Monday 27th June 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 27th June 2016

Post by PorFavor »

Rebecca wrote:
PorFavor wrote:I'd have more time for Jeremy Corbyn if he ploughed on and came out with something positive on the EU debacle. And put up a fight (on the mess we're in and on the leadership front). Instead we've got what to me seems like a mulish refusal to engage with anything.
Blimey.
He has been fighting his own bloody party for the last couple of days and trying to forge a new shadow cabinet.
No wonder you don't like him,you want superman.Flying to rescue the country whilst fighting for his life against the people who should be standing with him.
So it's all his fault,and not those poor innocents of the plp who would love to be calling the (lack of)government to account,and working in a team to 'come out with something positive on the EU debacle',but they are just so busy taking turns to be interviewed on how dreadful it is to force themselves to plan a coup against their leader?

I cannot begin to understand your reasoning.Unless you really do expect a superman.

I haven't noticed him "fighting" anybody or anything.

Edited to put my reply in the right place (it got embedded in your post).
Last edited by PorFavor on Mon 27 Jun, 2016 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

The referendum. It's result. It's consequences.

This was a Cameron, Osborne, Johnson, Farage disaster. They own it, before, during and after.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Ali Johnson ‏@ali_faceache1 32m32 minutes ago
Ali Johnson Retweeted Michelle

He may not be the style of leader they like, but it's what he stands for that made the membership select him

Simple concise and true.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

HindleA wrote:Looks like October 12th for GE.
What makes you say that?
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Youth Hostelling with Chris Eubank?
Knowing M.E. Knowing You?

Monkey Tennis?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

ohsocynical wrote:Ali Johnson ‏@ali_faceache1 32m32 minutes ago

He may not be the style of leader they like, but it's what he stands for that made the membership select him

Simple concise and true.
But I'm membership, too. And I didn't select him. Although I have been prepared to support him up to now.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I suggest "The Ranting and Swearing Until You Get Your Own Way" Party.

Definately a lot of potential support.

A bit of a mouthful ,maybe needs shortening. Tt
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

NonOxCol wrote:

Monkey Tennis?
Egads. And journalists have the gall to say MPs are out of touch with the real world. That suggestion is flat out bonkers.

Edit:
Tweeting in a personal capacity
Yep, even the Daily Hate would be terminally embarrassed by what Oakeshott just wrote there.
Last edited by JonnyT1234 on Mon 27 Jun, 2016 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Donald Trump: Making America Hate Again
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

StephenDolan wrote:The referendum. It's result. It's consequences.

This was a Cameron, Osborne, Johnson, Farage disaster. They own it, before, during and after.

Before and during - ok. But I dispute the "after". We should be trying to make the "after" Labour's.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:I'd have more time for Jeremy Corbyn if he ploughed on and came out with something positive on the EU debacle. And put up a fight (on the mess we're in and on the leadership front). Instead we've got what to me seems like a mulish refusal to engage with anything.

They've not given him much time to sort out something about the EU debacle. He's been fighting off the PLP, and is still having to do so, which is what's making me so angry. And all the media will be interviewing snivelling MPs and not tackling what's important.

He wanted to get on with it. Some hopes.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Well, apparently this is real. And having seen Banks on Twitter yesterday, I can believe it.

Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

PorFavor wrote:
Rebecca wrote:
Blimey.
He has been fighting his own bloody party for the last couple of days and trying to forge a new shadow cabinet.
No wonder you don't like him,you want superman.Flying to rescue the country whilst fighting for his life against the people who should be standing with him.
So it's all his fault,and not those poor innocents of the plp who would love to be calling the (lack of)government to account,and working in a team to 'come out with something positive on the EU debacle',but they are just so busy taking turns to be interviewed on how dreadful it is to force themselves to plan a coup against their leader?

I cannot begin to understand your reasoning.Unless you really do expect a superman.

I haven't noticed him "fighting" anybody or anything.

