Saturday and Sunday, 11th and 12th June respectively, 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday and Sunday, 11th and 12th June respectively, 20

Post by yahyah »

My husband's just watching a recording of that Switzerland game.
He pointed out to me how good it was to see the teams act the way they did before the match.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

yahyah wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:YahYah:

You can feel compassionate towards the shits...There'll be all sorts of reasons why they're the way they are, but you're never going to change them, so you have to leave them to their own karma.
I was reading a book by a left wing philosopher the other day.
Can't remember his name, have taken it back to the library.
It was about empathy, how we need to develop it personally, and as a society.

He wrote about working in South America some years ago, on a project about the small number of oligarch families who controlled business and amassed wealth.
He interviewed people who were wealthy exploiters, those who were supportive of the military juntas at the time and backed murderous repression of union members and left wingers.
He learnt to see where they were coming from, which helped him.
He still disliked their politics and lifestyles but gained an understanding of why they were the way they were.
Some people have bad starts; bad things happen to them, and yet they still become decent human beings, but some don't. You won't change them.

And I think hating is perfectly natural and normal, because what other emotion could a regular decent human being use on some of the lowlifes that share our space?
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Roy Bailey
51 mins · Bracknell
Several of us were outside Princess Square this morning and although there were plenty of Remain supporters, there were also lots of angry Brexiteers complaining about immigration. My sense from this brief session is that we have an uphill task on our hands. Even committed Labour voters were citing immigration as their key issue. All very depressing. One of the photos shows a German visitor with Paul Bidwell, our EU champion. He told me Germany was watching in horror!
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Stella Creasy tweeted that some Leave campaigners told a foreign worker in Walthamstow 'she should leave' and made the worker cry.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Is Stephen Crabb the man to tackle this age of extreme inequality?
The Panama Papers will lead to the dynamiting of Tory credibility, but new work and pensions secretary, Stephen Crabb, is unlikely to prove the saviour of his party’s reputation

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016 ... sal-credit
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

yahyah wrote:Stella Creasy tweeted that some Leave campaigners told a foreign worker in Walthamstow 'she should leave' and made the worker cry.
It's so ugly...
Maeght
Committee Chair

Post by Maeght »

refitman wrote:I would say that last nights The Last Leg is well worth catching. Corbyn did very well (much better than Clegg). Played up his perceived "weaknesses" well and was quite self-deprecating.
I enjoyed it very much as well. Nice that he appeared happy and relaxed . Audience very appreciative.

And lots of jokes but no nastiness.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

ohsocynical wrote:
Is Stephen Crabb the man to tackle this age of extreme inequality?
The Panama Papers will lead to the dynamiting of Tory credibility, but new work and pensions secretary, Stephen Crabb, is unlikely to prove the saviour of his party’s reputation

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016 ... sal-credit
QTWTAIN
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

I wonder if there was a turning point when things started to shift towards Leave (assuming we are reading things right)

It seems that immigration has become the central theme and it is almost as if people seem entitled to express their repressed feelings on this...especially on the Labour side

Has the way that some of the party - starting with Burnham and then eagerly followed by others pandering to the UKIP anti-immigration rhetoric made this seem acceptable?

I don't know but there is something unpleasant going on and I am just trying to understand why
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Maeght wrote:
refitman wrote:I would say that last nights The Last Leg is well worth catching. Corbyn did very well (much better than Clegg). Played up his perceived "weaknesses" well and was quite self-deprecating.
I enjoyed it very much as well. Nice that he appeared happy and relaxed . Audience very appreciative.

And lots of jokes but no nastiness.
I'm annoyed that I still don't know if he'd want arms for legs, or legs for arms.

Corbyn OUT!
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Turns out the reason our verges haven't been cut for weeks is that ten ground workers have left in less than a year. Pretty much the whole workforce.
The council put landscaping out to tender and a Dutch firm won it. But they lowered what was already poverty line wages, so most of the workforce who'd been there for years, left to try to earn more elsewhere.

