Sat 9 and Sun 10 July 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Re: Sat 9 and Sun 10 July 2016

Post by yahyah »

howsillyofme1 wrote:
yahyah wrote:On Friday night Ceredigion branch's emergency meeting voted 44 for, 6 against & 1 abstention to pass a motion in support of Corbyn.

That is pretty clear

Any view on the make-up of the voters - new members vs old etc?
Unfortunately I can't open the minutes, and copy of the relevant Labour rules, I received.
I always used to be able to, but now, because I don't have Microsoft Office, the attachments won't open.
Presume the new person sending out the constituency communications uses a different system.

But membership was really low, even bearing in mind we are very rural constituency.
It increased after Corbyn was elected, and there have been meetings re-instituted in Aberaeron and Aberystwyth, as well as a separate meeting for women started because of the new membership.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

ephemerid wrote:yahyah - re. our PM issues - Refitman has sent you my email address.

Right. Murray!

Have sent an email.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

yahyah wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:
yahyah wrote:On Friday night Ceredigion branch's emergency meeting voted 44 for, 6 against & 1 abstention to pass a motion in support of Corbyn.

That is pretty clear

Any view on the make-up of the voters - new members vs old etc?
Unfortunately I can't open the minutes, and copy of the relevant Labour rules, I received.
I always used to be able to, but now, because I don't have Microsoft Office, the attachments won't open.
Presume the new person sending out the constituency communications uses a different system.

But membership was really low, even bearing in mind we are very rural constituency.
It increased after Corbyn was elected, and there have been meetings re-instituted in Aberaeron and Aberystwyth, as well as a separate meeting for women started because of the new membership.

Thank you
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
mbc1955 wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:And here was me thinking all you had to do to train as a laywer was be able to read a dictionary.

Mind you ...
No, you have to be able to understand it as well...
Not sure what's prompted the patronizing rudeness, but I don't require it.
Just so you know.
I apologise to you. I had no intention of coming over patronising, and was merely being light-hearted. I obviously expressed myself badly.
The truth ferret speaks!
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

It is hard to show that sometimes isn't it ? If face to face there's the intonation and facial expression to help get things across.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

mbc1955 wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:
mbc1955 wrote: No, you have to be able to understand it as well...
Just so you know.
I apologise to you. I had no intention of coming over patronising, and was merely being light-hearted. I obviously expressed myself badly.
The problem with typing, rather than speaking :?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

ephemerid wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote: I may be having some kind of oversimplification moment, but I don't see how this is unclear. To me it seems the manifestation of clarity.
It's the bit about nominees going forward onto the ballot with no mention of the incumbent that produces doubt. Given the incumbent in the past needed to be nominated and the rules don't specifically provide for the incumbent to go forward to the ballot automatically it's not especially clear. It can be interpreted either way. Only those who drew up the rules can know what they intended, although it seems most likely this situation, with an incumbent not resigning despite not having support, was simply never anticipated in that it would be normal for the incumbent to simply get the nominations whether strictly required by the wording of the rules or not.

Perhaps the reason the incumbent is not mentioned is because he/she IS the incumbent.
The challenger is challenging the incumbent, as things are now.

Corbyn has already faced both the PLP and the membership in an open contest where there was no incumbent because Ed had gone.
As he hasn't resigned, it's not an open contest as it was last year.

I don't think there is any confusion about this - or if there is, I'm buggered if I can see it, Willow.
Why else did all those people call on Corbyn to resign?

If he had, they could then have their open contest just like last time - but he didn't, and now they're scrabbling around trying to justify what they're doing. Well that's my view, anyway.
If he had resigned, he may or may not have got sufficient nominations from the PLP, although personally I think it would have been very close, as Anatoly mentioned earlier.

I think what maddens me most is that the members have no say in all this nonsense. They voted for Corbyn. That should be respected.
Like it or not, them's the rules.
The rules in the past have had the incumbent needing nominations, as we saw with Kinnock. This hasn't been explicitly changed in any of the later rules so it is open to doubt as to whether those who drew up the rules intended a new situation to apply.
It's non unusual or controversial within political parties for a leader to need the confidence of the MPs they lead in order to retain their position. Although the membership mandate may seem to obviously trump that in your view, and all the arguments for thinking so is very compelling, it would constitute a break from rather than an adherence to the conventional rules of how parliamentary parties operate as far as I can tell. There would be negatives as well as positives to such a significant change in relationship between the movement and the party that as yet have not been fully considered.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

mbc1955 wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:
mbc1955 wrote: No, you have to be able to understand it as well...
Just so you know.
OK - apologies for taking offence.
:shock:
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

I agree a centrist pro-Remain party would be too right wing particularly if Tories were on board.

