Tuesday 14th June 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 14th June 2016

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:I may as well make this my day for posting it *real*. Very upsetting experience for our neighbour yesterday. She's in her 80s and has the early stages of dementia - and lives on her own. Mr Riots met her son who lives in Gloucestershire on the track and heard the following.

She had a fall in the early evening yesterday and - thinking she'd broken her arm - had the presence of mind to press her panic button (which she wanted to cancel but her son chose not to). However the team that was sent out couldn't find where she lived and spent over 2 hours driving around before they turned up. No one rang her or either of her sons (who are on the panic response team's info to contact). The team decided she needed to go to A & E - so then they rang her son who lives close by and asked him to take her. He took her to Withybush hospital (I hr) where the wait time was initially 5 hours and no triage available - then became 9 hours. He took her back home as it would have been a worse wait there than at home. In the morning he took her into Cardigan hospital - 10 minutes - where they first refused to see her without a GP referral and then - when he explained the situation so far - apologised and said they couldn't do anything anyway as their single X ray machine was broken. He then drove her to Glangwili hospital in Carmarthen (1hr) where they saw, X rayed and treated her. 16 hours later. It is broken - and she is very distressed.

Both of us find that tale very unsettling. We'll do the immediate practical thing that could make a bit of difference as soon as we can - put clear signage up wherever we can to help strangers find their way. But the rest of it .....
So sorry to hear that. It's the last thing she needed to happen. It'll have a negative effect on her dementia. Living in Suburbia can be stressful, but we are spoiled for some facilities.

I thought Sat Nav was part and parcel of things like ambulances?
Wasn't an ambulance - it was a team sent by the people on the other end of the panic button system. Sat nav doesn't do it around here anyway Ohso. What the hell does it say about a panic team if they can't do the most blindingly obvious thing and ring if not the person themselves her sons - who F*ing know where she lives and can describe how to get there? I'd go further than that and say they should have made sure they had a very clear map and set of directions available at the time of taking her on as a client and installing the panic system. Sorry but this seems to be a fail on far too many levels.
Working on the wild side.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Quick question. Given the tightness of the polls, when are we expecting an announcement as to the result of the referendum?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

ohsocynical wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:I may as well make this my day for posting it *real*. Very upsetting experience for our neighbour yesterday. She's in her 80s and has the early stages of dementia - and lives on her own. Mr Riots met her son who lives in Gloucestershire on the track and heard the following.

She had a fall in the early evening yesterday and - thinking she'd broken her arm - had the presence of mind to press her panic button (which she wanted to cancel but her son chose not to). However the team that was sent out couldn't find where she lived and spent over 2 hours driving around before they turned up. No one rang her or either of her sons (who are on the panic response team's info to contact). The team decided she needed to go to A & E - so then they rang her son who lives close by and asked him to take her. He took her to Withybush hospital (I hr) where the wait time was initially 5 hours and no triage available - then became 9 hours. He took her back home as it would have been a worse wait there than at home. In the morning he took her into Cardigan hospital - 10 minutes - where they first refused to see her without a GP referral and then - when he explained the situation so far - apologised and said they couldn't do anything anyway as their single X ray machine was broken. He then drove her to Glangwili hospital in Carmarthen (1hr) where they saw, X rayed and treated her. 16 hours later. It is broken - and she is very distressed.

Both of us find that tale very unsettling. We'll do the immediate practical thing that could make a bit of difference as soon as we can - put clear signage up wherever we can to help strangers find their way. But the rest of it .....
So sorry to hear that. It's the last thing she needed to happen. It'll have a negative effect on her dementia. Living in Suburbia can be stressful, but we are spoiled for some facilities.

I think you have to keep Sat Nav updated. I read something a week or so ago about an ambulance taking hours to get to the Olympic Stadium in London because the crew didn't know where it was (!) and the Sat Nav was outdated. The delay contributed to a fatality.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

StephenDolan wrote:Quick question. Given the tightness of the polls, when are we expecting an announcement as to the result of the referendum?