Edited to put my reply in the right place (it got embedded in your post).

Because he doesn't do everything in front of the media?
Do you really think he's been doing the crossword/?
Oh never mind.I give up.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

HindleA wrote:I suggest "The Ranting and Swearing Until You Get Your Own Way" Party.

I would like an honorary position please.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

PorFavor wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Ali Johnson ‏@ali_faceache1 32m32 minutes ago

Simple concise and true.
But I'm membership, too. And I didn't select him. Although I have been prepared to support him up to now.
What does this mean? You were in a minority in that though

Some vote Monster Raving Loony or Liz Kendall as well.

He was democratically elected by party members and will be unelected by the PLP

As said above.....who is the party?
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

Very good article http://www.versobooks.com/blogs/2728-th ... party-back" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fedup59
Committee Member

Post by fedup59 »

Temulkar wrote:
fedup59 wrote:Sad day

The death of the Labour our movement.

I don't feel sorry for any of agonised but for the good of the party/ country people. I've spent decades accepting arguments that tinkering with the edges of rampant capitalism was the way to go. Didn't agree but lived with what we could get post Thatcher, only to see all those sneeked in, minimalist protections upended by the coalition and now the Tories. Not one of these fuckers has a mandate from me. I actually stuck with the party even after Iraq which I marched against but I'm done now.

So this extremely used and bedraggled activist seeks a new home.
As a green (but former labour bod) I woudl say wait till the leadership contest if one comes, if it doesnt then.... Otherwise you will be welcomed in the Green party.
You're right Tem, I also like Rebecca's thoughts about momentum. Daughter and son-in-law joined the greens after ed m resigned as Labour leader and while I rate some of the greens here there are some localised issues that I find a bit off putting while I find thoughts of a momentum (with possible green alliance?) Intriguing. As to splitting the left the media seems to think it's its role to stymy any possible alternatives to the status quo.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Mr Ohso has just corrected me about the exchange rate back in the early sixties.

I was way out. :? It was around $2.87 to the pound. :roll:
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

A bit like the PM & Chancellor then? Has anyone heard from Cameron since Friday's sulk
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

PorFavor wrote:

Before and during - ok. But I dispute the "after". We should be trying to make the "after" Labour's.
Unfortunately, it's now going to take Labour 2 to 3 months of navel gazing to even start thinking about the 'after'. Well done PLP.

You'd think that after 2010 and 2015 and the vacuum they left in the mediasphere policy- and opposition against the government-wise would have taught them a valuable lesson by now. But... nope, it's let's pick a new leader time again.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

NonOxCol wrote:

Monkey Tennis?
Didn't you know that since Friday's result, Chris Eubank is now Chris Bank
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

danesclose wrote:
A bit like the PM & Chancellor then? Has anyone heard from Cameron since Friday's sulk

Yes - very much like the PM and the Chancellor. Not a good look, though.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

ohsocynical wrote:
HindleA wrote:I suggest "The Ranting and Swearing Until You Get Your Own Way" Party.

Would you like to join my "The Ranting and Swearing Until You Fail To Get Your Own Way" party instead? I've had a 100% success rate so far.
Last edited by JonnyT1234 on Mon 27 Jun, 2016 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

PorFavor wrote:
danesclose wrote:

Yes - very much like the PM and the Chancellor. Not a good look, though.
Difference is, they are supposed to be running the country
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