Am usually a person who dislikes people saying ''I'm voting for ....fill in party/candidate of your choice...to send a message to the politicians'' but am coming close to feeling that at the moment.
Have never felt so abandoned as a voter, even after general elections.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

refitman wrote:
ephemerid wrote:yahyah - re. our PM issues - Refitman has sent you my email address.

Right. Murray!
Come on Tim! Andy!
I was a bit shocked to read that Henman never once managed to get into a Grand Slam final - this is Murray's 11th final.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

David Davis is a wag, tossing a grenade into the labour leadership fight. :clap:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... aq-war-mps" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Willow904 wrote:
ephemerid wrote:
Willow904 wrote: It's the bit about nominees going forward onto the ballot with no mention of the incumbent that produces doubt. Given the incumbent in the past needed to be nominated and the rules don't specifically provide for the incumbent to go forward to the ballot automatically it's not especially clear. It can be interpreted either way. Only those who drew up the rules can know what they intended, although it seems most likely this situation, with an incumbent not resigning despite not having support, was simply never anticipated in that it would be normal for the incumbent to simply get the nominations whether strictly required by the wording of the rules or not.

Perhaps the reason the incumbent is not mentioned is because he/she IS the incumbent.

Corbyn has already faced both the PLP and the membership in an open contest where there was no incumbent because Ed had gone.

I don't think there is any confusion about this - or if there is, I'm buggered if I can see it, Willow.

If he had, they could then have their open contest just like last time - but he didn't, and now they're scrabbling around trying to justify what they're doing. Well that's my view, anyway.
If he had resigned, he may or may not have got sufficient nominations from the PLP, although personally I think it would have been very close, as Anatoly mentioned earlier.

I think what maddens me most is that the members have no say in all this nonsense. They voted for Corbyn. That should be respected.
The rules in the past have had the incumbent needing nominations, as we saw with Kinnock. This hasn't been explicitly changed in any of the later rules so it is open to doubt as to whether those who drew up the rules intended a new situation to apply.
It's non unusual or controversial within political parties for a leader to need the confidence of the MPs they lead in order to retain their position. Although the membership mandate may seem to obviously trump that in your view, and all the arguments for thinking so is very compelling, it would constitute a break from rather than an adherence to the conventional rules of how parliamentary parties operate as far as I can tell. There would be negatives as well as positives to such a significant change in relationship between the movement and the party that as yet have not been fully considered.

Willow

This is becoming a bit of a broken record and my response will not change

It is a bit ambiguous
Most of the legal views you see on this say that Corbyn is on the ballot
The rules have changed since Kinnock was challenged and so the precedence is dubious

If we ignore the legal questions though...and if this goes to the courts it will be messy and does no-one any favours.

In the end I ask the question that Neill asked this morning:

Is it right and fair that Corbyn is excluded?
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Temulkar wrote:David Davis is a wag, tossing a grenade into the labour leadership fight. :clap:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... aq-war-mps" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I would as well.......doesn't help Eagle much
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

http://voxpoliticalonline.com/2016/07/0 ... read-this/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sue Dockett
Member NE Cambs CLP

Dear Angela

I live in a small deprived working class town in an area where 72% of people voted to leave the EU.
At the turn of the millenium it had a strong Labour presence running the town council and a number of councillors on the district council and had narrowly failed to take the safe Tory Westminster seat.

By the middle of the decade the party had been wiped out totally and a few years ago was replaced by UKIP as the party for working class voters. Many of those UKIP voters hate Cameron and the Tories but would not turn to Labour again at the last general election, instead they voted UKIP.

