Monday 11th July 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 11th July 2016

Post by RogerOThornhill »

One thought I just had about Teresa May being PM - she doesn't go in for the same type of sneering or bullshit that Cameron does...which may well leave the political journalists who like that kind of thing at PMQs a bit disappointed.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Sorry about the double post. It was shock at some of the names being bandied around.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Has anyone any views on Eagle's pink campaign logo ?
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

TobyLatimer wrote:
TobyLatimer wrote:
HindleA wrote:Queen abdicates.
Step forward ephie x :D
On second thoughts you can only step forward if your name is on the ballot.

Stuff and nonsense.

Her Glorious Unserene Majesty Queen Ephie, Empress of Nests, hereby decrees that no ballot is required. I'm in charge, end of.

Oiks, plebs, and stock need not form an orderly queue, they are to form a government with immediate effect. (That's you, that is)

We will now have a party. (No, not that sort, you political nerds)

Lady Ohso is in charge of catering, and is expected to use the kitchen knives to devastating effect if Letbin has the gall to turn up.
We want cake. Lots and lots of cake.
HRH Toby is in charge of the invitations. Lots of diadems and stuff, and nothing - NOTHING - that is in any way pink or has a scrawled "ARRGGHHH" masquerading as a signature.
Lord High Whatnot (can't remember, I'm very old you know) Hindle is fashion consultant by appointment. He will design my jewel encrusted bedsocks and shawl.

All politicians are expected to remain silent, as anything they say will taken down and used in evidence by Her Honour super-citizen JA, who will put them in the stocks if they speak.

Right. Let's get on with it.

Will someone please tell the Civil Service to carry on as usual, please?

Thenk you.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

I meant extra dirty dirt ;)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

RobertSnozers wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:One thought I just had about Teresa May being PM - she doesn't go in for the same type of sneering or bullshit that Cameron does...which may well leave the political journalists who like that kind of thing at PMQs a bit disappointed.
You think? I'd lay money on paeans to statesmanlike May, rising above the cheap theatricals of Punch and Judy politics, while Corbyn, well, he just doesn't have any good zingers to put heart in his backbenchers.
Well maybe - but I remember when there's been a few of those with Cameron and the journos have got bored after a couple of weeks of that.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

TheBirminghamSix ‏@TheBirmingham6 21m21 minutes ago
Incredible #imwithCorbyn

Well done Twitter!
Angela Eagles Facebook right now.
CnGNpH3WIAA3xuv.jpg
CnGNpH3WIAA3xuv.jpg (25.85 KiB) Viewed 6524 times

Silly silly woman. Although perhaps she's experiencing just a fraction of what Corbyn's had to go through.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Caroline Lucas ‏@CarolineLucas 2h2 hours ago

Rising pressure in HoC calling for parliamentary vote *before* #Article50 - outrageous that Govt planning to use Royal Prerogative instead
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Can't remember if I mentioned it, but UKIP Welsh Assembly members nominated Neil Hamilton for...wait for it...the Welsh Assembly Standards Committee. You couldn't make it up.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote: Pretty sure that one of our many onlookers said that she was there on merit...

:lol:
Well that had the desired effect within minutes - bloody hell does he sit there with this place open all day?

What a loser.
Without historic context that might be misconstrued?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

tinybgoat wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote: Pretty sure that one of our many onlookers said that she was there on merit...

:lol:
Well that had the desired effect within minutes - bloody hell does he sit there with this place open all day?

What a loser.
It was less than a week ago when all of the stuff about Leadsom's CV had already come out. And the "Worst treasury minister ever".
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Owen Smith to run as well

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/po ... leadership" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good for them. They will lose but the attempt has to be made.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

So where is this wonderful candidate Hugo ? The one we should all vote for, who will be competent and the voters will love ?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Kevin SchofieldVerified account
‏@PolhomeEditor

EXCL Owen Smith to run for Labour leadership - and could launch his campaign tomorrow

http://polho.me/2a2J7zv
So it looks as if this is the cowardly rat who's been hiding behind Angela's skirts. I knew there had to be one.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Eagle was very poor today, even the most rabid anti-Corbynite has to admit that.

