Monday 23rd.May 2016.

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
TR'sGhost
Minister of State

Re: Monday 23rd.May 2016.

Post by TR'sGhost »

StephenDolan wrote:
yahyah wrote:Steve Hilton has come out for Brexit. Another reason not to vote Leave ?
Steve Hilton, who encouraged blue sky thinking such as removal of maternity leave?
And suspending all consumer rights and protection legislation for 18 months to "see what would happen" and talked of "throwing a grenade" into any system of regulating anything because "free market theory says...."

Apparently the pure market forces, once unleashed, would do a better job of making sure people didn't sell dangerous crap, mis-described crap etc. than the law. Anyway, people can always sue individually.

There was a strong rumour from civil service sources that back in 2010 Hilton thought the PM could simply abolish or veto existing and proposed legislation and bypass Parliament. And even if he couldn't he should. At which point he and other spads had to have it explained to them that there is a thing called "the law" from which no-one is exempt and if the PM went around breaking the law then the PM might have to go to prison.

Not long after Hilton buggered off back to the USA.
I'm getting tired of calming down....
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Van der Bellen reported.to be Austrian president,yet to be officially confirmed.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Pauline Lane ‏@Antonineone1 3m3 minutes ago
Pauline Lane Retweeted Mike Coulson

He's been speaking in HoC today so obviously Dennis feels much better.Pauline Lane added,
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/m ... bert-hofer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

50.2 to 49.8 %,about 16,000 votes.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

I fully expected Hofer to win after the first round. Now for the thorny question of why so many working class people especially voted for him........
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Dan HodgesVerified account
‏@DPJHodges

According to @MattChorley Ed Miliband "is privately advising Mr Corbyn on how to lead the Labour party". That explains a lot...
Dan Dan The Telegraph man at it again...
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

RobertSnozers wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
‏@DPJHodges

According to @MattChorley Ed Miliband "is privately advising Mr Corbyn on how to lead the Labour party". That explains a lot...
Only he hasn't written for the Telegraph since February, I believe.
Dan, Dan, The Daily Heil Man?
ScarletGas
Committee Chair

Post by ScarletGas »

ohsocynical wrote:
‏@DPJHodges

The man is an insignificant little attention seeker who proves he is a fool by believing someone, somewhere actually thinks his utterances are of any value.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

RobertSnozers wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
‏@DPJHodges

You can take the Dan out of the Telegraph but you can't take the Telegraph out of the Dan.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Gary Barker
@Barkercartoons
Can someone explain the difference between misdeclaration and fraud to me please ‪#‎David_Cameron‬
Yes. I'm curious too. The word doesn't exist in my Colins concise Dictionary.

There is 'declare' as for income tax purposes.
Declaration is making a 'firm' statement.
So let me get this straight. They made a firm statement that was a mis-declaration about their declaration on expenses? :?

Sounds about right for this governments level of intelligence.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I don't keep up with the little shit.
Didn't have a clue he'd left the T. Came across his tweet via another Tweet.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Arthur Seaton ‏@lockhart_flaws 38m38 minutes ago

PM buys blue car for wife front page news , election fraud barely a mention that's where we are at the moment in this country
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

RobertSnozers wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
‏@DPJHodges

No, he has been replaced as their "Labour" useful idiot by Tom Harris.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

HindleA wrote:Van der Bellen reported.to be Austrian president,yet to be officially confirmed.

One's faith in Austria is restored somewhat.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

G4S police control room staff suspended over claims of bogus 999 calls
Five members of call handling team for Lincolnshire force accused of making hundreds of ‘test calls’ to meet targets

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016 ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:There are certainly people who strongly supported Ed M but are almost violently anti-Corbyn. Maybe EM joining Jez's SC might make some of them think?
I agree with this.

You have only to look at the G politics threads or social media to see posts from Labour people who liked Ed but can't bear Jeremy.
Some normally (?) sensible people, too. Very disappointing, IMHO.