http://www.versobooks.com/blogs/2728-th ... party-back

This is not the first time that members of the Labour Right have gone out of their way to sabotage their own party. There were those, like John Mann MP, who tried to get the leadership election cancelled when it was clear that Corbyn might win it. There were others, like Blair’s former speechwriter Peter Hyman, who spoke openly of splitting to form a new SDP when he did win. Even talking like this betrayed a certain panic: one doesn’t, in the context of the Labour Party, lightly invoke the failed experiment that according to party folk memory handed the Tories three election victories. Former deputy leader John Prescott laid into these ‘Bitterites,’ as he called them, for refusing to accept the leadership outcome and running a campaign of sabotage intended to wreck Labour’s chances. And sure enough, in the run up to London’s mayoral contest, MPs were privately briefing that they didn’t want Sadiq Khan — someone very much not from the Corbyn wing of the party — to win, lest it bolster Corbyn’s leadership position. Although they have often claimed to be worried about Corbyn's electability, their behaviour demonstrates that their major worry is that Corbyn might win, rather than that he can’t.
Thanks for that Tem. I was struck by this paragraph. It seems to verify what we've been saying. That this coup isn't just a sudden thing. So many things have been happening a lot of their shenanigans get forgotten.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

JonnyT1234 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

Would you like to join my "The Ranting and Swearing Until You Fail To Get Your Own Way" party instead? I've had a 100% success rate so far.
Yes please. It's always good to hedge your bets. :rock:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

danesclose wrote:
NonOxCol wrote:

Monkey Tennis?
Didn't you know that since Friday's result, Chris Eubank is now Chris Bank
Boom, boom.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

Taken from someone on facebook

We live in a broken democracy. Millions of people throughout the country feel they have no voice. They are sick of the Westminster elite and their duck-moats and their second-home-flipping and their same-but-slightly-different representation in the commons: "We're all in it together" means for a large part politicians are in it together with media moguls and big business to make as much money out of the system as they can.

People have had enough. It is no surprise that people came out in their droves who normally don't bother voting to have their say last Thursday. It is no surprise that for many "Leave" was the only option they believed they had to change the system.

It is also no surprise that the day Google went crazy over Jeremy Corbyn was the day the PLP abstained on the Welfare Bill. People have well and truly had it up to their eyes with the same old politics.

The establishment is terrified because austerity works very nicely, thank you very much, for the elite. It keeps interest rates low on their mortgages; it keeps the cost of labour low for their businesses; it keeps their cleaners and gardeners cheap; it means they can buy up public assets at cut-rate prices and make a killing on the stock exchange - all of this with the aid of their friends in Parliament. In return MPs can expect a "nice little earner" the day they step down or lose their seat, and are given seats on various boards to keep them onside in the meantime.

The Old Guard will not relinquish the reins of power without a fight, though. And what we see happening in the Party now is a last-ditch attempt to seize control back from the CLP to keep it the way they want it. Why do they have to do this? Because to them a GE win with Jeremy at the helm is unconscionable.

It is unconscionable because Jeremy can't be bought. It is unconscionable because Jeremy wants serious change. It is unconscionable because Jeremy is anti-austerity, anti-cronyism, anti-inequality, anti-war and anti-exploitation.
With a snap-election on the cards, and Labour now neck-and-neck with the Tories in the polls, this is the last chance they have to get him out, and maintain the status quo.

Woe betide them - and the country - if they succeed. We are in unprecedented political times, and uncharted waters. If they succeed in ousting him, there will be the same no-real-choice between the Right and the Far Right. Worse, if we don't have an anti-austerity voice at the negotiation table when Art. 50 is invoked, the negotiations will be all about what is best for big business and their cronies rather than what is for the best for the people of this country in the long-term.

We cannot let this happen.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Yes Johnson, your mandate has nothing at all to do with immigration.

Blind Freddy could have seen this coming. But not Johnson.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

JonnyT1234 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

Unfortunately, it's now going to take Labour 2 to 3 months of navel gazing to even start thinking about the 'after'. Well done PLP.

You'd think that after 2010 and 2015 and the vacuum they left in the mediasphere policy- and opposition against the government-wise would have taught them a valuable lesson by now. But... nope, it's let's pick a new leader time again.
Yesterday I posted that my dad always reckoned Labour had a self destruct button and every so often felt compelled to press it.
I know exactly what he'd be saying now...."Has someone super glued their bloody finger to it?"
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

NonOxCol wrote:Yes Johnson, your mandate has nothing at all to do with immigration.

