Monday 11th July 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 11th July 2016

Post by RogerOThornhill »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Actually one good thing is that the bind that the Tories find themselves in now of their own making i.e. with Cameron resigning; will make the decision to have a Fixed Term Parliament without a clause for such an eventuality a really poor one.

Well done Dave - another masterstroke.

http://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ ... ry/SN06111
Early elections can be held only:

if a motion for an early general election is agreed either by at least two-thirds of the whole House or without division; or
if a motion of no confidence is passed and no alternative government is confirmed by the Commons within 14 days.
When i posted this I forgot to point out the date that this was written...

Published Friday, June 24, 2016

Well...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Asa Winstanley ‏@AsaWinstanley 5h5 hours ago
Realistic analysis of Labour NEC votes shows any attempt to keep Corbyn off ballot likely to be voted down 20-13

Tom Dale @tom_d_
My best attempt to work out the balance of power on Labour's NEC, if it comes to a vote on whether Corbyn can stand:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Leadsom"- a smear campaign against yourself
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 30421.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Angela Eagle faces the prospect of a no confidence vote from her own constituency Labour party, it has been revealed just hours before she launches her formal leadership challenge against Jeremy Corbyn.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Pinned Tweet
Louise Mensch ‏@LouiseMensch 3h3 hours ago

As @andrealeadsom quits the race after the smear campaign I thank her for delivering #Brexit like a true leader. What an achievement!

:lol:

On a level of wrongness rarely seen.
Yes. Do you think she has her "Twitter" account on some sort of predictive text thing? That's the only way I can account for the twaddle she comes out with so consistently.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

You have to hand it to the Tories, even when they completely fuck up a leadership election they manage to make it look like they intended it all along.

PLP take note.
Donald Trump: Making America Hate Again
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

JonnyT1234 wrote:You have to hand it to the Tories, even when they completely fuck up a leadership election they manage to make it look like they intended it all along.

PLP take note.
An alternative mass media is too expensive.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

The party's HQ and the leader's office have received contradictory legal advice on whether he requires 50 nominations. But it is the NEC that will ultimately decide.

Those I spoke to yesterday suggested that the 33-member body could rule that Corbyn requires nominations (particularly if a secret vote is held). But senior Labour figures have told me this afternoon that there is "no doubt" that the leader has the numbers required to prevail ("whatever the legal advice").

But following Eagle's launch and Theresa May's early victory, all the momentum is towards a swift contest. Owen Smith, who is considering standing, will now need to decide whether to fight Eagle to become the rebels' "unity candidate".

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk ... hip-ballot" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Christopher Hope ‏@christopherhope 5m5 minutes ago

David Cameron will get one last PMQs on Wednesday and Britain gets a new PM on Thursday, according to sources close to Theresa May's camp

Interesting to see how he plays this given the circumstances of his departure - fortunately I'll miss it as I'm back in the library on Wednesday.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

So long and thanks for all the fish(pointing)
Last edited by HindleA on Mon 11 Jul, 2016 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fedup59
Committee Member

Post by fedup59 »

Afternoon all

I know I'm probably being naive but surely this means the plotters or potential saviours of the Labour party (whichever you think they are) now have a simple choice if the whole basis of the coup was that corbyn would lose the 2020 election and therefore they needed a change now. They can either continue with their challenge and be out of power for four more years or they can get behind an election call and be proved right or wrong now. Four years out of power, possibly five years out of power regrouping or in power this year.

Simple choices really...
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

LBCVerified account
‏@LBC

Leading law expert makes it very clear that Corbyn will have to be on Labour ballot. Listen: http://l-bc.co/rfshOG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

fedup59 wrote:Afternoon all

I know I'm probably being naive but surely this means the plotters or potential saviours of the Labour party (whichever you think they are) now have a simple choice if the whole basis of the coup was that corbyn would lose the 2020 election and therefore they needed a change now. They can either continue with their challenge and be out of power for four more years or they can get behind an election call and be proved right or wrong now. Four years out of power, possibly five years out of power regrouping or in power this year.

Simple choices really...
Yes, but that would be to act both logically and democratically, and I think we've seen enough by now to recognise the flaws in that...
The truth ferret speaks!
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Laura Kuenssberg ‏@bbclaurak 44s45 seconds ago
Cameron to leave Number 10 on Wednesday

Don't the door hit your arse on the way out...

