Wednesday 29th June 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 29th June 2016

Post by PorFavor »

gilsey wrote:Yesterday someone suggested taking a break from this board, as things were getting a little heated.

Just to let you know that I'll be taking a break if Hugo stays around because I don't want to hear about the Labour party all the f****** time.

Which will be a shame as I value the wider discussions here.
The person who suggested that we take a break was RogerOThornhill - who, I'm very pleased to see, didn't take his own advice.

Why not just skip over the posters who don't interest you? I'm sure if you bowl us a different subject to the Labour Party most of us will bite and more variety will result. Although there's no denying that the Labour Party is a hot topic at the moment. But so is the EU. And the events in Turkey. And I could certainly say a lot about the bloody weather. I had to put an extra blanket on the bed last night.

Edited

Bold (Sir Roger . . )

Edited again. Ee, I wish I didn't make so many typos.
Last edited by PorFavor on Wed 29 Jun, 2016 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

But another snippet is Corbyn says he aint going anywhee unless the members decide.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

AK, Peston says 60% of 13k.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Faisal Islam

I'm expecting a statement from big unions who have just left Unite HQ meeting within two hours - Labour Party future hinges on it...
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Temulkar wrote:''Corbyn backers tell me plotters can't agree because can't find candidate who opposed Iraq war. Claim they need that with Chilcot next week.'' From john craig

I wonder if they could be so insane as to put up two candidates, or for someones o'erweening ambition to throw their hat in the ring anyway.
The point is you *could* put up multiple candidates as was the case a year ago - due to the preferential voting system. That wasn't why Corbyn's opponents got trounced, rather it was because *he* got over half the vote. If that changes for whatever reason, he is beatable. If not, not......

And it isn't impossible either to see someone like A Eagle saying "yes I voted for the Iraq war - yes it was a terrible mistake and I am sorry"; that might resonate with quite a few members. Of course Blairites would be furious, but they're basically in a "nowhere else to go" situation anyway.

(now who said that, at the height of the New Labour years?)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Anatoly, what do you think of the Wigan Left Unity piece claiming the Blairites are acting to protect Blair because Corbyn is said to favour Blair's impeachment after Chilcott is published ?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

And Clive Myrie still shines in the BBC firmament (at the risk of damning him with faint praise). I really appreciate the way he is a refreshing change. His review of the newspapers slot (when he does it and on the few occasions when I'm awake for it) is very good.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Lovely Clive used to do the evening slot on BBC News 24, now it is usually that dreadful Open Source programme instead.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Someone on Cif claiming LBC suggesting there's an announcement soon, Corbyn may be resigning.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

yahyah wrote:Someone on Cif claiming LBC suggesting there's an announcement soon, Corbyn may be resigning.
If true - I'm relieved. And I thank Ed Miliband for it (I'm only half joking).

Edited to add -

I realise, if it happens, it probably has a lot to do with the outcome of the Trades Union meetings.

Edited

"t" added
Last edited by PorFavor on Wed 29 Jun, 2016 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

So if say John McDonnell put his name forward? :wink:
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Time for a bit of lightness ?
Boris Johnson’s Brexit HQ Responds To The EU Referendum Result (Downfall Version)

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/b ... sj71hbbj4i" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

As you were. Actor Ewan McGregor has backed Corbyn, so that's him staying then.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I'm really mangling my tenses today. I'm tense. Was tense. Will be tense. Have been tense etc.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Some of the reaction to PMQs suggests that Aditya Chakrabotty was premature when he said Cameron's "Teflon cockiness" had finally worn off.

Absolutely fed up of this shit. How can he possibly get away with total economic, political and social reckless endangerment?
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

StephenDolan wrote:So if say John McDonnell put his name forward? :wink:
The PLP will do its damnedest to make sure he doesn't get 50 nominations. Corbyn has a legitimate claim to be in any ballot. McDonnell does not.

Edit: apparently it's 50 nominations. I thought it was 35 at the last leadership election?
Last edited by JonnyT1234 on Wed 29 Jun, 2016 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Donald Trump: Making America Hate Again
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

Siling down at the mo. Trapped in arts centre. Biblical stuff.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

iain watson
iain watson – Verified account ‏@iainjwatson

I am told unions won't call on Jeremy Corbyn to resign following union meeting
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

I think that rumour is coming from Dan Hodges and Chris Ship yahyah so take it as you will.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

RobertSnozers wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
JonnyT1234 wrote: It was the 'core' message of the TORIES. Not Labour. The Tories. And the evidence is there plain as day for all to see. It wasn't believable because of the way it was presented as a, "ZOMG, WE'RE DOOMED IF YOU DON'T DO WHAT WE TELL YOU TO DO!"

