Thursday 23rd June 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 23rd June 2016

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Does say it all really doesn't it
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

yahyah wrote:...snip...
Michael Gove is crying into his copy of the St James' Bible at the sight of that list. Poor lamb didn't even warrant a snide, 'Former cartoon character' listing.
Donald Trump: Making America Hate Again
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

JonnyT1234 wrote:
mbc1955 wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote: SET MY PEOPLE FREE BORIS! apparently doesn't work either
Confidence is everything, guys, but let's not going tempting fate until the votes are counted. No hubris.
Don't deny me my usual election night pattern of light-headed, hopeful expectancy followed by crushing "oh no" disappointment at having backed the losing side again, again. It's become a recurring tradition for me. Perhaps I should stop voting for the Greens. ;)
What do they say? If you didn't laugh, you'd cry?
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

This is still going to be tight. I am not massively confident, there are lots of irrational people out there.
Release the Guardvarks.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Chief returning officer for Scotland is predicting 70 to 80% turnout there.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Am not on pills (a la Bobby Chariot) but me nerves are quite bad.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

In a stunningly London-centric phrase, the Groan gets it wrong again
A rainy day in June, an enormous moment for Britain's place in Europe
:roll:
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Am not on pills (a la Bobby Chariot) but me nerves are quite bad.
I'll make you a nice cup of cocoa later if you're around.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Ta!
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:In a stunningly London-centric phrase, the Groan gets it wrong again
Maybe they're have a flashback to their Mancunian roots.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

It's been fine all day here, clouded over a couple of hours ago.
Our local rural polling station had a flurry of voters between 9 and 10am according to my neighbours.
Chatting to people in the queue at the Co-Op people were saying polling stations had been busier than at the Assembly elections.

We're the most Europhile constituency in the UK, hope everyone turns out to show that.
Lots of Lib Dems & Plaid voters here so hopefully they'll rally behind their party leaders.
No signs up though. Haven't seen one.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Warm and increasingly sticky in Leeds today. A lot of folk out in the streets and a very summery feel.

Campaigners for both sides very active in the city, especially, appropriately enough, in Albion Street!

I'm not sure Vote Leave were having much success in central Leeds (as flagged by TheSkysGoneOut in the Pub last night), but elsewhere around the county who knows?
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:In a stunningly London-centric phrase, the Groan gets it wrong again
Is it raining immigrants?

(The heavens have just dumped what felt like a month's worth of rain on me in the space of a 15 minute walk here in London.)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

mbc1955 wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:
JonnyT1234 wrote:I have to say I'm not feeling very confident about Leave's chances in this referendum. Apparently writing BREXIT! on your ballot invalidates the vote. Who knew?
SET MY PEOPLE FREE BORIS! apparently doesn't work either
Confidence is everything, guys, but let's not going tempting fate until the votes are counted. No hubris.

I'm hoping that the high turnout figures that are being reported are an indication that "Remainers" are rather more keen on remaining (ie they're prepared to defend the status quo rather than be passive) than has been thought.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Football magic.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

PorFavor wrote:
mbc1955 wrote:

I'm hoping that the high turnout figures that are being reported are an indication that "Remainers" are rather more keen on remaining (ie they're prepared to defend the status quo rather than be passive) than has been thought.
Perhaps Nigel Farage has had his usual positive effect on the electorate (of driving everyone who despises him to outvote those who don't).
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:This is still going to be tight. I am not massively confident, there are lots of irrational people out there.
We've talked about the irrational on here for weeks now, but it isn't until you see the paranoia in action a-la obviously using a pen to make their cross, as I did this morning, that that finger of doubt creeps in.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

ohsocynical wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:This is still going to be tight. I am not massively confident, there are lots of irrational people out there.
We've talked about the irrational on here for weeks now, but it isn't until you see the paranoia in action a-la obviously using a pen to make their cross, as I did this morning, that that finger of doubt creeps in.
5m ago 18:14

More on the pens saga from PA, which reports that police were called to a polling station where a woman was handing out pens to fellow voters after a volunteer reported a “disturbance”.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

JonnyT1234 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
mbc1955 wrote: Confidence is everything, guys, but let's not going tempting fate until the votes are counted. No hubris.

Perhaps Nigel Farage has had his usual positive effect on the electorate (of driving everyone who despises him to outvote those who don't).
I wonder if any of his supporters were turned off by him not bothering to attend the TV debate? It was a contemptuous act. But somehow I doubt even that made a difference.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

ohsocynical wrote:
As the Austrian president said - how do you reach people that have locked themselves away in parallel worlds.

