Monday 18th July 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Re: Monday 18th July 2016

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Dugdale is an expert on badly losing elections, I warrant. Though, given what she's saying in that article, it may be construed as a tad hypocritical that she didn't resign when the vast majority of the Scottish electorate rejected her and her Party north of the border by a thumping amount. They are meant to be the most important people when it comes to electability are they not, and not the PLP or the members, as we are repeatedly told by certain quarters.

PS. I don't think she should have resigned, just as I don't think Corbyn should until or unless he loses the leadership election. But, then again, I'm not saying one thing and then doing the other.
Donald Trump: Making America Hate Again
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

SpinningHugo wrote:Competence

m.facebook.com/thangam.debbonaire/posts/10157204442320083
Competence
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

ohsocynical wrote:Party caught up in new round of infighting with war of words between camps of Angela Eagle and Owen Smith

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... nti-corbyn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Is there a possibility that this row is pre-planned?
It would seem to make sense to have 3 candidates, rather than 2, as it could put corbyn in weaker position.
ie; corbyn:eagle:smith ratio of 40% 30% 30% first pref. vote
as opposed to 60% 40% of corbyn:unity candidate.

Would also allow more differentiation of policies/appeal
which would be likely to dilute corbyns support,
and also adds opportunity to try and cast Eagle or Smith in underdog position.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Robert Hutton
BREAKING: Boris Johnson, Liam Fox and David Davis to *share* use of Chevening country house, in govt subsidy to sitcom industry.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

JonnyT1234 wrote:Not much to say other than Bell's depiction of May in today's If... is priceless.
His depiction of Angela Eagle last week was pretty good as well:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ng-forward" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

HindleA wrote:Robert Hutton
BREAKING: Boris Johnson, Liam Fox and David Davis to *share* use of Chevening country house, in govt subsidy to sitcom industry.

Let's hope they all pay their bar bills. Clegg tried to wriggle out of the thousands he totted up at Chevening when entertaining in a non official capacity..
Boris Johnson has form on that sort of behaviour too, and is generally regarded as a cad, so hope someone keeps an eye on it to make sure the taxpayer doesn't pick up the bill.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

I don't get Bell. Never have.
Rowson seems far cleverer, Bell just adds to the bad feeling.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

ATL at the PLB:

"Boris Johnson, the foreign secretary, David Davis, the Brexit secretary, and Liam Fox, the international trade secretary, will get joint use of Chevening, the grace and favour home traditionally used by the foreign secretary.

The three leading Brexit ministers are not great chums and quite how the Brexit house-share will work in practice remains to be seen although, given that Chevening has 115 rooms, it should be possible for them all to turn up at once without having them having to worry about one of them hogging the bathroom."

Sounds like they need a go between. I wonder if anyone has a very good friend who could act in such a way?

Edit: I now have an image in my mind with echoes of Alan Bates and Oliver Reed rolling around on rugs... Curse you memory.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

As you were

Mordaunt Disabled people,work and health

Hinds-Employment.
Last edited by HindleA on Mon 18 Jul, 2016 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Nokes for welfare delivery

Harrington -pensions
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

People living in overpriced black mould squalor turning over their earnings to landlords and then there's grace and favour residences
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Sad as I am have been "with" Bell since the Time Out Maggies Farm days
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Waiting for responsibilities of Mordaunt before I pronounce the end of even pretence.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Biffo The Bear for meetings-though his predecessor was an ostrich,which may have been more appropriate.

Note to self,get off the internet you are spending far too much time on it.
Last edited by HindleA on Mon 18 Jul, 2016 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

yahyah wrote:I don't get Bell. Never have.
Yes - I've always said that I'm not keen on him (Steve Bell). He seems to me a bit of an Ian Hislop, if you know what I mean. Now Martin Rowson - brilliant. Art work is wonderful and he certainly makes me think.

PS
And, more irrelevantly, Steve Bell neglected to respond (either yes-ly or no-ly) to the (several) requests for permission to reproduce his work here. Martin Rowson did reply. I hold courtesy to be quite important.

Edited - bit of a mess, really.
Last edited by PorFavor on Mon 18 Jul, 2016 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:Waiting for responsibilities of Mordaunt before I pronounce the end of even pretence.
Six full years of Tory backbenching now head of the DWP
Tories laugh
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

PorFavor wrote:
Yes - I've always said that I'm not keen on him (Steve Bell). He seems to me a bit of an Ian Hislop, if you know what I mean. Now Martin Rowson - brilliant. Art work is wonderful and he certainly makes me think.

