Saturday & Sunday, 7th & 8th May.

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Saturday & Sunday, 7th & 8th May.

Post by ohsocynical »

Good moaning.

What a load of stop-a-beds.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday & Sunday, 7th & 8th May.

Post by ohsocynical »

Defence Secretary Fallon, blasts Sadiq Khan as 'Labour lackey who shares platforms with extremists'

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/mayor/de ... 92571.html
This is appalling.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

Morning.
Got my cast off yesterday! Still swollen to my surprise. Got to wear a special boot for 3 weeks. Going to my first match since March today. Had my first shower since March too. Bliss!

Did anyone else hear Fallon making a complete and utter arse of himself on Toady? Still going on about Khan's extremist links. May have libelled Gani.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

frightful_oik wrote:Morning.
Got my cast off yesterday! Still swollen to my surprise. Got to wear a special boot for 3 weeks. Going to my first match since March today. Had my first shower since March too. Bliss!

Did anyone else hear Fallon making a complete and utter arse of himself on Toady? Still going on about Khan's extremist links. May have libelled Gani.
I saw mention of a drink problem re Fallon? Perhaps he'd been consoling himself a bit too heavily...
I suppose you can't blame the Beeb for what comes out of the man's mouth, and it's yet another nail in the Cons coffin when they are so blatant...
In the shelter of their own homes I daresay a lot of people were nodding in agreement, but you can't have members of the cabinet spouting off like that on national radio.

Cameron has lost control. We're at crisis point, but he's surrounded himself with such a bunch of useless, nasty tossers the country is rudderless.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

Good Morning everyone.
Good Morning Mr Mayor,sir.
Thankyou ,London,for not backing Zac.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Rebecca wrote:Good Morning everyone.
Good Morning Mr Mayor,sir.
Thankyou ,London,for not backing Zac.
As Brucie would say - 'Didn't they do well!'
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Morning all.

So happy about Sadiq Khan's win. Woooh - London has a Labour mayor again. Long time coming.

Vile though the Goldsmith and Cameron campaign has been - it may yet prove to be helpful for the future. It has achieved such notoriety and backfired so spectacularly it may mean such tactics can be very quickly called out in future campaigns - and because there is now a pretty established pattern to the Tory tactics of dividing / othering groups and demonising and scaring - it loses some of its efficacy and can be recognised by more people. It's also going to make more Tory MPs and politicians feel rather more wary about resorting to such tactics. The old shits like Fallon who are prepared to say and shout the indefensible are on the way out ... the newer intake with ambitions and hopes won't want to associate themselves with such stuff. That's my hope anyway.
Working on the wild side.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Michael Crick ‏@MichaelLCrick 39m39 minutes ago

I'll be presenting with David Mellor on LBC from 10am to 12 noon. Our guests inc. Michael Heseltine, :smack: Charlie Falconer :( Liam Fox, :sick: Dan Hodges :shock: :sick:
Now that is what you'd call slanted.

Thanks but no thanks.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

frightful_oik wrote:Morning.

Morning Oik

and never forget that Cameron himself repeated the claim in the House, where of course the lying toad is protected by parliamentary privilege.

Dave will happily see Fallon taking the flak for this.....
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tim Montgomerie in Conservative Home - worth reading.
Zac was crushed and lost his authenticity. Because he followed the Crosby playbook – which failed him, the Conservatives and London
http://www.conservativehome.com/thetory ... tably.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Interesting discussion of election tactics etc re 2015 and for the future and in comments BTL too.
I agree with what a lot of Tim has said

We won at the last election because of a superb 'project fear' campaign about ed Miliband and the SNP, that's enough to get a narrow win against a weak opponent but as Tim says it'll never be enough to get past 35% or so nationally and get a decent majority - we have to have a positive message to reach out to the people - and bashing doctors and badgering schools isn't that message either

Zac has always struck me as a thoughtful honest man and I don't think his campaign put that across anywhere near enough
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Morning all.

So happy about Sadiq Khan's win. Woooh - London has a Labour mayor again. Long time coming.