What is the one thing we can absolutely guarantee about the majority of Tory voters? That they will vote with their wallet first and foremost. What happened? They patently didn't believe the economic Armageddon messaging of their own leaders. Not Labour's, their own. And that's because the message was easy to dismiss as bollocks. That's dismiss, by the way, not show. The presentation of the message was lamentable.
It was the core message of Remain. It is irrelevant which political party supported it.
So the fact that everyone from Alex Salmond to Mervyn King has condemned it as scaremongering bollocks...?
No the core message on the economy was not dismissed.

Osborne's budget was dismissed, mainly on the grounds that things will be so bad post Brexit a tax raising budget wouldn't happen.

However the core message thay Brexit would be really bad was endorsed by pretty much every credible economist out there. The FT was the exception, they said it would be worse than expected.

Corbyn was objecting to the message that Brexit would damage the economy, not the rather odd Osborne budget.
Release the Guardvarks.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Other than the George Cross flag and white van tweet and that she's a lawyer or something I know nothing of Emily Thornberry but I'll stick my neck out and say I was impressed by her performance today on Daily Politics. She presents herself and her arguments well, sound ones I may say, she's comfortable and relaxed. Not at all evasive she waves away irrelevant and childish questions with a sense of amusement.

I like her voice too.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote: It was the core message of Remain. It is irrelevant which political party supported it.
So the fact that everyone from Alex Salmond to Mervyn King has condemned it as scaremongering bollocks...?

Osborne's budget was dismissed, mainly on the grounds that things will be so bad post Brexit a tax raising budget wouldn't happen.

However the core message thay Brexit would be really bad was endorsed by pretty much every credible economist out there. The FT was the exception, they said it would be worse than expected.

Corbyn was objecting to the message that Brexit would damage the economy, not the rather odd Osborne budget.
" Corbyn was objecting to the message that Brexit would damage the economy... "

When did that happen?
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

StephenDolan wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote: So the fact that everyone from Alex Salmond to Mervyn King has condemned it as scaremongering bollocks...?

" Corbyn was objecting to the message that Brexit would damage the economy... "

When did that happen?
Continually, from early on. First time I heard it I remember being stunned.

McDonnell also took a similar, but smarter line, his argument being a Tory Brexit would be bad rather than Brexit would be bad.
Release the Guardvarks.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

StephenDolan wrote:" Corbyn was objecting to the message that Brexit would damage the economy... "

When did that happen?
It never did. The only thing Corbyn objected to was the presentation that it would be Armageddon, which he rightly said was unhelpful (not wrong).
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:Continually, from early on.
How is that possible. He didn't do anything and went on holiday for 12 months, remember.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

yahyah wrote:
gilsey wrote:Just had to come back for the cake quote, I'm hysterical.

I think I'll just have to look for the funny side to stay sane.

Now I really am going to do something else for a while, making a dress for my great-niece while gardening is rained off.

Later. x

I'm trying to design the grid layout for a patchwork quilt with 18 different fabrics and no idea how to get a symmetrical pattern, we've been rained off as well.

It feels in tune with the Labour party at the moment, clashing colours, toning groups of colour, all in a jumble and they have to come together in the end in a harmonious way.
Think the party may be sorted before my sewing.

Good luck with the dress.

I have made a cake,it tastes like a walk in the woods.
And have apple and garlic slow cooked pork in the oven,meatballs in the fridge and carrots cut into batons to mix with broccoli and asparagus.
Get a lot done when the computer is turned off.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Hearing Watson and Eagle are about to meet at 3.30 but cancelled two earlier meetings as they can't agree who should be unity candidate...
https://twitter.com/pickardje/status/748160873823354880

I'd laugh if I wasn't crying:

Watson: No... I'm the unity candidate!
Eagle: No you're not... I'm the unity candidate!
Disinterested observer: There seems to be a fatal flaw with your statements.
Last edited by JonnyT1234 on Wed 29 Jun, 2016 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Mountain rescue teams have launched a search mission after a group of as many as 24 teenagers became lost in the Brecon Beacons amid atrocious weather conditions.

