Tuesday, May 17th 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday, May 17th 2016

Post by HindleA »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36309400" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Public need to know what happened at Orgreave, says ex-aide
Article by former chief of staff indicates Theresa May likely to order inquiry into police action at 1984 miners’ strike soon
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... m-contract" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The NHS trust that said no to Osborne’s nightmare cuts
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Rebecca wrote:Morning all.
An interesting,if a bit overexcited imo,article in a blog called Sodium Haze.
Apologies if it has already been mentioned, 'How the Guardian bullies morality so it can bully you'.

Another dog dilemma today.
Charlie was improving on Friday,but not so great on Saturday.My ex husband had a look at him and said this time it definitely is not vestibular disease,but more likely to be a bleed.And that I should think about euthanasia by early this week.
Sunday came,Charlie was bright and much steadier on his feet.No vomiting for 2 days,continent and eating well.
Yesterday he was so poorly again.He could barely walk again,wouldn't eat or drink.Incontinent again.
So,I made up my mind that today was the day.
This morning he popped outside alone for a wee and has had 2 walks to the end of the road and back.It's the best he has been for 11 days.

I'm afraid that's what they do. If you can cope with his bad days carry on. All you can do is watch his eyes. One day you'll see by them that he's had enough. Best I can describe it, is a distant look. Not registering. That's when it's time. You have to go by your instinct.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Fourth myth, fifth myth, sixth myth - and he [David Cameron] hopes that bythnythes will speak out. (Sorry - but it's (not quite as I've reported it here) over at Politics Live, Guardian and I've indulged in a fit of whimsy.)

And I know I'm being a bit previous - but may I wish you all a Merry Fifthmyth.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016 ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The government is skewing benefits appeals against disabled people
Frances Ryan
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

ohsocynical wrote:
Apologies if it has already been mentioned, 'How the Guardian bullies morality so it can bully you'.

Charlie was improving on Friday,but not so great on Saturday.My ex husband had a look at him and said this time it definitely is not vestibular disease,but more likely to be a bleed.And that I should think about euthanasia by early this week.
Sunday came,Charlie was bright and much steadier on his feet.No vomiting for 2 days,continent and eating well.
Yesterday he was so poorly again.He could barely walk again,wouldn't eat or drink.Incontinent again.
This morning he popped outside alone for a wee and has had 2 walks to the end of the road and back.It's the best he has been for 11 days.

I'm afraid that's what they do. If you can cope with his bad days carry on. All you can do is watch his eyes. One day you'll see by them that he's had enough. Best I can describe it, is a distant look. Not registering. That's when it's time. You have to go by your instinct.
The trouble is,that was yesterday evening.I had made up my mind to call the vet out this morning.Then I got up,sort of expecting to find him dead,and he was up and about again.
Pets.They just become part of the family.
Anyway,more importantly,how is Mr Ohso?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:John Rentoul ‏@JohnRentoul 46m46 minutes ago
71% of Labour members say the party is divided; 62% blame "Labour MPs who oppose Corbyn"

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/c ... bers_W.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And are they wrong?

What I can't get over is how *stupid* most of Corbyn's internal opponents have been......
It's gone past stupid. What do they think will happen if they have a leadership struggle? Even Khan is having a swipe at him. He's being reminded on Twitter, that if it wasn't for the Labour 'Corbyn' supporters he'd have had a far harder fight to get in. And he might have to ask very nicely for their help the next time he's up for re-election.

The term 'Corbyn supporter', is now being used as an insult, yet there are thousands of Lab. members who didn't vote for him, but respect that he was democratically elected and are working their guts out to fight the Tories.

Do the right honestly believe that's going to win them support?
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

GetYou wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:Well. (Hear Catherine Tate's Nan there).

Windows just installed Windows 10 on my PC without a by your leave. What a ........ liberty.

Fucking Cortana can go fuck right off. Need I say more?
I got home last night to find my machine had scheduled an upgrade to Win10 without asking me.

Fortunately I managed to click the right buttons to cancel it, but apparently this is their latest tactic:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/window ... 31802.html

FU M$
Here's the download - NEVER10
https://www.grc.com/never10.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Rebecca wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

The trouble is,that was yesterday evening.I had made up my mind to call the vet out this morning.Then I got up,sort of expecting to find him dead,and he was up and about again.
My son was in the same quandary with his Staffie. Better days, and bad days. I told them to do the same. Suddenly you know.