If Corbyn can unite the PLP by bringing people into the Shadow Cabinet on the basis of skill and experience, showing no prejudice, then he'll be setting an example that certain individuals would do well to emulate.

I really think that those who are briefing against Corbyn and McDonnell should put up or shut up. It's getting really tedious now. Corbyn has the mandate of most of the membership; we've been having this conversation about the party getting behind him for months on end.

The Tories are in no small amount of trouble right now. The referendum isn't about Europe, it's about Tory leadership; there's the stuff about election expenses going on; the NHS is approaching collapse; education is a mess; prisons are about to implode; and Osborne's magical thinking is failing to produce the goods on the economy.

Corbyn appears to be systematically garnering more grassroots support; there is a lot of interest in what McDonnell's doing with his ideas and his experts - instead of bitching and bleating, the Bitterites or whatever they are should get on with doing their jobs.
Part of that is presenting a united front to the Tories, and opposing their viciousness and stupidity with a bit of vigour. About now....
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

RobertSnozers wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:I fully expected Hofer to win after the first round. Now for the thorny question of why so many working class people especially voted for him........
Immigration.

Simple as that.

I can't help feel that a very real problem for Western governments now is the perception of immigration as the issue of our times. They're either going to have to start finding ways to restrict immigration considerably or start seriously making the economic and humanitarian cases for immigration - and quite possibly both. And working internationally to solve the problems of war, instability and economic hardship that lead to immigration.
Yep, all that.

The trick - and its a difficult one, no question - is to deal with people's genuine concerns whilst showing that prejudice and scapegoating is not the way. Those who think the centre-left should simply pander do not help - a low point recently being Tristram Rhyming Slang's demand for a "referendum on Englishness" when even he admitted he had absolutely no idea what such a thing would actually involve :wall:
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Exactly, Robert - thank you.

And thank you to whoever mentioned Simon Duffy earlier - he is one of my heroes. His research is meticulous, and he's not afraid to point out where some policies actually have good aspects to them (although I don't always agree....)
Whatever - if he says that sick and disabled people have had more cuts than ordinary people, and severely disabled people have had the worst of the lot, then I am inclined to believe him. So will others - he is an acknowledged expert.

OGRPPFGTCC and Baron Gidiot have opined today that Brexit would cause a DIY recession.
We've already got one of those. They made it. Themselves.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Leaked Brexit email claims David Cameron has 'starved' NHS

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... -nhs-staff
Whatever the referendum result, this is our government for the next four years.
They've been appalling but how the hell are they going to run the country after all this shit?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:
Leaked Brexit email claims David Cameron has 'starved' NHS

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... -nhs-staff
Whatever the referendum result, this is our government for the next four years.
They've been appalling but how the hell are they going to run the country after all this shit?
They don't give a shit basically. Whoever 'wins' they will pretend the shit and smears and he said / you lied blah di blah di is all part of the 'rough and tumble' of campaigning. They'll all be 'besties'. It's Fing sickening. The one Sturgeon intervention that I think is spot on ... telling them to find the positive campaign. Dirt and lies is all they know how to do.
Working on the wild side.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

THE EU REFERENDUM HORROR SHOW

http://www.newtekjournalismukworld.com/ ... orror-show" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

SamCam Disappointed by ‘New’ Car
By Druids Loom Reporter on May 23, 2016 No Comment

Samantha Cameron was reportedly incandescent with rage when David gave her a used Nissan Micra; costing £1495; earlier this morning.

http://druidsloom.co.uk/druid/samcam-di ... y-new-car/
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

RobertSnozers wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:I fully expected Hofer to win after the first round. Now for the thorny question of why so many working class people especially voted for him........
Immigration.

Simple as that.

