Monday 9th May 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 9th May 2016

Post by yahyah »

ephemerid wrote:Jess Phillips has now decided that people getting stroppy with Laura Kuenssberg (male or female) are guilty of institutional sexism.

She also announced that this institutional sexism is so rife that it's "unconscious" and the people doing it "don't even know they are perpetrators"

People have been pointing out to her that when Nick Robinson had her job he got a lot of stick too. Her answer to that is "...the froth and fever she faces has unconscious gender tone and motive".

Crikey!

So if I have a pop at Nick Robinson or Brillo-Pad Neill or John Pienaar, I'm allowed to say that I think they're prats with a rightie agenda.
If I have a pop at Laura Kuenssberg for the same reasons, I am demonstrating institutionalised sexism but I don't know I'm doing it.

Is it me?????
No. It is her.

It was about time the BBC had a female political editor but they didn't need such a poor one.
There are so many good women journalists at the Beeb. Michal Hussein, Razia Iqbal, Bridget Kendall etc.

Kuenssberg seems to signal a move to tabloid style political reporting. That ain't sexism of any sort, just reality.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

A bit like anti-semitism/racism, then.

Of course part of it is that the left considers itself "better" on these things than the right - so is often actually OK with being held to higher standards.

Laudable in a way, but as you say also annoying when it results in the right being let off the hook so much :x
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Just had a two question survey from YouGov. It was questions about voting for the Dyfed Powys police commissioner which they issued the other day missing the Labour and one other candidate.

I gave YouGov a bit of a rollicking about it. Good to see they have tried to correct their error.
But a bit late now as the result was announced yesterday.
ScarletGas
Committee Chair

Post by ScarletGas »

danesclose wrote:
yahyah wrote:Morning.

Have been listening to Radio 4 since before 7am.
No mention of the Bristol win.
If the situation had been reversed, and it was a Labour wipeout, I'm sure their editor would have noticed and invited a host of 'moderates' to cause trouble.
Afternoon.

@yahyah, the BBC local news didn't report the Bristol Council elections, though they did mention Marvin Rees' election as mayor & managed to get a snide aside about Corbyn into the report. Lead story was a massive fire in Lechlade (no injuries), then the mayor, then Bristol Rovers being promoted (of particular interest to one 'Nester in particular :D )
Well after that ringing endorsement of the mighty "gas" I cannot claim the BBC is beyond redemption can I?

Continuing the theme I was lunching with friends who happen to live close to Lechlade at a very nice hostelry on Saturday on the way to a performance of Karl Jenkins Requiem conducted by the Maestro himself.

During lunch politics somehow came into conversation. Now this is unusual because we are both aware of our political leanings and we do not want to fall out. However the comment was made that he was a little frightened by Corbyn. I am asked him why and what information he based this view upon. Of course it was the BBC and the Daily Fascist. Not wanting to spoil an excellent lunch I thought I would broaden the discussion by asking him what he wanted in a politician. His reply...Honesty, consistency and principles (which we both at least agreed ruled Nick Clegg out straight away!)

The conversation finished quite amicably by him agreeing to my suggestion that he studies Jeremy Corbyn and his views since around 1985 and compares his honesty, consistency and principles with David Cameron's since around 2008.I think he is in for an eye-opening. He may not agree with Corbyns view but I do not think he can deny he has the three main attributes he was looking for.

This does however bring home how difficult it is, despite the increasing presence of social media, to overcome the overwhelming power of the establishment poodles in the media when they repeat lies and obfuscation ad nausem with very little accountability on their part.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

Looking at the Historians for Britain group that Boris mentioned today http://historiansforbritain.org/supporters/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Whilst some of them are exceptional - if misguided in their interpretation - a more frothing bunch of right wing idealogues could not be found historically.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

StephenDolan wrote:The moderates saying they agree with a big tent strategy. They'd be happy to become a member of the shadow cabinet?
This got me thinking actually - how many of these supposed "big beasts" does Labour really miss on its front bench?

Cooper, absolutely (even though I never wanted her as leader) I would have liked it if McGovern and Bradshaw had stayed on too.