Mr Ohso's just had his fifth day of radiology. Luckily the side affects from it are minimal as the equipment becomes more sophisticated. Tiredness is the main bugbear, but even that varies from person to person.
He's having six weeks treatment rather than four. It's been a swine getting into Reading every day, as the equipment at Bracknell was having its yearly overhaul. Thankfully, tomorrow, we'll be literally 10 mins drive from the cancer centre here. It'll make things far easier.
All we can do is hope it works.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

"Officers from the Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire Major Crime Unit are conducting inquiries, both locally and across the county boarders," a police spokesman said. (BBC News website - my emphasis)
Common as muck, the BBC. Paying guests or PGs, surely?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Thanks Rob, my mixing up Corbyn & Cameron made nonsense of it, will edit it now.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

yahyah wrote:Thanks Rob, my mixing up Corbyn & Cameron made nonsense of it, will edit it now.

Well, in my seemingly semi-permanent state of befuddlement, I knew what you meant!

(Small consolation, I realise.)
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

My husband had a huge update on his desktop Lenovo last night.
He hasn't logged on again yet, hope he hasn't been Windows 10'd as well.

I still don't like 10, haven't been able to get the email to work, I can't cut & paste anything other website addresses if I use any browser other than Microsoft's the Edge which I don't want to.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

ohsocynical wrote:
Rebecca wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
My son was in the same quandary with his Staffie. Better days, and bad days. I told them to do the same. Suddenly you know.

Mr Ohso's just had his fifth day of radiology. Luckily the side affects from it are minimal as the equipment becomes more sophisticated. Tiredness is the main bugbear, but even that varies from person to person.
He's having six weeks treatment rather than four. It's been a swine getting into Reading every day, as the equipment at Bracknell was having its yearly overhaul. Thankfully, tomorrow, we'll be literally 10 mins drive from the cancer centre here. It'll make things far easier.
All we can do is hope it works.
You are so brave and cheerful.I'm glad you won't be battling your way into Reading every day,that would be exhausting in itself!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

yahyah wrote:My husband had a huge update on his desktop Lenovo last night.
You want to have a quiet word with that cat . . .
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

I say PF, you are good form today. :lol: What did you put in your tea this morning ?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:
You want to have a quiet word with that cat . . .
:lol: :lol: :lol:
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Over 50,000 on the Save BBC Recipes Online petition.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Wales update.

Plaid & Labour AMs met separately to discuss the outcome of the talks held by the parties' negotiators.
A joint statement is expected this afternoon, it isn't known how detailed it will be.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/polit ... d-11343810" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

I still don't like 10, haven't been able to get the email to work, I can't cut & paste anything other website addresses if I use any browser other than Microsoft's the Edge which I don't want to.
Which browser do you use? Have you made sure the browser of your choice is the latest version? I use Firefox on Windows 10 and have no cut and paste issues, so I'm sure your problem is fixable if you can work out where the compatibility glitch is. I sympathise with your not liking Edge, even my son refuses to use it, preferring Chrome.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Plaid have finished their meeting with their AMs.

No news, apart from an ambiguous comment of 'happy days' from Plaid's Dai Lloyd.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:John Rentoul ‏@JohnRentoul 46m46 minutes ago
71% of Labour members say the party is divided; 62% blame "Labour MPs who oppose Corbyn"

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/c ... bers_W.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And are they wrong?

What I can't get over is how *stupid* most of Corbyn's internal opponents have been......
It's gone past stupid. What do they think will happen if they have a leadership struggle? Even Khan is having a swipe at him. He's being reminded on Twitter, that if it wasn't for the Labour 'Corbyn' supporters he'd have had a far harder fight to get in. And he might have to ask very nicely for their help the next time he's up for re-election.

The term 'Corbyn supporter', is now being used as an insult, yet there are thousands of Lab. members who didn't vote for him, but respect that he was democratically elected and are working their guts out to fight the Tories.

Do the right honestly believe that's going to win them support?
It suits people who don't want a Labour government to undermine the fact Labour is the biggest political party in the UK and
currently enjoys a popularly elected Labour party leader. Those who didn't vote for him like him well enough. Genuineness
is compelling, attractive. I think too much is made of every sentence uttered uncomplimentary of Corbyn - I don't mean
anyone here does that - it's bigger than that.

Who benefits from sowing discord among Labour party members and leadership?

