Tuesday 12th July 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 12th July 2016

Post by ohsocynical »

refitman wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:Well, critics can't have it both ways. Was it a longterm dastardly conspiracy, or an ill co-ordinated spontaneous uprising?

How could they have had him gone? What else are you suggesting they did/do?

FWIIW I too think it was largely spontaneous as a result of the EU referendum. Most Labour MPs rblamed Corbyn for his part in the result. Justifiably in my view. And wanted a pro-EU leader.
The evidence is that they have been planning this since he was elected, only to find he kept being successful (Oldham for example). They didn't exactly hide their intention to try to get rid of him, when they tried to set up a "let's get Corbyn" group BEFORE HE WAS EVEN ELECTED!

It has been an almighty clusterfuck that has, to my mind, proved that the likes of Benn and the other should never, ever, be in charge of the Labour party.

When did they get behind him? When did they publicly support him? Fucking Benn, getting an ovation from the Tories for his Syria speech. Dick of the highest order.
From what I've read, they were plotting against Ed weeks before the election, and he resigned immediately after so it looks as if they never really stopped, and from that, we have to conclude they won't stop now.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scien ... 33316.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Racist, xenophobic and anti-intellectual:
Queue massive braindrain.

Up to now, with 0.8 percent of the world population Britain contributed 5.5 % of its research output (despite how much the sector has been shat on since Thatcher and Joseph took it on).

Don't think that's going to last.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

ohsocynical wrote:
refitman wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:Well, critics can't have it both ways. Was it a longterm dastardly conspiracy, or an ill co-ordinated spontaneous uprising?

FWIIW I too think it was largely spontaneous as a result of the EU referendum. Most Labour MPs rblamed Corbyn for his part in the result. Justifiably in my view. And wanted a pro-EU leader.
The evidence is that they have been planning this since he was elected, only to find he kept being successful (Oldham for example). They didn't exactly hide their intention to try to get rid of him, when they tried to set up a "let's get Corbyn" group BEFORE HE WAS EVEN ELECTED!

It has been an almighty clusterfuck that has, to my mind, proved that the likes of Benn and the other should never, ever, be in charge of the Labour party.

When did they get behind him? When did they publicly support him? Fucking Benn, getting an ovation from the Tories for his Syria speech. Dick of the highest order.
From what I've read, they were plotting against Ed weeks before the election, and he resigned immediately after so it looks as if they never really stopped, and from that, we have to conclude they won't stop now.
Read where?
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

SpinningHugo wrote:
Temulkar wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
See this board. See every Labour board i frequent. Go to your local CLP (I don't attend mine anymore).

Corbyn is going to win easily.

Not least because this year we only have stalking horse candidates. The PLP is playing a long game.

I know most here now hate her, but I agree with Toynbee in the last paragraph of this

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... membership" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Takes guts.
PLP are not playinig any game whatsoever, they have bungled this right from the start and were flying from the seat of their pants from the monday after brexit, and hhave been running around like headless chickkens ever since. They don't know what they are doing they have no plan, they have tried every trick in the book to avoid the contest, but not in any coherent way, if they had managed just an iota of intelligence corbyn could have been gone by now, instead they misjudged a man who has been a street fighter in politics all his lifem and went down to the street to take him on. No subtlety, no clever idea, no challenger.

Well, critics can't have it both ways. Was it a longterm dastardly conspiracy, or an ill co-ordinated spontaneous uprising?

That's not what I am saying at all, it was clearly co-ordinated and clearly planned - they were so lacking in intellect that they managed to leak the plan on no less than four different occassions over the last ten months.

That meant JC knew what was coming and even when it was likely to come, and just how to resist it. They played to a timetable that had chilcot and the NEC elections in red lines and never once did it enter their minds that corbyn wouldnt do what they wanted. That is gross negligence on the part of the plotters, they had no alternative they played for a leadership election without JC nad have lost. Had they gone for a straight fight, they may very well have beaten him.

The problem they have is that they ignored the number one rule - know your enemy - and it's not as if enough people didnt warn them about his nature. A truly terrifying level of political incompetence, and they claim Corbyn is ineffectual, he has jst taken on the PLP and beaten them, and he will do it for a third time by september.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

SpinningHugo wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
refitman wrote: The evidence is that they have been planning this since he was elected, only to find he kept being successful (Oldham for example). They didn't exactly hide their intention to try to get rid of him, when they tried to set up a "let's get Corbyn" group BEFORE HE WAS EVEN ELECTED!

Read where?
Link posted earlier. Guardian.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

SpinningHugo wrote: if interested in legality
Out of interest are you actually a qualified lawyer?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Bring it on. There is momentum here (lower case); we need to keep our collective eye on the ball and go for PR. There is enough energy - can't let the Tories settle down and put us all back to sleep.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

People like us leaving Labour is exactly what the Blairites (inc. Hugo?) want. Please stay.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

SpinningHugo wrote:
refitman wrote:

Who is the 'they'? Watson? Eagle? Smith?

