Saturday 21st & Sunday 22nd May 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Saturday 21st & Sunday 22nd May 2016

Post by StephenDolan »

Morning all.

A meaty Corbyn speech. Plenty to chew over. Let's see what the political commentators reference from it (or even reference that it took place!)

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolic ... s-of-hope/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 21st & Sunday 22nd May 2016

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Morning all.

Loved the late night explanation of what will Ukippers think will happen if we vote to leave the EU and, alternatively, should we vote to Remain. I'd better tell Mr Riots to start building our barricades here - sounds as though we're going to need them against the frothers of all sides. We'll either be routed as supposed Cultural Marxists - or need to be defending ourselves from those same heinous Cultural Marxists that are lurking around every corner. No doubt they'll start with storming the Senedd here in Wales.

@citizenja
You have my deepest sympathies for having family like that.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

StephenDolan wrote:Morning all.

A meaty Corbyn speech. Plenty to chew over. Let's see what the political commentators reference from it (or even reference that it took place!)

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolic ... s-of-hope/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Some good stuff in there.

Nice to hear him say he values the counsel of Ed Miliband. And his premise that people have fundamentally lost faith in the ability of politicians to change anything and that is what needs to be restored seems sound.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Kevin Maguire ‏@Kevin_Maguire 1h1 hour ago
Con-dominated Leave campaign going straight bananas about Osborne now know how many felt about Tory election lies. Which they cheered
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Oborne nails it again.
Peter Oborne ‏@OborneTweets 13m13 minutes ago
In light of BHS, Sir Ph Green must give parliament a crystal clear update on group pension arrangements for Arcadia:
PETER OBORNE: I fear this could be one of the greatest scandals of recent times
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... z49HBo6NUG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Bite the Ballot gets Tory call to help boost EU referendum turnout
Movement that seeks to increase number of young voters is wooed by No 10, a year after being shunned

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... um-turnout" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

Morning, folks
I followed the link to Obornes (good) article above, and stumbled on this headline, which must be the Mailiest of all time. I assume they've outsourced subbing to the Daily Mash.
Proof Britain has lost its marbles: One-legged Albanian murderer who posed as a Kosovan refugee to get UK citizenship and got a four-bed house and £2k-a-month benefits while dealing cocaine wins legal aid to fight to stay here
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Chris Mason ‏@ChrisMasonBBC 3m3 minutes ago
Former Chief Executive of the NHS in England tells @BBCr4today the government "got it wrong" over the junior doctors dispute.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Ian Birrell
‏@ianbirrell
Interesting: @OborneTweets sees Jeremy Hunt as serious runner in Tory leadership stakes (as I suggested 2 years ago)
I wouldn't go wetting yourself over that prospect just yet Mr Birrell. I think Hunt may have alienated a lot of what would have been natural potential Tory voters and their parents and kin with his actions over the junior doctors contract. He's also - IMO - charmless.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

A LEAKED email seen by the News suggests the Conservative leadership of Wokingham Borough Council considered using council money to give their candidates a helping hand in this month's local elections.

http://www.bracknellnews.co.uk/news/145 ... elections/
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Always read the Tory small print!

https://makingworkerspay.wordpress.com/ ... all-print/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

Nice to hear him say he values the counsel of Ed Miliband
That will just make the bitterites detest both of them even more ;)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

ohsocynical wrote:Always read the Tory small print!

https://makingworkerspay.wordpress.com/ ... all-print/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Small print not yet understood:

https://johnnyvoid.wordpress.com/2016/0 ... nderstood/
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

All very churned up in the Riots household this morning. Got an urgent request for loads of paperwork and evidence of ID etc to be finalised and sent to the animal couriers that are going to be bringing our new dog to us. They leave on Monday for Greece ... and will pick her up on the 29th May to bring her on the long journey overland to us in the UK. Exciting but stressful. All these documents that have to be exactly right ... precise timings of vaccinations and parasite treatments and so on. And the worry that an already nervous dog (yes, what are we thinking of) will be OK - manage - with strangers and lots of unknown things happening to her for a week or so.

Still - the outcome has to be better than sharing a tiny Athens apartment with seven other dogs and assorted cats and no outside space. And we've sorted the paperwork in record time.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Instigator of anti-Semitism scam kicked out of Labour.

In an email obtained by The Electronic Intifada, Klemperer was described by a top Labour manager as one of “two who instigated the anti-Semitism row” at Oxford University Labour Club.
The second named in the email is Alex Chalmers, the former Israel lobby intern whose resignation as club co-chair in February kicked off the whole scandal.

http://voxpoliticalonline.com/2016/05/2 ... -intifada/
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:All very churned up in the Riots household this morning. Got an urgent request for loads of paperwork and evidence of ID etc to be finalised and sent to the animal couriers that are going to be bringing our new dog to us. They leave on Monday for Greece ... and will pick her up on the 29th May to bring her on the long journey overland to us in the UK. Exciting but stressful. All these documents that have to be exactly right ... precise timings of vaccinations and parasite treatments and so on. And the worry that an already nervous dog (yes, what are we thinking of) will be OK - manage - with strangers and lots of unknown things happening to her for a week or so.