Vile though the Goldsmith and Cameron campaign has been - it may yet prove to be helpful for the future. It has achieved such notoriety and backfired so spectacularly it may mean such tactics can be very quickly called out in future campaigns - and because there is now a pretty established pattern to the Tory tactics of dividing / othering groups and demonising and scaring - it loses some of its efficacy and can be recognised by more people. It's also going to make more Tory MPs and politicians feel rather more wary about resorting to such tactics. The old shits like Fallon who are prepared to say and shout the indefensible are on the way out ... the newer intake with ambitions and hopes won't want to associate themselves with such stuff. That's my hope anyway.
It actually coincided nicely with the rumblings of fraud. Now the elections are over, and we might [big word] get more publicity on the election overspends, hopefully it will awaken the sense of duty, fair play and decency we Brits are supposed to have in abundance. Some of us never lost it. Many have.
I find it ironic that the very people - uppers - who propagated those qualities whether real or imagined, have trampled them into the ground.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

And thank you Owen Jones for a great piece on 'doing a Zac' in the G.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

rebeccariots2 wrote: Zac has always struck me as a thoughtful honest man and I don't think his campaign put that across anywhere near enough
We've been hearing that a lot, Jemima of course, but even John McDonnell on Thursday night.
I think he's been outed as a lightweight, he let someone else run his campaign and has ended up with his reputation trashed.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

rebeccariots2 wrote:And thank you Owen Jones for a great piece on 'doing a Zac' in the G.
Just don't bother going btl,a rather foul place to find yourself,(or oneself if feeling a bit posh)on a Saturday morning.
Full of very nasty Tory comments.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Owen Jones ‏@OwenJones84 17m17 minutes ago
Suliman Gani should sue Michael Fallon for repeating the libel that he's a supporter of ISIS on Radio 4 this morning.
If some crowd funding is required for that I would chip in. It needs to be done to stop people like Fallon getting away with using their privileged platforms - our national broadcaster FFS - to make such slurs. It would also keep Cameron's equally / worse behaviour in the HoC in the news.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Tim Montgomerie in Conservative Home - worth reading.
Zac was crushed and lost his authenticity. Because he followed the Crosby playbook – which failed him, the Conservatives and London
http://www.conservativehome.com/thetory ... tably.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Interesting discussion of election tactics etc re 2015 and for the future and in comments BTL too.
I agree with what a lot of Tim has said

We won at the last election because of a superb 'project fear' campaign about ed Miliband and the SNP, that's enough to get a narrow win against a weak opponent but as Tim says it'll never be enough to get past 35% or so nationally and get a decent majority - we have to have a positive message to reach out to the people - and bashing doctors and badgering schools isn't that message either

Zac has always struck me as a thoughtful honest man and I don't think his campaign put that across anywhere near enough
Young Zac with his cushioned life style where everything comes easy, failed to realise one thing.
You can't be a Tory, rise to the top and be honest, decent and thoughtful. It's like trying to mix oil and water. The ESA cuts which all the Tories voted for, proved that. Many head charities. If they really cared; gave it thought, they could not have gone along with the Conservative line.

I would label him naive.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Owen Jones ‏@OwenJones84 17m17 minutes ago
Suliman Gani should sue Michael Fallon for repeating the libel that he's a supporter of ISIS on Radio 4 this morning.
If some crowd funding is required for that I would chip in. It needs to be done to stop people like Fallon getting away with using their privileged platforms - our national broadcaster FFS - to make such slurs. It would also keep Cameron's equally / worse behaviour in the HoC in the news.
Me too.

I've already donated to the fund to take Hunt to court. Money well spent :D
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I'm going on a picnic later today ... Last minute as son has been keeping an eye on the weather. He sprang it on us yesterday evening.
Normally I enjoy doing the food, but waiting 'til Friday evening when the fridge is decidedly bare? They'll have to fend for themselves this time. :)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
Martin Rowson on Tony Blair and Labour's election results – cartoon
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... an-cartoon
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

John Rentoul ‏@JohnRentoul 5m5 minutes ago
John Rentoul Retweeted Iain Martin
SNP slump to 2 seats short of a majority.

