Tuesday, May 17th 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Tuesday, May 17th 2016

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday, May 17th 2016

Post by PorFavor »

From yesterday's Guardian (as you can tell, I'm right up to the minute on all the developments) -
Phone survey finds 10-point lead for remain but web poll puts leave ahead

Guardian ICM phone poll produces pro-EU result but those in favour of Brexit have four-point advantage in online equivalent (Guardian)
Now I'm more confused than ever re polls. I thought younger people (supposedly more pro-Remain) did the on-line stuff and older people (supposedly more pro-Leave) were the ones who were more highly represented in 'phone polls. And yet the opposite appears to be the case here.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... uts-leave-
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Morning.

Hope all goes well for your return home today Toby.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

PorFavor wrote:From yesterday's Guardian (as you can tell, I'm right up to the minute on all the developments) -
Phone survey finds 10-point lead for remain but web poll puts leave ahead

Guardian ICM phone poll produces pro-EU result but those in favour of Brexit have four-point advantage in online equivalent (Guardian)
Now I'm more confused than ever re polls. I thought younger people (supposedly more pro-Remain) did the on-line stuff and older people (supposedly more pro-Leave) were the ones who were more highly represented in 'phone polls. And yet the opposite appears to be the case here.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... uts-leave-
There was a Yougov chart on the G's politics blog yesterday that showed the crossover point from majority for remain to majority for leave at age 43, but I would have thought if that was true, if likelihood to vote was taken into account then leave should be well ahead, so I am finding all these polls hard to trust.

Besides, I'm 44 and one of the biggest international events of my youth was the fall of the Berlin wall and the re-unification of Germany. It was a very optimistic time for Europe and had a long lasting effect on me. I can't be the only person who remembers those times who sees the expansion of the EU post Soviet bloc era as a positive thing, surely?
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

I may have misinterpreted it, but someone on Radio 4 this morning seemed to say that if the turnout on June 23 was as high as a general election it would favour Brexit.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

I know the Telegraph tries to be a slightly posher Daily Mail these days, but the headline to Tom Harris' latest piece is just nonsense.

''David Cameron is going to steal all of Labour's voters and Jeremy Corbyn will never understand why''.

All: every one, every single one, fully, entirely, wholly, according to the dictionary.

Harris won't be responsible for the headline, but it almost makes you yearn for Dippy Hodges back.

EDITED - I'd accidentally put Corbyn's name instead of Cameron when typing the Telegraph headline.
Last edited by yahyah on Tue 17 May, 2016 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Spectacular bearded vulture spotted for first time in UK

Ornithologists hope for glimpse of species reported to have been seen in Wales and west country
(Guardian)
Anyone?

I hope it stays safe.

Edited to have another go at the link

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... st-time-uk
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

That link didn't work, try this one

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... st-time-uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

Two SNP MPs have left their wives after having affairs with the same English journalist, a woman who describes the SNP as the Mujahideen of British politics. Reading the headline I thought she was being facetious (cf the 'Turnip Taliban'), but she apparently meant it as a compliment. She studied Modern History at Oxford (just like Gidiot) - draw your own conclusions. :?
Serena Cowdy is said to have told friends that she saw SNP MPs as romantic revolutionaries, describing them as 'the Mujahideen of British politicians'.

A source said: 'This love triangle is a disgrace for Scottish politics – and gives weight to the rumours that some of the sudden mass of SNP MPs in London have been going on a big jolly.

'These two have behaved with all the decorum of a coach party in a Carry On film arriving at a pub.

'It's laughable that Serena boasts of her affairs with these MPs and says they're like a sexy Mujahideen. I doubt their wives think they are.'

When asked about her affairs with the politicians last night, Miss Cowdy said: 'No comment.'

The MPs and their now-estranged wives also declined to speak.

An SNP source confirmed the story but disputed a claim that love rivalry led to a row between Mr MacNeil and Mr Hosie.

Father of three Mr MacNeil, who previously worked as a BBC Scotland reporter and a teacher, represents the Western Isles. He rose to prominence in the Commons in 2006 by lodging a complaint with police over 'cash for peerages' allegations made against Labour.