What is the evidence for this longterm conspiracy by the 172 members of the PLP?

As for Benn, that really depends on your view of intervening in Syria, which is another big and difficult question. I didn't approve of the Iraq War (because it was unlawful) but did approve of intervening in Syria (where it was lawful).

if interested in legality

https://spinninghugo.wordpress.com/2015 ... -in-syria/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chuka Umunna and Tristram Hunt to name two:
Shadow Cabinet MPs form ‘the Resistance’ group in anticipation of Corbyn win

A moderate Labour pressure group dubbed “the Resistance” is being formed by two top shadow cabinet members as Jeremy Corbyn pulls ahead in the leadership race, the Evening Standard can reveal.

Chuka Umunna and Tristram Hunt have written privately to Labour MPs calling on them to meet four days before the leadership result is announced. It is being seen by MPs as a rival to Mr Corbyn’s Left-wing platform and the start of guerrilla warfare for Labour’s soul.
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics ... 33476.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
I'm not.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

To be fair the £25 supporters fee is quuite the money spinning wheeze if as many people sign up as expected, of course the make up of the members in Feb was overwhelmingly corbynite so it does the PLP no favours. I would bet the corbynites shell out 25 for a vote if they have it.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

ohsocynical wrote:Link posted earlier. Guardian.
Hugo seems disinterested in reading things that conflict with his beliefs. My quote/link above was posted in response to a conversation the other day.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
Read my blog and form a view.

[Completely off topic, and you may hate this coming from me, but many congratulations on submitting.]
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

ohsocynical wrote:
Read where?
Link posted earlier. Guardian.[/quote]

i must have missed it. Anyone help me out?
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

RogerOThornhill wrote:

Out of interest, Roger, do you actually expect an answer?

:)
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Temulkar wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
Temulkar wrote: PLP are not playinig any game whatsoever, they have bungled this right from the start and were flying from the seat of their pants from the monday after brexit, and hhave been running around like headless chickkens ever since. They don't know what they are doing they have no plan, they have tried every trick in the book to avoid the contest, but not in any coherent way, if they had managed just an iota of intelligence corbyn could have been gone by now, instead they misjudged a man who has been a street fighter in politics all his lifem and went down to the street to take him on. No subtlety, no clever idea, no challenger.

Well, critics can't have it both ways. Was it a longterm dastardly conspiracy, or an ill co-ordinated spontaneous uprising?

That's not what I am saying at all, it was clearly co-ordinated and clearly planned - they were so lacking in intellect that they managed to leak the plan on no less than four different occassions over the last ten months.

That meant JC knew what was coming and even when it was likely to come, and just how to resist it. They played to a timetable that had chilcot and the NEC elections in red lines and never once did it enter their minds that corbyn wouldnt do what they wanted. That is gross negligence on the part of the plotters, they had no alternative they played for a leadership election without JC nad have lost. Had they gone for a straight fight, they may very well have beaten him.

The problem they have is that they ignored the number one rule - know your enemy - and it's not as if enough people didnt warn them about his nature. A truly terrifying level of political incompetence, and they claim Corbyn is ineffectual, he has jst taken on the PLP and beaten them, and he will do it for a third time by september.
There have been little hints in the media, such as a few weeks ago when a Shadow cabinet source said Margaret Hodges was going to sign a vote of no confidence. Nothing more was said about it, but I noticed she didn't deny it. I questioned what was happening on our local Lab Party page, and was poo-pooed probably as a dotty old lady.
I suppose once upon a time our press would have kept digging away at it. Weird to think that there was a time when you could pick up a paper and be pretty sure if there was anything untoward happening they'd be reporting it.

I tell you what our papers remind me of now. An old fashioned gossip column, where hints and tit-bits of gossip were tossed around, but the reader was expected to fill in the gaps.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 33271.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Scottish Tory leader admits Brexit vote will 'test binds of the Union' – and refuses to rule out second EU vote
Perfect storm on the horizon. Maybe we should look to take advantage of this and use the politics-wide instability to get something positive out of it. PR.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

SpinningHugo wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:

[Completely off topic, and you may hate this coming from me, but many congratulations on submitting.]
Hugo,get a grip man and stop pimping your blog.You're really starting to sound needy.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Temulkar wrote:- they were so lacking in intellect that they managed to leak the plan on no less than four different occassions over the last ten months.

1. Did they? When? Where?

2. What did he need to do to 'resist' it? Other than refuse to resign?

3. Again, what do you think they could have done/could do, to get rid of him? Nobody I have seen has suggested anything. If he won't resign, they're stuffed.