PS
And, more irrelevantly, Steve Bell neglected to respond (either yes-ly or no-ly) to the (several) requests for permission to reproduce his work here. Steve Bell did reply. I hold manners to be quite important.
Good point - Rowson responded to an email I sent him almost immediately. I sent Steve Bell at least half a dozen emails.
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

danesclose wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

PS
And, more irrelevantly, Steve Bell neglected to respond (either yes-ly or no-ly) to the (several) requests for permission to reproduce his work here. Steve Bell did reply. I hold manners to be quite important.
Good point - Rowson responded to an email I sent him almost immediately. I sent Steve Bell at least half a dozen emails.
I just knew that I wouldn't be quick enough with my edit . . . . .
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Mordant - (n) a corrosive liquid.

Not a good portent.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:Waiting for responsibilities of Mordaunt before I pronounce the end of even pretence.

I am blessed. She's my MP.

(Buddleia now in bloom but no butterflies yet.)
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is not the Daily Mash/Onion or anything similar. It is today's actual S*n.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

JonnyT1234 wrote:
ATL at the PLB:

"Boris Johnson, the foreign secretary, David Davis, the Brexit secretary, and Liam Fox, the international trade secretary, will get joint use of Chevening, the grace and favour home traditionally used by the foreign secretary.

The three leading Brexit ministers are not great chums and quite how the Brexit house-share will work in practice remains to be seen although, given that Chevening has 115 rooms, it should be possible for them all to turn up at once without having them having to worry about one of them hogging the bathroom."

Sounds like they need a go between. I wonder if anyone has a very good friend who could act in such a way?

Edit: I now have an image in my mind with echoes of Alan Bates and Oliver Reed rolling around on rugs... Curse you memory.
Women in Love?
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

PorFavor wrote:Women in Love?
Unfortunately, yes. Got there via The Go Between. Really wishing I hadn't.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Another "Time-share" situation with hilarious consequences? A PG Wodehouse "Blandings Castle" story?
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

For the little it is worth, I like Bell and Rowson. I find Bell more imaginative than Rowson, Rowson more intellectual than Bell.

Bell's If... is very spotty, but his main cartoon has more often than not been excellent across the 30+ years I've been reading the Graun. Quite an achievement I'd say.

Edit: it also helps that Bell reminds me of my dad, both in terms of looks and wry humour.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Noticed distinct lack of bees,butterflies,hedgehogs armadillo,triceratops,fork lift trucks,women called Beryl,men called Cillit Bang the third,pigeons and spitfires in the garden this year.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/polit ... r-11627390" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

HindleA wrote:Noticed distinct lack of bees,butterflies,hedgehogs armadillo,triceratops,fork lift trucks,women called Beryl,men called Cillit Bang the third,pigeons and spitfires in the garden this year.
Still plenty of immigrants though, what with Brexit failing to have the desired effect.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Well, the rain has gone at last. Still can't garden though, it is nearly 30 centigrade in the shade.
Too hot.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

yahyah wrote:Well, the rain has gone at last. Still can't garden though, it is nearly 30 centigrade in the shade.
Too hot.
'Tisn't!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:Noticed distinct lack of bees,butterflies,hedgehogs armadillo,triceratops,fork lift trucks,women called Beryl,men called Cillit Bang the third,pigeons and spitfires in the garden this year.
I'm still chortling at that! Thank you.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

JonnyT1234 wrote:
Still plenty of immigrants though, what with Brexit failing to have the desired effect.
Coming over here and stealing away our Anthophila, Lepidoptera, Eulipotyphla, Cingulata, Ceratopsids and stereotypical symbols of the hard working classes of this fair isle. The rotters.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Amid the gloom, Brexit provides an opportunity for Labour
Ed Miliband

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... d-miliband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

For some reason, your post reminds me of the woman who told me that she was having a wall inside her house removed and, as a result, she was having a JCB put in . . . .

Still, it would have provided a talking point during domestic social occasions, I suppose.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Better half was braver than me,I rarely reveal as much as my legs unless everybody else does and then pretend they are not mine,she went a bit further....
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

yahyah wrote:Well, the rain has gone at last. Still can't garden though, it is nearly 30 centigrade in the shade.
Too hot.
No rain here but very hot.
Took the dogs out at 5.45,which was very lovely,after a disturbed night.For reasons best known to herself,my GSD decided she wanted to sleep in my bed at 3.00.She was not successful
Saw a couple of deer and loads of rabbits.(on the walk,not on my bed)
I have made tonights' dinner,done all the usual hoovering etc,washing x 2,watered all the trees.
Might have a snooze now.

edited to add that all household activities have been performed to the cheery background of 'christmas at the fun song factory',at full volume.
Last edited by Rebecca on Mon 18 Jul, 2016 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

HindleA wrote:Better half was braver than me,I rarely reveal as much as my legs unless everybody else does and then pretend they are not mine,she went a bit further....
Hopefully not as far as Mrs Danzcuk?
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

citizenJA wrote:
Ed Miliband

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... d-miliband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What,an opportunity to tear itself apart?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Unless a hot air balloon happened to come directly above we were discrete.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

JonnyT1234 wrote:
HindleA wrote:Better half was braver than me,I rarely reveal as much as my legs unless everybody else does and then pretend they are not mine,she went a bit further....
Hopefully not as far as Mrs Danzcuk?
Which one?
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

citizenJA wrote:
Ed Miliband

Good article. I do like Ed Miliband.