Good question. I think Radio 4 are doing an all nighter. I've presumed it'll be like a general election.
The votes should be quicker to count as only three piles Remain, Leave and spoilt papers ?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

yahyah wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:Quick question. Given the tightness of the polls, when are we expecting an announcement as to the result of the referendum?

Good question. I think Radio 4 are doing an all nighter. I've presumed it'll be like a general election.
The votes should be quicker to count as only three piles Remain, Leave and spoilt papers ?
We should have a few more votes to count than at the election though - hopefully - if Cam's last minute panic call for people to register has paid off. Just hope they stay on the register for the next general election.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

What would happen if the eu vote resulted in a dead heat ? Would Lillibet give the casting vote in a Simon Cowell 'Buck House has got talent' stylee type thing ?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

TobyLatimer wrote:What would happen if the eu vote resulted in a dead heat ? Would Lillibet give the casting vote in a Simon Cowell 'Buck House has got talent' stylee type thing ?
Best of 3 coin tosses?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Penalty shoot out ?
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Frank Field says it is time to leave "Brexit would help us control immigration. Like me, many Labour voters want out" http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ters-party" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Scissors. Paper. Stone.

Best of three.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

yahyah wrote:Penalty shoot out ?
Who'd be the goalkeeper? At the very least, one of the requirements would be to have a deathwish.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

I'd nominate David Cameron. He got us into this whole mess.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Replay-aargh
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

At least I was on the winning side last night.
Italy beat Belgium who are supposedly the second best team in the world.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

Wasn't an ambulance - it was a team sent by the people on the other end of the panic button system. Sat nav doesn't do it around here anyway Ohso. What the hell does it say about a panic team if they can't do the most blindingly obvious thing and ring if not the person themselves her sons - who F*ing know where she lives and can describe how to get there? I'd go further than that and say they should have made sure they had a very clear map and set of directions available at the time of taking her on as a client and installing the panic system. Sorry but this seems to be a fail on far too many levels.
Sorry. I should have remembered that's how the panic button works with some companies. Uncle had one, but they used to ring his daughter and then ring an ambulance.

That company sounds a bit hit and miss. And if they're like the one uncle used, they charge enough for the service.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
TobyLatimer wrote:What would happen if the eu vote resulted in a dead heat ? Would Lillibet give the casting vote in a Simon Cowell 'Buck House has got talent' stylee type thing ?
Best of 3 coin tosses?
Could work. There's no shortage of tossers.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Epic failure of the "panic team" it was suggested that we had a similar arrangement to "free me up" more;we couldn't envisage a scenario that didn't involve me coming home/back and in reality after a couple of hours I would be mentality there anyway envisioning a catastrophe;that and a suspicion that it may have been used to remove existing support made us politely reject,of course we were extremely lucky we had a choice and support.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

yahyah wrote:At least I was on the winning side last night.
Italy beat Belgium who are supposedly the second best team in the world.
I like to watch International football, but know little about how it all works...

Mr Ohso reckons the Belgian team being 2nd best, is all hype. They've never won a World or European title.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Best of 3 coin tosses?
Could work. There's no shortage of tossers.
Very sharp :lol: :lol: :lol:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

TobyLatimer wrote:Frank Field says it is time to leave "Brexit would help us control immigration. Like me, many Labour voters want out" http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ters-party" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The snag is Frank Field's often an idiot.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

yahyah -the worst Italian team for 50 years according to some-mm
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

You did ask

http://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/ ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ranking Procedures

http://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/ ... e/men.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Thanks for the links.

I must say they didn't have the sort of grace and attack that I remember from a great Italian team. I used to love Fabio Cannavaro. But apparently their team work was excellent, which counts for a lot, as in most things.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

https://ig.ft.com/sites/how-should-i-vo ... eferendum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I did this EU should I vote questionnaire.