And I like Liz K as a person, however awful her leadership campaign (undoubtedly) was.

Beyond that, though, I'm struggling a bit......
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ephemerid wrote:Jess Phillips has now decided that people getting stroppy with Laura Kuenssberg (male or female) are guilty of institutional sexism.

She also announced that this institutional sexism is so rife that it's "unconscious" and the people doing it "don't even know they are perpetrators"

People have been pointing out to her that when Nick Robinson had her job he got a lot of stick too. Her answer to that is "...the froth and fever she faces has unconscious gender tone and motive".

Crikey!

So if I have a pop at Nick Robinson or Brillo-Pad Neill or John Pienaar, I'm allowed to say that I think they're prats with a rightie agenda.
If I have a pop at Laura Kuenssberg for the same reasons, I am demonstrating institutionalised sexism but I don't know I'm doing it.

Is it me?????
No. Quite rightly it's been said that Robinson used to get just as much stick.
Someone on Twitter wondered whether she was another Danczuk in the making. She's very excitable but I hope not.

I'm going to be fully sexist here and say that because of her gender, I expect better of her. Women in politics now, are role models who should be paving the way for the future generation. Clacking away when it's sensible to shut up, grates.

I predict she'll end up another Katie Hopkins type. In the media, and picking on contentious issues to earn a living.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

citizenJA wrote:I'm happy with the current Labour party leader, with Khan and his election as Mayor of London and pleased enough with Labour's
recent election results. I like most Labour leadership at all levels. I like the Labour party members I know.

I'm usually unable to untangle the difference between genuine friction between Labour leadership from manufactured mischief
making from those who don't care about the Labour party's existence at all.
I've sorted out how to separate the genuine troublemakers.

If they don't make a statement of denial, then they're it.

Dugher is more or less out in the open now as is Jarvis, Kendall, etc. By their Tweets shall you know them.

But there are those still in the background. Margaret Hodges for example. Named as the stalking horse if there is a leadership bid the other week. You'd have thought she'd be quick to deny something as serious as that if it wasn't true, but as far as I can see, not a peep. Or as my dad used to say, 'not a bloody dickybird.'

I think the Jess Philips tend to be more opportunist which makes them untrusworthy rather than having strong feelings for the left or right.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

This one's for RebeccaR2 and YahYah.

http://voxpoliticalonline.com/2016/05/0 ... ip-leader/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

It looks like the Norfolk Greens haven't taken their drubbing last week by Labour in Norwich well - they abstained on a crucial vote this morning at the county council, allowing the Tories to return to office following three years of a surprisingly durable "rainbow coalition".

This is also known as "doing a Clegg", and the electoral consequences could well not be pretty for the local Greens either :twisted:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:It looks like the Norfolk Greens haven't taken their drubbing last week by Labour in Norwich well - they abstained on a crucial vote this morning at the county council, allowing the Tories to return to office following three years of a surprisingly durable "rainbow coalition".

This is also known as "doing a Clegg", and the electoral consequences could well not be pretty for the local Greens either :twisted:
What the hell was the vote for / against?
Working on the wild side.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

yahyah wrote:

Crikey!

Is it me?????
No. It is her.

It was about time the BBC had a female political editor but they didn't need such a poor one.
There are so many good women journalists at the Beeb. Michal Hussein, Razia Iqbal, Bridget Kendall etc.

Kuenssberg seems to signal a move to tabloid style political reporting. That ain't sexism of any sort, just reality.
My dad is poorly and suffering from dementia. Watching politics on the tv is one of his few pleasures left these days and I'm afraid Laura Keunssberg isn't doing him any good. He gets very agitated when she comes on, complains that she never stops talking (without actually saying anything) and is generally missing Nick Robinson terribly. I would be very glad to see the back of her for his sake alone. And I have to say, suggestions that people think she's rubbish because they're sexist is absolute bull. Over the years the BBC has employed some absolutely excellent female foreign correspondents. Do people complain that Lyse Doucet is rubbish? No, they don't, because she isn't and LK wouldn't have a problem either if she was any good.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I hear on Radio 4 that Devon & Cornwall police force are to ask another police force to carry out the investigation into Tory election expenses in their area - rather than have Alison Hernandez stand aside so she isn't overseeing the force that will be investigating her conduct. I wonder which of those options will be the more expensive for the Devon & Cornwall constituents and general taxpayer? She's got some front. Won't make herself available for any comment to the media and just issues the same old generic guff all the Tory agents involved have.

