Thursday 23rd June 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Re: Thursday 23rd June 2016

Post by ephemerid »

Right!

Little Greek snacks and dips all ready; made some tapenade to spread on toasted baguette, strawberry granita done, nice little fruit cake made, tea in the pot, coffee on the hob - we're all set!

Dig in. You have to bring your own alcopops - we don't have 'em in here.

I'm only allowed the coffee and granita today. Bummer. Still, I can get a bit whizzy on the Co-Codamol.......

Knowing us, Show will fall asleep in his chair and wake himself up periodically with the snoring; and I'll be pratting about online till I get bored then I'll be off to bed with the Arne Dahl I got from the library.

We know how to live, eh? All very rock'n'roll.

Hope those of you who stay up all night don't wear yourselves out.
Those who don't and/or are poorly, have a good night.

xxxx
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

mbc1955 wrote:Not that it has anything to do with the referendum, except perhaps as a good omen, but I won my eBay item, only bidder!
I want to know what it was. I can't be the only one.

I've been after a proper satchel/man-bag type thing for ages. A friend told me she had an old one, which I was welcome to. It was old, cracked, damp, and a bit smelly, having been in the cellar for ever.
It has taken a week of cleaning it out with vinegar and soda; treating the leather with linseed oil and dubbin; and it now looks absolutely fantastic. Big, roomy, lots of compartments, and exactly what I'd had in mind. Thank you Lydia!

It's got a label, Tusting (which I've never heard of before) so I looked it up. A new one would set me back £400 - which I could never afford. Not quite as expensive as SamCam's little shopette, but still a lot of money. Chuffed, I am.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Rupert is giving The Times away tomorrow
Times .jpg
Times .jpg (49.46 KiB) Viewed 6728 times
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

ephemerid wrote:
mbc1955 wrote:Not that it has anything to do with the referendum, except perhaps as a good omen, but I won my eBay item, only bidder!

I've been after a proper satchel/man-bag type thing for ages. A friend told me she had an old one, which I was welcome to. It was old, cracked, damp, and a bit smelly, having been in the cellar for ever.
It has taken a week of cleaning it out with vinegar and soda; treating the leather with linseed oil and dubbin; and it now looks absolutely fantastic. Big, roomy, lots of compartments, and exactly what I'd had in mind. Thank you Lydia!

It's got a label, Tusting (which I've never heard of before) so I looked it up. A new one would set me back £400 - which I could never afford. Not quite as expensive as SamCam's little shopette, but still a lot of money. Chuffed, I am.
The complete Volume 3 of the 'Eagle', all 52 issues, published 1952/53, in good and intact condition. Given the general age of many of the contributors here, I wasn't going to give that detail in advance, in case a fellow collector suddenly went after them too!
The truth ferret speaks!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:
Alan Sharratt @alshaz

#usepens I took my portable laminator with me that'll stop them tampering with my vote, try and rub that out.
8:14 PM - 23 Jun 2016 (Politics Live, Guardian)

17 17 Retweets
Mr citizen and I now have the giggles, thank you very much
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

mbc1955 wrote:
ephemerid wrote:

The complete Volume 3 of the 'Eagle', all 52 issues, published 1952/53, in good and intact condition. Given the general age of many of the contributors here, I wasn't going to give that detail in advance, in case a fellow collector suddenly went after them too!
Nah. I was a Beano and Dandy fan.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Owen Jones ‏@OwenJones84 11h11 hours ago

Don't let this get buried: Michael Fallon is paying damages to the imam he smeared as an ISIS supporter: http://www.michaelfallon.org.uk/?p=1257" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

mbc1955 wrote:
ephemerid wrote:

How lovely!
Well done.

Off for a rest now - may be back later.

Be good, now.
Maeght
Committee Chair

Post by Maeght »

danesclose wrote:Good evening all. Just back from a training course in Cambridge. Was worried I wouldn't be back in time to vote, so managed to get my wife to vote by proxy for me.
Picked up the following email from comedian Daniel Kitson (whom I mentioned on here a couple of days ago.)
Hello.

So, perhaps predictably, I am voting to remain in Europe* and I think you should too.