Gove and Johnson do it by feeding the paranoia and adding to the fantasy.
Release the Guardvarks.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
It's been sunny in Manchester all day, still is.
The truth ferret speaks!
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

mbc1955 wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:In a stunningly London-centric phrase, the Groan gets it wrong again :roll:
It's been sunny in Manchester all day, still is.
Yet in Guardian-world it's a rainy day in June :roll:

It's just such a metaphor of how they fail to understand anything isn't it?
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

That's a first, Just got off bus, and narrowly avoided Nick Clegg, outside Crookes Co-op.
This is so unprecented that Mrs tinybgoat & second tiniest tinybgoat have rushed off to see.
I hope he's alright.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Marilyn Groves: I'm afraid most of Crowthorne sounds like they're voting out!

Crowthorne is a village near us. Once sleepy and with slightly better class residents, it's becoming yuppyfied with Tanning and beauty salons springing up all along their high Street. They keep suffering more and more nice houses pulled down and small blocks of flats built, and I don't think there's a spare bit of brown field land left. They've recently fought having a large care home built there.

There has always been a bit of countryside between us and them, and they've fought like hell to keep it that way. They are truly horrified at the thought of being joined up to Bracknell.

Despite the influx of the upworldly mobile, I would imagine there are rather a lot of 'We want our Country Back' voters there.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

What's a bit of rain. It could be worse says she.

In Mr Ohso's neck of the woods they've just been sheltering from Tornadoes, with resulting power cuts and quite a bit of damage.
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

JonnyT1234 wrote:
mbc1955 wrote:
Don't deny me my usual election night pattern of light-headed, hopeful expectancy followed by crushing "oh no" disappointment at having backed the losing side again, again. It's become a recurring tradition for me. Perhaps I should stop voting for the Greens. ;)
Try supporting the Toon. Crushing disappointment is a way of life.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

I'd kill for some rain at the moment. It's been 'ot, 'umid and 'orrible all day.

Voted at about 6pm (Remain) and there were 3 other people in the polling station, which is the most I've ever seen. Can't relay what it was like earlier in the day.
Last edited by refitman on Thu 23 Jun, 2016 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: can't for can
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Voters stuck at Waterloo station

The storms have brought Waterloo station to a standstill, potentially affecting thousands of passengers who may not have voted.

The station is a major hub for people commuting from outside London many of whom would likely have left in the morning too early to vote.

Many people have taken to social media to express concern that they miss the 10pm deadline. (Politics Live, Guardian - 18.30)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 2h2 hours ago
Why the betting has often seemed so out of line with the polls – a possible explanation

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index. ... planation/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

refitman wrote:I'd kill for some rain at the moment. It's been 'ot, 'umid and 'orrible all day.

Voted at about 6pm (Remain) and there were 3 other people in the polling station, which is the most I've ever seen. Can relay what it was like earlier in the day.
It's hissed down here, but it's still hot and humid. Everything feels damp....
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

Voted for the second time today (proxy for costsentre#1). Very busy there at 0830 then wandered into town to collect new specs. Besieged by "Remain" canvassers and 7th Day Adventists, but not a sign of a "Brexiters". I hope that's significant. On that online voting intentions map, Newcastle is pro-remain and is set to declare early, just after the Mackems, who have got this off to a fine art. They are apparently slightly pro-leave, so two early indicators there.
I prepared for the late night by having a long nap in the back yard, and got burnt by the blinding sunshine. It's hard to imagine the rain down south.

Edited to cull rogue comma.
Last edited by 55DegreesNorth on Thu 23 Jun, 2016 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

PorFavor wrote:

The storms have brought Waterloo station to a standstill, potentially affecting thousands of passengers who may not have voted.

The station is a major hub for people commuting from outside London many of whom would likely have left in the morning too early to vote.

Many people have taken to social media to express concern that they miss the 10pm deadline. (Politics Live, Guardian - 18.30)
Why not postal vote? I'm surprised anyone with a vaguely stable address does anything else.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor

Post by mbc1955 »

55DegreesNorth wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

Why not postal vote? I'm surprised anyone with a vaguely stable address does anything else.
Yet I would never dream of a postal vote when I could go into a Ballot Station and make my mark on the day.
The truth ferret speaks!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

55DegreesNorth wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

I have a postal vote these days but I do miss going to the polling station to cast my vote (or "cast my cross" as some Guardian writer wrote the other day). Although if I had been in a position (back then) where I thought I might miss out on voting (commuting being a prime contender for timing cock-ups) I'd certainly have taken steps to make sure I could vote - postal or proxy.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I would have to have a postal vote if Mr Ohso couldn't drive. I'd never make the walk to our polling station. Hate the thought of it though. Stupid but I always wonder if after I'd posted it, something would happen to make me change my mind about who to vote for. Definitely wouldn't have been comfortable using one with my uncertainty over the Referendum.
Last edited by ohsocynical on Thu 23 Jun, 2016 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

55DegreesNorth wrote: Why not postal vote? I'm surprised anyone with a vaguely stable address does anything else.
My polling station is now in the nursery at my school at the end of the road. I voted after I had a meeting this morning.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

This is so funny.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Someone must have asked why they don't provide pens instead of pencils...