Over the past 9 months the membership of the local party has more than doubled, some new, some returning.
We were just beginning to connect with local voters again when along comes this ridiculous, unconstitutional, undemocratic coup. There was no lack of confidence in Jeremy until you lot of plotters started creating yet another lie.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

yahyah wrote:It is hard to show that sometimes isn't it ? If face to face there's the intonation and facial expression to help get things across.
My spouse and I were just discussing this very issue. I've limitations effectively transmitting my thoughts and ideas using words alone. Even emoticons don't bail me out. I appreciate the patience I'm shown here on flythenest.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

howsillyofme1 wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
ephemerid wrote:

Willow

It is a bit ambiguous
The rules have changed since Kinnock was challenged and so the precedence is dubious

If we ignore the legal questions though...and if this goes to the courts it will be messy and does no-one any favours.

That's very difficult to answer. Under the new rules drawn up by Ed Miliband, MPs had a reasonable amount of control over who went on the ballot to be presented to the membership. The present problem started when someone was nominated that didn't really have the confidence of MPs. We are now in a situation where Corbyn has steadily lost support among colleagues, whilst retaining support among the membership. I feel that both MPs and membership need to have confidence in the leader of the party and giving precedence to either the movement or the party will damage the collaboration between the two, probably irrevocably. That is to say, whether it is right or not for Corbyn to be on the ballot hardly matters, the result is equally damaging either way.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Willow904 wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:
Willow904 wrote: The rules in the past have had the incumbent needing nominations, as we saw with Kinnock. This hasn't been explicitly changed in any of the later rules so it is open to doubt as to whether those who drew up the rules intended a new situation to apply.

Willow

It is a bit ambiguous

That's very difficult to answer. Under the new rules drawn up by Ed Miliband, MPs had a reasonable amount of control over who went on the ballot to be presented to the membership. The present problem started when someone was nominated that didn't really have the confidence of MPs. We are now in a situation where Corbyn has steadily lost support among colleagues, whilst retaining support among the membership. I feel that both MPs and membership need to have confidence in the leader of the party and giving precedence to either the movement or the party will damage the collaboration between the two, probably irrevocably. That is to say, whether it is right or not for Corbyn to be on the ballot hardly matters, the result is equally damaging either way.

You are right it is very damaging....and for the way it has transpired I blame the PLP

They made the wrong calls at all stages and have been made to look stupid - it is their credibility that is shot and it is even worse after the terrible performance of Eagle today

This has been in planning for months and has been organised to a certain extent - it just hasn't worked

The fact we are in that situation needs to be laid at the feet of certain senior members of the PLP, who will now be very vulnerable to a bad reaction from their local parties

Will be interesting if Eagle is chosen as leader (and a massive if there) and is then deselected.....another rule change in the offing to reduce the power of the membership

Also, the NEC elections may be interesting....could see some unintended consequences
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@refitman

Thanks for Rule E! Conjures up images of people being locked in the attic.

Edited to add -

Or worse.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

howsillyofme1 wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:
Willow

It is a bit ambiguous

You are right it is very damaging....and for the way it has transpired I blame the PLP

They made the wrong calls at all stages and have been made to look stupid - it is their credibility that is shot and it is even worse after the terrible performance of Eagle today

This has been in planning for months and has been organised to a certain extent - it just hasn't worked

The fact we are in that situation needs to be laid at the feet of certain senior members of the PLP, who will now be very vulnerable to a bad reaction from their local parties

Will be interesting if Eagle is chosen as leader (and a massive if there) and is then deselected.....another rule change in the offing to reduce the power of the membership

Also, the NEC elections may be interesting....could see some unintended consequences

Considering the unedifying shambles that the PLP have made of trying to rid themselves of one Jeremy Corbyn,the elected LP leader,how on earth do they think they can rid the country of a Tory government?
Especially since they have already lost the whole of Scotland,for which even the most ardent anti Corbynite would be hard pressed to blame him.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

Rebecca wrote:

Considering the unedifying shambles that the PLP have made of trying to rid themselves of one Jeremy Corbyn,the elected LP leader,how on earth do they think they can rid the country of a Tory government?
Especially since they have already lost the whole of Scotland,for which even the most ardent anti Corbynite would be hard pressed to blame him.[/quote]

This is far more cynical an answer than I like to give, but I can come to no other conclusion: because they are politicians.
The truth ferret speaks!
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07 ... omises-sc/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?
In a direct appeal to blue collar voters, she said she would try and emulate Ruth Davidson’s success in Scotland by putting the Conservatives “at the service of ordinary, working people.” She concluded that she wants “a country that works for everyone, regardless of their background.”
Hmmm.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Forgetting extremes, the so called complacency or indeed apathy of the keyboard warrior is a largely untapped resource politically and one I believe mocked in certain quarters but nevertheless one that I thought Corbyn takes seriously. It is the future unless you'd rather see it on the streets.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... -tea-party" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A controversial rightwing American lobbying group that denies climate change science and promotes gun ownership paid for the Tory prime ministerial hopeful Andrea Leadsom to fly to the United States to attend its conferences.