One day into your new job and you're making the news for all the wrong reasons. Remember how some people weren't allowed to stand as PCC candidates last time because they had minor misdemeanours on their record from a very long time ago? How does that stringency square with this laxity and fudged response?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:

Crikey!

Is it me?????
Someone on Twitter wondered whether she was another Danczuk in the making. She's very excitable but I hope not.

I'm going to be fully sexist here and say that because of her gender, I expect better of her. Women in politics now, are role models who should be paving the way for the future generation. Clacking away when it's sensible to shut up, grates.

I predict she'll end up another Katie Hopkins type. In the media, and picking on contentious issues to earn a living.
I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest what I think you're getting at. Authenticity. A woman (or a man) playing a part,
no matter how well-intentioned, isn't convincing. It's not possible to trust someone who's playing a part. Let's test this out.
What are your thoughts about the Angela Eagle? I mean, do you have a problem with her as a female politician? I'm not
referring to policy differences between you Eagle. In my opinion, Eagle knows who she is, not acting a part, not forcing herself
to be someone she's not.

There are as many ways to be an authentic, effective, female Parliamentary member as there are women. Think of the female
politicians you like well enough. I'd hazard a guess those women share fundamentally trustworthy traits male politicians you
like have too. They're genuine, authoritative and convincing, male and female each bringing their real selves to their job.
Last edited by citizenJA on Mon 09 May, 2016 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:It looks like the Norfolk Greens haven't taken their drubbing last week by Labour in Norwich well - they abstained on a crucial vote this morning at the county council, allowing the Tories to return to office following three years of a surprisingly durable "rainbow coalition".

Thats really dumb given we are working with Labour in Worcester and holding out the hand in London, and actually Brizzle too despite it not being needed there.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Scheming ex-Tory MP Neil Hamilton is plotting a UKIP coup to seize control of the party in the Welsh Assembly .
Mr Hamilton plans to stage a coup when the party gets together in the Welsh capital on Tuesday.
He said: “We’re going to have a collective discussion when we all meet together and we’ll come up with a decision as to which of us is likely to be the most effective leader in the Assembly.
Asked if he would be the best candidate, Mr Hamilton added: “I, of course, have a lot of parliamentary experience and so has [fellow UKIP AM and ex-Tory MP] Mark Reckless .

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/sc ... il-7926895" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Boris seems to have been ruffling a few feathers this morning. Is he turning into Prince Philip?:
Carl Bildt, the former Swedish prime minister and a former EU and UN special envoy to the Balkans, has said that Boris Johnson’s comments about Russia and Ukraine (see 1.44pm) are “complete nonsense”.
Radoslaw Sikorski, the former Polish foreign minister, has used Twitter to express concern about Boris Johnson’s comments about Ukraine.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Now I'm seeing tweets from political journos saying Labour MPs posed for the photo with new winners and then straightaway told the journos there was a 'poisonous' atmosphere in the PLP - and that Sadiq Khan will face a hero's welcome at the meeting of the PLP tonight but Corbyn will be 'grilled' etc.

What the heck has Corbyn done to be 'grilled' about?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Willow904 wrote:
yahyah wrote:

Crikey!

Is it me?????
No. It is her.