Iain Martin
‏@iain1963
@JohnRentoul @Scottishcringe @paulieboy1 the other parties must dream of that level of 'failure'.
I'm going to point out *again* - that this is pretty much exactly the same level of 'failure' (if we're not being Rentoul / Martin sardonic 'success') that Labour in Wales achieved. Holyrood has double the number of seats as the Welsh Assembly - the SNP are 2 seats short of a majority - Labour are 1 seat down from last time.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

Fallon's fucked, Gani will sue has arse off for that.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Yes. There is a God.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

'Does anyone know what time Hopkins is doing the sausage thing?'

From BTL on the Huff Post piece on Tories congratulating Khan.

Does anyone know?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

gilsey wrote:Yes. There is a God.
I wish. He'd have struck the buggers down at birth if there were.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Idle thought.
I wonder what Rustinpeace thinks of yesterdays results? He/she Tweeted that he/she paid £3 and voted for Corybyn because he spelled failure for Labour.

I thanked him for his vote then.

Need to thank him again.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mr Riots is back to culinary form. House filled with smoke from charred toast.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

Temulkar wrote:Fallon's fucked, Gani will sue has arse off for that.
I really hope Mr Gani is closeted with his lawyers right now.
Because there is no way in the world that the british government should get away with smearing a british citizen like this.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Sayeeda Warsi ‏@SayeedaWarsi 12h12 hours ago
From this daughter of a Pakistani bus driver to a son of a Pakistani bus driver congratulations @SadiqKhan
Her congrats seem to have been a bit overlooked.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

ohsocynical wrote:Idle thought.
I wonder what Rustinpeace thinks of yesterdays results? He/she Tweeted that he/she paid £3 and voted for Corybyn because he spelled failure for Labour.

I thanked him for his vote then.

Need to thank him again.

Didn't our own Technical Ephemera predict many losses due to Corbyn just a few days ago?
Or am I not remembering correctly?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

He wasn't alone, tbf. I thought significant council losses were almost nailed on and said so.

Thought we might drop a few more seats in Wales too.

Delighted to be wrong :)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

What do we reckon the relationship between Khan and Teresa May will turn out to be like? I'm betting she won't want to go anywhere near the Fallon / Cameron type remarks whilst she is looking towards a possible leadership campaign.

Wonder if Khan will find a good use for some redundant water cannon. Hosing down far too flammable senior Tory MPs spouting racist smears?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Laura Kuenssberg @bbclaurak
Labour up 2% on those figures, Tories down 5%

Jon Trickett ‏@jon_trickett 21h21 hours ago
Jon Trickett Retweeted Laura Kuenssberg

Fantastic news for @jeremycorbyn's @UKLabour. First national test of new leadership & we've beaten the Tories. Jon Trickett added,
I bet it hurt her to say that.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Paul Goodman ‏@PaulGoodmanCH 23m23 minutes ago
Don't agree with all of it, but CCHQ should take this @Mohammed_Amin critique of @ZacGoldsmith campaign v.seriously

Mohammed Amin: I’m a Conservative, and voted for Zac. But I was disgusted by his repeated, risible attempts to smear Khan
http://www.conservativehome.com/platfor ... -khan.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

As Mayor of London we can assume that Khan will be called on by the BBC etc to pronounce on every political issue of the moment can't we?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Peter Oborne ‏@OborneTweets 1h1 hour ago

Please sign this petition urging Prime Minister to apologise to Suliman Gani for making false claims against him:

http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/2016/0 ... ainst-him/
Oborne is really disgusted with the Tories, isn't he.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:As Mayor of London we can assume that Khan will be called on by the BBC etc to pronounce on every political issue of the moment can't we?
Hopefully, the contrast when Khan starts putting through decent changes will show just how bad Boris was at the job, and dissuade dotty Tories from saying they'd like to see him as PM ...

Well, I can live in hope can't I?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

ohsocynical wrote:

Please sign this petition urging Prime Minister to apologise to Suliman Gani for making false claims against him:

I think right wingers like Oborne and Montgomerie do have clarity of vision, misguided though I feel they often are. I think they know that PR Dave with his opportunistic politics and complete absence of guiding principles risks entirely destroying the Tories. While conventional wisdom suggests Dave will pass on to George who will serial U-turn his way through to another victory in 2015 against a weak Labour party, there must be an alternative scenario where the Conservatives simply become a laughing stock.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Last thought before I venture out into the Spring weather, I hope Dave is slaughtered for his lie about Gani.

