Thursday 21st July 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 21st July 2016

Post by tinyclanger2 »

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/ ... day-profit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
New European in profit on release.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

HindleA wrote:Have I Got News For You

Owen Smith says Labour needs to be great at solutions not just slogans as he unveils new "Solutions not Slogans" slogan.
:clap: Brilliant!
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://uk.businessinsider.com/brexit-ec ... pen-2016-7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brexit problems summarised in 10 "easy" steps. Including:

two thirds of net migration over last 10 years (to UK) has been non-EU.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Am presuming the leadership election results will include a breakdown by area ?
It'd be interesting to know how much support each candidate got in Wales [well, I think so] and regions.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/ ... 00542.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ireland poll 70% "would vote" for united ireland.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

It's a shame we don't have any FTNers in Wallasey.
An insider's view would be interesting.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scien ... 48471.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Scientists say they have proved that doing good things for no personal gain can have an evolutionary advantage in the long run
sadly our cultural progression towards altruism got scuppered by The Thatch.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Sorry about getting above myself in my last post, above . . . . .
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/why ... 48636.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
research, by academics at LSE, found that particular social attitudes like support for the death penalty were the best indicators of whether someone supports Leave. As with the economic indicators, these values tended to be more widespread in older people, becoming steadily less popular across society. Illustratively, the British Social Attitudes survey found support for the death penalty dropping below 50 per cent for the first time ever last year.

somewhat encouraging (if alarming that support is so high).
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

We've got our country back part 12:
The quintessentially British strawberries and cream synonymous with events such as Wimbledon and Glyndebourne could be lost from the traditional summer fare because of Brexit, farming leaders have warned. Suppliers of native crops – including cucumbers, apples, raspberries and blackberries – could go out of business because of potential bans on EU migrant workers.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... mers-union" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Humour gets me through everything,unfortunately the more tense the situation the more sillier I get.I hard time explaining why I was doing naked Tommy Cooper impressions with a fruit bowl in lieu of a fez on my head,when care staff came in,I thought we had cancelled them.It strictly wasn't died laughing but as close as you could get.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

PorFavor wrote:Sorry about getting above myself in my last post, above . . . . .
That's beneath you Porf. (see what I did there)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:Humour gets me through everything,unfortunately the more tense the situation the more sillier I get.I hard time explaining why I was doing naked Tommy Cooper impressions with a fruit bowl in lieu of a fez on my head,when care staff came in,I thought we had cancelled them.It strictly wasn't died laughing but as close as you could get.
Brilliant. Thank you, my friend.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:We've got our country back part 12:
The quintessentially British strawberries and cream synonymous with events such as Wimbledon and Glyndebourne could be lost from the traditional summer fare because of Brexit, farming leaders have warned. Suppliers of native crops – including cucumbers, apples, raspberries and blackberries – could go out of business because of potential bans on EU migrant workers.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... mers-union" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Remember "pick your own strawberries"? Was anyone ever game enough to try that more than once? Will gladly pay over the odds for someone to be well paid to pick them myself, though home grown always an option - picking 3 strawberries a day is far less onerous than 3 punnets in an hour, though admittedly not much good if you want a whole bowlful in one go. Are we really going back to the 1970's then? Child labour and underpaid college students, wasn't it? Them were the days, 'got me country back' innit.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Willow904 wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:We've got our country back part 12:

Remember "pick your own strawberries"? Was anyone ever game enough to try that more than once? Will gladly pay over the odds for someone to be well paid to pick them myself, though home grown always an option - picking 3 strawberries a day is far less onerous than 3 punnets in an hour, though admittedly not much good if you want a whole bowlful in one go. Are we really going back to the 1970's then? Child labour and underpaid college students, wasn't it? Them were the days, 'got me country back' innit.
Posting from the home of the strawberry -

I paid for my tennis racquet (school kit) with the proceeds of strawberry picking. Bloody hard work.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

"I have quite a dilemma. Do I call you [forename] or Dr. [6 syllable tongue twister]?"

Yep, just back from the docs and what a three days it has been; two examinations at different hospital departments and today the results of a blood test partly because I chuntered about the side effects of statins that didn't agree with me. I am on more agreeable tablets for my blood pressure these last few weeks as it happens, not that it's gone down. Less of the politics perhaps.