My dad is poorly and suffering from dementia. Watching politics on the tv is one of his few pleasures left these days and I'm afraid Laura Keunssberg isn't doing him any good. He gets very agitated when she comes on, complains that she never stops talking (without actually saying anything) and is generally missing Nick Robinson terribly. I would be very glad to see the back of her for his sake alone. And I have to say, suggestions that people think she's rubbish because they're sexist is absolute bull. Over the years the BBC has employed some absolutely excellent female foreign correspondents. Do people complain that Lyse Doucet is rubbish? No, they don't, because she isn't and LK wouldn't have a problem either if she was any good.
Lyse Doucet is brilliant. I also rate Orla Guerin. And who do we end up with?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

More info on the Norfolk council matter here:

Rainbow alliance under threat as Greens withdraw support for George Nobbs
http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/politics/ra ... _1_4526634" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Political Scrapbook ‏@PSbook 5m5 minutes ago
Gob-smacking. After praising and endorsing Zac Goldsmith, Evening Standard now admits his campaign was "toxic"
http://politicalscrapbook.net/2016/05/a ... was-toxic/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

What the hell was the vote for / against?
The county council, under Labour's George Nobbs, have a road improvement project called NDR (northern distributor road) which the Greens have had issues with for ages, plus disagreement over a devolution agreement.
Last May [George Nobbs] won the support of 42 votes compared to Cliff Jordan, leader of the Conservative Group, on 39.

But the four Green county councillors have now written to Mr Nobbs, who represents the Crome ward, announcing they will abstain from the vote on Monday’s council meeting.

Richard Bearman, leader of the Green group, said they would stand back from the vote as a result of Mr Nobbs’ “ardent support for constructing the Norwich NDR, and the shambles of the content of the devolution agreement”.

“Our objection is also to the content of the agreement,” he added. “There is no mention at all of climate change, the biggest issue facing us this century.”

Clive Lewis, Labour MP for Norwich South, said handing the balance of power to the Conservatives in protest over devolution was “not an acceptable reason” and issued a plea for them to support Mr Nobbs.

“I would ask them to listen to the better angels of their nature,” he said.

“If they abstain they will be handing over our county council to the Tories at a time when we have a Tory government making some of the most drastic cuts to local authority services we have ever seen.

“They would have to live with that decision, and when the cuts begin to bite people will know it could have been done differently.”
http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/politics/ra ... _1_4526634" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's worth noting that the Greens seem to be smarting over losing seats on the City Council, whereas this is the County Council. Strange. :?
Last edited by nickyinnorfolk on Mon 09 May, 2016 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Chris Bryant MP ‏@RhonddaBryant 5m5 minutes ago
I have a sneaking suspicion the government is planning to release the bbc white paper when parliament isn't sitting. #SaveOurBBC
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

citizenJA wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

Crikey!

Is it me?????

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest what I think you're getting at. Authenticity. A woman (or a man) playing a part,
no matter how well-intentioned, isn't convincing. It's not possible to trust someone who's playing a part. Let's test this out.
What are your thoughts about the Angela Eagle? I mean, do you have a problem with her as a female politician? I'm not
referring to policy differences between you Eagle. In my opinion, Eagle knows who she is, not acting a part, not forcing herself
to be someone she's not.

There are as many ways to be an authentic, effective, female Parliamentary member as there are women. Think of the female
politicians you like well enough. I'd hazard a guess those women share fundamentally trustworthy traits male politicians you
like have too. They're genuine, authoritative and convincing, male and female each bringing their real selves to their job.
Yes. You've described it exactly. Playing a part. I bloody hate it and resent being called sexist.

I tend to judge people by would I enjoy meeting them, talking to them, feeling comfortable in their presence. Do they have a warm personality that shines through.

So far, Sarah Champion is the only one that I've felt would fit the criteria. Passionate, polite, hardworking, avoids contentious issues, strong, and very brave because her job involves child abuse. I admire her so much. I couldn't do it.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Peter Oborne is not going away about the Tories' slurs on Suliman Gani - good on him.
Suliman Gani lives in fear after David Cameron's lie
http://www.middleeasteye.net/columns/da ... 9dWFc.dpuf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
... As a result of Mr Cameron’s remarks in parliament, however, Mr Gani is now living a life of fear.

On Sunday night the Imam told me that he was now being targeted by thugs, and was afraid to go out into the streets with his family.