Still - the outcome has to be better than sharing a tiny Athens apartment with seven other dogs and assorted cats and no outside space. And we've sorted the paperwork in record time.
You'll be experts at it soon. :D

How is the dog who was in pain two weekends ago? I meant to ask and then forgot...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Instigator of anti-Semitism scam kicked out of Labour | The Electronic Intifada
http://voxpoliticalonline.com/2016/05/2 ... -intifada/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not sure I quite understand what's gone on here. But it doesn't sound good. His expulsion (unless he appeals it soon) appears to have been prompted / invoked on him having allegedly nominated Lib Dem candidates to be councillors.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:All very churned up in the Riots household this morning. Got an urgent request for loads of paperwork and evidence of ID etc to be finalised and sent to the animal couriers that are going to be bringing our new dog to us. They leave on Monday for Greece ... and will pick her up on the 29th May to bring her on the long journey overland to us in the UK. Exciting but stressful. All these documents that have to be exactly right ... precise timings of vaccinations and parasite treatments and so on. And the worry that an already nervous dog (yes, what are we thinking of) will be OK - manage - with strangers and lots of unknown things happening to her for a week or so.

How is the dog who was in pain two weekends ago? I meant to ask and then forgot...
Not good. We're just hoping this is a bad phase - like she had before - and that she'll come out of it and get a better quality of life again. She's having acupuncture on Monday. We're resigned to this being a long term chronic condition with ups and downs - and we'll just have to manage it as best we can for her. It's horrid seeing animals in pain.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Instigator of anti-Semitism scam kicked out of Labour | The Electronic Intifada
http://voxpoliticalonline.com/2016/05/2 ... -intifada/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not sure I quite understand what's gone on here. But it doesn't sound good. His expulsion (unless he appeals it soon) appears to have been prompted / invoked on him having allegedly nominated Lib Dem candidates to be councillors.
I always thought just *nominating* non-Labour people (in seats with a Labour candidate) wasn't an expellable offence in itself - though it is "officially discouraged".

(whilst standing against an official Labour candidate, or publicly supporting another party, are automatic grounds for exclusion)

One expects there are other things to be also taken into consideration here.......
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Just heard the Co-op in Cardigan is closing. My those boom times are so apparent in this area.

Mr Riots says our neighbour told him he thinks Budgens are going to move in there. Not thrilled by that as a possible replacement either.

In the space of just over a year we've had the new Sainsburys pulled - leaving a virtually redundant new bypass road behind - followed by B&Q closing down last month - and now the Co-op.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

My sister is disabled and the only store she can get to with her wheeled walker, is a Budgeons...She says they're bloody expensive.
Last edited by ohsocynical on Sat 21 May, 2016 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Just heard the Co-op in Cardigan is closing. My those boom times are so apparent in this area.

Mr Riots says our neighbour told him he thinks Budgens are going to move in there. Not thrilled by that as a possible replacement either.

In the space of just over a year we've had the new Sainsburys pulled - leaving a virtually redundant new bypass road behind - followed by B&Q closing down last month - and now the Co-op.
That's a bit of a bogger, would have thought people in Cardigan supported the Co-Op's ethos.

But they have been very expensive in the past. We started going to Sainsburys, but have been attracted back to the Co-Op by their prices dropping a bit, and their much better range of things like purple sprouting broccoli & cavolo nero. The loud X Factor type music they play is intensely irritating though.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

ohsocynical wrote:My sister is disabled and the only store she can get to with her wheeled walker, is a Budgeons...She says they're bloody expensive.

Do you have CostCutters near you ? There are a few very small ones here in little towns.
They ought to done under the Trade Description Act [if such a thing exists after 6 years of Tory misrule].
Their prices are astronomical, a good 25% up on everyone else.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

Not good. We're just hoping this is a bad phase - like she had before - and that she'll come out of it and get a better quality of life again. She's having acupuncture on Monday. We're resigned to this being a long term chronic condition with ups and downs - and we'll just have to manage it as best we can for her. It's horrid seeing animals in pain.
All you can do is give them lots of love. When my Sheba was in pain I used to talk to her about all the things she enjoyed as a distraction. Frogging in our pond and crabbing at the seaside. She used to put her head right under the water and look around. Digging holes at the bottom of the garden. Burying her Bonios and any scraps she'd picked up, in my flowerpots.
She understood every word I said. She'd lay there and wag her tail and her eyes would gleam especially if you mentioned cats. She didn't mind ours, but anyone elses were fair game.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

There was mention of Lib Dems and printing invoices on last night's thread.

