Tuesday 12th July 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 12th July 2016

Post by PorFavor »

gilsey wrote:
nickyinnorfolk wrote:
Rebecca wrote: Wearily wondering how much the new PMs' kitchen is going to cost us.
And how fast SamCam gets rid of the car (the 1400.00 or whatever it cost ) and sends the kids to public school.
I read a few weeks ago that he'd already put his son's name down for a public school, although his daughter Nancy (of being left in the pub fame) was apparently staying on at her state school. Somebody (of Indian descent) tweeted that Cameron was like an Indian father who'd happily make sure the boy got a top education whereas the girl would have to lump it.
I hate to be fair to Cameron, but possibly Nancy herself has vetoed it because she likes where she is.

I can see that - pub v school. No contest.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

PorFavor wrote:@tinybgoat

That Dippy J Hodges, eh? What a refined and sophisticated wit.

Oh - just heard (BBC News) -

Larry the Cat is to stay at 10 Downing Street.
That's the important stuff sorted.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone.
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

JonnyT1234 wrote:
nickyinnorfolk wrote:I read a few weeks ago that he'd already put his son's name down for a public school, although his daughter Nancy (of being left in the pub fame) was apparently staying on at her state school. Somebody (of Indian descent) tweeted that Cameron was like an Indian father who'd happily make sure the boy got a top education whereas the girl would have to lump it.
Slight problem with that. A state education is a top education compared to anything you'll ever get at a public school.

Edit: I think Cameron's probably going to be far more relieved that he'll never have to use exploit the NHS again. Particularly after having completely fucked it over for the past 6 years.
True.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Dan F. Hodges is an utter berk.

Was the brick flung by a crazed TrotRabbleDog who belongs to Momentum?
Or was it flung by a Bitterite who hates the CLP for being horrid to Angela?

Or was it actually aimed at another of the businesses using that office block?

Who knows? We may never find out.

My theory -
Larry knows that Saint Non-Mother Theresa only tolerates cats because she has 'em skinned to make her little shoes which have kittens for heels. Larry, being a cat, is out at night and could well have hitched a ride to Wallasey and flung the brick. Cats are very very clever, and a cat as clever as Larry would not have survived for so long if he didn't have a bit about him.
It was Larry.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Excellent.

Lord Nash is having a hard time at the Academies seminar run by Laws thinktank EPI where he's trying do the "Look, just become academies because we can't have two different systems" line.

Your problem not ours...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

ITV reporter tweeted a few minutes ago that he understands Jezza's got enough NEC votes to ensure he's on the ballot.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

ephemerid wrote:

My theory -
Larry knows that Saint Non-Mother Theresa only tolerates cats because she has 'em skinned to make her little shoes which have kittens for heels. Larry, being a cat, is out at night and could well have hitched a ride to Wallasey and flung the brick. Cats are very very clever, and a cat as clever as Larry would not have survived for so long if he didn't have a bit about him.
It was Larry.
He's under interrogation right now
Larry.jpg
Larry.jpg (58.61 KiB) Viewed 6145 times
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Oops, an FT chap says it is 17-15 to Corbyn, or 16-16 or anti-Corbyn if secret ballot.
Make your mind up.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Tough tactics on both sides
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

What brick ? Oh this brick ?
Boris.jpg
Boris.jpg (42.92 KiB) Viewed 6117 times
Boris 02.jpg
Boris 02.jpg (38.53 KiB) Viewed 6117 times
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

I've become the most unlikely Corbynista. Not because I find him particularly alluring, but the scale of the hysteria being directed at him defies comprehension.

I had another long exchange with various "moderates" on Twitter this morning. I asked, apart from the nuclear deterrent, what policy differences they could see between Corbyn and Wilson and in the end all they could do was extend that to Corbyn is a pacifist and Wilson wasn't. One chap claimed that Corbyn had defended Serbia in Kosovo. Which isn't true. He said there was no genocide in Kosovo and praised John Pilger for pointing out the actual scale of the, admittedly horrendous, crimes. Just like he did with Iraq.