Anyway I shall share the good news since I hadn't mentioned why to anybody... Nothing cancerous. Yay! It does however leave me somewhat perplexed. I didn't think so but was only following doctor's orders and really didn't like being poked about. Do I or do I not mention things that ail me in the future?
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

HindleA wrote:Humour gets me through everything,unfortunately the more tense the situation the more sillier I get.I hard time explaining why I was doing naked Tommy Cooper impressions with a fruit bowl in lieu of a fez on my head,when care staff came in,I thought we had cancelled them.It strictly wasn't died laughing but as close as you could get.
Just like that. Or just like that? :lol:
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Dr. Chris Jones
‏@dr_chris_jones

Satirical poem about Hilary Benn by Kevin Higgins, now suspended from Labour for writing it & others.

https://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/a-7 ... 4WGvqLsd-w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … #JezWeCanAgain
I was expecting something a bit risque.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Not looking any better from HE Sector so far:

http://www.economist.com/news/britain/2 ... class-mess" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- EU student numbers
- EU funding
- leading EU researchers
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

I take it this is the NHS's fault and nothing to do with the utterly incompetent government we have?

NHS bosses launch 'reset' plan to tackle £2.45bn deficit

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... l-measures" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NHS bosses have launched a controversial plan to “reset” the health service’s broken finances that will see overspending hospitals taken into financial special measures as part of a crackdown to tackle a £2.45bn deficit.

Five hospital trusts that are set to overshoot their budgets by a wide margin this year along with 14 GP-led local clinical commissioning groups (CCGs) that are also facing acute financial problems are the first NHS bodies to be forced into special measures. Their bosses have been given weeks to devise an action plan to reduce overspending or risk being replaced.

The initiative was unveiled at the same time as it emerged the Department of Health only avoided busting its £118.3bn budget in 2015-16 because it received £417m more than planned in extra national insurance receipts because of an “administrative error” for which it will not be punished.

The National Audit Office criticised Jeremy Hunt’s department for its failure to come up with “a robust, credible and comprehensive plan to move the NHS on to a more sustainable footing”.
Has there ever been a government more utterly useless at managing things than this one?
Last edited by RogerOThornhill on Thu 21 Jul, 2016 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Éoin ‏@LabourEoin 21h21 hours ago

90 Labour MPs boycotted the Rebels Leadership Hustings yesterday. Some of them have contacted Shadow Ministers offering them assistance.
I know it's Eon. Please scroll past if you don't want to read his post.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

yahyah wrote:It's a shame we don't have any FTNers in Wallasey.
An insider's view would be interesting.
Don't - next we'll be hearing on twitter that entryist FTN members are infiltrating CLPs ;-)
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Smith should have phrased it 'Solutions, not just slogans'.
The sentiment of his slogan may hit home, even if the phrasing attracts disapproval.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Tony Blair has endorsed his friend Owen Smith. Blair's former advisers John McTernan and Lance Price will be advising Smith's campaign
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

On second thoughts anything to do with solutions sounds like supermarket ads. Maybe best if Smith scraps it.
'our curry solutions', 'buy our super soft toilet roll for your bum solutions'.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

ohsocynical wrote:Blair's former advisers John McTernan ... will be advising Smith's campaign
Corbyn moves straight from uncertain to dead certain to win, in one fell swoop.
Donald Trump: Making America Hate Again
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

utopiandreams@

Good news about the test ! Must be a worry off your shoulders.

And yes, please do share things in the future if it helps you, and so we know how you are.
We FTNers may not agree much at the moment, but there's still a lot of caring around these parts.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Part of Lilian Greenwood's reason for quitting the shadow cabinet falls flat at first hurdle.
Can you trust anything these people say? At all?
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

A solution is a fluid which has stuff dissolved in it. Dead scientific, me.

Perhaps we could patent FTN's very own Sloganic Acid Solution - perfect for those pesky soundbites!
Just drop your irritant into the Sloganic Acid Solution, and hey presto! Just the thing for cleaning the drains!

(Because plugholes need love too)

Meanwhile, I have noticed that it's been nice here today. The weather outside is frightful, but the nest is so delightful.......
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

yahyah wrote:Am presuming the leadership election results will include a breakdown by area ?
It'd be interesting to know how much support each candidate got in Wales [well, I think so] and regions.
There wasn't any breakdown at all last time - in 2010 they were actually given at CLP level. Something to raise with party HQ?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

ohsocynical wrote:
Dr. Chris Jones
‏@dr_chris_jones

Satirical poem about Hilary Benn by Kevin Higgins, now suspended from Labour for writing it & others.

https://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/a-7 ... 4WGvqLsd-w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … #JezWeCanAgain
I was expecting something a bit risque.

Would be better if it was. It is not good poetry, just bitter.
The digs via his father certainly lack taste, but that's not surprising.
The bile of a 'principled' one goes deep.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Momentum ‏@PeoplesMomentum 1h1 hour ago

Myth busting: Jeremy traveled 2,768 miles campaigning for Remain; 123 appearances across the UK; 60 in just 22 days
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Solvents not solutions!
Substrates not solvents!
Catalysts not substrates!
Reagents not catalysts!
Solutions not reagents!
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
yahyah wrote:Am presuming the leadership election results will include a breakdown by area ?
There wasn't any breakdown at all last time - in 2010 they were actually given at CLP level. Something to raise with party HQ?