The word is it'll be Eastern Europeans filling the vacancies...Which clearly isn't going to sit well with residents who can be a bigoted lot.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Waiting to watch Wales play Slovakia...
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Is Mr OhSo a fan too ?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Daily Mail retracts “immigrants broke NHS” story…

http://sluggerotoole.com/2016/06/10/dai ... nhs-story/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

howsillyofme1 wrote: Has the way that some of the party - starting with Burnham and then eagerly followed by others pandering to the UKIP anti-immigration rhetoric made this seem acceptable?
Blaming the likes of Burnham for this is a real stretch, tbh.

Part of the problem is that it is well nigh impossible to separate those who have genuine "concerns" about jobs, wages etc from those who are simply racist and proud of their ignorance.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

howsillyofme1 wrote:I wonder if there was a turning point when things started to shift towards Leave (assuming we are reading things right)

It seems that immigration has become the central theme and it is almost as if people seem entitled to express their repressed feelings on this...especially on the Labour side

Has the way that some of the party - starting with Burnham and then eagerly followed by others pandering to the UKIP anti-immigration rhetoric made this seem acceptable?

I don't know but there is something unpleasant going on and I am just trying to understand why
I think Miliband takes some responsibility for apologising for Gordo on immigration. Ought to have got some experts in to assess the policy.

And should have realised Osborne etc didn't really care about immigration.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

yahyah wrote:Is Mr OhSo a fan too ?
Not dedicated, but we enjoy watching international matches...
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote: Has the way that some of the party - starting with Burnham and then eagerly followed by others pandering to the UKIP anti-immigration rhetoric made this seem acceptable?

Part of the problem is that it is well nigh impossible to separate those who have genuine "concerns" about jobs, wages etc from those who are simply racist and proud of their ignorance.
I have a strong feeling that Leave will be the winner in Bracknell. I remember how many voted for UKIP and the BNP in 2015.
It was a real shaker.

The only reason you'd vote UKIP and BNP is immigrants.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:I wonder if there was a turning point when things started to shift towards Leave (assuming we are reading things right)

I think Miliband takes some responsibility for apologising for Gordo on immigration. Ought to have got some experts in to assess the policy.

And should have realised Osborne etc didn't really care about immigration.
& the BBC. They seem to have pushed the immigration question on every panel show possible, as well as giving far more airtime to Farage than any other (then) minority party.

Even without an MP, Farage used to be on Any Questions far more than Plaid or the SNP.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

ohsocynical wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:

I have a strong feeling that Leave will be the winner in Bracknell. I remember how many voted for UKIP and the BNP in 2015.
It was a real shaker.

The only reason you'd vote UKIP and BNP is immigrants.
I've already warned my husband I'll probably be up all night for the count.
It'll be interesting to see how constituencies go.
My constituency Ceredigion was declared by YouGov to be the most Europhile place in the UK.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Matt White
‏@Matt_CAFC

46,000 people watching the live feed of England fans in Marseille current chant is "fuck off Europe, we're all voting out"
Shameful. But lets hope it makes a few people that were for Leave, change their minds.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Bethnal Green and Bow will be OK. Came 54th for Europhileness, IIRC.

Bangladeshis aren't likely to have been taken in by hard right bollocks that they'd be able to bring more relatives over if we leave the EU.

Cameron is the only one to blame really. Populist bollocks v Brown on immigration, bollocks about how bad EU is for years, little attempt to make own immigration target, bollocks referendum, bollocks attacks on Corbyn and Labour.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

I'm not sure OhSo, I think we are heading for the rise of the right wing boor.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Wales have scored...Bale....
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Cameron bollocks speech on Turkey joining EU. I forgot that.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Cameron over promoting his renegotiation. That's another.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Cameron over promoting his renegotiation. That's another.
You could probably save some time and just type "Cameron". 8-)
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Its all Corbyn's/Labour's fault, though.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:

I agree - and the example Ohso gives in her post above shows that people do have a right to be concerned about wages and jobs. We can't just label everyone as a bigot - we have to work out how to stop that kind of race to the bottom happening.

