Monday 27th June 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 27th June 2016

Post by yahyah »

The reason I am trying to zone out from it is to avoid kneejerking.
If my laptop had a printer attached I'd have about ten copies of my membership resignation letter printed out by now, and nine of them torn up and in the bin. Fortunately the printer's in the other room.
ScarletGas
Committee Chair

Post by ScarletGas »

I hope I have misunderstood Zoe Williams (although I have watched and listened very carefully twice) who has been on Sky News with the ever present Lady Smug (Isobel Oakeshott)

Apologies if I have got this wrong but I believe she commented that it was "morally wrong" for Corbyn to stay on when the PLP is trying to take the fight to the tories.

Excuse me.Who started all this nonsense. There are many other ways to show your disquiet rather than a wholesale planned and targeted (if you believe Sophie Ridge by the Fabians) public onslaught.This can do nothing for the image of the Labour party as a whole, no matter what your views on the issues involved.. In addition do the views of the members not have a say or are they just a useful adjunct come election time for our illustrious PLP?

Of course Lady Smug,probably off to a farmhouse supper with her neighbour Dave at the weekend, sat smirking and adding the odd barbed comment showing her disdain that we should even be talking about a commoner when should be praising the beloved Dave when he is being (in her words) statesmanlike.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Some fascinating conversations going on on Twitter.

Tonight @Channel4News 7.00pm to 8.30pm Don't miss it! Ninety minutes of 'Britain adrift': amid the worst constitutional crisis in 200 years.

Ian ‏@iancharris 1h1 hour ago Birmingham, England
@jonsnowC4 @Channel4News
for Christ sake Jon let it lie. #Leave won and despite your warnings the Sky hasn't fallen in. @guidofawkes

Louis ‏@El_Squeegio 1h1 hour ago
@iancharris
so apart from the crashing pound, faltering ftse, leave promise backtracking, civil war in Lab&Con + lack of plan it's all fine?

TheShaw2009 ‏@TheShaw2009 1h1 hour ago
@El_Squeegio @iancharris
You forgot increased race crimes, threat of UK breaking up. Shall we go on?

@TheShaw2009 @iancharris
two much shiteness going on to describe in 140 characters

Ian ‏@iancharris 1h1 hour ago
@TheShaw2009 @El_Squeegio
a crisis is when we get blackouts, shops run out of goods, queues at petrol stations. None of those yet.

@TheShaw2009 @El_Squeegio the mess is mostly in the heads of a few in the Westminster bubble. Out in real world it's pretty normal.

Louis ‏@El_Squeegio 56m56 minutes ago
@iancharris @TheShaw2009 just because you've not felt the effects after 4 days doesn't mean you won't: the economy affects everyone mate

Ian ‏@iancharris 53m53 minutes ago
@El_Squeegio @TheShaw2009
they won't happen. If there is a change it will be slow & gradual not fast and uncontrolled.

@iancharris @El_Squeegio
Phew! That's okay then. We can relax until that happens. We are in a mess now and it needs sorting

Bill Cruickshank ‏@BjCruickshank 20m20 minutes ago Scotland, United Kingdom
@jonsnowC4 @135192peter @Channel4News
Scotland is adrift through no fault of its' own. Angus Robertson is right Scotland is staying in EU!

DeniseCouper ‏@GraceBrodie 19m19 minutes ago
@BjCruickshank @jonsnowC4 @135192peter @Channel4News
It is our fault for not voting Yes in 2014 #indyref2

Bill Cruickshank ‏@BjCruickshank 17m17 minutes ago Scotland, United Kingdom
@GraceBrodie @jonsnowC4 @135192peter @Channel4News
You can't blame the 45% who voted #YES but our day is coming soon!
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
fedup59
Committee Member

Post by fedup59 »