So in fact this is what it all comes down to. Whether we want to bomb people or not. Are the arms industry guilty of whipping up some of this nonsense do you think?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Is Boris Johnson saying ''Brexit voters, thick as a brick, that's how we won'' ?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

And at last?

George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton 36m36 minutes ago
Andy Burnham is to call for three-four day delay to Labour leadership contest to allow further negotiations, I'm told.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I'm not making this up...

Education Policy
‏@EduPolicyInst

Lord Nash makes appeal to @JohndickensSW and @SchoolsWeek: "please stop your cartoonist drawing me with red hair" #Academies2016

:roll:
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

RogerOThornhill wrote:I'm not making this up...

Education Policy
‏@EduPolicyInst

Lord Nash makes appeal to @JohndickensSW and @SchoolsWeek: "please stop your cartoonist drawing me with red hair" #Academies2016

:roll:
Roger you're quoting Theresa May. Mind you we have never seen you two in the same place at the same time ;-)
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

ScreenShot01474.jpg
ScreenShot01474.jpg (43.91 KiB) Viewed 6084 times

https://t.co/hdIQHnc72S" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Today, Radio 4, 3 December 2015: Finding by the Editorial Complaints Unit

Complaint
Two listeners complained that the programme had inaccurately reported that a peaceful vigil in Walthamstow, in protest against the decision to bomb targets in Syria, had targeted the home of the local MP, Stella Creasy, and had been part of a pattern of intimidation towards Labour MPs who had supported the decision.

Outcome
The claim that the demonstration had targeted Ms Creasy’s home, and the implication that it was intimidatory in nature, originated from a single Facebook posting which later proved to be misleading (the demonstration’s destination was Ms Creasy’s constituency office, which was unoccupied at the time, not her home, and it was peaceful). Nevertheless, it had been taken up by a number of commentators on social media and by reputable news outlets, including The Independent and The Guardian. The first reference to the story in the 3 December edition of Today was in a review of the morning’s papers. Later in the programme, a report by Ross Hawkins included an audio clip from the demonstration, stated that it had taken place outside the constituency office, and carried an interview with one of the organisers who described it as “very peaceful”. Shortly after this, Nick Robinson interviewed John McDonnell about divisions in the Labour Party in relation to the vote on bombing Syria in terms which reflected the belief that the demonstration had taken place outside Ms Creasy’s home and had been an instance of bullying and intimidation (a belief which Mr McDonnell did not contest). The 7 December edition of Today included a correction which made the venue of the demonstration clear but did not address the question of intimidation. The ECU found that the 3 December programme had been duly accurate in its review of the papers, but inaccurate in the references to the matter during the interview with Mr McDonnell, and that the 7 December correction had left a significant element of inaccuracy to stand.
Partly upheld

Further action
The Editor of Today has reminded staff of the need to check with the BBC newsroom for advice where there are conflicting accounts of recent events.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Maybe he sees himself as a strawberry blond.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

He has levels of wit that lesser mortals only reach
after consuming copious amounts of alcohol,
but then have decency to regret later.

edit: changed and to but, not sure why.
Last edited by tinybgoat on Tue 12 Jul, 2016 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

This must be potentially libellous. I post it here for comment, not because I agree!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-07-12 at 13.31.51.png
Screen Shot 2016-07-12 at 13.31.51.png (54.2 KiB) Viewed 6043 times
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

I'm always a critic of conspiracy theories and 'false flag' stories, but one could ask 'who benefits ?' from the window being smashed. Not that there aren't plenty of eejits around who would do it to further their egos and views.

The Guardian seem to have no problem with people posting and blaming 'Corbyn's thugs'.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

ephemerid wrote:

My theory -
It was Larry.
The logic is impeccable, you've convinced me. Arrest warrant now!
The truth ferret speaks!
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Larry is innocent. He's been framed.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

TobyLatimer wrote:What brick ? Oh this brick ?
Boris.jpg
Boris 02.jpg
Well, he does have previous doesn't he... Is it because she has the same hairstyle?
Donald Trump: Making America Hate Again
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

That's the NSN which is an 'independent charity'.

