Friday 17th June 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 17th June 2016

Post by HindleA »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06 ... um=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Retired miner who tried to tackle Jo Cox's attacker was also hero of colliery disaster
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

gilsey wrote:I'd assumed they were considering whether or not to charge him under the Terrorism Act, that was what was taking time.

You would think they had enough to charge him with murder.

I don't blame them for taking their time. It is frustrating not to know what is happening but I am sure there are some good reasons

Clearly a murder charge is on the cards but, depending on what they found in his house, there may be a some terrorist or hate crime related charges that will be brought

I guess they will also want to ensure that this was a lone person and there is not a conspiracy going on - it seems he may not have been quite the loner as portrayed

I imagine the police will also not want to start a fire here either - we could easily be in a situation where the murderer had links to numerous far right organisations and also to some organisations in the public eye....there is a poisonous atmosphere going on at the moment over the referendum and any indication that Jo Cox was murdered because of her support for immigration/refugees, or even worse, Bremain, would certainly lead to circumspection

Oh I also wanted to say that I was disgusted by BBC news earlier - they had found some neighbours of him and his mum who were saying what a nice quiet guy he is and he does the shopping forces mum etc.....the guy bloody murdered someone (that is without doubt) and even if he is suffering from a mental illness that leads to him not being in control of his actions (to me this is very unlikely) then to portray him in this way is pretty distasteful.....how do any of these people know him? They saw him once a week from afar in the street ffs.....
Last edited by howsillyofme1 on Sat 18 Jun, 2016 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Eric_WLothian wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:[
They can have longer than that in England and Wales, can't they? Given how large the police have said the investigation is they may well request more time.

@PfY - I think I'm still in shock. Can't begin to get my head around this at all. It all feels so wrong and twisted. Nothing feels quite right about any of it.
I don't know what the time limits are in England but I wouldn't have thought they would be very long. The 24 hour limit in Scotland isn't intended to rush the prosecution, it's intended to put the responsibility for custody onto a sheriff (who will take into account any submissions by a defence solicitor).
The police can hold you for up to 24 hours before they have to charge you with a crime or release you. They can apply to hold you for up to 36 or 96 hours if you're suspected of a serious crime, eg murder. You can be held without charge for up to 14 days If you're arrested under the Terrorism Act.12 Aug 2015
How long you can be held in custody - Gov.uk
https://www.gov.uk/arrested-your-rights ... in-custody" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's quite different up here:
When the police think someone may have committed a crime, they can detain them in custody for up to 12 hours. Sometimes this can be extended by another 12 hours.
After this the police must release the suspect if they don't have enough evidence to arrest them. The police can still carry on investigating the crime.

Someone can be arrested after being detained, or they can be arrested right away...
...The police will decide whether to keep the person in custody until going to court the next day

...The police might not release someone if they think:
•they'll commit more crimes
•they're a risk to an individual
•they're a risk to the public

The person may be held in custody until the next court day – or over the weekend if they were arrested on a Friday.

When the accused appears in court they're entitled to apply for bail. They'll be released until the trial, unless the Procurator Fiscal can argue why they shouldn't get bail, for example:
•it's likely the accused will commit more crimes
•it's likely they won't come back for the trial
•they're a danger to witnesses or other members of the public

https://www.mygov.scot/police-investiga ... stigation/
It's up to the sheriff how long to remand somebody (and they will generally be held in jail, not police cells). It looks as if the Scottish rules are a bit more flexible, and more favourable to the accused.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Kevin Rawlinson
‏@KevinJRawlinson
Breaking: Tommy Mair charged with murder, GBH, possession of a firearm and possession of an offensive weapon of killing of Jo Cox.

Kevin Rawlinson ‏@KevinJRawlinson 8m8 minutes ago
Mair, 52, will appear at Westminster magistrates court later today (Saturday)
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

ohsocynical wrote:Pawel Swidlicki
‏@pswidlicki
Boris on UKIP's 'Breaking Point' poster: “not our campaign... not my politics. I am passionately pro-immigration”

Simon Nixon ‏@Simon_Nixon 7m7 minutes ago
Boris is now pro-immigration again
Boris Johnson then went on to blame immigration for the fact people were upset. If there is a bigger shit in UK politics his name is Nigel.

Thought I would swing by and add my voice to the condolences and anger about what has happened in Yorkshire. Also wish those at The Nest who are currently facing difficult situations in their lives all the best.

O'Brien and oddly the Spectator have called it right on all of this.

I also note that given Britain First's comment on targeting Muslims it is a bit of a mystery as to why they aren't classed as a terrorist organisation.
Release the Guardvarks.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... -with-love" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Honour Jo Cox by meeting division with compassion – and anger with love
Doreen Lawrence
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ntolerance" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jo Cox’s legacy should be an end to the downward spiral in our politics
Gordon Brown
The inspiring MP devoted her life to bringing people together. Her death raises difficult questions about how strongly we are tackling prejudice and intolerance
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

The business of politics has become more about the exploitation of fears than the advancement of hope. Temperate language has given way to the intemperate. And where there is latent prejudice, we have seen it exploited to breed intolerance – and then too often intolerance has descended into hate.
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

The financial crisis of '07-'08 damned near brought the house of cards down, lots of hand wringing and talk of a new paradigm ensued. In the meantime untold billions were spent rescuing and propping up the wreckage of neo-liberalism.

I reckon there'll a suitably "compassionate" holding period, and then business as usual will resume.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

A very powerful piece of writing.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop