Tuesday 28th June 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Re: Tuesday 28th June 2016

Post by NonOxCol »

Laura Kuenssberg Verified account 
‏@bbclaurak
Boris Johnson and Michael Gove had breakfast with Lynton Crosby this morning - so stand by for operation Lynton leadership campaign
And we take another little step closer to the abyss.

Also, Peter Jukes has a theory that M*****h's admonishment was key to Johnson doing a swift U-turn on freedom of movement.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

yahyah wrote:... I suspect there may be more racists than we ever imagined.
Sadly I can say speak for yourself, yahyah. You don't doubt it when you've seen it up close and personal including barriers in the workplace, albeit less so over the years. 'And as for landlords checking immigration status. Well let's just say I wasn't joking when I wrote to Number 10 no matter how facetious my tone.

Oh I tell you what does frighten me... Theresa May as PM.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Someone has got to take responsibility for this and do something about it bloody sharpish
Jon SnowVerified account
‏@jonsnowC4
Young woman in the street stops me to tell me she's just been verbally abused for speaking Spanish on her phone

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

Willow904 wrote:
Rebecca wrote:
Willow904 wrote: Both David Lammy and Seema Malhotra have resisted "getting on with it and accepting the inevitable", so that's not true. Both have spoken to my feelings in a way Jeremy Corbyn can't, because he has wanted this for a long time. I think there may be a generation gap here. I've been in the EU my whole adult life. Jeremy Corbyn will never be able to connect to me over this issue. I'm frankly not too impressed with being told I have no choice but to have Corbyn because no one else will do anything different. Even politician's with very similar views will make lots of tiny choices that are different that can add up to quite different outcomes.

Of course you have a choice,and have had a choice.
September 2015,labour leadership election.You had a choice.If you didn't vote for Corbyn that's sad for you but you do know he won by a very large margin indeed.
Referendum,you had a choice how to vote.Very sadly for the country,there was a majority vote for leave.
The PLP are using a bucketful of foul means to get rid of Jeremy Corbyn,so sucks to anyone who had a choice and voted for him.
They should have another leadership election and win by fair means if they can,something you could also vote how you choose to.
Seems to me from your posts that you want more than a choice,you want YOUR choice.
That is not democracy.
No, democracy is this. If Labour doesn't offer me what I want and need from a political party, I will leave and join another party. This is true of all of us and we comment here, on a political forum, to express when we approve (I really liked Ed, though I always understood that he didn't really appeal to quite a lot of Labour voters) and we express when we disapprove. I'm just explaining why I can't, personally, support Jeremy Corbyn any longer. There are concrete logical reasons, but mostly there are lot of emotional, incoherent reasons. I have gone over these. I understand that there are a lot of people in the Labour party who are going to stand by Jeremy Corbyn to the bitter end and they are right to do so, if that's how they feel. I'm not trying to change any minds, I'm trying to give you an insight into how not everyone in Labour feels the same and why the intransigence on both sides will pull the party apart.

Well yes,I'm not arguing with that.
But,complaining that Corbyn attended the rally,as if that was all he has done since the referendum strikes me as somewhat dishonest.
I get that you don't like him,never have,but don't like the selectiveness of your complaints.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

StephenDolan wrote:https://katyboo1.wordpress.com/2016/06/27/happy-now/

A longie but a goodie.
Just repeating this, it is good.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

How long before someone suggests making immigrants or foreign visitors wear something sewn onto their clothes ?
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

I'm a little with Tem regarding Corbyn but was thoroughly disappointed in him yesterday. However there was the small matter of parliamentary games all around him rather than a shadow cabinet meeting establishing how to counter Cameron's Folly. Perhaps there would have been a party view that did so rather than acquiesce to Cameron's plebiscite.

No hopes now I'm afraid. Whether or not I can swallow my own pride and return to his fold is yet to be seen. I didn't used to like his knocking Labour, thoroughly deserved at the moment btw, but he seems to hate Tories as much as I.