I feel very conflicted about all of this. Immigration is certainly not a feature on my personal humming and haahing over the EU and whether or not to remain or leave. But I can understand why it may be for others more directly affected.
Working on the wild side.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

Can't say I'm a Sheridan fan but I wish him well with this:
FIREBRAND left-winger Tommy Sheridan has announced he is ‘stepping aside’ from the leadership of the party he founded 10 years ago.

Mr Sheridan said he was quitting the post of co-convener of Solidarity to “make more time to concentrate on bringing down Rupert Murdoch and his News Group Newspapers empire”.
http://www.scotsman.com/news/tommy-sher ... -1-4152181
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

WHOOOOO. Wales win 2-1
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:

I agree - and the example Ohso gives in her post above shows that people do have a right to be concerned about wages and jobs. We can't just label everyone as a bigot - we have to work out how to stop that kind of race to the bottom happening.

I feel very conflicted about all of this. Immigration is certainly not a feature on my personal humming and haahing over the EU and whether or not to remain or leave. But I can understand why it may be for others more directly affected.

In my home town it is essentially dislike of foreigners...not overt racism but looking for someone to blame for the difficult economic conditions at the moment, the underfunding of the NHS and the removal of a lot of the unskilled jobs due to globalisation. The Tories are almost never heard to be at fault either by the way, even Labour supporters I know are far more likely to blame 'foreigners'

You may say that the EU has helped with this but there are lots of Brits abroad as well so I am not sure that it is that big an effect as made out, and also the bulk of immigration does come from outside the EU

I am sure there are some people affected and support should be given to areas that do have an immigrant influx putting acute pressure on local services - as was done under Labour.

As I have said in my posts there are reasons for left-wingers to be against the EU but we are actually not talking about that type of future for us are we - I find the things I hear and see deeply disturbing, and it seems this referendum campaign has given respectability to it

If we didn't have immigration our economy would be in even more shit than it is now and so I am furious of the tone

I was wrong about Burnham by the way...it was more the media reporting of what he said...and then that idiot Mann stepped up as always!
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

howsillyofme1 wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote: Blaming the likes of Burnham for this is a real stretch, tbh.

In my home town it is essentially dislike of foreigners...not overt racism but looking for someone to blame for the difficult economic conditions at the moment, the underfunding of the NHS and the removal of a lot of the unskilled jobs due to globalisation. The Tories are almost never heard to be at fault either by the way, even Labour supporters I know are far more likely to blame 'foreigners'

You may say that the EU has helped with this but there are lots of Brits abroad as well so I am not sure that it is that big an effect as made out, and also the bulk of immigration does come from outside the EU

I am sure there are some people affected and support should be given to areas that do have an immigrant influx putting acute pressure on local services - as was done under Labour.

As I have said in my posts there are reasons for left-wingers to be against the EU but we are actually not talking about that type of future for us are we - I find the things I hear and see deeply disturbing, and it seems this referendum campaign has given respectability to it

If we didn't have immigration our economy would be in even more shit than it is now and so I am furious of the tone

I was wrong about Burnham by the way...it was more the media reporting of what he said...and then that idiot Mann stepped up as always!
Yes, that's another genie that won't be gong back in their bottle any time soon. Racial blaming has been legitimated for the first time in half a century, and 'political correctness' has been dealt a crippling blow, freeing those who've been labouring for so long under its cruel yoke to at last speak freely: to call a spade a spade, a paki a paki and a n****r a n****r, preferably at the top of their voice in the middle of the street.

Thank you David Cameron, from the bottom of my heart, thank you.
The truth ferret speaks!
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor

Post by mbc1955 »

And with the England fans already at three days of violence out of a maximum possible three, in France, of course there's no possible connection.

Arseholes for England! Arseholes for England!
The truth ferret speaks!
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Gordo protected incomes with tax credits.

The disparaging of this as "vote buying" from "scroungers" and blaming it for the Crash, that made people feel a whole lot more vulnerable.

