Saturday & Sunday, 7th & 8th May.

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday & Sunday, 7th & 8th May.

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:Why wasn't Corbyn at the Leeds Half?
He didn't attend my husband's birthday party either, the fiend.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Scorchio.jpg
Scorchio.jpg (36.26 KiB) Viewed 5643 times
That's us that is.
Working on the wild side.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

So all the PCC results now in - notable is the steep decline in Independent/non-party winners, only three this time round.

Just the Bristol council results to finish - and then "Super Thursday" is finally complete.

Some other news from earlier today - Torbay voted to abolish its elected mayor, and in a council by-election there LibDems gained a seat from the Tories on a huge swing.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Panama Papers: Tomorrow [Monday] Individuals and companies named in massive document leak to be named public
'We think that information about who owns the company should be public and transparent,' says the International

Consortium of Investigative Journalists
Matt Payton 18 minutes ago0 comments

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 18956.html
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
Maeght
Committee Chair

Post by Maeght »

citizenJA wrote:
HindleA wrote:Why wasn't Corbyn at the Leeds Half?
He didn't attend my husband's birthday party either, the fiend.
I have a friend who has just had a baby. Corbyn hasn't sent best wishes or a card. He doesn't know my friend but is that a valid excuse?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Scorchio.jpg
That's us that is.
Beautiful here too. Hot and windy. My favourite weather
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

The Guardian seems to be ignoring the PCC elections.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Just been looking back over Mike Smithson's numerous tweets since Thursday.

Strange that he seems to have avoided mentioning the strange case of the disappearing Welsh Lib Dems.
They lost 80% of their Assembly seats, party leader resigned, but not a peep from Lib Dem Smithson it seems.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

I recall many people saying Corbyn is too old for the job.
Seems to have boundless energy to me,and I would bet he is a lot fitter than our fat,florid and fraudulent PM (that's if the election rigging is true).
Also a hot day here,2nd batch of bedding almost dry and cold wine waiting for post dog walk.
My poor old dog is very poorly again today,he's still giving me beady looks in case I leave him at home again.Which I shall seeing as he can barely walk.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

yahyah wrote:The Guardian seems to be ignoring the PCC elections.
So do most voters, tbf :P
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Rebecca wrote:I recall many people saying Corbyn is too old for the job.
Seems to have boundless energy to me,and I would bet he is a lot fitter than our fat,florid and fraudulent PM (that's if the election rigging is true).
You can seriously see 71 year old Corbyn "running for PM" for the first time?

The only major leader in the world who's older that I can think of is Jerry Brown who became (again) Governor of California at 72.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Also a hot day here,2nd batch of bedding almost dry and cold wine waiting for post dog walk.
My poor old dog is very poorly again today,he's still giving me beady looks in case I leave him at home again.Which I shall seeing as he can barely walk.

Oh, poor old sausage. The dog, not you. Hope he perks up.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:

The only major leader in the world who's older that I can think of is Jerry Brown who became (again) Governor of California at 72.

We're an ageing population, so why not ?
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

Ballot boxes barely back in their cupboards and we get this:
Nicola Sturgeon has confirmed her intention to relaunch the SNP’s independence campaign in the summer despite being reduced to a minority in Holyrood.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/nicola-stu ... -1-4122210
The only other definitely pro-independence party in Holyrood are the Greens. I wonder if she's got their support. (I use the term 'definitely' since it seems the SLP either don't know or don't care :( )
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:So all the PCC results now in - notable is the steep decline in Independent/non-party winners, only three this time round.

Just the Bristol council results to finish - and then "Super Thursday" is finally complete.

Some other news from earlier today - Torbay voted to abolish its elected mayor, and in a council by-election there LibDems gained a seat from the Tories on a huge swing.

Torbay's erstwhile elected mayor is the only one of 17 who is a Tory.

I wonder if any of the papers will pick that one up?
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Not unless his name is Corbyn Ephie.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Update on Bristol

Labour 27
Cons 10
Libs 7
Green 3
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:

Hilary Clinton is 69 this year, Donald Trump is 70, Bernie is 75. It doesnt seem to matter for leader of the free world, so why should age be an issue here?