My arse.

Edit - worth remembering that the person who set up the NSN and was its first CEO is now...No 10 edu policy advisor!

Shocked etc.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:This must be potentially libellous. I post it here for comment, not because I agree!

This is so wrong.

In my jokey thing above, I was actually partly serious. We have no idea who threw that brick.

It could have been anyone. It could have been some horrible person who hates LGBT people.
It could have been some pissed-up plonker being stupid after the clubs closed in the early morning.
It could have been an anti-Eagle or anti-CLP idiot who thought this stupidity would send a message.
It could have been a militant leftie who thinks threatening people makes them go away.

I spent a significant proportion of my professional life dealing with victims and perpetrators of violence, from the chaos of bombs and riots to the general assaults and injuries which are the daily grind of any A&E; and like many emergency staff, faced a fair bit of it myself (luckily for me it was only once with a shotgun - most of it was threatening behaviour, thank goodness).
There is never an excuse for threats of the kind that many politicians (and others in the public eye) get as a matter of routine these days; and there is never an excuse for vandalism or other anti-social behaviour either. I don't know how you stop it.

We know already that disability hate crime has increased in recent years; I believe there is a correlation between that rise and the relentless scrounger rhetoric we have heard and seen so much of. It can't all be down to better reporting or more sensitive policing.
We are already seeing signs of increased racial abuse and race/nationality-related hate crime; again, I blame our politicians for some of that, because whilst I doubt we have more racists than we had before, the ones we've already got are a lot less shy about their hatred.

It is irresponsible of our elected representatives to be very obviously engaging in bitter spats with each other whilst exhorting us to behave - and it is ridiculous that otherwise perfectly normal people, some of whom I like and respect under normal circumstances, have become so entrenched of late that they are assuming that X or Y (choose your side) are responsible for something like this.

It is appalling that our media is allowing people to accuse others of this vandalism when, in fact, nobody knows the truth.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor

Post by mbc1955 »

ephemerid wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:This must be potentially libellous. I post it here for comment, not because I agree!

This is so wrong.

In my jokey thing above, I was actually partly serious. We have no idea who threw that brick.

It could have been anyone. It could have been some horrible person who hates LGBT people.
It could have been some pissed-up plonker being stupid after the clubs closed in the early morning.
It could have been an anti-Eagle or anti-CLP idiot who thought this stupidity would send a message.
It could have been a militant leftie who thinks threatening people makes them go away.

I spent a significant proportion of my professional life dealing with victims and perpetrators of violence, from the chaos of bombs and riots to the general assaults and injuries which are the daily grind of any A&E; and like many emergency staff, faced a fair bit of it myself (luckily for me it was only once with a shotgun - most of it was threatening behaviour, thank goodness).
There is never an excuse for threats of the kind that many politicians (and others in the public eye) get as a matter of routine these days; and there is never an excuse for vandalism or other anti-social behaviour either. I don't know how you stop it.

We know already that disability hate crime has increased in recent years; I believe there is a correlation between that rise and the relentless scrounger rhetoric we have heard and seen so much of. It can't all be down to better reporting or more sensitive policing.
We are already seeing signs of increased racial abuse and race/nationality-related hate crime; again, I blame our politicians for some of that, because whilst I doubt we have more racists than we had before, the ones we've already got are a lot less shy about their hatred.

It is irresponsible of our elected representatives to be very obviously engaging in bitter spats with each other whilst exhorting us to behave - and it is ridiculous that otherwise perfectly normal people, some of whom I like and respect under normal circumstances, have become so entrenched of late that they are assuming that X or Y (choose your side) are responsible for something like this.