If you have no interest in my views on this, or don't live in the UK, or both, then you should probably stop reading now. I'll be back in touch tomorrow with one of my cool marketing emails about shows coming up in New York and various other bits and pieces about my powerful art and beautiful craft. Okay?

Still here?

Okay.

For just under two weeks, I've had a wonky red poster in my front room window urging passers by to vote remain. Doing my bit to get the word out. The only problem being that i live on a cul de sac and the passers by are largely limited to my neighbours, a vocal cluster of randy foxes and the occasional man from newcastle selling fish for the freezer.

I had the poster for quite a while before i put it up, it arrived from the labour party along with a reminder to pay my membership fees and for a few weeks it sat in the front room on the table. Folded up. The truth is that I was too embarrassed and frightened to put it up. I was embarrassed by the campaign to remain and i was frightened by the campaign to leave. I felt very much like everything was lurching towards something terrible and misguided and driven by the reckless, sometimes racist, rhetoric of the Campaign to leave and not being effectively opposed by a Remain campaign that was hamstrung by the complex pragmatism of its enthusiasm for Europe.

Now, I understand that it may seem insufficient to cite the mendacity and duplicity of the leave campaign as a reason for voting to Remain. But to witness the out and out lies being told, the concerted muddying of statistical water and the denigration of independent expert research has been thoroughly depressing. Watching Boris Johnson and Michael Gove acquire a sudden interest in the disenfranchised and manipulating other peoples anger and frustration in order to advance their own personal and political ambitions, happily appropriating UKIP slogans, welcoming their supporters and obviously, from time to time sanctimoniously denouncing the dog whistle horrors they secretly hope will hand them victory,

However, of course, no one wants to vote for option A just because option B is entirely populated by terrible, sickening, self interested shit bags. It's not inspiring and it doesn't make you feel like a hero, doing the right thing and taking a brave stand against the baddies. Besides, the Remain campaign has had more than its fair share of grim turnips trotting out twaddle. Not least, the prime minister, being both unable and unwilling to acknowledge that the main problems exploited by the leave campaign (lack of housing, struggling public services, low wages) were not the fault of the EU or immigration but his own Tory government and their utterly idealogical austerity politics and that actually the EU has not only provided access to a free market with the facile benefits of cheaper flights and affordable holidays and lack of roaming charges but also brought forward vital legislation on workers rights and protection from discrimination and parental leave and sickness rights and equal pay and environmental standards and human rights.

So I'm not voting Remain, simply or even mainly, in order to take a stand against Nigel Farage, Boris Jonson and Michael Gove with their courageous, privately educated, independently wealthy and media dominating underdog campaign against the establishment. I am voting Remain because Europe, at its core is about consensus and compromise and cooperation. Three things which whilst undeniably nauseating to talk about are, gallingly, in almost every situation the best or only way to find a solution.

I've gone back and forth on whether telling you this was a good thing to do what with me being a card carrying** member of the metropolitan elite tooting my opinion horn into what is, largely if not entirely, the self congratulatory echo chamber of my own mailing list. Especially since, for me, two of the lowest points of the campaign were watching Eddie Izzard on Question Time and Bob Geldoff on the Thames, seeing their failure to understand how their, doubtless well meaning, involvement was only galvanising the campaign to leave and very much playing into the idea that rich, famous people, whilst happily ensconced in their own privilege were telling the disenfranchised how to vote in order to preserve their celebrity lifestyle.

That shouldn't be the case here though, because two weeks ago I couldn't afford to buy an oreo cornetto and of course am not a celebrity. I am a known recluse.***

So the reason i have told you, is the same reason I eventually put my poster up. I was walking to meet a friend in crystal palace, where i live. I'd driven to wales the previous day and saw endless vote leave billboards in the fields lining the motorways, i'd seen placards stapled to lamp posts in the village i'm from and It had been a typically saddening day on the news, full of claims and counterclaims and falsehoods and floundering and i felt worried, deeply worried that it was over, that we were going to leave Europe. I was lost in my thoughts and isolate in my worry when I saw a little A3 Remain poster, the first one i'd seen in the whole campaign. In a shop window. A toy shop. A small Independent toy shop. And seeing that gave me such disproportionate cheer, it was incredible, It reminded me that i was not alone in my beliefs and that they weren't actually the disconnected, self involved beliefs of the liberal, metropolitan elite. They were the complicated, compromised, hopeful and optimistic beliefs of lots of people. People In all walks of life, in all sorts of areas of the country, who for all sorts of reasons rejected the implicit and explicit separatism of the leave campaign.