It really was an abuse of parliamentary privilege, because the lie had already been uttered by Goldsmith (or his campaign) outside of the House, and debunked.

So, Dave took into the house a known lie and repeated it. He should go.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

After a week in which he has been pilloried across social media, one might expect George Osborne to steer clear of Twitter for a while. Instead, he issued a series of bizarre tweets on Friday morning which gave Twitter users ample fuel to roast the Chancellor once again.

Seemingly in reaction to Tory gains against the SNP in Scotland, Mr Osborne issued this nonsensical and classless tweet. He followed it up with a rash of others, none of which seemed to particularly impress anyone.

http://www.thecanary.co/2016/05/06/geor ... n-results/
Oh good Lord.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Last thought before I venture out into the Spring weather, I hope Dave is slaughtered for his lie about Gani.

It really was an abuse of parliamentary privilege, because the lie had already been uttered by Goldsmith (or his campaign) outside of the House, and debunked.

So, Dave took into the house a known lie and repeated it. He should go.
At any other time in our history, he'd have resigned.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Does anyone know if Khan is planning to stay on as an MP?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

I think right wingers like Oborne and Montgomerie do have clarity of vision, misguided though I feel they often are. I think they know that PR Dave with his opportunistic politics and complete absence of guiding principles risks entirely destroying the Tories. While conventional wisdom suggests Dave will pass on to George who will serial U-turn his way through to another victory in 2015 against a weak Labour party, there must be an alternative scenario where the Conservatives simply become a laughing stock.
I've pointed out several times to gloating Tories btl at the G who think Corbyn means the Tories automatically win in 2020 that there's nothing about Labour doing badly ( if they do under Corbyn ) that directly translates into the Tories doing well. There are other parties and Coalitions remain a possibility. Both the main parties have been steadily losing popularity and the old adage that ruling parties rarely increase their vote share remains relevant. I believe post-Cameron could prove far trickier than they expect.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

I'd class them as old style Tories. It's been hard to understand why so many have kept quiet. It's taken an awful long time for them to speak out.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Does anyone know if Khan is planning to stay on as an MP?
Don't think so. There'll be a by election in Tooting.

As I said last night - wonder which candidate and party Suliman Gani - constituent and imam in Tooting - will feel like supporting?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Rebecca wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:And thank you Owen Jones for a great piece on 'doing a Zac' in the G.
Just don't bother going btl,a rather foul place to find yourself,(or oneself if feeling a bit posh)on a Saturday morning.
Full of very nasty Tory comments.
Tories pay money for that support - they'd not get it otherwise
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

good-morning, everyone
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
ohsocynical wrote: Oborne is really disgusted with the Tories, isn't he.
I've pointed out several times to gloating Tories btl at the G who think Corbyn means the Tories automatically win in 2020 that there's nothing about Labour doing badly ( if they do under Corbyn ) that directly translates into the Tories doing well. There are other parties and Coalitions remain a possibility. Both the main parties have been steadily losing popularity and the old adage that ruling parties rarely increase their vote share remains relevant. I believe post-Cameron could prove far trickier than they expect.
(my bold)

Holy smokes - that must have confused the hell out of them
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Willow904 wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Think I've remembered it right. Tories down 5%? Labour up 2%?

They say with those percentages Labour would have won yesterday.

It's boundary changes that make the Tories the biggest danger now.
I think their policies and uselessness have finally begun to sink in so the only way they have a chance is to skew constituencies in their favour.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

ohsocynical wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
I'd class them as old style Tories. It's been hard to understand why so many have kept quiet. It's taken an awful long time for them to speak out.
If Zac had won they wouldn't have said anything.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:I'm going on a picnic later today ... Last minute as son has been keeping an eye on the weather. He sprang it on us yesterday evening.
Normally I enjoy doing the food, but waiting 'til Friday evening when the fridge is decidedly bare? They'll have to fend for themselves this time. :)
He's a good son, what a lovely person. It's the Ohso families of the world keeping life a joy.