Monday 18th July 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 18th July 2016

Post by HindleA »

Thanks for that tinybgoat.I keep those records organisations ask you to do. they are getting a bit bizarre.how many polar bears standing on a mint do you see at this time of year?
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

PorFavor wrote:Another "Time-share" situation with hilarious consequences? A PG Wodehouse "Blandings Castle" story?
Davis as Lord Emsworth, Johnson as Galahad & Fox as the Empress?
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

JonnyT1234 wrote:For the little it is worth, I like Bell and Rowson. I find Bell more imaginative than Rowson, Rowson more intellectual than Bell.

Bell's If... is very spotty, but his main cartoon has more often than not been excellent across the 30+ years I've been reading the Graun. Quite an achievement I'd say.

Edit: it also helps that Bell reminds me of my dad, both in terms of looks and wry humour.
I like both. Rowson makes you think. Bell though is the cartoonist that has given me belly laughs.

My favourite was Osborne in his black leather gear, on his hands and knees, with Dave riding him. There was just something about it that struck my sense of humour. I still chuckle when I think of it.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

HindleA wrote:Unless a hot air balloon happened to come directly above we were discrete.
That wouldn't have done you any good here on Sunday.
Mr Ohso was gazing out of the window and couldn't believe his eyes when a Virgin hot air balloon complete with a full basket of corporate sightseers, made an emergency landing in the school field just over the back of us...A few yards less and he'd have been on our roof.....
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

mbc1955 wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
mbc1955 wrote: Love does that as well.
Joy Division
I always liked that song
Favourite. Song. Ever.
Nice to see the band they became after Ian Curtis died are doing their bit for the community
2016-07-18_141350.jpg
2016-07-18_141350.jpg (81.91 KiB) Viewed 7279 times
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

HindleA wrote:Thanks for that tinybgoat.I keep those records organisations ask you to do. they are getting a bit bizarre.how many polar bears standing on a mint do you see at this time of year?
Sadly, since the eu h&s directive, only one at a time,
although polar bears are very territorial so you wouldn't have expected to see
more than one outside breeding season.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

nickyinnorfolk wrote: Thangham Debonnaire's FB post is worth a read.
True, which is why I read it yesterday or Saturday when it was first linked to. The problem remains though, that the people doing the criticising are not exactly demonstrating much in the way of competence themselves. So little of it in fact, that I am not much convinced that they'd be in any way better.

Hence the Belltoon I linked to.
Donald Trump: Making America Hate Again
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Solution to Labour's woes found.
Labour MP Karl Turner turns up at Labour leadership hustings with his newborn kid and suggests it could make a good leadership candidate.
@Jim Waterson
[Not actually joking]
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Speaking of cartoons...Spot Cameron's shoes.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... st-cartoon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

‎James Chespy‎ to Corbyn 50yrs+ Supporters Group
1 hr ·
By what authority does Progress have in accessing my personal membership details as held by the Labour Party? If my membership details have been made available to Progress or any other third party without prior permission then an offence has been committed under the data protection act..
Damon Rowley I've had a revolting email from some woman who did really badly in the deputy leader election. I wasn't best pleased. A load of bollox about why I shouldn't vote for Corbyn but nothing about who she thought I should vote for. So, 100%?negative campaigning from a proven loser.

Well Ms Flint, who I vote for is my business so please don't contact me again.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Labour Press Team ‏@labourpress 5h5 hours ago

.@johnmcdonnellMP announces Labour’s plans to set up national & regional development banks to share prosperity.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 36m36 minutes ago

Eagle also hinted at not backing down even if Smith ahead on nominations: "Leadership is about courage, not backroom fixes".
Really? Oh dear, oh dear.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

RobertSnozers wrote:Competence

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk ... nd-part-uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:roll:

Appearing on Sky News' Murnaghan programme to discuss the possibility of Scotland remaining in the EU while the rest of the United Kingdom leaves, Davis told viewers that "one of our really challenging issues . . . will be the internal border we have with southern Ireland".

Davis goes on: "we are not going to go about creating other internal borders inside the United Kingdom".

Christ.
As I said. Even. Thicker. Than. IDS.

Good luck Britain. This man will be leading negotiations with the rest of the EU.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk ... nd-part-uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Appearing on Sky News' Murnaghan programme to discuss the possibility of Scotland remaining in the EU while the rest of the United Kingdom leaves, Davis told viewers that "one of our really challenging issues . . . will be the internal border we have with southern Ireland".

Davis goes on: "we are not going to go about creating other internal borders inside the United Kingdom".

Christ.
Well at least he's made my Ireland/ English question last night look intelligent :rofl:
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

JonnyT1234 wrote:

Christ.
As I said. Even. Thicker. Than. IDS.