He's fit healthy, active, has lived the life of a trappist monk from what I can see. Churchill was 77 when he began his last premiership and was a drunken old soak. Palmerston was 71 when he became PM for the first time. John Glenn went into space in his 70s.

I think we have been too quick to dismiss people because of their age, espescially when my generation seems to be performing so spectacularly badly.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:

Hmph. As long as his brain is working I can't see a problem. At present Corbyn is putting in a working week that would seriously wear out fifty year olds.

We have a 'young' government. Working well isn't it.

Roosevelt ran the US from a wheelchair...

Youth or lack of it shouldn't matter. The ability to run a country does.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:

Yes. And thank you for mentioning Governor Jerry Brown - strong, energetic and healthy, like Jeremy Corbyn.
Some people are more than capable of effectively leading in their 70's or later - it depends upon the person.

A different kind of leader - born in Vietnam in 1927 - Thich Nhat Hanh is 88 years old. He's survived the Vietnamese
conflict - a Buddhist monk actively teaching and helping everyone with non-violent action, travelled to the US
to help Dr. Martin Luther King during the Civil Rights Movement and after receiving the Nobel Peace Prize in 1967,
was refused entry back into Vietnam. He's been an exile for 39 years, travelling all over, working for peace.
Always active, non-violent, in the world, not cloistered away, the man lives his life one step at a time.

I strongly encourage everyone to read Thich Nhat Hanh's biography linked below.

http://plumvillage.org/about/thich-nhat-hanh/biography/

People live long and healthy lives, not losing capability or capacity for leadership duties.
Jeremy Corbyn is currently one of them. Hillary Clinton is 68 years old.
Last edited by citizenJA on Sun 08 May, 2016 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Have just seen that our MP, Mark Williams, has been named leader of the Welsh Lib Dems.
Last man standing really.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Touch and go to see if Labour get an overall majority in Bristol

Currently have 29 seats (just won 2 off the Greens - sorry Tem) and need 36 for a clear OM, but 35 will be enough as casting vote will be in Labour's hands apparently

19 seats to declare but seem to be a lot of Greens so I am guessing a few seats short
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

citizenJA wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:

Yes. And thank you for mentioning Governor Jerry Brown - strong, energetic and healthy, like Jeremy Corbyn.
Some people are more than capable of effectively leading in their 70's or later - it depends upon the person.

A different kind of leader - born in Vietnam in 1927 - Thich Nhat Hanh is 88 years old. He's survived the Vietnamese
conflict - a Buddhist monk actively teaching and helping everyone with non-violent action, travelled to the US
to help Dr. Martin Luther King during the Civil Rights Movement and after receiving the Nobel Peace Prize in 1967,
was refused entry back into Vietnam. He's been an exile for 39 years, travelling all over, working for peace.
Always active, non-violent, in the world, not cloistered away, the man lives his life one step at a time.

I strongly encourage everyone to read Thich Nhat Hanh's biography linked below.

http://plumvillage.org/about/thich-nhat-hanh/biography/

People live long and healthy lives, not losing capability or capacity for leadership duties.
Jeremy Corbyn is currently one of them. Hillary Clinton is 68 years old.

I'm reading Thich Nhat Hanh's Peace of Mind at the moment and getting a lot from it.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

yahyah wrote:Have just seen that our MP, Mark Williams, has been named leader of the Welsh Lib Dems.

He was actually - there was no-one else. It has been on LDV that it has to be either an MEP, MP or AM and the only other option stood down - can see a change of the rules coming up!
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Now I'll use the collected wisdom of my nearly 72 years, remind you my brain is in my head and has little relevance to what my body gets up to, and say the young men - and they wereyoung when they took positions of power, have made a right balls up.

I was all for giving them a chance. Serial failure. Time to hand back the reins.
Last edited by ohsocynical on Sun 08 May, 2016 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

The Bristol Green group leader lost her seat, as did the past group leader. Both won by Labour, in one case by only 7 votes.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

howsillyofme1 wrote:
yahyah wrote:Have just seen that our MP, Mark Williams, has been named leader of the Welsh Lib Dems.