PorFavor wrote:
JonnyT1234 wrote:
PorFavor wrote: Ideally, someone with a lot of Jeremy Corbyn's beliefs and values (I'm not sure that he is fully engaged with the concept of the EU in any form and I feel that his comfort zone is stuck largely in the early 1970s) but who is more both more engaged and, frankly, engaging. A close fit would do. I don't want to move further right or centre. Yes, I know - who?
Dennis Skinner ;)
Of course! Why didn't I think of that?
I like corbyn partly because he's never going to set the heather on fire. I really wanted ed for PM but if he couldn't get decent backing from the party stalwarts or honest coverage from the media then I'd rather have a man of principle who just deals with what is (how I see him). The fact that there is no obvious alternative says to me the party needs some stability to work towards it. The sad thing is that those involved in this coup seem to think think that building consensus in the party means doing what they've decided is the right answer.

Like the idea of Dennis though! Keep having this image of davidm holding a banana. Think I'd like to keep corbyn for now, not really a lot of point to a coup without an alternative in the wings.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Sport.

It's everywhere. Show is glued to football on his computer in the bedroom and I am sooooo into the tennis. Djokovic is wonderful.

I want Iceland to win tonight. Football, not tennis. By just being there they have made history - and they make more the further they go.

There's a little video going around (that I can't link to a) because Show didn't tell me where it is and b) because - Luddite, thy name is Ephie)
A little boy got lost amid the throng of Welsh and Northern Irish fans; they held him up, got on their knees en masse, and starting to chant "Stand up if you are his dad" to the tune of "Go west". Brilliant. That's international co-operation, that is. Take note, politicos.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

[quote="citizenJA"]I've no idea what's going on.[/quoteBBB

1An assortment of non Labour members are amassed showing their loyalty to the leader of a Party they aren't a member of.
2.Long term members/MP's are being traitors,automatic Blairites pond life and being told to piss off out of the party by non members,past members of convenience and its my party not anybody elses brave loyalists.

Makes perfect sense really.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

ohsocynical wrote:Some fascinating conversations going on on Twitter.

Tonight @Channel4News 7.00pm to 8.30pm Don't miss it! Ninety minutes of 'Britain adrift': amid the worst constitutional crisis in 200 years.

Ian ‏@iancharris 1h1 hour ago Birmingham, England
@jonsnowC4 @Channel4News
for Christ sake Jon let it lie. #Leave won and despite your warnings the Sky hasn't fallen in. @guidofawkes

@iancharris
so apart from the crashing pound, faltering ftse, leave promise backtracking, civil war in Lab&Con + lack of plan it's all fine?

@El_Squeegio @iancharris
You forgot increased race crimes, threat of UK breaking up. Shall we go on?

@TheShaw2009 @iancharris
two much shiteness going on to describe in 140 characters

a crisis is when we get blackouts, shops run out of goods, queues at petrol stations. None of those yet.

@TheShaw2009 @El_Squeegio the mess is mostly in the heads of a few in the Westminster bubble. Out in real world it's pretty normal.

Louis ‏@El_Squeegio 56m56 minutes ago
@iancharris @TheShaw2009 just because you've not felt the effects after 4 days doesn't mean you won't: the economy affects everyone mate

Ian ‏@iancharris 53m53 minutes ago
@El_Squeegio @TheShaw2009
they won't happen. If there is a change it will be slow & gradual not fast and uncontrolled.

@iancharris @El_Squeegio
Phew! That's okay then. We can relax until that happens. We are in a mess now and it needs sorting

Bill Cruickshank ‏@BjCruickshank 20m20 minutes ago Scotland, United Kingdom
@jonsnowC4 @135192peter @Channel4News
Scotland is adrift through no fault of its' own. Angus Robertson is right Scotland is staying in EU!

DeniseCouper ‏@GraceBrodie 19m19 minutes ago
@BjCruickshank @jonsnowC4 @135192peter @Channel4News
It is our fault for not voting Yes in 2014 #indyref2

Bill Cruickshank ‏@BjCruickshank 17m17 minutes ago Scotland, United Kingdom
@GraceBrodie @jonsnowC4 @135192peter @Channel4News
You can't blame the 45% who voted #YES but our day is coming soon!