Earlier this year he faced questions over his own probity when he had to repay hundreds of pounds in expenses after claiming more than £250 a night for hotel rooms, when the usual limit is £150.

....Mrs MacNeil had stayed with her husband after a previous embarrassment, when he was caught with two teenage girls in a hotel room in 2007 while she, then pregnant, was in hospital.

An acquaintance of Miss Cowdy's circle, who revealed the love triangle, told the Mail: 'Serena is from London and went to Oxford, but since starting work in Parliament has this thing about the SNP being like the Mujahideen.

'She was having an affair with Angus MacNeil during the Scottish independence referendum campaign – and boasted that when he was on TV talking about it, she's texted him and he'd looked at his phone. He used to take her to the Park Plaza hotel in Waterloo for the night. Now she's with Stewart Hosie and has been for some time and it's very serious.

'She's suggested for a while he's going to split from his wife and they're going to have a proper relationship in public. Now he really has separated we'll have to see. I heard things had been difficult between Stewart and Angus because they'd both had the same girlfriend – and that there have been cross words between them.

'Surely MPs are paid to represent their constituents – not gallivant round London having affairs with the same woman. It is even more wrong if that interferes with their working relationship.'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z48tfRIhH6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MacNeil sounds a right charmer :x
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

yahyah wrote:That link didn't work, try this one

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... st-time-uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My second (the edit) link works for me - but thanks for your rescue, anyway!
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

I'm sorry, I'm a red blooded as the next woman, but the idea of Stewart Hosie as a 'sexy Mujahideen'.
She has got to be joking.

Wonder how the Cybernats will magic away the suggestion that the 56, err...54...or however many they have this week, SNP MPs are not just troughing, partying & bonking at Westminster ?
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Wont be home 2day, dispute over who pays for care package, 40 pounds a day. Social service thought i would. I dont have that.
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

yahyah wrote:I'm sorry, I'm a red blooded as the next woman, but the idea of Stewart Hosie as a 'sexy Mujahideen'.
She has got to be joking.

Wonder how the Cybernats will magic away the suggestion that the 56, err...54...or however many they have this week, SNP MPs are not just troughing, partying & bonking at Westminster ?
Well, quite. He's not exactly Mel Gibson as Braveheart. He's got all the raw sex appeal of a slightly soggy digestive biscuit.

It still rankles with me the way the SNP lot treated Dennis Skinner. I know there's a truce now but the SNP were obnoxious in the way they tried to push him out.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

TobyLatimer wrote:Wont be home 2day, dispute over who pays for care package, 40 pounds a day. Social service thought i would. I dont have that.
Hello. I hope it gets sorted out. £40 a day is a lot to expect someone to find.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

TobyLatimer wrote:Wont be home 2day, dispute over who pays for care package, 40 pounds a day. Social service thought i would. I dont have that.
That's really crappy. Hope it gets sorted soon.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Also from yesterday -
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Well, that was fascinating and well worth waiting for, wasn't it? (Actually I assumed you'd have all read it and would know what I was on about . . . )

Anyway - from yesterday -
Pro-Brexit bosses include retirees and tax avoidance experts

Names on letter making case for leaving EU range from those offering offshore tax-planning and servicing super-rich, to heads of dormant business

One signatory is John Kersey, managing director of Preston hair salon Kersey Hairdressing, a business with net assets of £313. (Guardian)

Edited owing to links jinx. Fingers crossed . . .

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... ce-experts
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Sorry to hear that Toby.Hope your home soon.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Morning all.

Waves to all potential visitors pointed this way from AS blog by the latest incarnation of SpinningHugo and /or Rusty.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

PorFavor wrote:

Ornithologists hope for glimpse of species reported to have been seen in Wales and west country
(Guardian)
Anyone?

I hope it stays safe.

Morning. Has someone brought it over to hunt down Neil Hamilton?
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Well. (Hear Catherine Tate's Nan there).

Windows just installed Windows 10 on my PC without a by your leave. What a ........ liberty.