He was actually - there was no-one else. It has been on LDV that it has to be either an MEP, MP or AM and the only other option stood down - can see a change of the rules coming up!
:lol: I know we probably need a Lib Dem revival to help hit the Tories in some places, but I can't help laughing at their travails.

I did warn Mark Williams that the Libs would get wiped out in Wales.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

yahyah wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:

But politicians, like policemen, are looking younger.

I think too so much politics is negative now, it's an advantage for a challenger to be "fresh".
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Nick Clegg was fresh. Look how that turned out.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Temulkar wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:

Hilary Clinton is 69 this year, Donald Trump is 70, Bernie is 75. It doesnt seem to matter for leader of the free world, so why should age be an issue here?

He's fit healthy, active, has lived the life of a trappist monk from what I can see. Churchill was 77 when he began his last premiership and was a drunken old soak. Palmerston was 71 when he became PM for the first time. John Glenn went into space in his 70s.

I think we have been too quick to dismiss people because of their age, espescially when my generation seems to be performing so spectacularly badly.
Clinton and Trump would be younger than Corbyn, I think, albeit not by very much. They're pretty much exceptions though. Age did McCain and Bob Dole no favours.

I think being old and "inexperienced" as Corbyn is would be a perfect storm electorally, sadly.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

howsillyofme1 wrote:Touch and go to see if Labour get an overall majority in Bristol

Currently have 29 seats (just won 2 off the Greens - sorry Tem) and need 36 for a clear OM, but 35 will be enough as casting vote will be in Labour's hands apparently

19 seats to declare but seem to be a lot of Greens so I am guessing a few seats short
Thats ok :) we've taken Clifton off the tories, I believe, so two back to us there. Students and rich professionals. I always thought of Clifton as a bit liberal sandal wearer when I was at uni. Mind you, I was living in MOntpelier, drinking in the Mont - never did see SamCam + I served behind the bar a few times in there- hotel, and going to raves in Easton community centre at the time, so maybe not the best judge.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

yahyah wrote:Nick Clegg was fresh. Look how that turned out.
Yeah, but he got there at all. Unlike Ming, who was 68 in 2010.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
yahyah wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote: You can seriously see 71 year old Corbyn "running for PM" for the first time?

I think too so much politics is negative now, it's an advantage for a challenger to be "fresh".
But an older person has been through all the stages. Childhood, teens, young adult, old adult, middle aged and old. He/she can identify with all of them. Whilst many younger, 'fresher' politicians are proving to be totally crass and ignoring a great chunk of the electorate. Continuing to knock Corbyn is one of them ... It's total arrogance ignoring the wishes of the majority.

And edited to add - who's being negative? Mostly it's younger Labour MPs.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

ohsocynical wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
yahyah wrote:

But an older person has been through all the stages. Childhood, teens, young adult, old adult, middle aged and old. He/she can identify with all of them. Whilst many younger, 'fresher' politicians are proving to be totally crass and ignoring a great chunk of the electorate. Continuing to knock Corbyn is one of them ... It's total arrogance ignoring the wishes of the majority.
Older politicians have also lived through history rather than getting it second hand.
Suspect there are a lot more youngish right wingers because they didn't actually experience life under Thatcher.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Just a reminder: my daughter is 54. My son 50, so to me, anyone in that age group is 'young'.

And by God some of the Labour group are acting as if they're still in nappies.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Green's 2012 mayoral candidate has lost to Labour in Bristol.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Back to Bristol

Don't know the politics well but it seems to have had an interesting history in electoral terms - and I would suggest the Bitterites have a look at it

Labour went from 40 seats in 2001 down to a low of 16 in 2009 - it then rose up in the Miliband years back towards 30 - and 30 is what is the number now with around 17 seats still to declare

The damage to Labour was done in the post 2005 time and especially around the financial crisis - nothing to do with Corbyn as far as I can tell - much credit has to go to Miliband and it seems that Corbyn is consolidating things

PS Just read that Bristol Labour up to 31 and expected to have a clean sweep in another ward which will bring them to 33 - Labour could take from NOC still

Perhaps him spending some time in Bristol before the campaign has helped a bit....but no it will be to the sole credit of others no doubt
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

It's 32 now
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Temulkar wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote: You can seriously see 71 year old Corbyn "running for PM" for the first time?