You shall reap what you sow:
https://twitter.com/DMReporter/status/7 ... 8333795329
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

JonnyT1234 wrote:
NonOxCol wrote:Yes Johnson, your mandate has nothing at all to do with immigration.

You shall reap what you sow:
https://twitter.com/DMReporter/status/7 ... 8333795329
"Get Nigel in to sort it out."

Yes, that's what keeps me awake at night, frankly.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Prime Minister, David Cameron, is to make a statement in the House of Commons on Monday 27 June on the outcome of the EU referendum.

The statement is expected to start at 3.30pm, following the conclusion of Defence Questions.

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/41 ... 3be4680fb4
Live
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

Of course with all of the resignations, Corbyn now has a clear majority in the NEC. That is a very great power indeed in the party, unless things have changed a lot.

Anatoly?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Apparently, the session started at 2.30 pm
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

So. 13th June. Before the Referendum was even run let alone had a result.

Labour rebels hope to topple Jeremy Corbyn in 24-hour blitz after EU referendum

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06 ... litz-afte/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

citizenJA wrote:
Prime Minister, David Cameron, is to make a statement in the House of Commons on Monday 27 June on the outcome of the EU referendum.

The statement is expected to start at 3.30pm, following the conclusion of Defence Questions.

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/41 ... 3be4680fb4
Live
Bet he'll blame it all on Corbyn.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Cameron says the result is not the one he wanted. But he and the cabinet have agreed it must be respected.

He says hate crimes and attacks on foreigners must be stamped out. These people have come here and made a wonderful contribution, he says.
You could almost say that they have "swarmed" here couldn't you. Because that wouldn't incite hate crimes in the least bit.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

He's giving a barnstorming speech!
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

ScreenShot01444.jpg
ScreenShot01444.jpg (31.97 KiB) Viewed 6781 times
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Cameron says a new civil service unit has been set up to prepare for the withdrawal negotiations. It will
be staffed by the brightest and best from Westminster. It will prepare options for the new prime minister.

He says Oliver Letwin is overseeing the process.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/liv ... 303810a19c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yikes.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Corbyn urges Cameron to start exit negotiations now

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/liv ... d83eb4aac7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Yeah. Fucking hilarious. No apology for creating the mess, of course. Shameless, despicable, discredited little arsehole.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Wow
ScreenShot01445.jpg
ScreenShot01445.jpg (65.78 KiB) Viewed 6748 times
ScreenShot01446.jpg
ScreenShot01446.jpg (49.24 KiB) Viewed 6748 times
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Still think Cameron starting with a bloody JOKE about having a "bad day" is worse than anything Corbyn could possibly say.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Caption competition
George-Osborne-reacts.jpg
George-Osborne-reacts.jpg (48.61 KiB) Viewed 6743 times
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

TobyLatimer wrote:Caption competition
Osborne forgets where he put his favourite butt plug this morning...
Maeght
Committee Chair

Post by Maeght »

Temulkar wrote:He's giving a barnstorming speech!
He is just disgraceful. Cannot stop the spiteful remarks - about new Labour MP keeping mobile phone on in case she is asked to be in the SC.

New Unit formed, led by best and brightest? Wonder who they are.

He is just so pleased with himself it isn't true. My contempt is so great I don't know how to express it.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

TobyLatimer wrote:Caption competition
Punishment budget backfires on Osborne.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Temulkar wrote:Of course with all of the resignations, Corbyn now has a clear majority in the NEC. That is a very great power indeed in the party, unless things have changed a lot.

Anatoly?
Yes someone on Twitter pointed out he now has a 'left' cabinet.

Makes me wonder what the rebels were using for brains...
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

TobyLatimer wrote:Wow
ScreenShot01445.jpg
ScreenShot01446.jpg

Corbyn was quite right.