I'm only 67% remain.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

HindleA wrote:You did ask

http://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/ ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ranking Procedures

http://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/ ... e/men.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:? :? :?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

I'm 94%. Thought the 'who would you prefer as PM?', the only choices being Boris, Cameron or May,
was a swizz.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

So I made the right choice. That's a relief. If the rest of Britain hate me, so be it.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

ohsocynical wrote:
TobyLatimer wrote:Frank Field says it is time to leave "Brexit would help us control immigration. Like me, many Labour voters want out" http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ters-party" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The snag is Frank Field's often an idiot.
How Sweet To Be An Idiot [youtube]2cNsmt2YZXA[/youtube] :)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

My grandparents immigrated from Wales and England to the US at different times and I don't have documentation to prove that. The UK is my only home and I've lived in this country exclusively for years. I've passed the life in the UK test in five minutes after memorising the costly collection of books available for purchase on the UK Immigration website. We've paid expensive fees, completed lengthy, dauntingly labyrinthine sets of applications allowing me to immigrate to the UK to join family. English is my first language. I sincerely thank the UK government for the privilege to demonstrate my commitment to UK people, land and law. The UK government didn't have to allow me this. I want to live here until I die - a UK citizen.

Different nations have different ways, social norms vary between nations, vary between groups within nations and I often marvel in a good way how interesting this is. Thankfully, my enthusiasm is shared, appreciated, maybe sometimes just patiently tolerated (thank you for your continued patience with me) by my people here in the UK. I've travelled all over since I was a child. Differences between people all over the world exist - skin colour, language, attire, spiritual beliefs and customs (not an inclusive list). The different dialects within the English language alone are many. I've grown up hearing them and my accent is decidedly ambiguous sometimes. I can't help it.

I am not now, nor have I ever been, an 'American'. I usually don't mind being mistaken for one. I recall only one time I was offended by being called an 'American' and the person didn't say it to my face. It was meant pejoratively - I was told I couldn't call the UK my home, couldn't call the UK my country, couldn't call the people I share living in the UK with, my people. Because I was an 'American'. I'm not an 'American'. My allegiance is to my country, home, family and friends in the UK. It's possible to be an 'American' as well as being a UK citizen, I know this, others may have no difficulty with this. I don't categorically think it's wrong for everyone. I find it too difficult so, I've chosen my allegiance. Regardless of my allegiance, I won't cause harm to anyone or any nation.

The United States is a magnificent country but then I think all nations are magnificent, in their own way. Nationalism for administrative purposes, for organising a collection of people and resources together to make a society, is okay enough. We all rely upon the one atmosphere, the one earth to sustain us and solutions to problems life on this planet face now requires nations coming together to protect the lot - life, water, air and land.

It could very well shake the snot out of the nose of the UK's elite (to vote for the UK to leave the EU) to demand they go upstairs and clean their room and don't come back down until they've decided to behave responsibly, share fairly and recognise exactly why they're being severely reprimanded by sincerely asking the pardon of those they've disgracefully harmed and offended.

The unknowns of what will happen if the UK votes to leave the EU now are too many, too potentially dangerous for regular people, in my opinion. I don't know for sure but remaining in the EU is likely best now.

I hold Dave Cameron and his Tory government responsible for carelessly and dangerously offering an EU referendum now. The people are without clear, accurate information, without fully understanding the consequences of our vote either way. I don't think most of the people of the UK wanted an EU referendum now. We got it anyway and we all can only do our best. This is a nightmare.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Being an idiot once qualified the person to be eligible for admission to the workhouse. This is a sample of the 'inmates' register from the 1881 census of Mansfield Union Workhouse, along with the 'handicap' of the inmate
01414.jpg
01414.jpg (84.19 KiB) Viewed 7292 times