And the pink branding and logo were both incredibly naff - more smug but utterly clueless "consultants" at work, perchance?

Smith has something about him, and may be smart enough to stay away from the most toxic Blairites.

I could see myself voting for him tbh, despite what RS just said and his faux pas over freedom of movement.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
tinybgoat wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote: Well that had the desired effect within minutes - bloody hell does he sit there with this place open all day?

What a loser.
It was less than a week ago when all of the stuff about Leadsom's CV had already come out. And the "Worst treasury minister ever".
Sorry, I'm being unclear.
I meant without knowing about specific onlooker,
it might infer that others sitting all day with ftn open were losers.
(wasn't totally serious)
;)
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

From a design point of view Eagle's jacket had a salmon pink tone, whereas her logo was pink from the blue spectrum. If you are going to try and do that stuff you have to do it properly or it just looks naff.

Smith sounds good in writing, but his debate performance in Wales was poor.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Nice piece in the Welsh press about the eleven refugees that my county has given homes.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales ... h-11593610" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 30841.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One her backers, Heather Wheeler, told Sky News: “it has been the most dreadful few days for Andrea and her family. Nobody should have been put through what she has been put through. She is a bigger person than this.”
So much more dreadful than the years of shit that Brown had to put up with - and yet he still had the decency to hang around and sort at that old global banking crisis thing.

IT MAKES ME SEETHE!
Last edited by tinyclanger2 on Mon 11 Jul, 2016 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I know about that, and have commented on it myself before. This is a chance for him to show that he can indeed do better.

(reply to yahyah about OS)
Last edited by AnatolyKasparov on Mon 11 Jul, 2016 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

yahyah wrote:So where is this wonderful candidate Hugo ? The one we should all vote for, who will be competent and the voters will love ?
Oh either Smith or Eagle is better than Corbyn by far. They won't win a general election, the damage to Labour from the last year is far too great by now to be reversed before a General Election, but they would save it as a viable political party.

They won't win of course. They'll lose. Which will mean we will carry on as we now are, with the 172 on the backbenches, and the Campaign Group and Andy Burnham running the shadow cabinet (until the latter goes to Manchester if he is lucky).

Next year it will be the same again: another challenge.

So it is now a race. Will Corbyn, McDonnell and Milne be able to transform the Labour Parliamentary party (through deselections etc) or will the members finally tire of Corbyn and elect someone from the mainstream of the PLP. He won't last forever.

All that is over is the opening period where the bulk of the PLP tried to make it work. We won't be going back to that ever.

of course, by the Spring May may pull the trigger and call an election, and Labour would be completely crushed.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Eagle was very poor today, even the most rabid anti-Corbynite has to admit that.

And the pink branding and logo were both incredibly naff - more smug but utterly clueless "consultants" at work, perchance?

Smith has something about him, and may be smart enough to stay away from the most toxic Blairites.

I could see myself voting for him tbh, despite what RS just said and his faux pas over freedom of movement.
Vote for a snivelling coward who's been hiding behind a womans skirts and has let her take the flak even if she is a silly cow? How could you.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

The damage to Labour caused by 'moderates' telling the media Labour are unelectable, and Corbyn useless, will take a long time to mend.

If I shoot myself in the foot, who is to blame ? My foot ?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

ohsocynical wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Eagle was very poor today, even the most rabid anti-Corbynite has to admit that.

Vote for a snivelling coward who's been hiding behind a womans skirts and has let her take the flak even if she is a silly cow? How could you.
I hear what you say, and understand how it could be seen that way.

But I will judge the candidates on their merits.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 30841.html
One her backers, Heather Wheeler, told Sky News: “it has been the most dreadful few days for Andrea and her family. Nobody should have been put through what she has been put through. She is a bigger person than this.”
So much more dreadful than the years of shit that Brown had to put up with - and yet he still had the decency to hang around and sort at that old global banking crisis thing.

IT MAKES ME SEETHE!