That's another one for Cameron.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

mbc1955 wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: I agree - and the example Ohso gives in her post above shows that people do have a right to be concerned about wages and jobs. We can't just label everyone as a bigot - we have to work out how to stop that kind of race to the bottom happening.

Yes, that's another genie that won't be gong back in their bottle any time soon. Racial blaming has been legitimated for the first time in half a century, and 'political correctness' has been dealt a crippling blow, freeing those who've been labouring for so long under its cruel yoke to at last speak freely: to call a spade a spade, a paki a paki and a n****r a n****r, preferably at the top of their voice in the middle of the street.

Thank you David Cameron, from the bottom of my heart, thank you.
And The Express, and The Mail, and The Sun.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

mbc1955 wrote:And with the England fans already at three days of violence out of a maximum possible three, in France, of course there's no possible connection.

Arseholes for England! Arseholes for England!
Going to be fun if we play Turkey.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

i felt nauseous when I heard 'God Save the Queen' - I am feeling so very unEnglish at the moment....never felt that before but I feel the country's values and mine are no longer the same

Leave a bit of an empty feeling to be honest
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

howsillyofme1 wrote:i felt nauseous when I heard 'God Save the Queen' - I am feeling so very unEnglish at the moment....never felt that before but I feel the country's values and mine are no longer the same

I do too, but mainly because it's an awful dirge.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

refitman wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:i felt nauseous when I heard 'God Save the Queen' - I am feeling so very unEnglish at the moment....never felt that before but I feel the country's values and mine are no longer the same

Lol...that is true!

It doesn't inspire any sort of patriotism does it
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Having the EU referendum during Euro 2016 was meant to be Cameron's master stroke, no? It was meant to give us all a fuzzy glow about being part of Europe while enjoying the spectacle of our 'national' sport. He was determined to have his referendum at what he thought would be the opportune time to help him win it. Hasn't quite worked out that way though. Cameron never thinks about the alternative consequences for any of his tactics and strategy.
Working on the wild side.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Having the EU referendum during Euro 2016 was meant to be Cameron's master stroke, no? It was meant to give us all a fuzzy glow about being part of Europe while enjoying the spectacle of our 'national' sport. He was determined to have his referendum at what he thought would be the opportune time to help him win it. Hasn't quite worked out that way though. Cameron never thinks about the alternative consequences for any of his tactics and strategy.
Pretty sure Cameron thinks 'tactics' are little minty sweets*.

*I'd like to thank Humphrey Littleton for that line.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

refitman wrote:

And - as some of us have banged on about for a while now - its not actually an *English* anthem FFS!
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor

Post by mbc1955 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
refitman wrote:

And - as some of us have banged on about for a while now - its not actually an *English* anthem FFS!
The alternatives aren't much cop. 'Jerusalem' would be good but I confess a personal preference for 'I vow to thee my country': what music!
The truth ferret speaks!
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Jerusalem is one of my guilty pleasures, tbh. William Blake - a truly great man 8-)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
refitman wrote:

And I wonder how many other countries have an anthem addressed to their monarch rather than to their country?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Jerusalem is one of my guilty pleasures, tbh. William Blake - a truly great man 8-)
Yes - but he didn't write the bloody awful music, did he?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Frances Hinde Retweeted
Stewart Wood ‏@StewartWood 8h8 hours ago
The frustration of the UK sometimes not getting its way inside the EU will be as nothing compared to that of not getting its way outside it.

I was thinking exactly the above...If it's brexit, and government don't settle for the opt right out with no immigration, then there are going to be some awfully unhappy people out there and we are going to be in deep doo-doo.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

mbc1955 wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
refitman wrote: I do too, but mainly because it's an awful dirge.
The alternatives aren't much cop. 'Jerusalem' would be good but I confess a personal preference for 'I vow to thee my country': what music!
As you may have gathered, I'm not a "Jerusalem" fan. But I agree about your other choice.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Mike Sivier ‏@MidWalesMike 1h1 hour ago

Does anyone know if the Abergavenny Chronicle had a 4-page wraparound ad for the Tories b4 last year's general election? #toryelectionfraud