Postscript: Sorry, Tim Farron is the subject of my second paragraph.
Last edited by utopiandreams on Tue 28 Jun, 2016 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

Willow904 wrote: No, democracy is this. If Labour doesn't offer me what I want and need from a political party, I will leave and join another party. This is true of all of us and we comment here, on a political forum, to express when we approve (I really liked Ed, though I always understood that he didn't really appeal to quite a lot of Labour voters) and we express when we disapprove. I'm just explaining why I can't, personally, support Jeremy Corbyn any longer. There are concrete logical reasons, but mostly there are lot of emotional, incoherent reasons. I have gone over these. I understand that there are a lot of people in the Labour party who are going to stand by Jeremy Corbyn to the bitter end and they are right to do so, if that's how they feel. I'm not trying to change any minds, I'm trying to give you an insight into how not everyone in Labour feels the same and why the intransigence on both sides will pull the party apart.
And I don't think that any of us have a problem with that. I understand and respect everything you say. But, leaving aside the act that I'm not a member of any political party, I still cannot see it as anything but anti-democratic, in the larger sense, to ignore a clear majority verdict (within the parameters established by the Referendum) and insist on acting counter to it. Advocate change, yes, that's our inalienable right. But to decide: I don't like this decision so let's overrule it, that's the hurdle i can't cross.
The truth ferret speaks!
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

I had hoped that worrying about the racist right becoming more bold was just part of my anxiety.
Seems not.
That fear was part of the reason I couldn't agree with the notion of Brexit, even if all the ducks were miraculously lined up and a left wing, or progressive, leaving could be managed calmly and efficiently.

Sometimes fear is there for a reason, to help one not make fundamental errors.
Last edited by yahyah on Tue 28 Jun, 2016 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

Willow904 wrote:
Temulkar wrote: I do honestly think that will change over the course of the next few months but not now, and I really don't think JC would be an impediment to changing tack when it became politically possible to do so.
I disagree. I think Corbyn is already an impediment to changing tack and I think the longer he's in charge the harder it will be. Pointing out two other parties waiting to embrace disappointed "remainers" just further underlines how careful Labour has to be not to lose the 63% while chasing after the 27%. I'm not sure you're right that no one in Labour will offer what I want, but that doesn't make Corbyn any more appealing. Someone who doesn't do what I want but is at least competent might be acceptable. Someone who is working behind the scenes to sort things out, rather than indulging in adulation rallies would be a start.
Well lets hope that someone of that ilk can be found and they can stand against him in a democratic election and if they win have a mandate to lead the party.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Rebecca wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
Rebecca wrote:

September 2015,labour leadership election.You had a choice.If you didn't vote for Corbyn that's sad for you but you do know he won by a very large margin indeed.
Referendum,you had a choice how to vote.Very sadly for the country,there was a majority vote for leave.
The PLP are using a bucketful of foul means to get rid of Jeremy Corbyn,so sucks to anyone who had a choice and voted for him.
They should have another leadership election and win by fair means if they can,something you could also vote how you choose to.
Seems to me from your posts that you want more than a choice,you want YOUR choice.
That is not democracy.
No, democracy is this. If Labour doesn't offer me what I want and need from a political party, I will leave and join another party. This is true of all of us and we comment here, on a political forum, to express when we approve (I really liked Ed, though I always understood that he didn't really appeal to quite a lot of Labour voters) and we express when we disapprove. I'm just explaining why I can't, personally, support Jeremy Corbyn any longer. There are concrete logical reasons, but mostly there are lot of emotional, incoherent reasons. I have gone over these. I understand that there are a lot of people in the Labour party who are going to stand by Jeremy Corbyn to the bitter end and they are right to do so, if that's how they feel. I'm not trying to change any minds, I'm trying to give you an insight into how not everyone in Labour feels the same and why the intransigence on both sides will pull the party apart.

Well yes,I'm not arguing with that.
But,complaining that Corbyn attended the rally,as if that was all he has done since the referendum strikes me as somewhat dishonest.
I get that you don't like him,never have,but don't like the selectiveness of your complaints.
It's not actually selective. The rally was very upbeat. As I said before, I'm bereft and worried. I need Gordon Brown or Ed Miliband being sombre, giving updates to the press about Labour's position, concerns about the stock market, worry about the lack of a proper government, not mardi gras. It just adds to the sense that Brexit is what he wanted all along and he's happy now. It will be a while before I'll be able to forgive people who are feeling happy right now. I'm sorry it doesn't make sense.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

I try to avoid conspiracy theories, but Atlantic Bridge has cropped up here a couple of times.