So i went home and put the poster up to change the minds of the foxes and the fish man.

I feel like a lot of people voting Remain aren't really banging on about it. Probably, i think, because we aren't entirely satisfied with the decision we've had to make. There are issues around Europe that we feel unhappy with, there are implicit agreements with people we dislike and there are misgivings about the campaign that have left us largely devoid of inspiration. In short, it feels less like taking a stand and more like making a compromised and conflicted decision.

But actually, making that comprised, conflicted, unsatisfying decision is taking a stand and that, i think, is the whole point.

So there you are.

Sorry its a bit late in the day, i find phrasing this sort of stuff deeply fiddly.

Good luck everyone.

Thank you so much for this. Absolutely fantastic. And am repeating the phrase ' grim turnips trotting out twaddle' in the hope I remember it because it is sublime.

GOODBYE FOREVER.
* - In fact I've already done it. Did it ages ago. In a special envelope
** - We actually have cards, they get you discounts on a subscription to the Gaurdian and free entry into Stringfellows.
*** -https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_recluses
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

55DegreesNorth wrote:
JonnyT1234 wrote:
mbc1955 wrote: Confidence is everything, guys, but let's not going tempting fate until the votes are counted. No hubris.
Don't deny me my usual election night pattern of light-headed, hopeful expectancy followed by crushing "oh no" disappointment at having backed the losing side again, again. It's become a recurring tradition for me. Perhaps I should stop voting for the Greens. ;)
Try supporting the Toon. Crushing disappointment is a way of life.
They're my 2nd team, so-to-speak. My first is Liverpool. I suffer double the crushing disappointment as a consequence.

Joke of the day for you: first results of the night are expecting to show people voting to Leave, Sunderland... And who can blame them, eh?
Donald Trump: Making America Hate Again
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

ohsocynical wrote:Someone must have asked why they don't provide pens instead of pencils...

James O'Brien ‏@mrjamesob 37m37 minutes ago
You can't sharpen biros, you can't tell whether one works just by looking & they often dry out if unused for years. It's that bloody simple.
Democracy was only ever the least worst option. If half of your electorate have been ... somethinged.. what is it then?
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Mohammed Ansar ‏@MoAnsar 5h5 hours ago

Threats reported from EDL and far right groups if Leave lose tonight. Which they will. Stand strong in communities.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Hooray for Toby Latimer
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

Apologies if this has been posted, but Das Bild (the German equivalent of "The Sun" apparently) posted the following on its front page today:

Dear Britain, if you stay in the EU...
We will acknowledge the Wembley goal.
We won't make any more jokes about Prince Charles' ears.
We won't wear sun cream on the beach in solidarity with your sunburn.
We will go without our goalkeeper at the next penalty shootout to make it more exciting.
We will introduce tea time, with buckets on the beaches of Majorca.
We will willingly provide the villain in every Bond film.
We'll start "ticking" like you and put our clocks back by an hour.
We'll put through an EU directive which forbids foam on our beer.
We'll reserve sun loungers around the pool for you with our towels.
Jogi Löw will guard your crown jewels.
We will come to your Queen's 100th birthday."
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I'll be popping in and out (as I do anyway - but more so) as I'll try to get a bit of sleep before the results start coming in. Hope I manage to come back later tonight\early tomorrow morning.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

danesclose wrote: We will go without our goalkeeper at the next penalty shootout to make it more exciting.
Assuming they mean England, we'd still manage to lose.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Have had an idea. Everyone who at heart finds the concept of a shared world a threatening concept (given we are a social species) can go pioneer extreme selfishness in a different galaxy leaving the rest of us can get on with it here.

Win: Win
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

So, what price UKIP?