Around 14 children are believed to have returned to a pub in the national park, which is being used as a base for the search-and-rescue teams.

Reports suggest there could still be as many as 10 children stranded in low cloud on the mountain, with rescuers forced to reach them by foot as the inclement weather prevented helicopters from landing.

- Twenty schoolchildren missing in Brecon Beacons

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... on-beacons" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hope they're found safe soon
Never, ever underestimate the weather in this country
fedup59
Committee Member

Post by fedup59 »

I think this needs to go all the way now. For the life of me I can 't see any way to consensus. Plus in relation to what happens with the EU there needs to be a clear cut direction from whatever the Labour party becomes.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Right.

I've had enough of all this.

It seems to me that some people are attributing to Corbyn things he has not said or done. The dis-loyalists can't get their stories straight.
Then we have people who derided Ed Milband, said he was useless, and are now treating his statement as if it were holy effing writ. FFS.

While we wait for the unions to make their pronouncements, some poor dab from Labour to poke a craven little head over the parapet, the Tories are getting away with all manner of nonsense with no scrutiny because everyone's too busy pratting about over the Corbyn thing. Pathetic.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I am watching something really interesting. Novak Djokovic. He is a consummate professional, and I think he is one of the greatest tennis players ever (and I include Borg, Sampras, Federer, and many who went before).

Considering he couldn't go to tournaments as a child because his family was not wealthy, got through the bombing of his home and spent 78 days and nights in a bunker during the worst of it, he is a marvel of determination.

So while the overpaid, powerful, and privileged behave like children, I'm sticking to watching a magnificent athlete doing what he does best who got where he is against the odds, and who deals with it all with charm. grace, and integrity.

Laters!
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

JonnyT1234 wrote:
Hearing Watson and Eagle are about to meet at 3.30 but cancelled two earlier meetings as they can't agree who should be unity candidate...
https://twitter.com/pickardje/status/748160873823354880

I'd laugh if I wasn't crying:

Watson: No... I'm the unity candidate!
Eagle: No you're not... I'm the unity candidate!
Disinterested observer: There seems to be a fatal flaw with your statements.
New deputy leadership election on the cards?
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

GMB and UNITE come out in favour of Corbyn.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Rebecca wrote:
yahyah wrote:
gilsey wrote:Just had to come back for the cake quote, I'm hysterical.

I think I'll just have to look for the funny side to stay sane.

Now I really am going to do something else for a while, making a dress for my great-niece while gardening is rained off.

Later. x

I'm trying to design the grid layout for a patchwork quilt with 18 different fabrics and no idea how to get a symmetrical pattern, we've been rained off as well.

It feels in tune with the Labour party at the moment, clashing colours, toning groups of colour, all in a jumble and they have to come together in the end in a harmonious way.
Think the party may be sorted before my sewing.

Good luck with the dress.

I have made a cake,it tastes like a walk in the woods.
And have apple and garlic slow cooked pork in the oven,meatballs in the fridge and carrots cut into batons to mix with broccoli and asparagus.
Get a lot done when the computer is turned off.
Rained off gardening no more . There's always something to do in a polytunnel :)
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

PorFavor wrote:
yahyah wrote:Someone on Cif claiming LBC suggesting there's an announcement soon, Corbyn may be resigning.

Edited to add -

I realise, if it happens, it probably has a lot to do with the outcome of the Trades Union meetings.

Edited

"t" added

I think it is way too late for Jeremy Corbyn to resign now imo.
Have a leadership election if he's so dreadful.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Rebecca wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

Edited to add -

Edited

"t" added

Yes. Can you imagine the gloating.

It wos Cameron wot dunnit.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

citizenJA wrote:
Mountain rescue teams have launched a search mission after a group of as many as 24 teenagers became lost in the Brecon Beacons amid atrocious weather conditions.

Around 14 children are believed to have returned to a pub in the national park, which is being used as a base for the search-and-rescue teams.

Reports suggest there could still be as many as 10 children stranded in low cloud on the mountain, with rescuers forced to reach them by foot as the inclement weather prevented helicopters from landing.

- Twenty schoolchildren missing in Brecon Beacons

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... on-beacons" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hope they're found safe soon
Never, ever underestimate the weather in this country
I don't know the Brcon Beacons but I know the Lake District intimately and to let two dozen teenagers go off on their own into wild country without adult supervision is criminally negligent.
The truth ferret speaks!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

How prepared was the government?