Cameron and Osborne seem remarkably sanguine considering they just lost the most important vote of their political lives. Osborne hasn't even bothered resigning. Apart from TCC's resignation speech, they're all smiles. I'm referring to their demeanour rather than their words. Strikes me they don't give a flying one either way. Passionate about the EU my arse.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

AngryAsWell wrote:Someone has got to take responsibility for this and do something about it bloody sharpish
Jon SnowVerified account
‏@jonsnowC4
Young woman in the street stops me to tell me she's just been verbally abused for speaking Spanish on her phone

Which reminds me... Some weeks back someone greeted me in the street and I was a bit taken aback because I couldn't understand her. Then I realised she was speaking Portuguese. A couple of years ago she'd passed when I was chatting to the guy opposite who said she never says a word and he thought she was Portuguese. Some time later I had greeted her one morning in her mother tongue. It seems she does talk to people after all.

Edit: corrected could to couldn't. It makes sense now.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Every day I come up with some different way (although they all apply) of distilling what I don't like about Jeremy Corbyn. Today's serving is -

Arrogant humility. I know others will have found his appearance at yesterday's rally heartening but that is how it came across to me. And John McDonnell's role in it all (and I usually like him) was positively unsettling. Presumably the whole set-up was smiled upon by Jeremy Corbyn.

I've heard all his detractors saying that "he is a nice bloke". I'm beginning to think that he actually might well not be.

Edited to remove an "actually". Actually. Or maybe even "literally" . . .
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Thanks for that, yahyah, but I was out of nappies before I was one. Mind you who could blame my mum we lived in a twelve foot caravan back then.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Emma Kennedy Verified account 
‏@EmmaKennedy
What is required, immediately, is for a proper, sober, sensible leader to denounce Farage UTTERLY.
Who the hell is that exactly, one has to wonder?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Sorry UD. I was being a bit more generic with my theory, not pointing at you.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

mbc1955 wrote:
Willow904 wrote: No, democracy is this. If Labour doesn't offer me what I want and need from a political party, I will leave and join another party. This is true of all of us and we comment here, on a political forum, to express when we approve (I really liked Ed, though I always understood that he didn't really appeal to quite a lot of Labour voters) and we express when we disapprove. I'm just explaining why I can't, personally, support Jeremy Corbyn any longer. There are concrete logical reasons, but mostly there are lot of emotional, incoherent reasons. I have gone over these. I understand that there are a lot of people in the Labour party who are going to stand by Jeremy Corbyn to the bitter end and they are right to do so, if that's how they feel. I'm not trying to change any minds, I'm trying to give you an insight into how not everyone in Labour feels the same and why the intransigence on both sides will pull the party apart.
And I don't think that any of us have a problem with that. I understand and respect everything you say. But, leaving aside the act that I'm not a member of any political party, I still cannot see it as anything but anti-democratic, in the larger sense, to ignore a clear majority verdict (within the parameters established by the Referendum) and insist on acting counter to it. Advocate change, yes, that's our inalienable right. But to decide: I don't like this decision so let's overrule it, that's the hurdle i can't cross.
This is from the blog that's been linked. https://katyboo1.wordpress.com/2016/06/27/happy-now/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Secondly, people telling me that this is democracy and I have to live with it. You know what? The referendum vote was simply one part of the democratic process, and as I keep mentioning to those who conveniently forget it, it was ‘Advisory,’ not legally binding. The vote itself is not ‘democracy’. Democracy doesn’t happen on one day for one vote and then go away again. Democracy is an ongoing process in which we are free to express ourselves however we see fit as long as we do not descend into hate speech (which I haven’t). Democracy is part of a process and is happening all the time. I have the democratic right to fight against decisions made on my behalf that I don’t like, and I don’t like this one, so I am fighting it every step of the way. Do not throw the word democracy in my face. It is not a trump card.
Other views are available.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

Willow904 wrote:
Rebecca wrote:
Willow904 wrote: Both David Lammy and Seema Malhotra have resisted "getting on with it and accepting the inevitable", so that's not true. Both have spoken to my feelings in a way Jeremy Corbyn can't, because he has wanted this for a long time. I think there may be a generation gap here. I've been in the EU my whole adult life. Jeremy Corbyn will never be able to connect to me over this issue. I'm frankly not too impressed with being told I have no choice but to have Corbyn because no one else will do anything different. Even politician's with very similar views will make lots of tiny choices that are different that can add up to quite different outcomes.

That is not democracy.
Yes it is going to pull the party apart, and thats disastrous, but Labour will likely survive.

For those that leave the party (As I did during the warmonger years) it is always a soul wrenching decision, espescially when the civil war in labour is mirrored in your family as it was in mine when the SDP went their own merry way.

