committee Chair

Post by Maeght »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:And
Many thanks for the link. But am getting nervous checking the results. I have had a look at everything but it doesn't look as good as I hoped. Hope it is just anxiety/panic etc.

I am in Croydon/Sutton and it looks very close. At the general election last year Labour lost by only 165 votes.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Sunny Hundal ‏@sunny_hundal 1m1 minute ago
Update: with nearly 50% of the vote counted (especially in Tory areas), Sadiq Khan still comfortably ahead
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Beth Rigby ‏@BethRigby 14m14 minutes ago
Merton & Wandsworth > Labour look like they could also take this Tory seat in teh London assembly elections https://londonelects.org.uk/im-voter/el ... contest=35" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

emily m ‏@maitlis now
Treat Peterborough con gain with extreme caution. Boundary changes mean it was notionally Tory before dissolution #bbcelection
Gosh.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Great timing, Crosby getting his knighthood today.
Ha.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
emily m ‏@maitlis now
Treat Peterborough con gain with extreme caution. Boundary changes mean it was notionally Tory before dissolution #bbcelection
Gosh.

Yes - I was (pleasantly) surprised by the BBC's take on Peterborough, too. It was even presented in the context of David Cameron's "triumphant" visit there.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:I'm going for some sympathy when I tell you that I hurt all over today but especially my legs which don't feel like mine - all from a few cold hours going up and down hilly pavements and tarmac in Fishguard last night.

How did your knuckles fare? We have some viciously resistant letter boxes in Bracknell. Luckily no rings on my right hand otherwise I'd have lost them. No dogs bringing the house down, but one silent one whipped the leaflet out of my hand as I pushed it through. :lol:
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

David Cameron said the results showed Labour had “completely lost touch” with the public.

“After six years in power we are actually strengthening our position in local government,” he told supporters in Peterborough.

He added: “The Labour party have completely lost touch with the hardworking people they are supposed to represent.
I think Cameron has lost touch with reality.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

1m ago 12:28

Ken Livingstone has been ranting about Hitler and antisemitism again. (Politics Live, Guardian)
Oh, well. It's all done and dusted now (I hope). I do think that it's time for Ken Livingstone to get out less, though.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

DWP say they will comply with tribunal ruling on review of benefit deaths.

http://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/tr ... s-reviews/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:

How did your knuckles fare? We have some viciously resistant letter boxes in Bracknell. Luckily no rings on my right hand otherwise I'd have lost them. No dogs bringing the house down, but one silent one whipped the leaflet out of my hand as I pushed it through. :lol:
Wasn't dealing with letter boxes yesterday, thankfully. We were door knocking to check whether people had gone out to vote or not - and, if they hadn't, encourage them to do so. Mr Riots gave one bloke a lift to the polling station and back and found himself hearing some very real life reasons why he was voting Labour. His wife had been working as a receptionist in a GP practice and wanted to train as a nurse. It was only with the help of the grant / bursary, no training fees, childcare and tax credit support that she's been able to do that and now works as an A & E nurse. He's aware that pretty much all of that goes with the Tories and others. He had started off telling us that he didn't have the energy or time to go and vote when we knocked. We said that was a shame and offered him a lift to help but he turned us down. About 10 minutes later he caught us up down the road and asked if we meant the offer. He'd had second thoughts about why it mattered and wanted to take us up on it. Result.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

gilsey wrote:Great timing, Crosby getting his knighthood today.
Ha.
One of those times you wish Lizzie would take advantage of Royal Perogative and let the sword slip.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:

Ken Livingstone has been ranting about Hitler and antisemitism again. (Politics Live, Guardian)
Oh, well. It's all done and dusted now (I hope). I do think that it's time for Ken Livingstone to get out less, though.
Unfortunately, that just adds to the suspicions that he is not actually well......
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

The Great Return.jpg
The Great Return.jpg (28.87 KiB) Viewed 5109 times
Oh Wales.

I wonder if a fair proportion of the Ukip vote in the region are too young to have really known about his history.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:

Roll up leaflet loosely and place it through the letter box. The leaflet lands open without creases. Thank you, Councillor AP, for your love of people, experience, dedication and helpful tips campaigning for Labour.

Good-afternoon, everyone.

I miss LadyC too.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:

Do we have confirmation of the alleged ranting?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Well done Britain. After a year of disastrousness and disillusionment – junior doctors’ strikes, teachers voting for strike action, parents pulling their pupils out of schools, U-turns on the doctors’ contracts, U-turns on working tax credits, U-turns on taking in refugee children from Europe, an overall inadequate and uncompassionate response to the refugee crisis, failures to meet self-imposed targets in the Budget, a trailing economy, investigations into benefit claimants’ suicides, a mayoral campaign that focused primarily on slyly using terms like “terrorist sympathiser” and “dangerous extremism” against Labour’s Muslim candidate, the gradual disappearance of women’s refuge centres for domestic violence victims, the health secretary told off for playing on his phone in Parliament during a debate on cutting nurses’ bursaries, the dramatic resignation of Iain Duncan Smith, and the slow but steady erosion of the NHS –

From the Independent. And that's not the half of things they've done. The Indy have only touched the surface.
Last edited by ohsocynical on Fri 06 May, 2016 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

rebeccariots2 wrote:

Mason is still a bit too starry eyed about the (ever more Blairite) SNP, but there is some stuff to think about in there.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

Unfortunately, that just adds to the suspicions that he is not actually well......
Could just be a downed transmitter
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

citizenJA wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

Do we have confirmation of the alleged ranting?
I haven't heard it - so I'm just going by the hearsay, written stuff. Bit sad that I'm prepared to take it as read, though, in this particular case.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

Wasn't dealing with letter boxes yesterday, thankfully. We were door knocking to check whether people had gone out to vote or not - and, if they hadn't, encourage them to do so. Mr Riots gave one bloke a lift to the polling station and back and found himself hearing some very real life reasons why he was voting Labour. His wife had been working as a receptionist in a GP practice and wanted to train as a nurse. It was only with the help of the grant / bursary, no training fees, childcare and tax credit support that she's been able to do that and now works as an A & E nurse. He's aware that pretty much all of that goes with the Tories and others. He had started off telling us that he didn't have the energy or time to go and vote when we knocked. We said that was a shame and offered him a lift to help but he turned us down. About 10 minutes later he caught us up down the road and asked if we meant the offer. He'd had second thoughts about why it mattered and wanted to take us up on it. Result.
:rock:
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Sad news - the People's Republic (One Party State) of Manchester is no more, as former LibDem MP John Leech absolutely smashed it in his ward.

Labour could well still be winning everywhere else, though.