He revealed how on Saturday night abuse was shouted at him as he went to buy a meal in a nearby restaurant, the Grill Shack on London Road in Thornton Heath, South London.

Mr Gani told me: “I got out of the car and walked towards the shop. As I did so, I heard the words: ‘Terrorist. Terrorist.’ The words came from two men seated in a car parked by the side of the road.

“I did not turn and look at them. I tried to ignore them and walked straight on into the shop. I just avoided any confrontation.”

Mr Gani told me that he had never been targeted or abused in this way before. Saturday night’s verbal assault came on the same day that he was named on national radio by Defence Secretary Michael Fallon as a Daesh supporter.

It is highly unlikely to be a coincidence that he has been targeted after coming under such high-profile attacks – and Gani, who cuts a distinctive figure in long robes and a beard, now lives in fear: “People think that there must be something in it for the prime minister to say such a thing. I sense people looking at me in a certain way. You can notice the difference.”

Mr Gani told me that he did not go out with his family - he has four daughters and two sons, the youngest of whom is three - yesterday, as he would normally have done on a Sunday, for fear of exposing them to “trauma”.

He said: “I was concerned if someone does something in front of the children. I did not want them to get upset.”
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

rebeccariots2 wrote:More info on the Norfolk council matter here:

Rainbow alliance under threat as Greens withdraw support for George Nobbs
Snap! Posted before I saw this .... :)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

WOW. More from that Oborne piece.
It is now nearly three weeks since David Cameron told parliament that Mr Gani was an IS supporter. Since then neither the prime minister nor his advisers have been able to produce a scintilla of evidence supporting the claim.

Strict parliamentary rules forbid uttering false statements to parliament. In particular paragraph 1.2.c of the Ministerial Code states that: “It is of paramount importance that ministers give accurate and truthful information to Parliament, correcting any inadvertent error at the earliest opportunity. Ministers who knowingly mislead Parliament will be expected to offer their resignation.”

David Cameron understands this better than anyone else, since he wrote the introduction to this ministerial code. It is already shocking that almost three weeks have passed without any correction being made. Mr Cameron surely has a moral duty to put the record straight at once. A prime minister who lies about a British citizen and exposes him and his family to hatred and fear is not fit to remain in office.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Margaret Thatcher was about as disconnected from herself as it's possible to be, like Dave Cameron.
They both polished themselves up externally, trained themselves for their roles then go on to say one thing then doing its opposite.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

rebeccariots2 wrote:WOW. More from that Oborne piece.
It is now nearly three weeks since David Cameron told parliament that Mr Gani was an IS supporter. Since then neither the prime minister nor his advisers have been able to produce a scintilla of evidence supporting the claim.

Strict parliamentary rules forbid uttering false statements to parliament. In particular paragraph 1.2.c of the Ministerial Code states that: “It is of paramount importance that ministers give accurate and truthful information to Parliament, correcting any inadvertent error at the earliest opportunity. Ministers who knowingly mislead Parliament will be expected to offer their resignation.”

David Cameron understands this better than anyone else, since he wrote the introduction to this ministerial code. It is already shocking that almost three weeks have passed without any correction being made. Mr Cameron surely has a moral duty to put the record straight at once. A prime minister who lies about a British citizen and exposes him and his family to hatred and fear is not fit to remain in office.

Has he congratulated Sadiq Khan yet?
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

Re Jess Phillips. I get the impression that her sensitivity about 'institutional sexism' is because she has a genuine grievance about treatment she's had throughout her life. But she's still totally wrong about Kuenssberg, and it's odd how she wouldn't revise her opinion even after queues of people on Twitter told her that they were equally critical of the male presenters who are just as biased.

Using Jess's logic, it could equally be said LK's critics must simply have a problem with Glaswegians with a German granddad.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

nickyinnorfolk wrote:Re Jess Phillips. I get the impression that her sensitivity about 'institutional sexism' is because she has a genuine grievance about treatment she's had throughout her life. But she's still totally wrong about Kuenssberg, and it's odd how she wouldn't revise her opinion even after queues of people on Twitter told her that they were equally critical of the male presenters who are just as biased.