Regardless of pro or anti corbyn, this whole shabby coup attempt is a deriliction of duty to the nation, when we do face our greatest crisis sincce the war, and are more divided than in 350 years as a nation. It is that, more than anything else, which disqualifies the plotters in my eyes from any legitamacy. But that is compounded by their abject cowardice and frightening incompetence in actually unseating a man that they are unable by the rules to unseat, added to their utter contempt for the membership, both by refusing to accept last years mandate and refusing to allow the members a decision. Then we have their open and barefaced lies to the British public that have been quickly exposed, the childish petulant behaviour of Jess Phillips when caght lying about McDonneel and the rally last night, the audacity of an elected official claiming he knows how someone voted in a secret ballot - one of the principles of our democracy I might add - It really does give me the measure of those alighned against him in the PLP.

Of the 28 SDP defectors, I think 2 retained their seats at the 83 election.

Elections are cruel, there are always bitterly dissapointed losers in them, but its that or dictatorship.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Temulkar wrote: Regardless of pro or anti corbyn, this whole shabby coup attempt is a dereliction of duty to the nation, when we do face our greatest crisis since the war, and are more divided than in 350 years as a nation.
Yes.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor

Post by mbc1955 »

gilsey wrote:
mbc1955 wrote:
This is from the blog that's been linked. https://katyboo1.wordpress.com/2016/06/27/happy-now/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Secondly, people telling me that this is democracy and I have to live with it. You know what? The referendum vote was simply one part of the democratic process, and as I keep mentioning to those who conveniently forget it, it was ‘Advisory,’ not legally binding. The vote itself is not ‘democracy’. Democracy doesn’t happen on one day for one vote and then go away again. Democracy is an ongoing process in which we are free to express ourselves however we see fit as long as we do not descend into hate speech (which I haven’t). Democracy is part of a process and is happening all the time. I have the democratic right to fight against decisions made on my behalf that I don’t like, and I don’t like this one, so I am fighting it every step of the way. Do not throw the word democracy in my face. It is not a trump card.
I know that. But they're not available to me. "But to decide: I don't like this decision so let's overrule it, that's the hurdle I can't cross."

Is it so impossible for people to understand that?
The truth ferret speaks!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

According to the BBC, Dan Jarvis has ruled himself out. (Politics Live, Guardian)
One small bit of good news, I suppose.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

NonOxCol wrote:
‏@EmmaKennedy
What is required, immediately, is for a proper, sober, sensible leader to denounce Farage UTTERLY.
https://twitter.com/search?q=%40EmmaKennedy%20&src=typd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

mbc1955 wrote:
gilsey wrote:
mbc1955 wrote: And I don't think that any of us have a problem with that. I understand and respect everything you say. But, leaving aside the act that I'm not a member of any political party, I still cannot see it as anything but anti-democratic, in the larger sense, to ignore a clear majority verdict (within the parameters established by the Referendum) and insist on acting counter to it. Advocate change, yes, that's our inalienable right. But to decide: I don't like this decision so let's overrule it, that's the hurdle i can't cross.
I know that. But they're not available to me. "But to decide: I don't like this decision so let's overrule it, that's the hurdle I can't cross."

I am in complete agreement with you, at the moment. I do however think that things will change quickly, it is a very fluid situation and I am not ruling anything out in a few months time.

We have no idea who will be the leader of Labour or the Tories in three months time, no idea how the economic impact will play out, and no idea how things will pan out over the summer.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

mbc1955 wrote:
gilsey wrote:
mbc1955 wrote: And I don't think that any of us have a problem with that. I understand and respect everything you say. But, leaving aside the act that I'm not a member of any political party, I still cannot see it as anything but anti-democratic, in the larger sense, to ignore a clear majority verdict (within the parameters established by the Referendum) and insist on acting counter to it. Advocate change, yes, that's our inalienable right. But to decide: I don't like this decision so let's overrule it, that's the hurdle i can't cross.