I can't help feel that a very real problem for Western governments now is the perception of immigration as the issue of our times. They're either going to have to start finding ways to restrict immigration considerably or start seriously making the economic and humanitarian cases for immigration - and quite possibly both. And working internationally to solve the problems of war, instability and economic hardship that lead to immigration.
I think an honest appraisal of what a wealthy, post-industrial developed nation with an aging population, flat growth and low immigration might actually look like would be a good place to start. Japan can provide some clues, I think, and it wouldn't be problem free. A comparison of number of school places in the 60s and 70s and now would also be interesting. Is the birth rate and immigration responsible for our growing population or is it a baby boom decades ago feeding through to a large pensioner population as people are living longer? Certainly the idea immigrants are a strain on the NHS is a little fanciful given they tend to be young and healthy. It will be many years of paying taxes in before they start taking out, surely? I'm not sure people want to think about it all logically, though, do they? I think they just want life to go back to how it was before mosques started to appear and when people had a job for life and everyone went to the bingo on a Saturday night. Easy answers.
Last edited by Willow904 on Mon 23 May, 2016 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Owen Jones ‏@OwenJones84 4h4 hours ago
Relieved Austria's far-right was defeated, but terrified how narrow the defeat was. Europe's far-right at its most powerful since the 1930s
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

A complete run down by C4 on election expenses. Who, what, when and how much.

http://www.channel4.com/news/election-expenses-exposed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

James Reed
‏@JamesReedYP
North Yorkshire County Council has approved first fracking in UK since 2011 by margin seven votes to four #yplive #nyshale
Pants.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
James Reed
‏@JamesReedYP
North Yorkshire County Council has approved first fracking in UK since 2011 by margin seven votes to four #yplive #nyshale
Pants.
Madness.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
James Reed
‏@JamesReedYP
Pants.
This is so wrong. Pants indeed.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

WATCH: Caller tells @IainDale that talking to George Osborne convinced her to vote Leave http://l-bc.co/tXKuzC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'Talking To Osborne Persuaded Me To Vote Leave'
http://www.lbc.co.uk/talking-to-osborne ... ave-131046" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
More interesting is the audio boo clip of the call - in full - at the bottom of the report.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RobertSnozers wrote:
ephemerid wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: Pants.
This is so wrong. Pants indeed.
Conservative controlled council, I see

Greenest government ever.
Can only but hope the Conservative grip on the council will be loosened by this .... just hoping.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Appalling Kit Malthouse on Channel 4 News. Cathy Newman rightly pointed out that Cameron's "the fate of children in care shames us all" was bollocks- "us all" don't have any input to the care system. It shames the government.

Malthouse did some corporate speak about LAs and waffle about a government putting care "children front and centre for the first time". This lot really do think nobody else has ever tried tackling very hard social issues before.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Eating a curry as made by Muslim neighbour,shopping,lifts,diy,assistance on tap.All I did was pump her sons tyres on his bicycle up and help clear her garden.She called around to check if I was o.k.yesterdayI will be adopted by next week.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Jeremy Corbyn MP ‏@jeremycorbyn 30m30 minutes ago
Congratulations to Ken Loach for winning Palme d'Or with I, Daniel Blake. Hugely important film about housing & welfare struggles.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

From a Government that removed Community Care Grants,puts supported housing at risk,etc hypocritical cynical barstewards.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

The Vote Leave campaign has issued a stark warning that if Transylvania joins the EU, then the UK could find itself ‘overrun’ with vampires.

http://newsthump.com/2016/05/23/transyl ... k-by-2020/

The stupid thing is there is so much hysterical exaggeration being thrown around, it could almost be true.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Éoin ‏@LabourEoin 9h9 hours ago
Preparations to unveil the next chapter in the Tory Election Fraud Scandal are at very advanced stages. This is worth waiting for I assure u

In reply to Chris Devismes
Éoin ‏@LabourEoin 6h6 hours ago
@B9igndispo Either 10pm tonight or tomorrow mid-morning.