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Mansfield/ ... ml#Inmates" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Sunny Hundal ‏@sunny_hundal 14m14 minutes ago
As I say, bring back Cameron. I'd rather the PM focus on convincing Tory voters than Labour sending out mixed msgs " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
He's not wrong. Labour have fewer supporters and a much higher percentage already supporting remain. How can there possibly be more mileage in preaching to them rather than the more evenly split and far more numerous Tory voters? Especially when (older) Tory voters are more likely to turn out. Cameron has courted votes by being negative about the EU and is now reaping what he has sown. If he can't turn around the negativity within his own party that he previously cultivated, Tory voters will take us out of the EU and it will mostly because he has spent the last 6 years telling them how wrong the EU is. Stupid, stupid Cameron.
Exactly so. A bad leader. People deserve better leadership.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Asked what he thought would happen after next week’s vote Mr Farage said: “I’ve absolutely no idea.
“What I do know is that if we vote for Brexit then the Ukip delegation in the European Parliament has a very important job over the next 18 months or two years because we will need to be the canary in the mine shaft"

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/eu ... yn-8185625" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ScreenShot01415.jpg
ScreenShot01415.jpg (35.45 KiB) Viewed 7268 times
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

ScreenShot01416.jpg
ScreenShot01416.jpg (141.61 KiB) Viewed 7264 times

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TR'sGhost wrote:
HindleA wrote:

The Labour supporters backing Brexit in Stoke-on-Trent heartland – video
Stoke-on-Trent has a history of providing some support for the racist far-right. It was about the only part of the country where Oswald Mosely could still draw an enthusiastic crowd in the 1950s. More recently, of course, the BNP did well in the 1990s and 2000s.

My parents came from the city and I grew up in the Staffs Moorlands. I've thought for a long time that Stoke-on-Trent had many of the problems that go with being a city, often the result of being a low pay economy reliant on only two very paternalistic industries, but never seemed to have picked up on many of the advantages city status can bring. Perhaps because folk memories of the pre-incorporation "six towns" pointed back to a mythical "happier time" before the First World War.
Stoke was one of the last places child labour was outlawed because of the Potteries - that industry relied upon particularly cheap
labour extracted from children and female workers. People live in poverty when they're not given fair pay from in the work they
do. I detest and fear anyone with power using it to subjugate others. God damn them to hell. Not treating people right, stealing
their labour, keeping them inadequately housed.

Stoke remains a place too many people are materially deprived. It doesn't have to be this way.

Geographically, Stoke occupies on of the finest places in the UK. It's elevated, the land fertile and generally protected from the
severest weather. A place continually inhabited for millennia due to tactical advantages and good land to grow food.

Interesting place, Stoke. I posted my day in Hanley on the latest weekend politics blog.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Somebody needs to flag up the trade war that Brexiters are happily leading us into.

Then again lots of people fall for "they want to sell us cars"
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Somebody needs to flag up the trade war that Brexiters are happily leading us into.

It's a good job that's all we buy from within EU otherwise we'd be in trouble....
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:
yahyah wrote:We got a phone call from someone fundraising on behalf of Labour's remain campaign this morning.
I'm donating when I've had my hot drink, am cautious about giving out card details to unsolicited callers even if they are from Labour.

When I discussed with my husband how much we'd give he suggested halving the amount.
His rationale is that it looks as if we've lost the vote so it is a waste of money to pour more cash into the campaign. I take the opposite view.

After reading Anatoly's post above I realise we are on a hiding to nothing. Not only will we be cash light from donating we may also be blamed for Labour's decline if the country goes Kipper/Brexit mad if Leave loses.

Difficult, and very trying times.
I've had quite a few e-mails asking for donations. Which leads me to this ramble -

During the General Election campaign, they only needed to ask and I'd provide. For someone on my income, overall I donated quite a bit (by my standards). I so much wanted Ed Miliband to win. Now (setting aside the fact that this is for a referendum and not a general election) it all flows past me and the e-mails get binned. Which brings me to my point. Jeremy Corbyn says a lot I agree with and, although I didn't vote for him as leader, I'm content to support him in his role. But there's something slightly distant about Jeremy Corbyn which stops me getting human about him. Does that make sense?