I said a long time ago that they're effectively dead whichever way the vote goes. People must realise this is a once in a lifetime vote - what's their purpose if (i) Leave win and they've got their wish or (ii) we Remain and they have no chance of getting what they want?

Thoughts?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Dimbelby has started droning on. Whatever happens tonight, we have to change how we do politics.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Who remembers just before the polls closed in 2015? Hearts in mouth and hopeful that Ed could pull it off.

This feels so different...
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

...and thanks be that it's all over bar the singing. May I never, ever, ever have to participate in a referendum again. Unless it's on PR and reform of Parliament to make it democratic. And even then, I'd rather the government of the day just had the balls to say, "it was in our manifesto, we won the election with a suitably large enough mandate and % of the votes, we're doing this."
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Farage:"Looks like Remain will edge it UKIP are going nowhere"
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

RogerOThornhill wrote:So, what price UKIP?

I said a long time ago that they're effectively dead whichever way the vote goes. People must realise this is a once in a lifetime vote - what's their purpose if (i) Leave win and they've got their wish or (ii) we Remain and they have no chance of getting what they want?

Thoughts?
If it's remain, they'll still have their cushy MEP jobs, which they don't bother to turn up to ... I doubt you'll hear them sobbing into their cornflakes.

I live in hopes that one day the British public will realise that electing UKIP MEPs that don't believe in the institution they're working for is a daft idea.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

You Gov. 52/48
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

JonnyT1234 wrote:...and thanks be that it's all over bar the singing. May I never, ever, ever have to participate in a referendum again. Unless it's on PR and reform of Parliament to make it democratic. And even then, I'd rather the government of the day just had the balls to say, "it was in our manifesto, we won the election with a suitably large enough mandate and % of the votes, we're doing this."
Hear, hear.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

Evening all.
Well,thank the lord it's over.
I am now going to get to bed,once I've sorted the pets out,good luck to anybody staying up for the results.
6a.m and I shall make coffee and read the results on ftn.
Some people seem to think that remain have won the day,but I shall just wait and see.And not even hope.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

UK Politics Live ‏@UKPoliticsLive 8m8 minutes ago
Breaking: YouGov predicting the UK will Remain in the EU, but by a VERY small margin. 52%-48%
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:So, what price UKIP?

Thoughts?
Boris Johnson takes over from Farage. Tory Party rends itself in half. The Lib Dems win in 2020.*

* One of those opinions may not be true.
Last edited by JonnyT1234 on Thu 23 Jun, 2016 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

I'm still not ruling out my nightmare scenario of a Remain vote but England votes Leave :-s
fedup59
Committee Member

Post by fedup59 »

The die is cast

Alien watch at the ready
Rubber watch active (the Johnny squad?)
Van patrol active

I think I want to cry when the spirit of dad's army is so abused.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:UK Politics Live ‏@UKPoliticsLive 8m8 minutes ago
Breaking: YouGov predicting the UK will Remain in the EU, but by a VERY small margin. 52%-48%
If this prediction turns out to be accurate, good old Dave. the man who broke Britain in half. Literally.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor

Post by mbc1955 »

Ok, home from work, all over bar the shouting.

An episode of 'Person of Interest'. Alarm set for 6.00am, with fingers crossed. First counseling session at 10.00am so of course bags of paranoia about getting there on time.

Thank you everyone for helping me get through the day.
The truth ferret speaks!
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

HindleA wrote:You Gov. 52/48
J thinging C 52/48 what?
(apologies for "enthusiasm")
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I wonder how many vans carrying the votes to be counted are being tailed by suspicious voters?

I have this mental picture of people lurking behind bushes taking photos on their phones.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

I haven't switched the TV on yet. Any recommendations on whether Dimbledrone or Pestilence is the better of the two options on offer? Or are channel 4 doing something?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

:roll:

Apart from the many experts (wait, they don't like them!) who said it was madness.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

JonnyT1234 wrote:I haven't switched the TV on yet. Any recommendations on whether Dimbledrone or Pestilence is the better of the two options on offer? Or are channel 4 doing something?
No idea. I'm not going to watch TV. They'll be sure to have smug politicians on, and my language gets so bad, Mr Ohso dissuades me from watching.
I might sit in bed with my computer for an hour or so, but I have to go out tomorrow morning so I can't be too late getting to sleep.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

JonnyT1234 wrote:I haven't switched the TV on yet. Any recommendations on whether Dimbledrone or Pestilence is the better of the two options on offer? Or are channel 4 doing something?
I have Dimbleby on with the sound off.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Have had an idea. Everyone who at heart finds the concept of a shared world a threatening concept (given we are a social species) can go pioneer extreme selfishness in a different galaxy leaving the rest of us can get on with it here.