James O'Brien ‏@mrjamesob 37m37 minutes ago
You can't sharpen biros, you can't tell whether one works just by looking & they often dry out if unused for years. It's that bloody simple.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Oor No' Stable Retweeted
Rab Dickson ‏@Roy1Batty 21h21 hours ago

I'm now getting mildly excited about the 'Bastard Jocks kept us in" scenario

:lol: :lol: :lol:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Some real gems on Twitter this evening.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Rachael ‏@Rachael_Swindon 3m3 minutes ago
Rachael Retweeted Libby Brooks

Commentators said that a high turnout in Scotland was essential for the Remain vote. Scotland responds.

Libby BrooksVerified account
‏@libby_brooks

Scotland's chief returning officer Mary Pitkeithley just interviewed on BBC estimates turnout at 70-80% #EUref
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Manny Neira ‏@manny_neira 6m6 minutes ago

LEAVERS BEWARE: Check your voting box for greasy fingerprints, croissant crumbs, and the smell of garlic!
#usepens
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Evidently they are queuing out of the door at one of our polling stations ...
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

As we’re all aware the entire referendum campaign has been full to the brim with WTFs.

There have been flotillas, Brexit condoms and rants about bananas. There have been tweets about sniffing dirty socks and there have been #CatsAgainstBrexit.
But we’ve finally called it: we’ve found the thing that at last proves that we’ve lost the plot.
A conspiracy theory that someone would be rubbing out votes cast in favour of leaving the European Union began circulating on earlier this week, prompting the hashtag #usepens.
Some people appeared to take the claims seriously...

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/e ... edition=uk

I particularly liked this Tweet.

John O'Farrell ✔ @mrjohnofarrell
Look at this UKIP - ink erasers from GERMANY almost out of stock on Amazon. Coincidence? i don't think so...
3:23 PM - 23 Jun 2016
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

From the Huffpost link.
A poll earlier this week revealed that a number of people believe that the EU referendum is rigged, has been infiltrated by MI5, and the BBC and ITN are conspiring to fix the result.

Almost half of those backing ‘Brexit’ believe it is “probably true” that the outcome is pre-determined, a YouGov poll for LBC found.
I shouldn't really laugh should I ... It's pretty sick making when you think about what's coming if Leave loses.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

Good evening all. Just back from a training course in Cambridge. Was worried I wouldn't be back in time to vote, so managed to get my wife to vote by proxy for me.
Picked up the following email from comedian Daniel Kitson (whom I mentioned on here a couple of days ago.)
Hello.

So, perhaps predictably, I am voting to remain in Europe* and I think you should too.

If you have no interest in my views on this, or don't live in the UK, or both, then you should probably stop reading now. I'll be back in touch tomorrow with one of my cool marketing emails about shows coming up in New York and various other bits and pieces about my powerful art and beautiful craft. Okay?

Still here?

Okay.

For just under two weeks, I've had a wonky red poster in my front room window urging passers by to vote remain. Doing my bit to get the word out. The only problem being that i live on a cul de sac and the passers by are largely limited to my neighbours, a vocal cluster of randy foxes and the occasional man from newcastle selling fish for the freezer.

I had the poster for quite a while before i put it up, it arrived from the labour party along with a reminder to pay my membership fees and for a few weeks it sat in the front room on the table. Folded up. The truth is that I was too embarrassed and frightened to put it up. I was embarrassed by the campaign to remain and i was frightened by the campaign to leave. I felt very much like everything was lurching towards something terrible and misguided and driven by the reckless, sometimes racist, rhetoric of the Campaign to leave and not being effectively opposed by a Remain campaign that was hamstrung by the complex pragmatism of its enthusiasm for Europe.

Now, I understand that it may seem insufficient to cite the mendacity and duplicity of the leave campaign as a reason for voting to Remain. But to witness the out and out lies being told, the concerted muddying of statistical water and the denigration of independent expert research has been thoroughly depressing. Watching Boris Johnson and Michael Gove acquire a sudden interest in the disenfranchised and manipulating other peoples anger and frustration in order to advance their own personal and political ambitions, happily appropriating UKIP slogans, welcoming their supporters and obviously, from time to time sanctimoniously denouncing the dog whistle horrors they secretly hope will hand them victory,

However, of course, no one wants to vote for option A just because option B is entirely populated by terrible, sickening, self interested shit bags. It's not inspiring and it doesn't make you feel like a hero, doing the right thing and taking a brave stand against the baddies. Besides, the Remain campaign has had more than its fair share of grim turnips trotting out twaddle. Not least, the prime minister, being both unable and unwilling to acknowledge that the main problems exploited by the leave campaign (lack of housing, struggling public services, low wages) were not the fault of the EU or immigration but his own Tory government and their utterly idealogical austerity politics and that actually the EU has not only provided access to a free market with the facile benefits of cheaper flights and affordable holidays and lack of roaming charges but also brought forward vital legislation on workers rights and protection from discrimination and parental leave and sickness rights and equal pay and environmental standards and human rights.