I understand that completely.
Which is why I agree with Corbyn.
Labour didn't want a referendum,it happened.
Now it's time to get on with it as best we can.
Reading in the guardian,Cameron said he is telling the eu that we are leaving.
So,are the plans that in a couple of months we go back and say 'only kidding?'
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

mbc1955 wrote:
Tim Farron has said he will fight to re-join the EU and that message is far more appealing to me than Corbyn right now. I'm not really advocating overturning anything, just saying the Tories wanted out so they can take us out as far as I'm concerned (although I think they could be capable of that kind of anti-democratic act whether your approve of it or not and I wouldn't put it past them to come out as heroes if they did do a u-turn when the dust has settled and the economy has tanked). Labour should have nothing to do with it.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

Angela Eagle is the next name, she isnt going to beat corbyn.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Rumours that the "stop Corbyn" candidate in the coming leadership election will be Angela Eagle.

Can't say I'm massively impressed or enthused by that......
Last edited by AnatolyKasparov on Tue 28 Jun, 2016 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

AngryAsWell wrote:
NonOxCol wrote:
‏@EmmaKennedy
https://twitter.com/search?q=%40EmmaKennedy%20&src=typd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Someone on that thread left some crumbs:

Here's Farage:
Isn’t it funny? When I came here 17 years ago and I said that I wanted to lead a campaign to get Britain to leave the European Union, you all laughed at me – well I have to say, you’re not laughing now, are you?
And here's some other fellow:
They have always derided me as a prophet. Today countless numbers of those who laughed at that time, laugh no longer. Those who are still laughing now, also will perhaps laugh no longer after a while . . .
http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jso ... 10842.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Part of my degree involved studying MLK's oratorical tropes. Given Thursday night's speech, certain school reports and now this, I really don't believe this is a coincidence.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

SpinningHugo wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
danesclose wrote: A patronising "Yes, you've made your point, now run along and let the big boys look after things" type of thing?

And by the way, his name is spelt Corbyn
Hugo mischievously paid £3 and voted for Corbyn last year, or so he reckoned.
Sorry, that is complete nonsense.

I was a member, voted for all the candidates other than Corbyn (order Kendall, Cooper, Burnham) and resigned on 12 September.
Goodness me. I seem to remember you gloating about what you'd done. And I thanked you for supporting Corbyn.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ohsocynical wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
ohsocynical wrote: Hugo mischievously paid £3 and voted for Corbyn last year, or so he reckoned.
Sorry, that is complete nonsense.

I was a member, voted for all the candidates other than Corbyn (order Kendall, Cooper, Burnham) and resigned on 12 September.
Goodness me. I seem to remember you gloating about what you'd done. And I thanked you for supporting Corbyn.
Unless of course you have an alter ego?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

George Osborne warns UK to expect spending cuts and tax rises after Brexit vote

The next Conservative government will have to cut spending even further and raise taxes to ensure the country can
live within its diminished means post-Brexit, George Osborne has said.

The Chancellor said it was “very clear” that the country would be poorer following the people’s decision to leave the
EU and while ruling out an immediate ‘emergency budget’, he said that the next prime minister would “absolutely”
have to inflict further austerity measures on the population.

Once seen as the frontrunner to succeed David Cameron as Conservative leader, Mr Osborne’s reputation with the
party lies in tatters following the Brexit vote, which he vehemently argued against, and he has ruled himself out
from running in the imminent Conservative leadership contest.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 06921.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not going to endear your party to the electorate, Tories, not with that in your manifesto.
Osborne runs away with independent fortune to comfort him.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

citizenJA wrote:
George Osborne warns UK to expect spending cuts and tax rises after Brexit vote

The next Conservative government will have to cut spending even further and raise taxes to ensure the country can
live within its diminished means post-Brexit, George Osborne has said.

The Chancellor said it was “very clear” that the country would be poorer following the people’s decision to leave the
EU and while ruling out an immediate ‘emergency budget’, he said that the next prime minister would “absolutely”
have to inflict further austerity measures on the population.

Once seen as the frontrunner to succeed David Cameron as Conservative leader, Mr Osborne’s reputation with the
party lies in tatters following the Brexit vote, which he vehemently argued against, and he has ruled himself out
from running in the imminent Conservative leadership contest.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 06921.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not going to endear your party to the electorate, Tories, not with that in your manifesto.
Osborne runs away with independent fortune to comfort him.
Their heads should be on f***ing spikes.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

ohsocynical wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote: Sorry, that is complete nonsense.

Unless of course you have an alter ego?
I think that was Rusty actually.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Julian DrukerVerified account
‏@Julian5News
It gets worse. Molotov cocktail thrown at Halal butcher's in Birmingham

I'm at a loss, never thought we would see this kind of things on our streets
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Stephen Crabb to try for Conservative leader.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Rumours that the "stop Corbyn" candidate in the coming leadership election will be Angela Eagle.