The American Legislative Exchange Council – Alec – is a neoconservative organisation with close links to members of the Tea Party movement. Championed by supporters of the free market, it has been attacked by critics for exerting a “powerful and undemocratic” influence on US politics.
Someone who used to comment at the G used to post a lot of links about ALEC. I can't remember who it was. Was is anyone here? Or does anyone here remember who it was? I find it quite alarming that one of their plants could be on the cusp of becoming PM of the UK.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

Willow904 wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... -tea-party
A controversial rightwing American lobbying group that denies climate change science and promotes gun ownership paid for the Tory prime ministerial hopeful Andrea Leadsom to fly to the United States to attend its conferences.

The American Legislative Exchange Council – Alec – is a neoconservative organisation with close links to members of the Tea Party movement. Championed by supporters of the free market, it has been attacked by critics for exerting a “powerful and undemocratic” influence on US politics.
Someone who used to comment at the G used to post a lot of links about ALEC. I can't remember who it was. Was is anyone here? Or does anyone here remember who it was? I find it quite alarming that one of their plants could be on the cusp of becoming PM of the UK.

Believe it was Arsene Knows
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

yahyah wrote:

Right. Murray!

Have sent an email.

Now it's my turn to have a problem - I haven't received it!
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Willow904 wrote:... Someone who used to comment at the G used to post a lot of links about ALEC. I can't remember who it was. Was is anyone here? Or does anyone here remember who it was? I find it quite alarming that one of their plants could be on the cusp of becoming PM of the UK.
ArseneKnows, Willow. https://profile.theguardian.com/user/id/2969301. ALEC has quite a few Conservative Brexit friends too.

Postscript:... and on the subject of ALEC, Murdoch's name is never far behind.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Thanks guys. I think it was ArseneKnows I was thinking of. They got me looking into Atlantic Bridge as well, I think. Very prescient. Fortunately the media claws appear to be out for Leadsom. We could yet pull back from the brink.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Jolyon Maugham QC has just Tweeted this -

"Labour leadership: pre-2010, where there was an incumbent, everyone needed nominations; post-, only challengers do"
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

mbc1955 wrote:
Rebecca wrote:

Especially since they have already lost the whole of Scotland,for which even the most ardent anti Corbynite would be hard pressed to blame him.
This is far more cynical an answer than I like to give, but I can come to no other conclusion: because they are politicians.[/quote]

This episode which has taken everyone's attention and time away from fighting the shambolic Conservatives, will go down in the history books as the biggest lost opportunity ever.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07 ... omises-sc/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?
In a direct appeal to blue collar voters, she said she would try and emulate Ruth Davidson’s success in Scotland by putting the Conservatives “at the service of ordinary, working people.” She concluded that she wants “a country that works for everyone, regardless of their background.”
Hmmm.
Remember Dave's speeches?

Violin time again.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

ephemerid wrote:Jolyon Maugham QC has just Tweeted this -

"Labour leadership: pre-2010, where there was an incumbent, everyone needed nominations; post-, only challengers do"
Given that JM is in no way a Corbyn supporter, that is interesting.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

a challenger being someone who ... (cough) ... tries to win a competition, fight, or sports event from someone who has previously won it?

:)
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... arty-group" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?
Federal UK (again).

To me this sounds good (in principle)
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

ohsocynical wrote:
mbc1955 wrote:
Rebecca wrote:
This is far more cynical an answer than I like to give, but I can come to no other conclusion: because they are politicians.