Have a :hug: They aren't worth the energy it takes to be angry.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

SpinningHugo wrote: of course, by the Spring May may pull the trigger and call an election,
You know every well that this can't happen without assistance from the opposition or unless the FTP Act is repealed.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

The end of the Labour Party is nigh,I suppose as others have said after electing a leader whose main conviction is that the PLP is the enemy of the working class it was somewhat inevitable,but hey the membership went up.No point in pleading for sense,many ironies,a strike action with overwhelming support blamed on a few initial rabble rousers,condemned,to name the most obvious.You cannot lead without your workforce,by which I mean people that actually have to work with him.I notice the explanations as to why,vary in every increasing levels of delusionary conspiracy theories with so many inherent contradictions your head spins around incessently to the question of "democracy".I am a simple soul whilst others may,as of course they are perfectly entitled to do and it is legitimate consider them,I don't possess the intellect nor knowledge to adequately contemplate,beyond MP's have competing interests to consider,representing constituents as a whole which to them is being elected and getting their party elected to implement their best shot to deliver,I see no betrayal in not exercising that according to the view of a few,beyond the thinking seems to be ,actually I am doing it for you I just consider the particularity of the route different from you.The mutual McCarthyite injunctions,the venom,the total loss of sense but above all sensibilities is truly sad to witness.There will be no recovery.

NHS,Open University and the World's first Minister for the Disabled are my particular top three.

Curtain closes.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

HindleA wrote:My overwhelming concern is for Larry the cat.

He is o.k.according to my sources he is to be the new Home Secretary.
which reminds me - did we ever find out how tarquin voted?
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

Do morals count as merits? They do for me.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

That's your script Hindle. Can see why you might feel like that, but there are other ways of viewing the situation.

I'm not, and never have been, a hard leftist. I liked Ed who was hardly red in tooth and claw.
But the way Corbyn has been treated, and the way some of the party have made more effort to destroy him than the Tories is sickening.

If the curtain closes, there will be a lot of people to blame, including some who feel themselves the poor victims of the piece.
Last edited by yahyah on Mon 11 Jul, 2016 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

HindleA wrote:The end of the Labour Party is nigh,I suppose as others have said after electing a leader whose main conviction is that the PLP is the enemy of the working class it was somewhat inevitable,but hey the membership went up.No point in pleading for sense,many ironies,a strike action with overwhelming support blamed on a few initial rabble rousers,condemned,to name the most obvious.You cannot lead without your workforce,by which I mean people that actually have to work with him.I notice the explanations as to why,vary in every increasing levels of delusionary conspiracy theories with so many inherent contradictions your head spins around incessently to the question of "democracy".I am a simple soul whilst others may,as of course they are perfectly entitled to do and it is legitimate consider them,I don't possess the intellect nor knowledge to adequately contemplate,beyond MP's have competing interests to consider,representing constituents as a whole which to them is being elected and getting their party elected to implement their best shot to deliver,I see no betrayal in not exercising that according to the view of a few,beyond the thinking seems to be ,actually I am doing it for you I just consider the particularity of the route different from you.The mutual McCarthyite injunctions,the venom,the total loss of sense but above all sensibilities is truly sad to witness.There will be no recovery.

NHS,Open University and the World's first Minister for the Disabled are my particular top three.

Curtain closes.
The real point is that the present day PLP seems no better at winning elections, and no more "competent", than Corbyn.

The stench of mediocre time servers with no identifiable beliefs or moral core has become overpowering.

And far, far, FAR too many SPADs and "researchers" and consultants and lobbyists. Parasites, basically.

Whoever wins the leadership, major change there is required.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Talking of parasites, we've not heard much from Simon Danczuk lately.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote: of course, by the Spring May may pull the trigger and call an election,
You know every well that this can't happen without assistance from the opposition or unless the FTP Act is repealed.
of course. Either is easily done. Labour won't oppose, but will support.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
HindleA wrote:The end of the Labour Party is nigh,I suppose as others have said after electing a leader whose main conviction is that the PLP is the enemy of the working class it was somewhat inevitable,but hey the membership went up.No point in pleading for sense,many ironies,a strike action with overwhelming support blamed on a few initial rabble rousers,condemned,to name the most obvious.You cannot lead without your workforce,by which I mean people that actually have to work with him.I notice the explanations as to why,vary in every increasing levels of delusionary conspiracy theories with so many inherent contradictions your head spins around incessently to the question of "democracy".I am a simple soul whilst others may,as of course they are perfectly entitled to do and it is legitimate consider them,I don't possess the intellect nor knowledge to adequately contemplate,beyond MP's have competing interests to consider,representing constituents as a whole which to them is being elected and getting their party elected to implement their best shot to deliver,I see no betrayal in not exercising that according to the view of a few,beyond the thinking seems to be ,actually I am doing it for you I just consider the particularity of the route different from you.The mutual McCarthyite injunctions,the venom,the total loss of sense but above all sensibilities is truly sad to witness.There will be no recovery.