Thanks Anatoly. I couldn't remember if there had been.
I'll email them.

But maybe they can't actually collate the info ? It may breach the ballot confidentiality ?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

JonnyT1234 wrote:Solvents not solutions!
Substrates not solvents!
Reagents not catalysts!
Solutions not reagents!
:lol:

I'd vote for that.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

yahyah wrote:
Substrates not solvents!
Reagents not catalysts!
Solutions not reagents!
:lol:

I'd vote for that.
Better than anything else on offer...
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Thanks, yahyah. My staying schtum had more to do with my family than anything else. My youngest still lives with me and my eldest and his daughter have moved in next door, more for their benefit than mine I reckon. Anyway I have to consider they lost their mother relatively young. Sadly my youngest cannot even remember his mum before her stroke and if I'm honest there was no comparison. Eventually she was almost back to herself the last two or three months before the brain haemorrhage that paralysed her. Such is life.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

JonnyT1234 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Blair's former advisers John McTernan ... will be advising Smith's campaign

Why does this man still keep getting work? I don't get it.

He was Jim Murphy's Chief of Staff when all Labour seats but one (including Murphy's) were lost at the GE last year.

He caused problems for Julia Gillard in Australia, and said Scotland was narrow and racist. He said last year that if Corbyn won the leadership contest he should be deposed immediately, and describes support for him as a strange psychological emotional spasm.

Nice bloke. Not. Why Owen Smith has him on board is a mystery to me. Assuming he wants to win.....

He could do with a bath in some Sloganic Acid Solution.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Temulkar wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:
yahyah wrote:Maybe Tubby could chip in on that if he's reading.
He's a Classics man. Miss his input here.
Tem would know, FWIW
I blame Cicero.
Fings wot I 'ave learnt today. Jeremy Corbyn's nickname is Cicero.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Substrates not solvents!
Reagents not catalysts!
Solutions not reagents!

You're just being picky now.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

ephemerid wrote:
JonnyT1234 wrote:

Why does this man still keep getting work? I don't get it.

He was Jim Murphy's Chief of Staff when all Labour seats but one (including Murphy's) were lost at the GE last year.

He caused problems for Julia Gillard in Australia, and said Scotland was narrow and racist. He said last year that if Corbyn won the leadership contest he should be deposed immediately, and describes support for him as a strange psychological emotional spasm.

Nice bloke. Not. Why Owen Smith has him on board is a mystery to me. Assuming he wants to win.....

He could do with a bath in some Sloganic Acid Solution.
He's an electoral genius doncha know. Able to turn a massive majority into a crushing defeat just like that. Just a shame that it's mainly for the side he's working for but, 'electoral genius'.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Bench fees not political and economic catastrophes!
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Labour MP Gisela Stuart has said she may not vote in the upcoming leadership contest unless Owen Smith drops his support for a second referendum on the EU.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/po ... t-not-vote
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

(getting coat emoticon)
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

ephemerid wrote:
Substrates not solvents!
Reagents not catalysts!
Solutions not reagents!

You're just being picky now.
Pickly I think.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Does it need explanation ?

One of the reasons I was initially very wary of voting for Corbyn was because of the risk he came from that part of the left like Galloway. Bombastic, egotistical.
Thankfully he isn't cut from the same cloth as Galloway, which is why I voted for him.

But a lot of his more enthusiastic supporters are exactly what I thought they'd be like.
Please don't tell me some aren't, I'm not blind to what is written.
Calling people murderers, posing as peace lovers but seeming to hate everyone who disagrees with them
Rightly sensitive to every war crime by Israel but wrongly ignoring rockets from Palestinian territory when they kill innocent people.

There is nothing clever about the poem. To presume upon the relationship of a man and his dead father is, in my opinion, tasteless when used in that form.

It is that part of the left that is making me seriously consider my vote this time around.
Corbyn is a decent man, but a leader has to be more than that.
I realise that probably marks me out as a red tory, but hey, ho, my shoulders are broad.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:(getting coat emoticon)
It's completely meaningless while sounding tremendously meaningful. You've invented the purest green of Blairhetoric.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

and for the avoidance of doubt, no I am not referring to anyone on FTN.
But if anyone is in the mood to take offence, please use me as a punchbag if it helps.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

yahyah wrote:and for the avoidance of doubt, no I am not referring to anyone on FTN.
But if anyone is in the mood to take offence, please use me as a punchbag if it helps.
Are you alright YahYah?
Only,you really don't seem your usual self recently.