So I'm not voting Remain, simply or even mainly, in order to take a stand against Nigel Farage, Boris Jonson and Michael Gove with their courageous, privately educated, independently wealthy and media dominating underdog campaign against the establishment. I am voting Remain because Europe, at its core is about consensus and compromise and cooperation. Three things which whilst undeniably nauseating to talk about are, gallingly, in almost every situation the best or only way to find a solution.

I've gone back and forth on whether telling you this was a good thing to do what with me being a card carrying** member of the metropolitan elite tooting my opinion horn into what is, largely if not entirely, the self congratulatory echo chamber of my own mailing list. Especially since, for me, two of the lowest points of the campaign were watching Eddie Izzard on Question Time and Bob Geldoff on the Thames, seeing their failure to understand how their, doubtless well meaning, involvement was only galvanising the campaign to leave and very much playing into the idea that rich, famous people, whilst happily ensconced in their own privilege were telling the disenfranchised how to vote in order to preserve their celebrity lifestyle.

That shouldn't be the case here though, because two weeks ago I couldn't afford to buy an oreo cornetto and of course am not a celebrity. I am a known recluse.***

So the reason i have told you, is the same reason I eventually put my poster up. I was walking to meet a friend in crystal palace, where i live. I'd driven to wales the previous day and saw endless vote leave billboards in the fields lining the motorways, i'd seen placards stapled to lamp posts in the village i'm from and It had been a typically saddening day on the news, full of claims and counterclaims and falsehoods and floundering and i felt worried, deeply worried that it was over, that we were going to leave Europe. I was lost in my thoughts and isolate in my worry when I saw a little A3 Remain poster, the first one i'd seen in the whole campaign. In a shop window. A toy shop. A small Independent toy shop. And seeing that gave me such disproportionate cheer, it was incredible, It reminded me that i was not alone in my beliefs and that they weren't actually the disconnected, self involved beliefs of the liberal, metropolitan elite. They were the complicated, compromised, hopeful and optimistic beliefs of lots of people. People In all walks of life, in all sorts of areas of the country, who for all sorts of reasons rejected the implicit and explicit separatism of the leave campaign.

So i went home and put the poster up to change the minds of the foxes and the fish man.

I feel like a lot of people voting Remain aren't really banging on about it. Probably, i think, because we aren't entirely satisfied with the decision we've had to make. There are issues around Europe that we feel unhappy with, there are implicit agreements with people we dislike and there are misgivings about the campaign that have left us largely devoid of inspiration. In short, it feels less like taking a stand and more like making a compromised and conflicted decision.

But actually, making that comprised, conflicted, unsatisfying decision is taking a stand and that, i think, is the whole point.

So there you are.

Sorry its a bit late in the day, i find phrasing this sort of stuff deeply fiddly.

Good luck everyone.

GOODBYE FOREVER.
* - In fact I've already done it. Did it ages ago. In a special envelope
** - We actually have cards, they get you discounts on a subscription to the Gaurdian and free entry into Stringfellows.
*** -https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_recluses
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
TR'sGhost
Minister of State

Post by TR'sGhost »

JonnyT1234 wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:
JonnyT1234 wrote:I have to say I'm not feeling very confident about Leave's chances in this referendum. Apparently writing BREXIT! on your ballot invalidates the vote. Who knew?
SET MY PEOPLE FREE BORIS! apparently doesn't work either
Say it loud, say it proud. Preferably several times on your ballot paper. In ink. Don't forget to do it in ink.
And, don't forget, that's got to be green ink people, GREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm getting tired of calming down....
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Alan Sharratt @alshaz

#usepens I took my portable laminator with me that'll stop them tampering with my vote, try and rub that out.
8:14 PM - 23 Jun 2016 (Politics Live, Guardian)

17 17 Retweets
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor

Post by mbc1955 »

Not that it has anything to do with the referendum, except perhaps as a good omen, but I won my eBay item, only bidder!
The truth ferret speaks!
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 45m45 minutes ago

Use this specially designed referendum widget to follow events as they unfold via @robertoroblesf

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index. ... ey-unfold/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;