Note the "yet".
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

ScarletGas wrote:Nothing to do with the fact he is being sponsored by that bastion of journalistic integrity The Sun of course!
It woz the Sun wot lost it for 'im.
Donald Trump: Making America Hate Again
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Evening all.

Did I miss anything? Saw this.

Paul WaughVerified account
‏@paulwaugh
Don't panic, Britain. We're in safe hands. Oliver Letwin is in charge of Brexit cross-Govt preparations, No10 says. Yes, Oliver Letwin.

:D
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

yahyah wrote:The reason I am trying to zone out from it is to avoid kneejerking.
If my laptop had a printer attached I'd have about ten copies of my membership resignation letter printed out by now, and nine of them torn up and in the bin. Fortunately the printer's in the other room.
Don't resign yet. I think they've ended up having to ask for a leadership election, and Corbyns name will be on it. So that'll be exciting!

Actually one of the good guy MPs has asked members to wait before we do any thing rash. I've been hanging on because if I can vote for him, it's a poke in the eye to the right. If he wins then he still gets my support. If anyone from the right gets in, then as I said, I'm out.

I have read on Twitter that there is a surge in Labour party membership again and people are saying they're doing it in support of Corbyn and so they can vote for him.
Last edited by ohsocynical on Mon 27 Jun, 2016 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

HindleA wrote:
citizenJA wrote:I've no idea what's going on.[/quoteBBB

1An assortment of non Labour members are amassed showing their loyalty to the leader of a Party they aren't a member of.
2.Long term members/MP's are being traitors,automatic Blairites pond life and being told to piss off out of the party by non members,past members of convenience and its my party not anybody elses brave loyalists.

So Hindle, I assume that Corbyn will get beaten when the membership is consulted so then should be okay...must have been mistaken when I thought he walked the election last year

Perhaps you want 'long-term members' to get double votes?

The left had to live through purges in the Blair years and deselections.......
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ephemerid wrote:Sport.

It's everywhere. Show is glued to football on his computer in the bedroom and I am sooooo into the tennis. Djokovic is wonderful.

I want Iceland to win tonight. Football, not tennis. By just being there they have made history - and they make more the further they go.

There's a little video going around (that I can't link to a) because Show didn't tell me where it is and b) because - Luddite, thy name is Ephie)
A little boy got lost amid the throng of Welsh and Northern Irish fans; they held him up, got on their knees en masse, and starting to chant "Stand up if you are his dad" to the tune of "Go west". Brilliant. That's international co-operation, that is. Take note, politicos.
I love you, Ephemerid.
Give my love to your family, please.
:heart:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:

I love you, HindleA.
I hope your parents are well, please give them my love.
You're in my thoughts, sending you coconut key lime cake with tea.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

HindleA wrote:

I wonder who they will vote for come a GE?

Actually there is a bit of a surge in membership again. People are joining Labour so they can support Corbyn.

Up the workers :lol: :lol: :lol:
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Evening all.

‏@paulwaugh
Don't panic, Britain. We're in safe hands. Oliver Letwin is in charge of Brexit cross-Govt preparations, No10 says. Yes, Oliver Letwin.

Could be worse. George Osborne could be in charge of the economy. Bwah hahaha.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

howsillyofme1 wrote: So Hindle, I assume that Corbyn will get beaten when the membership is consulted so then should be okay...must have been mistaken when I thought he walked the election last year

I'm not so convinced Corbyn will win this time, sorry to say. If the PLP do manage to find a credible alternative, Corbyn could lose.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

ohsocynical wrote:More for Boris to answer to.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The worrying thing is, are people still believing what he says?
A cartoon from further down that conversation:
2016-06-27_190030.jpg
2016-06-27_190030.jpg (69.51 KiB) Viewed 6090 times
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Evening all.