The Libs are famed for their 'printing societies' set ups:

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2013/07/l ... explained/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2013/07/h ... rats-have/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

yahyah wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:My sister is disabled and the only store she can get to with her wheeled walker, is a Budgeons...She says they're bloody expensive.

Do you have CostCutters near you ? There are a few very small ones here in little towns.
They ought to done under the Trade Description Act [if such a thing exists after 6 years of Tory misrule].
Their prices are astronomical, a good 25% up on everyone else.
No. We are fine because we have an Aldi right across the road, so I can get there with my big shopping trolley if need be/

Sis though is in Reading in sheltered accommodation. There is just a regular parade of smaller shops. Budgeons weren't too bad price wise a few years ago, but then they tarted the stores up. Lovely to look at but put up their prices. She sometimes runs out of something and has to shop there but otherwise has Tesco deliver most of her shopping. Even paying for a delivery works out cheaper than buying the same amount at Budgeons. She hates having to get her food from Tesco, but needs must.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

Nice to hear him say he values the counsel of Ed Miliband. And his premise that people have fundamentally lost faith in the ability of politicians to change anything and that is what needs to be restored seems sound.
Afternoon all.
Any politician who quotes George Carlin gets my vote.
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

yahyah wrote:The loud X Factor type music they play is intensely irritating though
Yep, they do that at ours too :twisted:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

JeremyCorbyn4PM ‏@JeremyCorbyn4PM 2h2 hours ago

"I want to surpass even the Attlee government for radical reform." @johnmcdonnellMP #LabEcon16
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

The special conference of Welsh Lib Dems ends at 2pm.
We should hear then whether they've voted for Kirsty Williams to accept Welsh Labour's offer of her to take the education minister job.

Would be surprised if it isn't yes. Mark Williams, their new Welsh Leader, and Tim Farron are positive about it.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

yahyah wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:Just heard the Co-op in Cardigan is closing. My those boom times are so apparent in this area.

That's a bit of a bogger, would have thought people in Cardigan supported the Co-Op's ethos.

But they have been very expensive in the past. We started going to Sainsburys, but have been attracted back to the Co-Op by their prices dropping a bit, and their much better range of things like purple sprouting broccoli & cavolo nero. The loud X Factor type music they play is intensely irritating though.
Won't shop anywhere that has music playing.

I am totally unmusical. It drives me dotty. They can have the biggest bargains under the sun but it won't get me over the threshold.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

A rumour swept the social mediasphere late last night that Simon Danczuk had resigned his seat.

It turned out to be false, but there has been a notable uptick in (unflattering) stories about him in the tabloids recently. One to keep an eye on.......
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

Afternoon all.
RR2,wondering how you got into the chien sans frontiere thing.
Most people would just go to the local rspca/dog rescue kennel.I had never heard of re-homing animals from overseas,and it all sounds terribly complicated.
Or maybe I'm being dim and it's quite a common thing?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

yahyah wrote:

I think you must have a very different kind of Co-op from ours. A couple of years back I was told that celery - yes, *celery* - was an exotic and unusual vegetable when I asked why it had disappeared from their shelves - along with quite a lot of other items. The manager told me they weren't going to stock it anymore because there was no call for it. A few weeks later it was back. But not before I and, I imagine, quite a few others had thought F this I'll go somewhere else then.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Rebecca wrote:

Afternoon all.
Most people would just go to the local rspca/dog rescue kennel.I had never heard of re-homing animals from overseas,and it all sounds terribly complicated.
A pointer called Musica. Much missed. And yes, it's increasingly common.

Editing to say - no, I didn't mean that yes to imply you were being dim. You are not dim - very definitely not dim.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Rebecca wrote:

Afternoon all.
Is there an organisation that helps you sort out all the paperwork etc?Or are people hooking up online?It's very interesting.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

How's Charlie today Rebecca ?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Isn't it weird. We know the Tories are a formidable fighting machine, can drop their differences and work together when it comes to winning elections. Except for the EU. It must be their Achilles heel.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Rebecca wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Rebecca wrote: Afternoon all.
Is there an organisation that helps you sort out all the paperwork etc?Or are people hooking up online?It's very interesting.
Yes we sort things out with various organisations that know what to do re rescuing and rehoming dogs. This time we've taken the lead though as the Pointer Rescue Society haven't got so much experience with Greece. We've discovered Greece appears to have it's own unique way of handling things - which doesn't surprise either of us! And people are hooked up online sorting out foster carers, adopters, organising home checks, liaising with the transport and overseas shelters and rescues etc.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Birkenhead MP's review finds families hit by bedroom tax forced to use candles to light their homes
http://www.wirralglobe.co.uk/news/14508 ... ref=twtrec" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A REPORT commissioned by Birkenhead MP Frank Field shows almost half the families in Merseyside who have been hit by the bedroom tax have cut back on food and utilities in an attempt to pay their rent.