4. Everyone knows what the Campaign Group are like. They have been around for decades. Their behaviour has been no surprise to me, and so I am completely sure no surprise to the PLP.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Robert Peston ‏@Peston 47m47 minutes ago

What is particularly impressive about the vast majority of MPs who want @jeremycorbyn out is they couldn't even read mood of their own NEC
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Temulkar wrote:The problem they have is that they ignored the number one rule - know your enemy - and it's not as if enough people didnt warn them about his nature. A truly terrifying level of political incompetence, and they claim Corbyn is ineffectual, he has jst taken on the PLP and beaten them, and he will do it for a third time by september.
I do keep saying this. If Corbyn is as inept and useless as certain elements of the PLP profess, why is it he keeps on winning against them? What does this say about their own competence beyond their being even more inept and useless than is Corbyn? The evidence certainly doesn't suggest that they're better than him, does it.

I'll also add, has it ever once occurred to them that it may just be their complete uselessness that is holding the Labour Party back at elections, not Corbyn?

The past few weeks have made me seriously doubt whether or not I actually want any of these muppets anywhere near the reigns of power because, actually, what they did with them could well be disastrous.
Donald Trump: Making America Hate Again
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

I'd like to teach the world to sing
In perfect harmony

But even to an incorrigible optimist it seems unlikely I can pull it off.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Rebecca wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote: Out of interest are you actually a qualified lawyer?

Hugo,get a grip man and stop pimping your blog.You're really starting to sound needy.

Well, it is that or explain my claims in longhand.

but, as you say, nobody reads it anyway....
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

SpinningHugo wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote: Read where?
Ephie's post: viewtopic.php?p=118953#p118953" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by refitman on Tue 12 Jul, 2016 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix quotes
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Temulkar wrote:To be fair the £25 supporters fee is quuite the money spinning wheeze if as many people sign up as expected, of course the make up of the members in Feb was overwhelmingly corbynite so it does the PLP no favours. I would bet the corbynites shell out 25 for a vote if they have it.
I'll also add that it doesn't exactly reek of confidence that the anti-Corbyn element in the Party are going to be very successful in attracting people to [sic] #SaveLabour.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

refitman wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
Read where?
Ephie's post: viewtopic.php?p=118953#p118953" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/quote]

Ah, I don't read those.

Rather odd to rely on an article from 2014 that proved factually wrong.

"It has reached critical mass now.” Another said: “There isn’t a letter [demanding Miliband’s resignation] but there could be one very quickly.”"
-Just didn't, did it.

I wish they had got rid of him. I think Labour would be in power if they had, we would not have voted for Brexit, austerity would have ended, and the Labour party would still be a viable political party.

Still, never mind, eh?
Last edited by SpinningHugo on Tue 12 Jul, 2016 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

SpinningHugo wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:

No, I'd prefer a straight answer - are you a qualified lawyer yes or no?

Not a difficult question to answer...unless you're not of course and don't care to admit it.

And thanks for the other bit.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote: Out of interest are you actually a qualified lawyer?

Not a difficult question to answer...unless you're not of course and don't care to admit it.

We have been through this before. I post anonymously and won't be doing 20 questions on my identity. Work it out for yourself.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

NEC members were locked in a debate lasting nearly six hours - amid threats of court action - after warring factions disputed the rules.

Their decision leaves the entire say on who will lead Labour to around 400,000 party members.

But another 100,000 who joined since the EU referendum - many of them thought to be Corbyn backers - are not currently eligible to vote.

The NEC agreed members must have been in the party for six months dating from today to take part.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

SpinningHugo wrote:We have been through this before. I post anonymously and won't be doing 20 questions on my identity. Work it out for yourself.
You're Grant Shapps aren't you:

1. Penchant for multiple identities
2. Pretends to have expertise he doesn't have
3. Tries to increase the SEO of his own website via dubious means
4. Gives guided tours of the House of Commons.

(I may be stretching this a bit...)
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

SpinningHugo wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote: Read my blog and form a view.

We have been through this before. I post anonymously and won't be doing 20 questions on my identity. Work it out for yourself.
I think it's a fair question. You keep posting stuff on the legalities of things, but we have no idea if you are speaking from a position of authority, or just blowing smoke up our arses.
Last edited by refitman on Tue 12 Jul, 2016 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: lost a 'j' along the way
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

SpinningHugo wrote:

How on earth could anyone identify you simply from you saying whether you're a qualified lawyer or not?

:roll:

I kinda assume from that that you're not.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

ohsocynical wrote:NEC members were locked in a debate lasting nearly six hours - amid threats of court action - after warring factions disputed the rules.

Their decision leaves the entire say on who will lead Labour to around 400,000 party members.

But another 100,000 who joined since the EU referendum - many of them thought to be Corbyn backers - are not currently eligible to vote.