This episode which has taken everyone's attention and time away from fighting the shambolic Conservatives, will go down in the history books as the biggest lost opportunity ever.
The opportunity isn't clear cut, though. I don't actually see how any party can now appeal to both those voters who wish to see an end to immigration and those who feel membership of the single market is essential to the UK's economic security. Will Corbyn oppose the Tories who want to remain in the single market or will he oppose the Tories who want to take us out completely?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:

Given that JM is in no way a Corbyn supporter, that is interesting.
Indeed. Though proceeding without Corbyn as a candidate would be inconceivably stupid in any case. So Angela Duck probably thinks it's a good idea ;-)
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

On the subject of contempt of parliament, I've previously had exchanges with the Sparrow about Dave's contempt that he has defended with presentational arguments, although he has come mighty close to calling him a liar since. Anyway examples that cannot be argued in such terms are occasions that he stood at the dispatch box clearly stating that disabled tenants were unaffected by the under-occupancy penalty. There are others that escape me for the moment.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Willow904 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
mbc1955 wrote: This is far more cynical an answer than I like to give, but I can come to no other conclusion: because they are politicians.

The opportunity isn't clear cut, though. I don't actually see how any party can now appeal to both those voters who wish to see an end to immigration and those who feel membership of the single market is essential to the UK's economic security. Will Corbyn oppose the Tories who want to remain in the single market or will he oppose the Tories who want to take us out completely?
The opportunity has to be a grand coalition of the left, centre and nationalists who offer a completely new settlement. Bye bye Queen. Bye bye Lords. Bye bye FPTP.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

utopiandreams wrote:On the subject of contempt of parliament, I've previously had exchanges with the Sparrow about Dave's contempt that he has defended with presentational arguments, although he has come mighty close to calling him a liar since. Anyway examples that cannot be argued in such terms are occasions that he stood at the dispatch box clearly stating that disabled tenants were unaffected by the under-occupancy penalty. There are others that escape me for the moment.
The very recent Suliman Gani thing was clear cut.

I believe it would be demonstrable that Dave's team knew when they prepared the ISIS comment that it was a lie.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Unless I'm missing something, the 2010 rule change explanation is to require challengers to seek nominations, nothing about the incumbent.
Cm_xtv_WcAAKXbY.jpg
Cm_xtv_WcAAKXbY.jpg (44.03 KiB) Viewed 6885 times
Last edited by TobyLatimer on Sun 10 Jul, 2016 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Leadsom's Tips ‏@LeadsomsTips Jul 9

Being a mum is a great way to gain the upper hand in complex negotiations that you don't really understand.
TR'sGhost
Minister of State

Post by TR'sGhost »

Willow904 wrote:The rules in the past have had the incumbent needing nominations, as we saw with Kinnock. This hasn't been explicitly changed in any of the later rules so it is open to doubt as to whether those who drew up the rules intended a new situation to apply.
My (well, actually our, Mrs TRG and I being in agreement) reading of the rules is that they very specifically state that if there is a sitting leader and someone wishes to challenge the leader then that someone needs the support of 20% of Labour MPs. The leader requires no nominations. If they did the rules would say so and they do not.

The only persuasive relevance the old rules might have is that they did say the leader would need nominations. The exclusion of that requirement in the current rules should therefore be regarded as deliberate, not some error of drafting that nobody noticed or in some unspecified way meant to be read by inserting clauses from previous rules that the current rules replaced. Which, if anything, reinforces the argument that the leader does not need to be nominated to go forward into the ballot.

It would be like arguing that because the current legislation and sentencing guidelines for murder don't mention capital punishment at all, but previous legislation included it and it was the conventional, in fact sole, sentence for murder for 1,000 years then the current law and guidelines should be read as including capital punishment in the sentences available.

I respectfully submit the rules are not vague but absolutely and unambiguously clear. I suppose it might be arguable that if there's a challenger with sufficient nominations the existing leader is simply excluded entirely from the ballot, but if I were a lawyer I'd be advising my client that while making that argument would be good for my bank balance I find it hard to see how a judge or panel of appellate judges would find it remotely persuasive. I can't easily imagine the courts throwing out a big chunk of the Labour party rulebook because in their opinion that's not how a political party is "conventionally" run. And if they did it would be a very alarming precedent.

Though if they did, all that would achieve is the Labour party having no mechanism by which the leader can be challenged or removed unless they become "permanently unavailable". New rules would need to be drafted, internally legally scrutinised, accepted by the party and in all probability have at least one more round trip through the courts. An acrimonious, damaging and drawn-out process at the very least.