Using Jess's logic, it could equally be said LK's critics must simply have a problem with Glaswegians with a German granddad.
Rumbled . . .
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

Once Ruth Davidson rises up the greasy pole of Tory politics, surely any criticism of her will be met with the double whammy of accusations of anti feminism *and* homophobia ...
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Has he congratulated Sadiq Khan yet?

By 'phone yesterday.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I suppose what I'm trying to say is I loathe women who try to take on men and be as good as or better. Or for that matter demand we think of them as superior.
We need female viewpoints. Female solutions as well and we can't do that if we're aping men.

Dammit we should be celebrating the difference.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ohsocynical wrote:I suppose what I'm trying to say is I loathe women who try to take on men and be as good as or better. Or for that matter demand we think of them as superior.
We need female viewpoints. Female solutions as well and we can't do that if we're aping men.

Dammit we should be celebrating the difference.
Cja mentioned Angela Eagle...Not sure. I think I probably view her, in her role in politics as genderless and I don't mean that offensively. Difficult to explain.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

And I suspect LauraK is trying to outdo Robinson. Make her mark. Do the job better than he did.
Although his politics stink Robinson was a hard act to follow.

Silly cow!
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

citizenJA wrote:Margaret Thatcher was about as disconnected from herself as it's possible to be, like Dave Cameron.
They both polished themselves up externally, trained themselves for their roles then go on to say one thing then doing its opposite.

At least Dave hasn't stood outside Downing St on being elected, and quoted St Francis of Assisi.

But there's time.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

And both became PM's repeatedly.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I once worked in a library in California. A Spanish-speaking man politely indicated he needed some assistance at a computer he was
having difficulty with. He didn't speak much English and my Spanish is crap. I helped him willingly and in doing so I came face to
face with assumptions I'd made about him. In all my eagerness to provide an assist, I neglected to consider the man could be a
Spanish-speaking person not speaking English with a computer science degree. The computer he wanted help with required a
pass code he didn't have. That's all. I was only a few seconds into further explanation I assumed he needed when he looked
at me good-naturedly, saying nothing. I saw in his look I need not continue giving him a lesson. I thanked him for his
teaching me one. De nada, he said.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:And both became PM's repeatedly.
They'd good advertising and marketing
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Oh God !! Now the Standard have acknowledged Khan winning London, they're suggesting him for the job of Labour leader.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:
citizenJA wrote:Margaret Thatcher was about as disconnected from herself as it's possible to be, like Dave Cameron.
At least Dave hasn't stood outside Downing St on being elected, and quoted St Francis of Assisi.

But there's time.
He said the NHS is safe in our hands, compassionate Conservatism, renewable energy investment, this is a wealthy country
and 'After six years in power we are actually strengthening our position in local government.'
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Apologies in advance for lowering the tone:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:Oh God !! Now the Standard have acknowledged Khan winning London, they're suggesting him for the job of Labour leader.
Yep, I know. It never seems to stop. Both have their own job, two different elections each won handily.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

RobertSnozers wrote:
Wes Streeting MP ‏@wesstreeting May 8

.@SadiqKhan bang on this morning: politics should be about positive ideas, need to stop talking about ourselves and build a big tent. #Marr
Wes Streeting MP ‏@wesstreeting 14m14 minutes ago

An important read about antisemitism and our responsibility to tackle it in New Statesman http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk ... est-hatred" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
:smack: :wall: :roll:
There's already a tent Wes you blert. Plenty of room for all the moderates. If they don't want to go on in then tick tock, the time is running out for a challenge before conference.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

The Barnet council chief executive has stood down after the voting chaos last week.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 20491.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Ah. I see that isn't even Kelvin's finest contribution for the day...

yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Not surprising that the Evening Standard may want Sadiq as Labour leader.
They can just repeat the help they gave the toxic Tory campaign again in 2020.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

The Chilcot inquiry is going to be published on my 37th wedding anniversary.
That's the 6th July for those who weren't at the wedding.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

NonOxCol wrote:Apologies in advance for lowering the tone:

Disgusting.