It is appalling that our media is allowing people to accuse others of this vandalism when, in fact, nobody knows the truth.
Absolutely. It is one of the great shames of our era that we have allowed the situation to arise where the first response to everything is to blame someone for your political advantage.
The truth ferret speaks!
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

yahyah wrote:I'm always a critic of conspiracy theories and 'false flag' stories, but one could ask 'who benefits ?' from the window being smashed. Not that there aren't plenty of eejits around who would do it to further their egos and views.

The Guardian seem to have no problem with people posting and blaming 'Corbyn's thugs'.
Risk reward and occams Razor all argue against the argument being made that it is a Blairite conspiracy.

People associated with Corbyns supporters have form for this sort of thing (see syria vote), plus many of the hardcore are ex Militant or SWP types). One brick of course is an isolated incident, the death threats are not.

Now in the midst of the Syria vote one of Corbyn's staff was passing details of his opponents to the wider movement. These people were subsequently targetted and threatened.

There is no direct evidence of course, but there is a huge amount of fire.

Remember the bricks being lobbed in Ed Milibands election campaign? No me neither.
Release the Guardvarks.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor

Post by mbc1955 »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
yahyah wrote:I'm always a critic of conspiracy theories and 'false flag' stories, but one could ask 'who benefits ?' from the window being smashed. Not that there aren't plenty of eejits around who would do it to further their egos and views.

Risk reward and occams Razor all argue against the argument being made that it is a Blairite conspiracy.

People associated with Corbyns supporters have form for this sort of thing (see syria vote), plus many of the hardcore are ex Militant or SWP types). One brick of course is an isolated incident, the death threats are not.

Now in the midst of the Syria vote one of Corbyn's staff was passing details of his opponents to the wider movement. These people were subsequently targetted and threatened.

Remember the bricks being lobbed in Ed Milibands election campaign? No me neither.
Nobody was suggesting it was 'Blairite thugs' except you, always eager to add your own slander by raising a straw man. You know nothing, but it doesn't stop you slanting things onto your hobby-horse.
The truth ferret speaks!
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Labour Insider ‏@Labour_Insider 4h4 hours ago.

From what we hear NEC will vote for Corbyn to get on ballot by a majority of 3.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:

So you don't know either TE.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

A bit late for my husband. He's throwing in the towel. He's never been a Lib Dem fan but found himself having to agree with Tim Farron on the need to have a second referendum to decide to proceed after we've had terms negotiated. Labour need to get their act together on protecting the interests of those who didn't vote Leave, and fast.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

thatchersorphan
Committee Chair

Post by thatchersorphan »

Bernadette Meaden ‏@BernaMeaden 1h1 hour ago

Labour leadership - how did it come to this? http://www.ekklesia.co.uk/node/23257" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor

Post by mbc1955 »

I think it's time we accepted that we do not have a functional Labour party any more, and started planning for the post-Labour era. Whatever form it 'survives' in is going to be useless to everyone.
The truth ferret speaks!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I've worked a lot of temporary stints in different departments of one large county government department. That country was linked to
other counties within the state government with federal government on top of it all. Some people aren't a good fit in their position.
Wonderful human beings, talented, compassionate and knowledgeable, nonetheless, they needed to find another position because
their co-workers and subordinates were stalled.

Workplace dynamics are intricate and require cool evaluation from outside to figure out what's not working. Incompatible personality
types, ineffective communication systems, team leaders lacking the ability to spot when their intervention is absolutely critical,
subordinates unable to formulate good questions - some workplaces weren't conducive to getting projects done. It's not
necessarily anyone's fault. That's the damnedest thing about it.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Well, anything's possible...

Freddie Whittaker ‏@FCDWhittaker 26m26 minutes ago

Speculation about whether Cameron will enter cabinet...

...and then...