Whoa, whoa...it's not right to foist uncooperative life forms onto another galaxy.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

52 48? Personally that'd be the dream result. Internal pressure stays on Cameron, Gove dumped.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Leave Tories in desperate bid to save their own skins by crawling to the PM...

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
Very wise. Do you have the cricket on the radio instead ;)

Hopes and aspirations following the result:

1. Remain wins by 10 points but not by too much more than that
2. Begrudging remain vote leads to the fall of Cameron and infighting so bad in the Tory Party, an election is forced
3. Labour under Corbyn wins
4. Farage fails to win a seat again. At long last burgers off into oblivion. For real this time.
5. Result triggers demands for greater, socially democratic reforms of the EU. And they actually happen.
6. Neoliberalism across Europe is put back into its box, and for good.

Edited to add the quote wot I forgot.
Last edited by JonnyT1234 on Thu 23 Jun, 2016 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
Sounds better :D
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

citizenJA wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:Have had an idea. Everyone who at heart finds the concept of a shared world a threatening concept (given we are a social species) can go pioneer extreme selfishness in a different galaxy leaving the rest of us can get on with it here.

Whoa, whoa...it's not right to foist uncooperative life forms onto another galaxy.
Many apologies. You are right. And yet consistently more pleasant (in a good way) than I will ever be.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

StephenDolan wrote:52 48? Personally that'd be the dream result. Internal pressure stays on Cameron, Gove dumped.
Yes - it would be helpful then if Wes Streeting would naff off

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1332584/j ... -election/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jeremy-corbyns-hapless-eu-referendum-campaign-cited-as-proof-he-wouldnt-win-a-general-election
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Which side is Baroness Warsi on? ;-)
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

HindleA wrote:Farage:"Looks like Remain will edge it UKIP are going nowhere"
Farage is throwing in the towel rather early. I've often wondered if he really wants to leave. He's got a very cushy number going, taking money as an MEP for doing nothing, whilst stealing votes off Labour to help keep the Tories in power. Win, win. Actually leaving the EU would stuff all that up, not least the possibility of right wingers voting Ukip in the same numbers as left wingers in a GE because they can't be bought by a Tory leader offering an EU referendum anymore, and thus letting a Labour government in. In fact, hang on a minute, won't that happen anyway, even if it's remain?!!! Or is that what Bozo's for? To pose as a thwarted "outer" who's on their side?
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor

Post by mbc1955 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Image

:roll:

Apart from the many experts (wait, they don't like them!) who said it was madness.
Somebody's expecting to be beaten then. The moment the words 'Moral Victory' come out, you know you're dealing with a sore loser who doesn't understand what winning is about.

Please let their unease be justified.
The truth ferret speaks!
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

JonnyT1234 wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:
Very wise. Do you have the cricket on the radio instead ;)

Hopes and aspirations following the result:

1. Remain wins by 10 points but not by too much more than that
2. Begrudging remain vote leads to the fall of Cameron and infighting so bad in the Tory Party, an election is forced
3. Labour under Corbyn wins
4. Farage fails to win a seat again. At long last burgers off into oblivion. For real this time.
5. Result triggers demands for greater, socially democratic reforms of the EU. And they actually happen.
6. Neoliberalism across Europe is put back into its box, and for good.

Edited to add the quote wot I forgot.
Ah! Marvellous. I would like to thank Mrs xxx from xxx for her excellent cake.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Hamish Mackintosh ‏@McBuddah 2h2 hours ago

Tomorrow we return to hounding the fraudulent Tories who didn't actually have a mandate to call this ridiculous, divisive bullshit #remain