Fucking Cortana can go fuck right off. Need I say more?
Working on the wild side.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

27m ago 09:05

There is some terrible news for Jeremy Corbyn’s criticis[sic] within the Labour party today. A poll of party members carried out by YouGov for the Times (paywall) shows that he is more popular with ever, suggesting that any attempt to beat him in a new leadership would (so long as he insisted on standing) be doomed to dismal failure. (Politics Live, Guardian)
I hope that this shuts people up and that this doesn't augur more dirty works at the crossroads. I'm not a great fan of Jeremy Corbyn but, in the absence of someone I prefer and for the sake of Party unity and the sake of the country, let's just get on with it, shall we?

Edited to insert an apperstrofe.
Last edited by PorFavor on Tue 17 May, 2016 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Well. (Hear Catherine Tate's Nan there).

Windows just installed Windows 10 on my PC without a by your leave. What a ........ liberty.

If you want to watch DVDs on your PC you need to download the appropriate player from the Microsoft web site fairly quickly.
I didn't & had to download a 3rd party player
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Toby. Keep your spirits up - you shouldn't have to fight for what you need - really hope it gets sorted quickly.

Lots of hugs and best wishes.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1444953 ... -be-deeply" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Labour Press
Hundreds of Post Office workers will be deeply concerned by this news - Angela Eagle

Post Office to cut more than 500 jobs

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36309400" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by HindleA on Tue 17 May, 2016 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Never liked the word "package" to be honest,like an explosive device,from "me" to "you".
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Ex PO worker,package,job losses,thematic link,unintended.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Yes, this has been well signposted among tech types on the internet. They've been predicting since last year that optional Windows 10 rollouts would become automatic some time this year. The only way to not have Windows 10 will eventually be to not have Windows. It's either embrace 10 or learn to love Linux, I'm afraid. (And it is annoying, because Windows 7 was really good, like XP was, and deserved a much longer operating window for those who have no need for the latest versions of everything). Sorry. :(
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Willow904 wrote:

Yes, this has been well signposted among tech types on the internet. They've been predicting since last year that optional Windows 10 rollouts would become automatic some time this year. The only way to not have Windows 10 will eventually be to not have Windows. It's either embrace 10 or learn to love Linux, I'm afraid. (And it is annoying, because Windows 7 was really good, like XP was, and deserved a much longer operating window for those who have no need for the latest versions of everything). Sorry. :(
We had already decided as a household that we were going to go Mac when this happened. Windows 7 - which was what I had and the reason why I paid MORE for this laptop - was OK. I really don't want most of the gubbins that Microsoft decided to foist on me. And the PC is now much slower than before. Mr Riots' laptop is on such an old system they don't bother him anymore and it's a welcome relief - oh the irony.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Matt Chorley ‏@MattChorley 38m38 minutes ago
Corbyn is going nowhere. Shad cab min says Labour will be "absolutely annihilated" in 2020 http://bit.ly/27us8y4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's one shad cab min who shouldn't be one.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Been getting domestic cleaning through a care company , paid for by social services for ten years,
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

Morning all.
An interesting,if a bit overexcited imo,article in a blog called Sodium Haze.
Apologies if it has already been mentioned, 'How the Guardian bullies morality so it can bully you'.

Another dog dilemma today.
Charlie was improving on Friday,but not so great on Saturday.My ex husband had a look at him and said this time it definitely is not vestibular disease,but more likely to be a bleed.And that I should think about euthanasia by early this week.
Sunday came,Charlie was bright and much steadier on his feet.No vomiting for 2 days,continent and eating well.
Yesterday he was so poorly again.He could barely walk again,wouldn't eat or drink.Incontinent again.
So,I made up my mind that today was the day.
This morning he popped outside alone for a wee and has had 2 walks to the end of the road and back.It's the best he has been for 11 days.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I am dismayed! I cannot find words to express my disappointment. There is no suitable emoticon. My post is pathetically inadequate. I am sorry for this.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-morning, everyone
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

7m ago 10:10
EU referendum polling

Nigel Farage says, if Remain wins the EU referendum narrowly, he will push for a second vote. (See 9.40am.) (Politics Live, Guardian)
He'll keep going, unfortunately, whatever the margin. It'll be the "resignation" all over again. It's what he'll do if the "Out" side wins that intrigues me. They've already made it clear that he's "not wanted on voyage".