‏@paulwaugh

Good-evening, Roger, welcome back. I had a breakdown when I saw that about Letwin in charge.
Oliver Letwin is facilitator for domestic Brexit operations. The man mumbling, 'sorry', last year, unconvincingly,
after documentation from the Thatcher era came off ice outing him as a thoroughly uncooperative, insensitive person.
Last edited by citizenJA on Mon 27 Jun, 2016 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

David Wilcock ✔ @DavidWilcockPA
Tosh McD "I used to get up an hour early to hate Thatcher. Some of current PLP are running her close for how much I hate them."
Admirable.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

JonnyT1234 wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote: So Hindle, I assume that Corbyn will get beaten when the membership is consulted so then should be okay...must have been mistaken when I thought he walked the election last year

I'm not so convinced Corbyn will win this time, sorry to say. If the PLP do manage to find a credible alternative, Corbyn could lose.
Then so be it
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

howsillyofme1 wrote:
HindleA wrote:

So Hindle, I assume that Corbyn will get beaten when the membership is consulted so then should be okay...must have been mistaken when I thought he walked the election last year

But,don't you think it's very dedicated of Hindle to go to the rally and check who everybody voted for?
Good work H,got some pictures too?
Like,here's one of Jason,doesn't vote Labour but caught the train to London to support Jeremy Corbyn.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:
HindleA wrote:

I wonder who they will vote for come a GE?

Actually there is a bit of a surge in membership again. People are joining Labour so they can support Corbyn.

Up the workers :lol: :lol: :lol:
I love you, Ohso.
:heart:

Thank you for your continued patience with me.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

JonnyT1234 wrote: I'm not so convinced Corbyn will win this time, sorry to say. If the PLP do manage to find a credible alternative, Corbyn could lose.
If being the key word. IF there is such a superman/superwoman candidate out there, why does no-one know who he/she is?

One thing's for certain, Lisa Nandy isn't that person.
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

howsillyofme1 wrote:
JonnyT1234 wrote:

Then so be it
Well, I did say credible alternative. Still don't know who that is or where they've been hiding all this time.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

howsillyofme1 wrote:
JonnyT1234 wrote:

Then so be it
Lisa Nandy. Ashamed to say her name has never penetrated my brain. In fact, I don't have a clue who she is, except she must have mush for brains for letting herself become so involved.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

danesclose wrote:
JonnyT1234 wrote: I'm not so convinced Corbyn will win this time, sorry to say. If the PLP do manage to find a credible alternative, Corbyn could lose.
If being the key word. IF there is such a superman/superwoman candidate out there, why does no-one know who he/she is?

Is Nandy aware she's standing as a Labour leader candidate? I think it's fair to let her know. Or not. It's fine.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

I haven't followed this afternoon fully but gather that, other than Ken Clarke, our parliamentarians have simply acquiesced to the plebiscite results of a lame duck Prime Minister's abrogation of duty. Best deal for this, best deal for that negotiating our exit rather than stop it in its tracks. No confidence in government and an immediate GE otherwise we have a Tory party appointed PM.

Current agreements withstanding, the clock is already ticking with or without invoking Article 50 unless we can demonstrate that it shall not be called. Cameron meanwhile gets off lightly and shall walk away with ne'er a glance behind him.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
Bonnylad
Committee Member

Post by Bonnylad »

S and P downgrade credit rating to AA.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

citizenJA wrote:
danesclose wrote:

Is Nandy aware she's standing as a Labour leader candidate? I think it's fair to let her know. Or not. It's fine.
Her name has come up.....The only one at present.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

JonnyT1234 wrote:

Then so be it.But far better to lose in a democratic election than be ousted in an orchestrated coup,don't you think?
That's what democrasy is about innit?
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

JonnyT1234 wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:
Then so be it
Well, I did say credible alternative. Still don't know who that is or where they've been hiding all this time.

I am not slavishly supporting Corbyn in any way.