Cameron announces latest wave of free schools...
2 retweets 0 likes
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Iain Martin ‏@iainmartin1 44m44 minutes ago

@MichaelPDeacon Worse. Cameron does not like dogs either. Can't stand them. I know this for a FACT

@jameskirkup
Well, well, well...Cameron doesn't like dogs. That explains a lot.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:

(my bold)

It's not all down to Labour party difficulties though. Outside events combined creating greater strain now. The EU referendum vote and outcome, the Tory party's lying, bowing out of obligations and letting society make do when leadership is critical. Six years of Osborne's disaster budgets removing millions out of circulation. The NHS is in crisis, workers striking, people aren't getting what they need. The UK has changed a lot since Miliband's Labour party, though it's only a short time ago. A Labour MP assassinated, death threats, leadership battles, one rule for Tories and the regular people get different rules to abide by. Media owned by a few, reporting for a few. It's not fair. It's not right for media to pretend everything is fair and equal. It's not. That's not a whine, it's an acknowledgement of reality.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

Bricks through windows are common enough in the chav street where I live.
Suppose it's all Corbyns' fault.
One family haven't even bothered to either pick up the broken glass or patch up the hole.It happened in December.
This street is sort of half and half.The nice half,that's me included,just roll our eyes.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

A lot of people out there are angry. That does tend, though it is awful to say it, to lead to an increase in violent acts.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

yahyah wrote:Larry is innocent. He's been framed.
Does Larry know that Cruella DeVil is moving in tomorrow?
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:A lot of people out there are angry. That does tend, though it is awful to say it, to lead to an increase in violent acts.

Last year,(may 2015 to june 2016) there were 3461 reported episodes of antisocial behaviour in Wallasy and 1030 criminal damage and arson.

I can't get too fussed about a broken window since I moved back to England tbh.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I remember on here some members did a lot of soul searching because of Labours apparent lack of opposition on DWP changes. That on the whole they [PLP] agreed with much of the coalition's changes and were far too wishy-washy about righting some of the wrongs that were beginning to do harm.
Then Ed changed minds. Still not far enough to the left for some of us, but obvious his heart was in the right place. He would make changes, but slowly rather than upset his colleagues. That was when quite a few of us on FTN joined the Labour Party and we know what the press, media and PLP did to him.

PLP must have thought they'd won, and then a bloody committed lefty burst on the scene.

We should remember that within days of Corbyn's name being put forward as a candidate, he took off. People were desperate for a truly left of centre representative. He wasn't even elected and membership started to shoot up.
So a lot of people have jumped on the bandwagon, but they wouldn't have, if only the PLP had shut their mouths, forgotten their differences for a while and showed they could be an effective opposition.

The country needs a deep fix, and the PLPs version of Labour just isn't going to cut it. It'll be slightly watered down more of the same, and that's simply not good enough anymore.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

ScreenShot01476.jpg
ScreenShot01476.jpg (42.19 KiB) Viewed 5751 times
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

It's inappropriate mainstream media creates demagogues out of our political representatives. It's not what political representation is about - it's not a celebrity affair. Sound bites, images, tweets distort reality and get in the way. Political representation is public service, like teachers, healthcare, environmental, public transportation and law enforcement personnel.

I watched the Andrew Marr interview with Corbyn on Sunday. I don't watch much media. Corbyn doesn't like mass media and I like him for that. Corbyn refused to take Marr's word when Marr quoted Owen Smith. "That doesn't sound like Owen! I just talked with him the other day. Not a word about that." And it wasn't a pretence, Corbyn wasn't siding with Labour MPs as a strategy. Corbyn belongs to the Labour party and he and his colleagues are Labour party MPs working for all the people and country. That's Corbyn. Corbyn better know what he's doing big picture, that's all I got to say. Labour is limited in opposition.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Evolve Politics ‏@evolvepolitics 3h3 hours ago

Angela Eagle already considering ‘pulling out’ of leadership race if Corbyn is on the ballot

http://evolvepolitics.com/angela-eagle- ... yn-ballot/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is just ridiculous. What are the PLP doing for goodness sake.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

joncraigSKY ‏@joncraig 1h1 hour ago

Ruth Davidson reveals David Cameron told her today "he's got his office booked in Portcullis House & he will still be on the back benches".