Maybe if I saw him in the flesh? I don't know. But if that's how it works with him, then he's probably right to do this grand tour thing rather than do much studio interview stuff.
It makes all kinds of sense. He seems rather elusive, stoical, he won't oblige public figures at all and while there's nothing wrong with any of this, it adds up to a kind lack of warmth, maybe. He's been married to three different people. It's not bad or wrong. I know friends who've been married to different people during different times in their lives. His integrity I don't question. He's been doing his job for decades and he keeps at it.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Ed? If my daughter had brought him home, I'd have been dead pleased...

We shouldn't be influenced by looks but I confess I'm guilty of it.

Jeremy being older, doesn't have that sort of appeal. We just have to admire his mind.

He's working all Gods hours, and I imagine he is his job. Hard for a marriage.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

StephenDolan wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Somebody needs to flag up the trade war that Brexiters are happily leading us into.

It's a good job that's all we buy from within EU otherwise we'd be in trouble....
We'll buy our own cars!

The ones with EU parts in them.
Last edited by Tubby Isaacs on Tue 14 Jun, 2016 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

I obviously have a dictatorial streak. If it were up to me the 65% who haven't been arsed to vote in EU MEP elections would not be allowed to vote on the 23rd.
All that whining about it not being democratic and they haven't bothered to take part in democracy.
Maeght
Committee Chair

Post by Maeght »

On the politics live blog at the Guardian there have been- up to now - 12,903 comments. This must be a record. Wonder how many were sensible. Have only looked a a few pages and only found one or two.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:

We'll by our own cars!

We'll build our own parts! Use British steel. Oh, err....
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Maeght wrote:On the politics live blog at the Guardian there have been- up to now - 12,903 comments. This must be a record. Wonder how many were sensible. Have only looked a a few pages and only found one or two.
I'm sure I commented more than twice. :wink:
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

StephenDolan wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
StephenDolan wrote: It's a good job that's all we buy from within EU otherwise we'd be in trouble....
We'll by our own cars!

We'll build our own parts! Use British steel. Oh, err....
And we'll stick tariffs on Chinese steel.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Maeght wrote:On the politics live blog at the Guardian there have been- up to now - 12,903 comments. This must be a record. Wonder how many were sensible. Have only looked a a few pages and only found one or two.

Mine aren't. I just keep responding to the idiots.

The worst of it is the arrogance, the assumption that they have won.
It isn't over until the vote is cast. The Nats thought they were likely heading for independence at the end, they lost by over 10 points.

But to be honest I am not sure. People like backing the winner, and if people are undecided they may want to be one of the ones partying and enjoying a pint with Farage on the 24th.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

If anyone of flythenest are posting, those are good.
hired or volunteer junk creation last night repeated over and over on the EU threads
Last edited by citizenJA on Tue 14 Jun, 2016 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

yahyah wrote:

It isn't over until the vote is cast. The Nats thought they were likely heading for independence at the end, they lost by over 10 points.

But to be honest I am not sure. People like backing the winner, and if people are undecided they may want to be one of the ones partying and enjoying a pint with Farage on the 24th.
I don't know. The GE showed how voting based on preconceptions of the outcome can (funnily enough) change the outcome.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:Ed? If my daughter had brought him home, I'd have been dead pleased...

We shouldn't be influenced by looks but I confess I'm guilty of it.

Jeremy being older, doesn't have that sort of appeal. We just have to admire his mind.

He's working all Gods hours, and I imagine he is his job. Hard for a marriage.
This is what I was trying to say, Ohso.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

StephenDolan wrote:
yahyah wrote:

I don't know. The GE showed how voting based on preconceptions of the outcome can (funnily enough) change the outcome.

How much of that was because of all the (undeclared ?) dosh and letters the Tories put about ?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

The sound on my computer is erratic and not working at the moment, so I can't say for sure how good this is. Knowing it's Michael Moore though, it'll be controversial.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;