Three years earlier than he probably thought - that must hurt. Wonder whether May will offer him a role or whether he'll simply leave the Commons? An early GE might see the back of him.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Oh I do hope so...

Is Sadiq Khan cancelling the Garden Bridge by stealth?

http://www.citymetric.com/politics/sadi ... ealth-2247
Here’s a mayoral spokesman quoted in that AJ article:

Sadiq Khan has been clear that no new public funds should be committed to the Garden Bridge, and he has pledged to make the project more open and transparent – standards that were not always met under the previous administration.

So, no, Khan hasn’t scrapped the Bridge – he’s just requiring it to live within its means. After all, the Garden Bridge Trust has told us repeatedly that there’s a robust financial case for the Bridge: so getting it built without dipping into the public purse yet again should be easy, right?

In other words: either the Garden Bridge happens, without Sadiq Khan committing another penny, and he’ll be able to take the credit (just as Boris Johnson took the credit for Ken Livingstone’s cycle hire scheme); or the Garden Bridge doesn’t happen, and it’ll be because the previous administration mucked up the finances.

Either way, Khan wins, and he doesn’t have to be the mean-spirited mayor who cancelled something beautiful.
Last edited by RogerOThornhill on Mon 11 Jul, 2016 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Liz gets wind that Dave is on the way to hand in his resignation
brenda.jpg
brenda.jpg (69.08 KiB) Viewed 6164 times
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

The thing about Teresa May getting the job after being Home Secretary is that she's got some explaining to do about that net migration target...difficult to come out with the "Oh well, blame the previous Home Sec"
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

mbc1955 wrote:

Simple choices really...
Yes, but that would be to act both logically and democratically, and I think we've seen enough by now to recognise the flaws in that...

Spot on, people :rock:

The 1922 Committee has yet to pronounce on whether they will insist on playing by their own rules - viz: there should be at least two candidates. If they don't, we'll have the coronation of "Non-Mother" Theresa whether we and the Tory faithful like it or or not.

May's job, it seems to me, is expected to be that of "a safe pair of hands". As we have had a speech that could have come from any recent Labour leader from her, it's anyone's guess what she'd actually do as PM. Snooping in a caring kinda way, maybe?

Eagle has made a bit of a prat of herself, I think. Her campaign launch looked like a pink perfume ad, her website (in true Blue Peter style, one which she prepared earlier) is a bit "meh", and to her chagrin and my amusement, all the reporters at the launch ran away.

Now we have the smart money betting that the NEC will say that Corbyn has to be on the ballot, so Eagle is going to lose anyway. So who will step up? Eagle claims she's the "unity" candidate, but I don't think many people actually believe that after her antics.

I think they should all go home right now. I think we should have a GE (with absolutely no campaigning whatsoever and media silence) in a few months time.
The country will have run itself (a bit like Belgium) and the populace will see that we don't need these prats at all, really.

Then I can be Queen and tell everyone what to do.

Perfick.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Simple choices really...

It doesn't look like there will be any election.

Tories have a comfortable majority, and 4 more years. Why risk it is I guess the reasoning.

There is precisely zero chance of the 172 giving Corbyn another chance, and it is just wishful thinking to expect them to rally round now.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Pam Ayres -

"Now it's just a one-horse race
Andrea couldn't stand the pace
See our future shining plainer
Leaving led by a Remainer"
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

"The Labour Party has called for an immediate General Election"

CON: 38% (+1)
LAB: 30% (-)
UKIP: 15% (-)
LDEM: 8% (-)
GRN: 4% (-)
(via ICM / 08 - 10 Jul)
Chgs. from 01-03/07.

That is pre-May, of course.

Indicative of the difference that the Tory leadership contest ends on the day the Labour one begins.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Robert Peston ‏@Peston 2h2 hours ago

Significant that first formal statement on behalf of @TheresaMay2016 was from Chris Grayling. Treasury thinks he may be next Chancellor
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Of course one of the good things for Corbyn of any Autumn or (more probably) May General Election is that the 'plotters' overwhelmingly have seats in marginals.

So, the expected loss of, say, 100 seats would have a distinct upside.

From his perspective.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ohsocynical wrote:Robert Peston ‏@Peston 2h2 hours ago

Significant that first formal statement on behalf of @TheresaMay2016 was from Chris Grayling. Treasury thinks he may be next Chancellor

I wonder where they'll tuck Osborne?
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Grayling is a moron and an incompetent.