Curtain closes.
The real point is that the present day PLP seems no better at winning elections, and no more "competent", than Corbyn.

The stench of mediocre time servers with no identifiable beliefs or moral core has become overpowering.

And far, far, FAR too many SPADs and "researchers" and consultants and lobbyists. Parasites, basically.

Whoever wins the leadership, major change there is required.
You mean people with backgrounds like the last Labour leader?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Curtain closes.
Yes.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Indeed. And he had the self awareness to realise it was a problem and needed to be dealt with.

The people I am referring to fought him every step of the way on that (as they did on everything else)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

We likened Dave to a used car salesman. He will say whatever it takes. I can't see that the ring leaders are any better. I wouldn't buy a car off Dave or them.

It's perhaps a simplistic way to look at people, but don't you think moral integrity is sadly lacking in the people that run our lives?
I might not be able to stop them, but I won't sully my hands supporting them.

My right to vote was won by brave women. It, they, deserves better.
Last edited by ohsocynical on Mon 11 Jul, 2016 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

SpinningHugo wrote:
yahyah wrote:So where is this wonderful candidate Hugo ? The one we should all vote for, who will be competent and the voters will love ?
Oh either Smith or Eagle is better than Corbyn by far. They won't win a general election, the damage to Labour from the last year is far too great by now to be reversed before a General Election, but they would save it as a viable political party.

They won't win of course. They'll lose. Which will mean we will carry on as we now are, with the 172 on the backbenches, and the Campaign Group and Andy Burnham running the shadow cabinet (until the latter goes to Manchester if he is lucky).

So it is now a race. Will Corbyn, McDonnell and Milne be able to transform the Labour Parliamentary party (through deselections etc) or will the members finally tire of Corbyn and elect someone from the mainstream of the PLP. He won't last forever.

All that is over is the opening period where the bulk of the PLP tried to make it work. We won't be going back to that ever.

of course, by the Spring May may pull the trigger and call an election, and Labour would be completely crushed.
If May wants to crush Labour she calls an October/September election, by next year serious brexit chickens will have come home to roost and a GE win against a unified corbyn party is no dead cert then.

As for Labour, one of the reasons that the plotters launched this week is the NEC ballot papers went out today, and given the membership it is likely that the NEC will be solidly to the left soon. A landslide win for Corbyn in the leadership election will see most of the 172 crack and come online - second mandate, must respect the members etc etc etc - about 25-30 will either take the SDP2 route when faced with reselection or will try and wreak havoc from the backbenches in order to fullfill their own prophecies of doom. To be honest know-nothing gobshites like Jamie Reed have egos so brobdignagian in stature I doubt he will be able to bear being in a left wing labour. There are a few others who will follow, I can only hope Kinnock minor will be one.

Ultimately the only way to unify labour is for one or other of the extreme wings to split, it is not going to be the corbyn left that goes, as thats the members, the CLP's the activists etc. So the New Democrats or whatever they call themselves will stand next May and get mullered in the polls.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Indeed. And he had the self awareness to realise it was a problem and needed to be dealt with.

The people I am referring to fought him every step of the way on that (as they did on everything else)
You do love to refight yesterday's battles. The Blairites lost. Numerically, they are a tiny group, It really isn't relevant to today.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

RobertSnozers wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
ohsocynical wrote: Vote for a snivelling coward who's been hiding behind a womans skirts and has let her take the flak even if she is a silly cow? How could you.

I will judge the candidates on their qualities. Good and bad. Not impressed with Smith today. Tweeting his 'when did you stop beating your wife?' question to Corbyn was not a good look
I suppose that is his "justification" for standing. Let's now see where he goes with it.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

John Lister
‏@johnlister

@DavidAllenGreen If Article 50 isn't triggered by May 2017, what happens when the May 2019 Euro elections come?