Having said that, devolution always makes me think (unfavourably) of US States and their laws - some ofwhich laws being rather alarming- v the federal set-up. I know that's not what's envisaged but it's a bit of a gut-reaction whenever I see the word "devolution".

Edited to add -

But then I think of Vermont . . . .
Last edited by PorFavor on Mon 18 Jul, 2016 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

Rebecca wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
Ed Miliband

Love does that as well.
The truth ferret speaks!
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

Went down to the school this morning for one of those events that makes you forget all about politics for a couple of hours - year 6 graduation. Such a great atmosphere celebrating the achievements of our pupils before they leave to go onto secondary school. Speeches, songs, instrument performance, dance, presentation of certificates...and then all out in the playground for a picture of them throwing their (homemade) mortar boards in the air.

Lovely.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Consultation including on Attendance Allowance transfer to local authorities

Local government – open consultation
Self-sufficient local government: 100% business rates retention

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... -retention" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/st ... ob-i-loved" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

mbc1955 wrote:
Rebecca wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
Love does that as well.
Joy Division
I always liked that song
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

In the off chance thay you want a (side loader) fork lift truck for your garden, our neighbour has one in his yard we'd all be glad to see the back of. Also a small cruiser boat thing, which could be of use in the next 24 hours (though you'd have to be desperate).
Can't help with the rest, though am reliably informed we have hedgehog poo on front path.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Made a response to the particularity.FWIW.
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

JonnyT1234 wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:Competence

m.facebook.com/thangam.debbonaire/posts/10157204442320083
Competence
Thangham Debonnaire's FB post is worth a read.

People have asked me what my problems are with Corbyn's leadership.
Here is my experience.
Mr Corbyn appointed me and press released this without my knowledge or consent whilst I was in the middle of cancer treatment. He then sacked me the next day when he realized he had given away part of someone else's role. But didn't bother to tell me that either. By then my office had been besieged by press and the story was out that I was Shadow Minister. I decided to make the best of it and to serve. I worked on his Arts policy whilst I was still having treatment but in Bristol..
When I went back to Westminster, I discovered that he had sacked me but hadn't told me and did not have any ideas for how I was supposed to explain it to Bristol West members or constituents. I was then faced with the choice of telling the truth - that he had made a series of errors, and inevitably thereby face a pile of criticism from his supporters - or say I had changed my mind about accepting the role - and thereby face a pile of criticism from.his supporters. And I knew the pile would arrive because I had seen how it went for others who had resigned. And because Corbyn supporters had already piled into me for disloyalty when I had had to miss votes for cancer treatment.
I then, contrary to the story he keeps giving on TV, found it near on impossible to get to talk to him about this problem
Eventually I did get to meet him and he had nothing to say. No idea what to do. It took my boss Maria Eagle to explain to him that as he was leader he could re appoint me if that was what he wanted.
I then worked hard for him on his Arts policy, loyally didn't go to the press about the above, got stuck in and worked. And yes, I enjoyed the role, it is one of my dream jobs in parliament and I believe I did Corbyn and the Labour Party a great service, as millions of people work in the arts and culture sectors and they valued being involved in policy-making. So it was never my intention to resign.