And politically, how desperate does it look to be so sure your candidate will be defeated in a straight fight that you run off to court to fly legal kites in an attempt to ensure there's no election and your candidate becomes leader by default? What does it say about the putative "trusted unity leader candidate" that their supporters are so certain of the candidate's unifying effect and outstanding appeal they're frantic to avoid an election?

I forget which order I put them in but Watson and Eagle were my first two choices for deputy leader. I don't think I'll be making the mistake of voting for either of them again.
I'm getting tired of calming down....
TR'sGhost
Minister of State

Post by TR'sGhost »

fedup59 wrote:If nothing else this whole debacle appears to have strengthened the collective identity and shared beliefs of the rather larger group of people that make up the organisational level below the PLP.

So there has been an enormous growth in membership numbers, increased identification with the democratic procedures of the existing Labour party structures in how members relate to their local MPs, and clear expectations of how accountability of PLP members is understood within those organisational structures.

What appears to be lacking is a response from the PLP that explains why this is not so and apparently once elected they become accountable to no one but themselves between elections.
That's been the position of a good proportion of the PLP for as long as there's been a PLP.
TR'sGhost
Minister of State

Post by TR'sGhost »

mbc1955 wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/diction ... challenger" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
challenger
noun [ C ] UK /ˈtʃæl.ɪn.dʒər/ US /ˈtʃæl.ɪn.dʒɚ/
someone who tries to win a competition, fight, or sports event from someone who has previously won it
I may be having some kind of oversimplification moment, but I don't see how this is unclear. To me it seems the manifestation of clarity.
It's easy to see you're not a lawyer.

Though as an ex-lawyer, I'd be wanting to argue Corbyn's case.
I'm not a lawyer, merely someone who argued law for a living for a while. But personally, if I were a cynic I'd be inclined to argue the anti-Corbyn case. Not in any expectation of winning, but a desperate and litigious-minded client with a poor case and lots of money could do my bank balance no end of good.
TR'sGhost
Minister of State

Post by TR'sGhost »

ohsocynical wrote:
refitman wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
Thanks. Just out of interest, do you happen to know what Rule E says, please (bone idle, me)? (I don't suppose it's relevant, though, otherwise you'd have shown it.)
Rule E.jpg
Rule E2.jpg
I'm not very good at interpreting stuff like this, so in simple terms, isn't permanently unavailable the key word?
Those are indeed the key words.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

ohsocynical wrote:Leadsom's Tips ‏@LeadsomsTips Jul 9

Being a mum is a great way to gain the upper hand in complex negotiations that you don't really understand.
My Loathesome Tip (no.6,793)
"As a mother, I have witnessed my nanny allowing the children to play with my make-up. The results were so delightful that I apply my own lipstick in a similar fashion. Non-mothers, obviously, lack this visible manifestation of parental experience".

My Loathesome Tip (no.6,794)
"As a mother, I know I didn't really mean that non-mothers have no obvious input into lipstick application policy. I just said something that the media have grossly misreported and I can tell you, as a mother, that Saint Margaret had exactly the same problem".

Cont'd P.94

(That's enough Loathesome Tips, Ed.)
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Ephie - I sent it without the underscore between the two words.

Sorry, have tried again.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Just picked this up on Twitter -

"How many Leadsome supporters does it take to change a lightbulb?"

"I did not say there was a lightbulb that needed changing, To imply I did is absolutely disgusting".
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Cm8oSEJWgAICx4s.jpg
Cm8oSEJWgAICx4s.jpg (133.23 KiB) Viewed 6799 times
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Cm8oSpOWIAAfKs-.jpg
Cm8oSpOWIAAfKs-.jpg (125.33 KiB) Viewed 6799 times
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

If the incumbent is not on the ballot, then the challenger has nothing or no-one to challenge so it then becomes a coronation of sorts ?

Unless Burnham, Unumma, Starmer etc are waiting in the wings for some clarity on the legality of Corbyn's position.

And if in the event someone from the right of the party wins, what is to stop someone from the left doing exactly the same immediately after the new leader is installed and starts the whole thing off again ?

I'm not a lawyer btw.