Labour is a good party, historically great. Maybe some join or lead in various capacities cynically - using the Labour party name
to get elected, supported and listened to. I don't know, I don't have anyone in particular in mind. What in the world could the
party do to positively deal with that, if it exists? Genuine question. People joining in order to undermine Labour? Have some
rules, don't engage them. Ride it out. It all comes out in the wash. Sincerity and integrity ultimately can't be faked. Meanwhile,
many/most Labour party members and leaders like the party, it's values. Know media won't likely report anything but negativity
about Labour people so, let it go.

Labour aren't in government at the moment. I forgive anyone who mistakenly thinks they are. Given the amount of scrutiny,
criticism and discord cultivated by people uninterested in Labour, I can hardly blame them. Meanwhile, Tory leadership,
wow, what's a government gotta do to get thrown out?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

yahyah wrote:Over 50,000 on the Save BBC Recipes Online petition.
Good! One of the best things about the BBC are the recipes.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

The Welsh Assembly is meeting at 1.30pm tomorrow, to vote again for a First Minister.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

The joint statement from Plaid & Labour just released
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

It'll be a Labour minority administration, unsurprisingly.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

On this topic.........

Remember that risible Jonathan Jones piece last week?

It has now been deleted from the Graun archives (a rare event) as the paper admits its central premise (CJ was crying over Labour's inexorable doom) was a pack of lies.

(as pointed out at the time, he has a medical condition and was not crying at all, let alone for that reason)

Wow :twisted:
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Willow904 wrote:

Which browser do you use? Have you made sure the browser of your choice is the latest version? I use Firefox on Windows 10 and have no cut and paste issues, so I'm sure your problem is fixable if you can work out where the compatibility glitch is. I sympathise with your not liking Edge, even my son refuses to use it, preferring Chrome.
There is a compatability hitch if you use Chrome. I can't move images or text. There doesn't seem to be a fix for it either. It's damn irritating because I prefer chrome.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:On this topic.........

It has now been deleted from the Graun archives (a rare event) as the paper admits its central premise (CJ was crying over Labour's inexorable doom) was a pack of lies.

(as pointed out at the time, he has a medical condition and was not crying at all, let alone for that reason)

Apology piece due any time soon....
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

The headline & pic served its purpose though. To portray Carwyn as a weak and selfish man, and to imply that Labour is in the **** in Wales.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Maria Eagle MP, Labour’s Shadow Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, responding to the news that the BBC
will be forced to close the recipes section of its website

This is another example of the mindless destruction caused by the Secretary of State’s obsession with diminishing the BBC.
These recipes are a fantastic resource for thousands of people, which they have already paid for through the licence fee.
Labour will continue to stand up for the licence fee payer and will fight any further Government attacks on the BBC’s
independence.

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1444973 ... ion-caused" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The savings promised by dropping online recipes? Included in the sum below - cutting other content and local news.
The information they're axing to save a relatively small sum (where does that number comes from?) is worth more.
This isn't to save money, it's to dismantle the BBC.
Approximately 11,000 online recipes are to be dropped following a review of the BBC’s online output that promises to save
£15m a year by cutting back on magazine-style content as well as local news.

In an announcement due to be made to staff on Tuesday, the BBC will promise a more “focused and distinctive service”
with a number of well-known services either closed or scaled down over the next 12 months.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/m ... d-down-bbc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Let’s be clear. The Tories are the main enemy of working people in this country. Not the EU – the Tories. And that is why
I am opposed to a Tory Brexit. Let’s be under no illusion that leaving the EU under a Tory government is what is on offer
in the immediate aftermath of a leave vote on the 23rd June.

- Labour’s Shadow Chancellor, John McDonnell
speech today at the TUC

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1444972 ... donnell-mp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by citizenJA on Tue 17 May, 2016 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

What works where? Local Labour politicians tell how they won and lost key councils

http://labourlist.org/2016/05/what-work ... -councils/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:On this topic.........

Why do they let that bloke write about politics - he's bloody awful? Since when did someone who is supposed to be an arts critic / journalist (and I use that word 'supposed' very deliberately) become the go to for political opinion pieces?
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

The deal is not quite the end for Ukip, whose assembly group is now led by former Tory MP Neil Hamilton. It is expected to also put forward a candidate for first minister – though with seven members it cannot win.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... embly-deal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oh I wonder who Ukip's candidate for first minister will be? Hamilton of course - lickin his lips at the extra attention and money.

@Ohso - I'm using Chrome and have just copied and pasted off the G website - text and URL - in this dastardly imposed Windows 10. So maybe you do need to update your version of Chrome ...?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
The deal is not quite the end for Ukip, whose assembly group is now led by former Tory MP Neil Hamilton. It is expected to also put forward a candidate for first minister – though with seven members it cannot win.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... embly-deal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oh I wonder who Ukip's candidate for first minister will be? Hamilton of course - lickin his lips at the extra attention and money.