However, I kept hearing from other colleagues on the front bench just how difficult or impossible it was to get a decision out of him on important policy issues - the very thing Corbyn is supposed to be good on. I also noticed that the policy making process through the National Policy Forum was being slowed down by lack of decisions from Corbyn's office.
But then he was missing in action during the EU referendum, including going on a week's holiday three weeks before the day. I found that unforgivable. I had re-started campaigning in this campaign, phone-canvassing to conserve my energy, and kept hearing Labour voters saying 'but your leader wants out, doesn't he?' His team didn't send anyone to the EU Campaign meetings in Westminster and his lack of enthusiasm showed.
On the day after the referendum he asked for an early Brexit. My constituents want exactly the opposite and were telling me so in their hundreds, and voted 85% to remain.
That was the tipping point for me - it is not allowed to remain on the front bench whilst taking an opposing view to the leader in something so important.
I therefore had to resign.
The reason I then voted no confidence in him as leader is because I have no confidence in him as leader. See above. Plus I had found out from other front bench women how unwilling and unable Corbyn is to communicate with, listen to or work with anyone outside his narrow group.
Since then he has stated publicly that he isn't prioritizing winning elections. How can I support a Labour leader who doesn't want to form a Labour government above everything? When working people, the old, the young, the poor, the country, need a Labour government above everything?
I want a Labour government more than anything, because that is how we change the world and how we help millions of people, just as the 1997-2010 Labour government helped millions of people, my own family included.
Dear everyone who has asked me what my problems are with Corbyn's leadership,
Here is my experience.
Mr Corbyn appointed me and press released this without my knowledge or consent whilst I was in the middle of cancer treatment. He then sacked me the next day when he realized he had given away part of someone else's role. But didn't bother to tell me that either. By then my office had been besieged by press and the story was out that I was Shadow Minister. I decided to make the best of it and to serve. I worked on his Arts policy whilst I was still having treatment but in Bristol..
When I went back to Westminster, I discovered that he had sacked me but hadn't told me and did not have any ideas for how I was supposed to explain it to Bristol West members or constituents. I was then faced with the choice of telling the truth - that he had made a series of errors, and inevitably thereby face a pile of criticism from his supporters - or say I had changed my mind about accepting the role - and thereby face a pile of criticism from.his supporters. And I knew the pile would arrive because I had seen how it went for others who had resigned. And because Corbyn supporters had already piled into me for disloyalty when I had had to miss votes for cancer treatment.
I then, contrary to the story he keeps giving on TV, found it near on impossible to get to talk to him about this problem
Eventually I did get to meet him and he had nothing to say. No idea what to do. It took my boss Maria Eagle to explain to him that as he was leader he could re appoint me if that was what he wanted.
I then worked hard for him on his Arts policy, loyally didn't go to the press about the above, got stuck in and worked. And yes, I enjoyed the role, it is one of my dream jobs in parliament and I believe I did Corbyn and the Labour Party a great service, as millions of people work in the arts and culture sectors and they valued being involved in policy-making. So it was never my intention to resign.
However, I kept hearing from other colleagues on the front bench just how difficult or impossible it was to get a decision out of him on important policy issues - the very thing Corbyn is supposed to be good on. I also noticed that the policy making process through the National Policy Forum was being slowed down by lack of decisions from Corbyn's office.
But then he was missing in action during the EU referendum, including going on a week's holiday three weeks before the day. I found that unforgivable. I had re-started campaigning in this campaign, phone-canvassing to conserve my energy, and kept hearing Labour voters saying 'but your leader wants out, doesn't he?' His team didn't send anyone to the EU Campaign meetings in Westminster and his lack of enthusiasm showed.
On the day after the referendum he asked for an early Brexit. My constituents want exactly the opposite and were telling me so in their hundreds, and voted 85% to remain.
That was the tipping point for me - it is not allowed to remain on the front bench whilst taking an opposing view to the leader in something so important.
I therefore had to resign.
The reason I then voted no confidence in him as leader is because I have no confidence in him as leader. See above. Plus I had found out from other front bench women how unwilling and unable Corbyn is to communicate with, listen to or work with anyone outside his narrow group.
Since then he has stated publicly that he isn't prioritizing winning elections. How can I support a Labour leader who doesn't want to form a Labour government above everything? When working people, the old, the young, the poor, the country, need a Labour government above everything?
I want a Labour government more than anything, because that is how we change the world and how we help millions of people, just as the 1997-2010 Labour government helped millions of people, my own family included.
I profoundly wished I never had to say all this publicly, but people keep asking, and I believe they have a right to know the truth about what Corbyn's leadership is like.
We cannot win general elections with a leader who is unable and unwilling to learn how to communicate with, listen to and persuade people with whom he doesn't already agree - we need to convince swing voters who voted Tory last year in Southern seats to vote Labour next time and we need Labour voters in Wales and the North to continue to vote Labour - without this we can't win a general election.
all that is what's at stake. Not having a Labour government again is unbearable. I will do anything I can to help to ensure this. It's the constitutional duty of all Labour MPs, especially the leader, to try to secure a better life for working class people through parliamentary means. And that's what I will continue to do.
I hope that's clear.
Last edited by nickyinnorfolk on Mon 18 Jul, 2016 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

citizenJA wrote:
mbc1955 wrote:
Rebecca wrote: What,an opportunity to tear itself apart?
Love does that as well.
Joy Division
I always liked that song
Favourite. Song. Ever.
The truth ferret speaks!