Shockingly, it looks like this person will be minister for Brexit.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Briefcase Michael
‏@BriefcaseMike

Lots of Tories in Commons asserting the referendum result was mandatory when in law it was only advisory.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Here's the moment Angela was abandoned by the media circus [youtube]Nk3wzkDoZ5g[/youtube]
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Reuters UK ‏@ReutersUK 1h1 hour ago

BREAKING: UK government minister Penrose says lawyers believe invoking Article 50 would require royal approval.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Grayling is a moron and an incompetent."

To name his better qualities.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Queen abdicates.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

SpinningHugo wrote:

Grayling is a moron and an incompetent.

Shockingly, it looks like this person will be minister for Brexit.
Agree with the first but the second...Oliver Letwin, no?
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

ohsocynical wrote:Reuters UK ‏@ReutersUK 1h1 hour ago

BREAKING: UK government minister Penrose says lawyers believe invoking Article 50 would require royal approval.
Would it have been too much to ask for the Govt to sort this out BEFORE the referendum?
Should they not actually know this sort of stuff?
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

HindleA wrote:Queen abdicates.
Step forward ephie x :D
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

If only.
The truth ferret speaks!
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

stavros ‏@Greekboy8 1h1 hour ago

RT Theresa May hasn't even been installed as PM & Right Now Tories are fighting in commons re Leaving EU @Skynews @Bbcnews @lbc #Radio4
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

HindleA wrote:"Grayling is a moron and an incompetent."

To name his better qualities.
In other words Tory business as usual....
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

TobyLatimer wrote:

I endeavoured to amass a crowd to storm the palace,apart from a few tourists and bemused pigeons I was the only one that turned up,the prospective Queen went to bloody bed.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

TobyLatimer wrote:
On second thoughts you can only step forward if your name is on the ballot.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

51 peasant signaturies.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Peter Smith ‏@Redpeter99 4h4 hours ago

For those planning to resign today I've heard that @bbcNews has a vacant slot between 3.27 and 3.29.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

My overwhelming concern is for Larry the cat.

He is o.k.according to my sources he is to be the new Home Secretary.
Last edited by HindleA on Mon 11 Jul, 2016 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Leadsom was right to withdraw – her candidacy was nonsense on stilts

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... y-nonsense
Andrea Leadsom’s withdrawal from the Conservative party leadership race just after noon today was the fruit of honest self-assessment: her candidacy was always nonsense on stilts, a by-product of referendum hysteria and of a political culture so askew that obscurity and inexperience can be presented as strengths.

In her letter to Graham Brady, the chair of the 1922 Committee of Tory backbenchers, her core argument was that she lacked the parliamentary support to justify her continued campaign, or to make sense of potential victory in the forthcoming poll of the party’s 150,000 members. This was the defiant flourish in the text: I might have won, you know, as the authentic voice of the pro-Brexit Tory grassroots.
Pretty sure that one of our many onlookers said that she was there on merit...

ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

HindleA wrote:51 peasant signaturies.
Oiks, plebs, and stock at the back of the queue.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton 6h6 hours ago

Corbynites think it's an error for Eagle to launch with Hilary Benn. "Looks like the (Iraq and Syria) war party," says one.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Michael ‏@TheRightArticle 6h6 hours ago

How do Corbyn opponents explain the 'loss' of Scotland, rise of UKIP & loss of 5mn votes & 4000 councillors all before Corbyn became leader?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

RogerOThornhill wrote: Pretty sure that one of our many onlookers said that she was there on merit...

Well that had the desired effect within minutes - bloody hell does he sit there with this place open all day?

What a loser.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Robert Peston ‏@Peston 6h6 hours ago

So @TheresaMay2016 our new prime minister. Heavens to Betsy
Maeght
Committee Chair

Post by Maeght »

Kevin MaguireVerified account ‏@Kevin_Maguire 1h1 hour ago
TV parade of Con MPs insisting Cameron was fab, May will be fab and Leadsom would've been fab is hilariously shameless #abfabtories
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Blimey, I have a day out and look what happens. Another Brexiteer boggers off and leaves the mess to someone else.
Did someone have some dirt on Leadsom ?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Cm7P5NRWgAA735E.jpg
Cm7P5NRWgAA735E.jpg (92.09 KiB) Viewed 6282 times
Cm7P5NRWgAA735E.jpg
Cm7P5NRWgAA735E.jpg (92.09 KiB) Viewed 6282 times