Clinton and Trump would be younger than Corbyn, I think, albeit not by very much. They're pretty much exceptions though. Age did McCain and Bob Dole no favours.

I think being old and "inexperienced" as Corbyn is would be a perfect storm electorally, sadly.
Didnt do Reagan any harm in winning at 69 - although the presidents brain was missing - Manny Singh was 68 when he led the largest democracy in the world - 78 when he left in 2014 and India changed out of sight in his years; no lack of energy there.

There are so many examples in the last fifty years of leaders coming to power in their late 60s early 70s and doing a good job that it makes a nonsense of criticising Corbyn for his age.

Chilcott is coming, Brexit could well be coming, another economic crash is coming this year, enviromental disasters are getting bigger and bigger, Greece is in the firing line again, the migrant crisis is getting worse, and our public services are teetering in collapse. By the time we get to conference season things are going to look very different.

We are in a period of radical historical change that even the oldest amongst us havent seen since their childhood. 70 years of gradual incremental change is being replaced by sudden radical shifts. The old status quo establishment - both labour and tory - way of doing things has no answers in this political, economic, environmental, societal international flux.

Corbyn and the new left grasp that point, for some of them its a moment they have been waiting all their lives for. Farage and the new right grasp it as well, sadly.

If there is a general election before 2020 it will be because disaster is upon us - even if that is a tory inspired constitutional crisis - and I actually think Corbyn will win.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

34 now, someone says the best result for Bristol Labour since 2002.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

yahyah wrote:It's 32 now

34 :clap:

1 more for effective control, 2 more for complete control - would be the first time since 2003

But then again the current Labour Party only lose!
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Well...

:clap:
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Eric_WLothian wrote:Ballot boxes barely back in their cupboards and we get this:
Nicola Sturgeon has confirmed her intention to relaunch the SNP’s independence campaign in the summer despite being reduced to a minority in Holyrood.

The only other definitely pro-independence party in Holyrood are the Greens. I wonder if she's got their support. (I use the term 'definitely' since it seems the SLP either don't know or don't care :( )
Well that will probably strengthen Davidson's hand, no?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Eric_WLothian wrote:Ballot boxes barely back in their cupboards and we get this:

It's perfect for Ruthie, this union stuff. Get her on schools and hospitals and she won't sound so good. Even in Wales, where the NHS gets attacked all the time, the suggestion of it being like Tory England's is poisonous.

Is it going to work? Surely horns honk now when Swinney talks about "economic levers"? I can't see that hardening unionist tactical voting is a good idea for the SNP.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

deleted post
Last edited by yahyah on Sun 08 May, 2016 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Bristol -

More bad news for Labour.
:D
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:

It's perfect for Ruthie, this union stuff. Get her on schools and hospitals and she won't sound so good. Even in Wales, where the NHS gets attacked all the time, the suggestion of it being like Tory England's is poisonous.

Is it going to work? Surely horns honk now when Swinney talks about "economic levers"? I can't see that hardening unionist tactical voting is a good idea for the SNP.

I think we are over-estimating how popular this Tory is.....Labour in total chaos in Scotland and the LD nowhere and she only pipped Labour by a small amount

If it becomes union vs independence then why would people who perceive themselves on the left, having voted Tory all their lives suddenly vote Tory? If independence bothered them so much why are they voting SNP?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

howsillyofme1 wrote:
yahyah wrote:It's 32 now

34 :clap:

1 more for effective control, 2 more for complete control - would be the first time since 2003

But then again the current Labour Party only lose!
God - Corbyn was really stupid to go and campaign there wasn't he. Hand of doom.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

Scottish Greens are pro independence if Brexit happens.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Labour have just gained another ward - Easton.