@Ohso - I'm using Chrome and have just copied and pasted off the G website - text and URL - in this dastardly imposed Windows 10. So maybe you do need to update your version of Chrome ...?
I can cut and paste text and urls but 'Save Image As' won't work. I can't save images, move images off Twitter onto here, or from here onto Twitter. Can't move any of my personal photos anywhere including here, and I can't move or properly save any text I write. I don't use MSworks. I use Open Office. A lot of people are having the same problem. If I try to save an image, it just shuts everything down and goes back to desktop...

I tried going back to IE or is it Edge now? but don't like it for Twitter. It won't load properly and is incredibly slow. I've tried Firefox and wasn't impressed. I can't be arsed to keep changing from one to the other. My patience, never very good is almost non-existent these days. I keep searching the internet to see if anyone has come up with a fix. Google know about the problem, but don't seem to be bothered.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I like Google Chrome for finding and checking back on old news items. I use it quite a lot.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

More on that poll, with a snippet from Mandelson.

http://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/c ... ers/17/05/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Osborne 13 years ago.jpg
Osborne 13 years ago.jpg (65.13 KiB) Viewed 5441 times
Nice little reminder. Turncoat.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Briefcase Michael ‏@BriefcaseMike 5h5 hours ago
Now BBC say #bbcrecipes will stay but they'll make it harder to find them!
Could they make it harder to see Laura Kuenssberg instead?
I'm sorry - I know that's a bit gratuitously mean. But enjoying Briefcase Michael's tweets is one of my guilty pleasures.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

BBC Cake Time.jpg
BBC Cake Time.jpg (38.08 KiB) Viewed 5430 times
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Thanks Willow. My husband's going to have look at my laptop, so will ask him to check for the latest version of Chrome.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PoliticsHome Memo - Tuesday 17 May

Here's your essential guide to what's happening on Tuesday 17 May.

NEVERENDUM II
https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/po ... day-17-may" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Who on earth thought Mandelson was going to be a winning personality to take centre stage in the EU ref debates? (Other than Mandelson himself obv).
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Am just completing an extensive EU referendum and opinion about political parties poll for YouGov.
In the middle of the political questions it has asked whether you would accept various levels of guaranteed payment [£80 to £120] or risk various odds to get/not get £300.

Anyone got any idea what YouGov are trying to find out with that, in reference to the EU vote ?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

yahyah wrote:Am just completing an extensive EU referendum and opinion about political parties poll for YouGov.
In the middle of the political questions it has asked whether you would accept various levels of guaranteed payment [£80 to £120] or risk various odds to get/not get £300.

Anyone got any idea what YouGov are trying to find out with that, in reference to the EU vote ?

I'm guessing that accepting £80 to £120 indicates a preference for "In" and the get\not get £300 is an "Out" inclination. That's all I can come up with. "In" being the known and the other, more risky one being "Out".
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:
yahyah wrote:Am just completing an extensive EU referendum and opinion about political parties poll for YouGov.

I'm guessing that accepting £80 to £120 indicates a preference for "In" and the get\not get £300 is an "Out" inclination. That's all I can come up with. "In" being the known and the other, more risky one being "Out".
Crumbs. If that's what they intend, it's a bit hit and miss. I haven't a clue about odds and betting. Never gambled or placed a bet in my life. For safety's sake, I'd always settle for guaranteed payment.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

They'd already asked if you were a person who took risks.

I just wonder if it will be used to skew one or other of the campaigns.
It paid 150 points, a lot for a YouGov poll. Who's more likely to be splashing the cash ? Leave or Remain ?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Justice for Health
Update from Justice for Health #JustHealth.

Update on NHS Judicial Review
Dear Valued Donor,

Last week we sent a letter to the SOS asking him to confirm his position and if necessary, to admit that he has no power to impose the contract.

We have sent him a series of questions to get further and better understanding of his position.

This is our last attempt to seek a clear statement from Mr Hunt, before we go to court. If he refuses we can ask the court to determine the issue, after we've attempted everything possible to reach a settlement.

You can read this letter in full by visiting our website: http://www.justiceforhealth.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank you for your ongoing support.

Nadia, Fran, Ben, Amar & Mari
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Psychological profiling question
How you answer that question gives YouGov information they think will tell them something they want to know.
I'm not being negative, it's not nefarious in and of itself.
They'll use your answers to extrapolate something from it.