The NEC agreed members must have been in the party for six months dating from today to take part.
Can that be right though?
Some MPs have been touting for membership in the national press in the past few days with the promise that they can get rid of Corbyn.
What are they going to say now,oh,thanks for the money but you can piss off now seeing as you can't vote?
Piss up in brewery.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ohsocynical wrote:NEC members were locked in a debate lasting nearly six hours - amid threats of court action - after warring factions disputed the rules.

So Jess Philips and Angela Eagle asking people to join up and vote for Angela, are going to be disappointed. :roll:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Rebecca wrote:

Can that be right though?
Some MPs have been touting for membership in the national press in the past few days with the promise that they can get rid of Corbyn.
What are they going to say now,oh,thanks for the money but you can piss off now seeing as you can't vote?
Piss up in brewery.
@Rebecca. Snap. Great minds think alike....
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

ohsocynical wrote:

So Jess Philips and Angela Eagle asking people to join up and vote for Angela, are going to be disappointed. :roll:
It isn't good though,is it.
Labour Party scared of the membership.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

ohsocynical wrote:So Jess Philips and Angela Eagle asking people to join up and vote for Angela, are going to be disappointed. :roll:
#SaveLabour

Oh... damn.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

refitman wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote: No, I'd prefer a straight answer - are you a qualified lawyer yes or no?

I think it's a fair question. You keep posting stuff on the legalities of things, but we have no idea if you are speaking from a position of authority, or ust blowing smoke up our arses.
Well, don't read it then. One of the things I like about the blog is that it only has so much force as the arguments possess. You shouldn't defer to authority. Make your own mind up.

take this

https://spinninghugo.wordpress.com/2016 ... on-brexit/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

here I say a senior QC (and three senior academic public lawyers) are all wrong and try to explain why in simple terms. I am pretty sure I am right, but would the arguments be better if you knew my name was Hugo Spin QC, or Spin LJ? I try to be as accessible and short as possible, but if you don't find it helpful, look elsewhere.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Hoist on their own petard...
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

So, unless these rules have been misrepresented, people who are not Labour Members but manage to register as a supporter between 18-20 July, are going to get a vote in this leadership election whereas fully paid up Members who happen not to have been so for 6 months backdated from today, will not.

Is there a head in hands emoticon?

Edit: plus, arguably, Jess Philips et al have been illegally inducing people to part with money for membership on the false premise that it would let them vote to #SaveLabour. IANAL, but...

[egads, me Inglish has gone to pot tonite]
Last edited by JonnyT1234 on Tue 12 Jul, 2016 9:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

ohsocynical wrote:

Anything that causes the overly noisy Ms.Phillips to be disappointed will not cause me to worry.

It's a problem, though - there will be a lot of very angry people out there if they want to vote (for either side).
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

RobertSnozers wrote:Can we just imagine for a moment what would have happened if the PLP had done something similar in 2014? And installed, say, Alan Johnson.

Does anyone seriously think that would have led to a Labour government? After what we've seen over the last couple of weeks?

Delusional.

I do, yes.

i am sure Labour would not have won a majority, Scotland would have been lost anyway, but it would have been enough to have a minority Labour government.

Unprovable, of course, but leadership and the economy were Labour's biggest negatives in polling.
thatchersorphan
Committee Chair

Post by thatchersorphan »

http://bambuser.com/v/6363996" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Ken Loach now speaking in london about Corbyn
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Jesus wept. I come here for intelligent something and occasional light relief. In these troubled times can all parties, give it a rest.

(Ta)
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

PS: Labour is over. Long live Labour.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

SpinningHugo wrote:Unprovable, of course, but leadership and the economy were Labour's biggest negatives in polling.
Alan 'I'm too thick me to be shadow chancellor' Johnson would, of course, have done so much better on the economy. Not an easy target to smash into pulp by a merciless right wing media on that one at all...
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

RobertSnozers wrote:
Tizme1 wrote:I'd like to invite all disillusioned Labour party members to join the Greens. Before I do though, can I just check - Hugo, you don't live in Watford do you?
I'm keeping all options open, Tiz :-)
You'd be welcome.
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Less of the italics.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

JonnyT1234 wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:Unprovable, of course, but leadership and the economy were Labour's biggest negatives in polling.
Alan 'I'm too thick me to be shadow chancellor' Johnson would, of course, have done so much better on the economy. Not an easy target to smash into pulp by a merciless right wing media on that one at all...

He was daft to accept the shadow Chancellor brief. He should never have been asked.

This is also backwards looking, unprovable and implausible. He didn't want to be leader, then or ever.
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

ephemerid wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:

Out of interest, Roger, do you actually expect an answer?

:)
Out of interest everyone, don't we all have a pretty good idea of the answer to both questions.
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.