Good luck Britain. This man will be leading negotiations with the rest of the EU.
Now, now, this is just a resurgence of the kind of cultural imperialism that made Britain Great. We all know that Johnny Foreigner and all his little garlic-eating pals need Britain in order to function and they'll pay anything to worship at the Great White Mother's satined and bejewelled feet.
The truth ferret speaks!
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Thatcher rises: May is barely in the job for a day or so and already the sell off of Britain's industrial Crown Jewels to foreigners is waived through with nary a whisper:

The chancellor's reaction to SoftBank's takeover of ARM was ludicrous
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Cnoqx2FXgAMHKtG.jpg
Cnoqx2FXgAMHKtG.jpg (112.21 KiB) Viewed 7149 times
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

For those who don't know, ARM's microprocessor designs are the basis for all iPhone CPUs, and much more besides. One of the most impressive technology companies on the planet and we're just going to sell it off.

The Conservatives. As predictably destructive to British industry as always.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Emily Thornberry on the radio earlier. Very impressive.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://m.insidehousing.co.uk/7016094.ar ... esuccess=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Freud orders 'urgent' review into Universal Credit arrears
Last edited by HindleA on Mon 18 Jul, 2016 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

ohsocynical wrote:
Cnoqx2FXgAMHKtG.jpg
"That would actually be 1.5 times the size of the world economy, Lib Dem MEP Catherine Bearder said."
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Labour leadership election: New party of anti-Jeremy Corbyn MPs with Lib Dems 'a real possibility'

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics ... 97976.html
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

ohsocynical wrote:
Labour leadership election: New party of anti-Jeremy Corbyn MPs with Lib Dems 'a real possibility'

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics ... 97976.html

Have the LibDems ever been known to rule out anything (except pay and limousines, of course)?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... 1468733199" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Welfare cards carry number for sex line instead of help line
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

AngryAsWell wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
Cnoqx2FXgAMHKtG.jpg
"That would actually be 1.5 times the size of the world economy, Lib Dem MEP Catherine Bearder said."
You're not actuially suggesting that he's talking off the top of his head (or out of something lower) without having done the most minimal research into facts, are you?

Oh, you are.

Ok, carry on then.
The truth ferret speaks!
thatchersorphan
Committee Chair

Post by thatchersorphan »

Dear Damian Green: A plea to the man Theresa May has put in charge of welfare http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/de ... an-8442278" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

AngryAsWell wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
Cnoqx2FXgAMHKtG.jpg
Pretty sure she lifted that line from Chris Cook!
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Afternoon all.

After the joy of this morning's year 6 graduation, this afternoon was a more sombre affair.

Yes, I went and picked up my Leyton Orient season ticket...almost certain we're in for another miserable season.

I did then go to the crematorium as it's my mum's birthday and we had some lines put in the book of remembrance for today. Should have taken a hat though - baking hot today.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

RobertSnozers wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

Have the LibDems ever been known to rule out anything (except pay and limousines, of course)?
I've said it before and will no doubt say it again - I cannot see what the LibDems would gain from courting the authoritarian, pro-war wing of Labour, or even how they could exist in the same party. Just about the only thing they have in common is enthusiasm for free markets. Then again, you could say exactly the same about the Tories, so as you were.
Waiting for Benn, Eagle, Austin & Reid to publish a new Limehouse declaration
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

It seems there was reason for people to be doubtful.

Éoin ‏@LabourEoin 22m22 minutes ago
#Breaking Warnings from the Information Commissioner force Labour HQ to ban Labour Plotters accessing members' data
13718716_10157107685605403_4024253047153437360_n.jpg
13718716_10157107685605403_4024253047153437360_n.jpg (72.02 KiB) Viewed 6962 times
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

CnqHhvdXYAE_M2O.jpg
CnqHhvdXYAE_M2O.jpg (35.6 KiB) Viewed 6956 times
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Competence Item No. 673!

From Politics Home and being reported elsewhere.....

There was a hustings at lunchtime in which all three Labour Party leadership candidates pitched their thing to MPs and peers.

There is to be a ballot among them, and the result will be announced at 6pm on Wednesday evening. The expectation is that whoever has the lowest number of votes, Smith or Eagle, will drop out. Corbyn is, as we know, already on the ballot paper.
MPs are worried that fielding more than one candidate against Corbyn will split the anti-Corbyn vote. Unfortunately, Smith says he'll drop out if he gets the fewest votes, but Eagle, er, hasn't.

So one hour after the registration of the £25 members (who may already be fully paid-up members) closes, we'll know who is fighting Corbyn.
There might be a whole bunch of people encouraged to shell out £25 for Eagle or Smith who won't get to vote for their chosen candidate.

Omnishamblesclusterfuckwittery of the highest order.

Meanwhile, the Information Commissioner is looking at complaints that Saving Labour have breached the Data Protection Act.

Anyone got any popcorn?
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

RobertSnozers wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

I've said it before and will no doubt say it again - I cannot see what the LibDems would gain from courting the authoritarian, pro-war wing of Labour, or even how they could exist in the same party. Just about the only thing they have in common is enthusiasm for free markets. Then again, you could say exactly the same about the Tories, so as you were.

The Libbing Dead are, as Nellie Boswell would opine, TARTS!

They'd get into bed with anyone who offered them a ministerial motor. Oops! They already did......