What I think is that the blame for the referendum does not sit with him - many people are culpable including some who are criticising him today but primarily our PM

I think that what has happened in the last couple of days has been nothing less than disgraceful and, in my eyes, has been coordinated and inept

There has been no credible suggestion for someone who can replace him and continue taking the Labour on a path of anti-austerity and anti-neoliberalism

If someone like that is there who can win the election against Corbyn then fantastic....just not seen any evidence of it
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

They also warned that foreign firms are less likely to invest in the UK and the sterling could also lose its role as a global reserve currency
graun live
still not convinced that doing this is honourable.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

HindleA wrote:Tory leader by 2nd September.
I assume whoever is selected will be attacked in the same way Brown was, for being " the PM no-one voted for"?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Rachael ‏@Rachael_Swindon 8m8 minutes ago
Evening @OwenSmith_MP I thought you understood hardship? Yet a couple of years back you claimed £934.76 for gas & electric on your 2nd home?
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Rebecca wrote:Then so be it.But far better to lose in a democratic election than be ousted in an orchestrated coup,don't you think?
True, but the bigger problem in my opinion is what could happen should Corbyn win.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
They also warned that foreign firms are less likely to invest in the UK and the sterling could also lose its role as a global reserve currency
graun live
still not convinced that doing this is honourable.
Is there anything or anyone in politics or banking that is honorable these days?. I think that word is set to disappear from the dictionaries.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

JonnyT1234 wrote:
Rebecca wrote:Then so be it.But far better to lose in a democratic election than be ousted in an orchestrated coup,don't you think?
True, but the bigger problem in my opinion is what could happen should Corbyn win.

They should have thought of that before they launched this inept coup
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

howsillyofme1 wrote:
JonnyT1234 wrote:

They should have thought of that before they launched this inept coup
Well, quite.

Ah, Labour Party, bless your little incompetent cotton socks, you lovable sometime party of the left.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

JonnyT1234 wrote:
I honestly think he's a steady pair of hands. He's not going to steer us over the cliff. We should be directing our worries at those bloody Conservatives. They're already doing their, trust us, nothing to see here, move along. .... God help us.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

Feeling better now.
Chardonnay.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Higher education faces the challenge of making it clear to overseas students that the UK is still a vibrant, tolerant and open country in spite of the vote to leave the EU, the principal of one of Europe’s leading conservatoires has said.
http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... a-students" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Trouble is, no-one's going to believe it.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Rebecca wrote:Feeling better now.
Chardonnay.

Ooooh...Envy emotion.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/bre ... 05561.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BREXIT. Taking the Great out of Britain.
Oh - and the Britain.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
Higher education faces the challenge of making it clear to overseas students that the UK is still a vibrant, tolerant and open country in spite of the vote to leave the EU, the principal of one of Europe’s leading conservatoires has said.
http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... a-students" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Trouble is, no-one's going to believe it.
Why would they? It's not true.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

ohsocynical wrote:
Rebecca wrote:Feeling better now.
Chardonnay.

Ooooh...Envy emotion.
I am settled with a small vermouth.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Politicians responsible for explaining what's at stake have admitted they may have fudged some of the consequences.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 05481.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm still not convinced that going through with this is honourable.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Just seen an ex-member of SC (don't know who it was) saying that he was for an argument against Free Movement - how does that work with all these people whp are keen on remain? I though Corbyn was bad because he wasn't supportive enough

It is as I said before there is absolutely no clear from those complaining what the want!!!!

And he also said it was coordinated
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

ohsocynical wrote:
JonnyT1234 wrote:True, but the bigger problem in my opinion is what could happen should Corbyn win.
I honestly think he's a steady pair of hands. He's not going to steer us over the cliff.
He may not. The rest of the PLP I am not at all convinced about. And that's the problem. It doesn't matter if his hands are still on the tiller if the rest of the crew are all on one side of the ship causing it to capsize.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

“No-one on the leave side doesn’t want free trade with Europe,” prominent pro-leave MEP Daniel Hannan just said on BBC News.

As far as Europe goes, it should be possible to stay inside an arrangement with the EU with bilateral deals, which would allow for free movement, but what we will not have are foreign courts deciding who can come into the UK.
Graun live
:wall: :wall: :wall:
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

Who was the mp who claimed there was no orchestrated campaign to drip drip?