Some have been forced to use candles to light their homes while others were left with no money for fuel or children’s clothes.

These are some of the preliminary findings published by the Liverpool City Region Child Poverty and Life Chances Commission, chaired by Mr Field.

The Commission gathered evidence from more than 100 households – predominantly families with children – belonging to 11 different housing associations, who have been affected by the tax.

Others questioned told the Commission they only had the heating on for an hour a day - when their children came home from school - and could no longer afford new children’s clothes...
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Apart from anything else, candles are a fire risk. Particularly with children around.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
yahyah wrote:

I think you must have a very different kind of Co-op from ours. A couple of years back I was told that celery - yes, *celery* - was an exotic and unusual vegetable when I asked why it had disappeared from their shelves - along with quite a lot of other items. The manager told me they weren't going to stock it anymore because there was no call for it. A few weeks later it was back. But not before I and, I imagine, quite a few others had thought F this I'll go somewhere else then.
There are still a few independent Co-ops around, although nowhere near as many as there were. Our local Co-op is part of the Radstock Co-operative Society. We get treated to the widest range of 80s and 90s music you can imagine, but no purple sprouting broccoli I'm afraid, though I'm sure they would if people asked for it and they could find a local supplier. They do surveys from time to time to ask customers what sort of things they want, leading to things such as a low price shoes concession and quality locally sourced meat (from the same local wholesaler that supplies the nearby farm shop). They own their own dairy farm, several convenience stores and one superstore and I recently became a member for the princely sum of 2 pounds. They have their own dividend scheme as well. So, in short, if not all Co-ops appear the same, sometimes it's because they're not, although they all stock Co-op own brands and offer all the deals advertised nationally.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

yahyah wrote:How's Charlie today Rebecca ?
He wanted to come out with Trix this morning.Was jumping up and down by the door,so I let him come to the fields.He cantered around for 30 minutes,something I thought I would never see again!The most he has managed in 2 weeks is walking once round the block.
So.touching wood,very well.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I wonder how Toby is getting on...Hope Social Services are getting their finger out so that he can go home.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Rebecca wrote:
yahyah wrote:How's Charlie today Rebecca ?
He wanted to come out with Trix this morning.Was jumping up and down by the door,so I let him come to the fields.He cantered around for 30 minutes,something I thought I would never see again!The most he has managed in 2 weeks is walking once round the block.
So.touching wood,very well.
That is lovely to hear.... :D
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I'm supposed to be in the greenhouse planting up cucumbers (now now titter ye not).

But a small black cat has insisted on having a cuddle up on my lap - purring away like a motor. Haven't got the heart to dislodge her.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

It's the day for the greenhouse, very wet, and after heavy rain last night. Everything is dripping outside.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Willow904 wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
yahyah wrote: That's a bit of a bogger, would have thought people in Cardigan supported the Co-Op's ethos.

There are still a few independent Co-ops around, although nowhere near as many as there were. Our local Co-op is part of the Radstock Co-operative Society. We get treated to the widest range of 80s and 90s music you can imagine, but no purple sprouting broccoli I'm afraid, though I'm sure they would if people asked for it and they could find a local supplier. They do surveys from time to time to ask customers what sort of things they want, leading to things such as a low price shoes concession and quality locally sourced meat (from the same local wholesaler that supplies the nearby farm shop). They own their own dairy farm, several convenience stores and one superstore and I recently became a member for the princely sum of 2 pounds. They have their own dividend scheme as well. So, in short, if not all Co-ops appear the same, sometimes it's because they're not, although they all stock Co-op own brands and offer all the deals advertised nationally.
We have just the one Co-op in Bracknell...It's a small neighbourhood store and isn't particularly exciting. Too far to use.

There is one in Crowthorne, the next village to us. Prices not too bad [but not as cheap as Aldi] If we're visiting our favourite charity shop and can get a decent parking spot, we sometime go in so that I can raid their reduced section. Have had some good bargains in the past as they do decent markdowns.
Our Sainsbury's has just started doing the same, but they don't drop their prices by very much. It's not worth the effort of getting there.

After you've shopped in Aldi, nowhere else comes near for prices and the quality is very good. It's quite spoiled me for trying out different stores.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

UN asks government to explain two-child cap on child tax credits
SNP raised concerns about ‘medieval’ clause that it says discriminates against those who may want larger families for religious reasons

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016 ... ukpolitics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;