Rumoured that her CLP aren't too impressed. At all. Trying to find the link.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

I would also say, given the mood of the country and the anger with the spadocracy, claimin JC cant win an election on a radical left platform may be true but it isnt certain.

IN this year of shocks, don't be surprised at anything or rule anything out.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

PorFavor wrote:Stephen Crabb to try for Conservative leader.
The pun writers dream.

And no, that isn't an invite to provide your own ;)
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

StephenDolan wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Rumours that the "stop Corbyn" candidate in the coming leadership election will be Angela Eagle.

I read an email from her CLP,but it was one of the btl comments so unsure if it was genuine.
But they didn't sound happy with Eagles' tv performance.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

The only person showing any kind of statesman like leadership is Nicola Sturgeon - I wish we had her.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Rebecca wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:

I read an email from her CLP,but it was one of the btl comments so unsure if it was genuine.
The interview yesterday, do you know - or another TV appearance?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

& now the tories are taking away her right to speak for her country

Jamie RossVerified account
‏@JamieRoss7
Today's Tory amendment takes out the mandate for Sturgeon to talk to EU member states and rails against #indyref2.

howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

AngryAsWell wrote:& now the tories are taking away her right to speak for her country

Jamie RossVerified account
‏@JamieRoss7
Today's Tory amendment takes out the mandate for Sturgeon to talk to EU member states and rails against #indyref2.

The country is riven!

Even on here things have got a bitch tetchy...(sometimes I am guilty :roll: )

However, we should all stick together as this is a place of sanity compared to the madness elsewhere

Thanks to you all for some great debates over the last few days - particularly PF and Willow who I haven't always seen eye to eye with)
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor

Post by mbc1955 »

Willow904 wrote:
Tim Farron has said he will fight to re-join the EU and that message is far more appealing to me than Corbyn right now. I'm not really advocating overturning anything, just saying the Tories wanted out so they can take us out as far as I'm concerned (although I think they could be capable of that kind of anti-democratic act whether your approve of it or not and I wouldn't put it past them to come out as heroes if they did do a u-turn when the dust has settled and the economy has tanked). Labour should have nothing to do with it.
If you want to cause a fight, you're going about it the right way. Get over yourself and accept that people disagree with you and don't sneer.

I'm out of here.
The truth ferret speaks!
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

PorFavor wrote:
Rebecca wrote:
StephenDolan wrote: Rumoured that her CLP aren't too impressed. At all. Trying to find the link.
The interview yesterday, do you know - or another TV appearance?

I THINK it was yesterday,but haven't time to troll through the comments to find it,there are thousands.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Well this might make some of us smile, at least. A sketch writer actually treats Lord North's closest rival with the withering contempt he always deserved:

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/ske ... 06586.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

I am going to say one shocking thing now that makes me ill but has fleeted through my mind so I wanted to get it on paper to remind myself in future times :o

The one small ray of hope at the moment is that Teresa May could beat Boris - I think, of all the candidates who are likely to become PM she is the only one who could get something even slightly palatable

There I said it :sick:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

JonnyT1234 wrote:PS Hugo's list earlier. So no one worth voting for then. And I can't quite believe he actually included Cooper...

Incidentally am I wrong in thinking that Benn has always been a singularly unimpressive MP who has never actually achieved anything much in his entire parliamentary career? I just don't get the love for him. Has he done something significant in the - 20(?)ish - years he's been an MP and I just missed it?

PS well aware the same can be justifiably said of Corbyn. But Corbyn's significant achievement - for me - is that he has never bullshitted and never bowed to the perceived wisdom when it's so obviously wrong (edit: and he's also never scraped and arse-licked his way into power. Edit 2: he actually got there on merit).
Benn? I don't think it's as much love for him as love for his father. And as someone pointed out on Twitter, his dad never actually rose very far as he was considered too far left especially when Blair became leader. Corbyn and Benn were good friends. As was Ralph Miliband. Ed worked for Benn as a researcher? I believe.

Odd really. The son has politically gone in the opposite direction to his father .. Or perhaps not so odd.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

The amount of parliamentary time taken up in undoing EU legislation and then redoing as "British" it is going to take years, every line of every bill passed in the last 40 years will have to be examined & either disguarded - bye bye workers rights - or re done.
Parliament will be tied up for years not passing any new legislation.
Perhaps that will be a good thing.