The referendum, for instance, has thrown up big constitutional questions for Britain.

Oliver Letwin, who was appointed by David Cameron, the outgoing prime minister, to oversee the process of withdrawal,
is now at the helm of an expanded European secretariat at the Cabinet Office. But it is clear that very little preparatory
work has been done. One of the first questions he will face is the future role of the British parliament in Brexit.

The British government has not yet said how parliament should implement the decision to leave. It is not clear, for instance,
if and what laws would have to be passed to put the referendum decision to leave the EU into effect.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... a-way-back" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Insanity. Tory government have placed everyone in a wholly untenable position. US/Soviet brinkmanship during
the Cold War years were worse, more dangerous for people. But the Tory EU referendum ranks among the worst
leadership in history.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ephemerid wrote:I am watching something really interesting. Novak Djokovic. He is a consummate professional, and I think he is one of the greatest tennis players ever (and I include Borg, Sampras, Federer, and many who went before).

Considering he couldn't go to tournaments as a child because his family was not wealthy, got through the bombing of his home and spent 78 days and nights in a bunker during the worst of it, he is a marvel of determination.

So while the overpaid, powerful, and privileged behave like children, I'm sticking to watching a magnificent athlete doing what he does best who got where he is against the odds, and who deals with it all with charm. grace, and integrity.

Laters!
(cJA edit)

Enjoy your day, Ephemerid, I love you.
xx
cJA
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Meanwhile over at the tory leaders election things look like its going to get very dirty
This is not Johnson's "official" campaign (which has not started yet) but a taste of flavour of those who support him

BORIS JOHNSON FOR PM GROUP ASKS IF TORIES WANT A MUSLIM CHANCELLOR OR A ‘BRITISH PATRIOT’

https://politicalscrapbook.net/2016/06/ ... h-patriot/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

StephenDolan wrote:
Rebecca wrote:
PorFavor wrote: If true - I'm relieved. And I thank Ed Miliband for it (I'm only half joking).

Edited to add -

Edited

"t" added

Yes. Can you imagine the gloating.

It wos Cameron wot dunnit.
Ah - hadn't thought of that. However, I don't think that would really hold water given all that's been going on.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

I vaguely recall through the mists of time, election fraud news.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

NotSureIfSerious...

Anti-Corbyn Labour MPs investigate party name ownership

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... parliament" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

EU news. 27 v 1 (in absentia) re a deal on free movement\access to free market.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Further indicators of the 'FU Labour Members' assault by the PLP:

Anti-Corbyn Labour MPs investigate party name ownership
‘Saving Labour’ group floats plans for breakaway group as pro-Corbyn supporters organise rallies

http://gu.com/p/4n5vf?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
Bit late to only now be trying to get more members joining your cause. Perhaps they should have thought about it roughly 20 years ago.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Not sure just how this shambles is supposed to endear Labour to the voters.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

BBCNewsnight: 45 out of 50 constituency Labour party chairs contacted by #newsnight say they still back Jeremy Corbyn - and many are furious.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Temulkar wrote:BBCNewsnight: 45 out of 50 constituency Labour party chairs contacted by #newsnight say they still back Jeremy Corbyn - and many are furious.
Branch meeting tonight. Should be eventful.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

A young local estate agent's just been at the house to pick up the keys for the neighbour's property.
He's showing some people around as it is on the market and they are away.

We had a chat, he says that they thought things would be dead in the housing market after the Brexit vote but they've had a lot of offers since and been busy.
He said he was still in shock that people voted for it, he was for Remain, particularly when Wales needs all the help we can get. He said that everyone he knew who had voted Leave said it was because of immigrants. Which is bizarre as there are few around here.
There are some Eastern Europeans down at Llandeilo at the Dunbia meat processing plant, but that's miles away.
Last edited by yahyah on Wed 29 Jun, 2016 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

RobertSnozers wrote:
Chris Ship
@chrisshipitv

NEW: Just been told Corbyn has said in the last day he wants out, he's had enough. But his Dir of Comms @SeumasMilne told him he should stay
4:14 PM - 29 Jun 2016
Bit late now if true. Need to see it through.
That one has already been denied.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

They are going for the wicked counsillors line next bullying an old man.