As you say, Robert, it's as you were.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:
HindleA wrote:Unless a hot air balloon happened to come directly above we were discrete.
That wouldn't have done you any good here on Sunday.
Mr Ohso was gazing out of the window and couldn't believe his eyes when a Virgin hot air balloon complete with a full basket of corporate sightseers, made an emergency landing in the school field just over the back of us...A few yards less and he'd have been on our roof.....
Surreal
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

CnqHU8mWIAARPrM.jpg
CnqHU8mWIAARPrM.jpg (99.94 KiB) Viewed 6933 times
thatchersorphan
Committee Chair

Post by thatchersorphan »

Seeing tweets that labour supporter site crashing -this link worked for me,if slow to load (though not planning on voting, was just looking for verification of tweets) https://donate.labour.org.uk/leadership/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Afternoon all.

After the joy of this morning's year 6 graduation, this afternoon was a more sombre affair.

Yes, I went and picked up my Leyton Orient season ticket...almost certain we're in for another miserable season.

I did then go to the crematorium as it's my mum's birthday and we had some lines put in the book of remembrance for today. Should have taken a hat though - baking hot today.
(my bold)
Me too! I'd sunscreen, water, light clothing cover but no sunglasses or hat.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Someone has tweeted that Guido Fawkes has focused on Owen Smith more than Eagle. He's tweeted nearly four times as much about Smith.
Maybe right wingers [real right wingers not the right of the Labour party] see Smith as more of a threat than Corbyn or Eagle.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

thatchersorphan wrote:Seeing tweets that labour supporter site crashing -this link worked for me,if slow to load (though not planning on voting, was just looking for verification of tweets) https://donate.labour.org.uk/leadership/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not loading for me, tried 3 browsers - everything else working fine though.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

OK now, but I'm being told I am now in a queue.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Fwiw, Labour have been (or were) in breach of the DPA for donkey's. They've never, as far as I am aware, indicated for what purpose they will use your email address if you ever register it with them or input it on their website. This was a problem back at the last leadership election and probably extends much further back than that.

Competence.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

You'd think that the party that drafted the DPA would know what it says, wouldn't you. I mean, what they're breaking here is the fricking fundamental basic premise of the act.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

JonnyT1234 wrote:Fwiw, Labour have been (or were) in breach of the DPA for donkey's. They've never, as far as I am aware, indicated for what purpose they will use your email address if you ever register it with them or input it on their website. This was a problem back at the last leadership election and probably extends much further back than that.

Competence.
Hang on, this would be the 1998 Data Protection Act, wouldn't it? Brought in by that Blair Bloke.
Shouldn't they at least have read it.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

tinybgoat wrote:
JonnyT1234 wrote:Fwiw, Labour have been (or were) in breach of the DPA for donkey's. They've never, as far as I am aware, indicated for what purpose they will use your email address if you ever register it with them or input it on their website. This was a problem back at the last leadership election and probably extends much further back than that.

Competence.
Hang on, this would be the 1998 Data Protection Act, wouldn't it? Brought in by that Blair Bloke.
Shouldn't they at least have read it.
Probably did but decided it was worth a punt....How many people have they managed to reach. On Facebook quite a few complaining about being contacted.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

TobyLatimer wrote:OK now, but I'm being told I am now in a queue.
Well, get to the back of it, entryist!
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

TobyLatimer wrote:OK now, but I'm being told I am now in a queue.
You're going to conform to the English stereotype, whether you like it or not! :lol:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Cnp9I-XW8AAJY67.jpg
Cnp9I-XW8AAJY67.jpg (222.13 KiB) Viewed 7311 times
I've been seeing this photo on Twitter all day, but didn't take much notice of it...And then I read the following Tweet.

Michael Taylor ‏@Michael_Taylor_ 3h3 hours ago
'I'm normal' = not LGBT like Eagle
'I have children' = #OwenSmith becomes #Labour's #AndreaLeadsom
#LabourLeadership

Tell me it's not true?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

RobertSnozers wrote:I think Labour HQ is a bit snowed under. Got a letter today to tell me my membership is in arrears, despite the fact that I sent my renewal in a couple of weeks ago. Tried to phone. Needless to say I didn't get anywhere near speaking to a person.
I've seen someone else in our local party had this problem. She asked CLP officials what to do. I think they managed to help her.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

To be fair, I think the people who are getting hot under the collar about Smith saying he's "normal" are being a bit silly.

One of the things about social media that drives me bananas is the way some people (yes, Ms.J.Phillips, I'm looking at you) seem to look for things to get outraged about.

I could spend all day looking at Britain First Tweets and get outraged. Life's a bit short for that.

I don't think Smith presenting himself as Mr.Normal is any worse than Eagle presenting herself as dead northern.

They're both a bit ordinary, really. As are most people. Except me - but then, I'm the Queen.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ephemerid wrote:To be fair, I think the people who are getting hot under the collar about Smith saying he's "normal" are being a bit silly.

One of the things about social media that drives me bananas is the way some people (yes, Ms.J.Phillips, I'm looking at you) seem to look for things to get outraged about.

I could spend all day looking at Britain First Tweets and get outraged. Life's a bit short for that.

I don't think Smith presenting himself as Mr.Normal is any worse than Eagle presenting herself as dead northern.

They're both a bit ordinary, really. As are most people. Except me - but then, I'm the Queen.
I hope you're right.