Éoin ‏@LabourEoin 5h5 hours ago
Éoin Retweeted Hayley Barlow
Famous last words. Let's see if he still holds that view tomorrow.Hayley BarlowVerified account
‏@Hayley_Barlow
"Metropolitan Police have got better things to do dealing with crime than dealing with a SNP political stunt" Liam Fox on #ElectionExpenses

In reply to Nicola
Éoin ‏@LabourEoin 3h3 hours ago
@fitzy_blue @AndrewGodsell @B9igndispo @BBCNews It will be impossible for them to avoid it this time.
Well - let's see what develops - if anything. It wouldn't be the first or last time there have been rumours of a big expose that seems to dematerialise ... I hope that's not the case here.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Or what about this one ...

http://newsthump.com/2016/05/22/12m-tur ... ipe-offer/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

HindleA wrote:Eating a curry as made by Muslim neighbour,shopping,lifts,diy,assistance on tap.All I did was pump her sons tyres on his bicycle up and help clear her garden.She called around to check if I was o.k.yesterdayI will be adopted by next week.
That's lovely.

It's what good neighbours do.

(It probably wouldn't work in Texas)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

National Executive Committee 17 May 2016

The major subject for debate at the NEC were the reports from Baroness Jan Royall. These were handed round at the meeting and collected up at the end. In addition, Shami Chakrabarti attended the NEC to discuss the framework for her inquiry. There was a very friendly and positive attitude at the NEC reflecting the relative success in the recent elections and the general consensus that the bulk of the Party is pulling together.

http://www.leftfutures.org/2016/05/pete ... executive/
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.itv.com/news/2016-05-23/999- ... gus-calls/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

999 call handlers suspended after 'making hundreds of bogus calls'
The employees were hired by G4S Public Services
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Michael Crick Retweeted
Hayley Barlow ‏@Hayley_Barlow 3h3 hours ago
Nottinghamshire Police obtain 12-month extension to investigate @Anna_Soubry and @Mark_Spencer #electionexpenses.

Police given extension to investigate two Nottinghamshire MPs over expenses fraud accusation
http://www.nottinghampost.com/Police-in ... z49VpGeYpq" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://linkis.com/www.politicshome.com/D2aUR" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Labour MP suggests Penny Mordaunt should be sacked over Turkey EU veto error
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Faisal Islam ‏@faisalislam 5h5 hours ago
PMQs this week will be @george_osborne (in his capacity as First Secretary of State) and shadow biz sec @angelaeagle

He's no match for our Ange.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Qian Yu Retweeted
Éoin ‏@LabourEoin May 20

16 Police now probing Tories
Notts
Met
Cumbria
W York
Derbs
Gtr Man
Devon
Gloucs
Northants
Staffs
Cheshire
Kent
Warks
Lincs
Somerset
W Mids
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Something interesting on Lib Dem Voice
The Independent View: Neal Lawson’s letter to Liberal Democrats
http://www.libdemvoice.org/the-independ ... 50688.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
An approach to Lib Dems to consider their comeback strategy - and plump for being part of a progressive alliance rather than 'stubbornly equidistant' from the Chair of Compass.

Varying responses.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/m ... ales-study" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

People of no religion outnumber Christians in England and Wales – study
Proportion of population who identify as having no religion rose from 25% in 2011 to 48.5% in 2014, surveys show

Seems a heck of a jump to me.
Bonnylad
Committee Member

Post by Bonnylad »

Éoin ‏@LabourEoin · 4m4 minutes ago

Tory Election Scandal story will break tomorrow. When it does, power in all of this switches to you guys. The public. It will be worth wait
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

So not breaking tonight at 10 o'clock?

Believe it when I see it.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Éoin ‏@LabourEoin 10m10 minutes ago
Tory Election Scandal story will break tomorrow. When it does, power in all of this switches to you guys. The public. It will be worth wait.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Ooops - I've done it again. Sorry for the snap. Good to see you bonnylad.