Edited to try and make some semblance of sense. And not a link in sight . . .
Last edited by PorFavor on Tue 17 May, 2016 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Labour express.
Labour Express!
LABOUR EXPREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESS!!

Ah, that's better.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Needless to say I can't find it now, and it's too late for you, but the Ask Jack column in the G had a very good article on whether or not to upgrade, with a link to a download that would stop it doing so automatically. I downloaded it and have been mercifully free from W10 notices since. Will look for it again later, must go out now.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Linux. It's not very elegant but I took to it fine. Of course, my work is largely academic, I read from my computer, I rarely watch anything. It's functional though, I can watch goings-on when I'm ready to subject myself to it. A year ago, the Linux flavour I used had issues with this.

I've got to reboot. There's been updates. Back in a moment.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Toby,have PM'd
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Re the phone/online poll dichotomy with Brexit.

There is some evidence that online polls overstate UKIP support, if so then the implications for referendum surveys should be fairly obvious.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

I got home last night to find my machine had scheduled an upgrade to Win10 without asking me.

Fortunately I managed to click the right buttons to cancel it, but apparently this is their latest tactic:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/window ... 31802.html

FU M$
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Hi! I'm back. I like using an operating system lots of people put together and maintain without demanding tallage. It's a cooperative.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:
27m ago 09:05

There is some terrible news for Jeremy Corbyn’s criticis[sic] within the Labour party today. A poll of party members carried out by YouGov for the Times (paywall) shows that he is more popular with ever, suggesting that any attempt to beat him in a new leadership would (so long as he insisted on standing) be doomed to dismal failure. (Politics Live, Guardian)
I hope that this shuts people up and that this doesn't augur more dirty works at the crossroads. I'm not a great fan of Jeremy Corbyn but, in the absence of someone I prefer and for the sake of Party unity and the sake of the country, let's just get on with it, shall we?

Edited to insert an apperstrofe.
Yes. Well said.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I think it's "dirty work at the crossroads" as distinct from "dirty works" . However, who cares? (Aside from me, very probably.)
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

RobertSnozers wrote:
yahyah wrote:I know the Telegraph tries to be a slightly posher Daily Mail these days, but the headline to Tom Harris' latest piece is just nonsense.

''Jeremy Corbyn is going to steal all of Labour's voters and Jeremy Corbyn will never understand why''.

All: every one, every single one, fully, entirely, wholly, according to the dictionary.

Harris won't be responsible for the headline, but it almost makes you yearn for Dippy Hodges back.
I think that's 'David Cameron is going to steal all of Labour's voters...' Btw

But in better news, I seem to have missed the memo that Dan Hodges is no longer writing for the Telegraph. That gave me a lift this morning.
Its no less absurd in the "corrected" version, tbh. Everybody who voted Labour last time will vote Tory in 2020? And this will be the work of somebody who isn't even going to be around then?? I wonder, is this Harris again deluding himself he speaks for *all* "ordinary Labour voters" (whatever they might be)?

And lets be honest, nobody would be surprised if he personally makes that decision would they.......
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

John Rentoul ‏@JohnRentoul 46m46 minutes ago
71% of Labour members say the party is divided; 62% blame "Labour MPs who oppose Corbyn"

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/c ... bers_W.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Oh Toby...I bet you're fuming and you must be disappointed, but don't let it set your health back. Stay strong.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

PorFavor wrote:

(Guardian)
Anyone?

I hope it stays safe.

Perhaps it followed those swifts ;-)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

(Guardian)
Anyone?

I hope it stays safe.

Perhaps it followed those swifts ;-)

Yes - I thought that when I spotted them (oh, so long ago now!) that they had the air of trailblazers about them . . . .
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

ohsocynical wrote:John Rentoul ‏@JohnRentoul 46m46 minutes ago
71% of Labour members say the party is divided; 62% blame "Labour MPs who oppose Corbyn"

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/c ... bers_W.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And are they wrong?

What I can't get over is how *stupid* most of Corbyn's internal opponents have been......