The answer from DAG was "who knows".
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

RobertSnozers wrote:
HindleA wrote:The end of the Labour Party is nigh,I suppose as others have said after electing a leader whose main conviction is that the PLP is the enemy of the working class
I find that insulting. You lost me right there.

Might I remind you that Corbyn did not declare war on the PLP.
Yes,sorry Hindle,but that is simply untrue.A lie,really.
Corbyn offered them shadow cabinet positions from the beginning.Instead of supporting the new leader they (very publicly)turned their backs on him and have been bitching and plotting to unseat Corbyn ever since.
He has tried to include them all,and ,despite the venom that they have spouted since last September,Corbyn has remained calm and dignified.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Breaking news: David Cameron will not leave Downing Street. I kid you not. He has a cat.
Donald Trump: Making America Hate Again
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

SpinningHugo wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Indeed. And he had the self awareness to realise it was a problem and needed to be dealt with.

You do love to refight yesterday's battles. The Blairites lost. Numerically, they are a tiny group, It really isn't relevant to today.
They are disproportionately influential, though - and still more in the media of course.

And alas its not "yesterday's battles" as much as we might wish - the utterly appalling behaviour behaviour of some towards Ed is a major reason why we have Corbyn now.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

David Schneider ‏@davidschneider 5h5 hours ago

Want to congratulate Theresa May? Simply send an email to, well, anyone really. She’ll see it. #SnoopersCharter
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

"Rumours that the removal vans are arriving a day late at 10 Downing Street due to a mix up with Theresa's calendar are completely unfounded, claims the cat."
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

Temulkar wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:

If May wants to crush Labour she calls an October/September election, by next year serious brexit chickens will have come home to roost and a GE win against a unified corbyn party is no dead cert then.

As for Labour, one of the reasons that the plotters launched this week is the NEC ballot papers went out today, and given the membership it is likely that the NEC will be solidly to the left soon. A landslide win for Corbyn in the leadership election will see most of the 172 crack and come online - second mandate, must respect the members etc etc etc - about 25-30 will either take the SDP2 route when faced with reselection or will try and wreak havoc from the backbenches in order to fullfill their own prophecies of doom. To be honest know-nothing gobshites like Jamie Reed have egos so brobdignagian in stature I doubt he will be able to bear being in a left wing labour. There are a few others who will follow, I can only hope Kinnock minor will be one.

Ultimately the only way to unify labour is for one or other of the extreme wings to split, it is not going to be the corbyn left that goes, as thats the members, the CLP's the activists etc. So the New Democrats or whatever they call themselves will stand next May and get mullered in the polls.

Have you joined the LP yet Tem?
Come on,just for the leadership elections.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:

They are disproportionately influential, though - and still more in the media of course.

And alas its not "yesterday's battles" as much as we might wish - the utterly appalling behaviour behaviour of some towards Ed is a major reason why we have Corbyn now.

They aren't influential in the party at all. The reason the likes of, say, Kendall or Hunt or Umunna get media attention is because they're competent on tv. Lots aren't.

And arguing about how Corbyn came about is yesterday's battle again. You're looking back not forward all the time.

David Miliband really really is not coming back.

Neither Liz Kendall nor anyone like her is going to lead the Labour party.

Worrying about the trivial past while the party dies in front if you is silly.

Added

And being blunt the reason you do that is it is the easy option.

The current problems the Labour party faces are almost nothing to do with say Tristram Hunt, Attacking the (defeated irrelevant) Blairites means you won't get into any difficult confrontation. Everyone here for example (possibly saving me) agrees. But you think Corbyn needs to go as do I.* That* is the live issue,
Last edited by SpinningHugo on Mon 11 Jul, 2016 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

yahyah wrote:The damage to Labour caused by 'moderates' telling the media Labour are unelectable, and Corbyn useless, will take a long time to mend.

If I shoot myself in the foot, who is to blame ? My foot ?
It's far worse than that. The person who just shot you in your foot is standing there telling you it's your fault that they pulled the trigger.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

I would much rather watch Mrs May doing her Thatcher impersonation than Camerons' smug,sneering,born to rule fat face any day.