Monday 25th July 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
MsChin
Backbencher

Re: Monday 25th July 2016

Post by MsChin »

Thank you yahyah & frog.
*Waves to all*
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Christian MayVerified account
‏@ChristianJMay

Frank Field's criticism of Green was undoubtedly colourful, personal and deeply hostile. Now Green is suing the MP for libe
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

If I my being a Labour MP right now would save the lives of my constituents, I'd do it. Nothing else would motivate me to do it. Nothing else. At all.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

NatWest paves way for introduction of negative interest rates

Bank warns business customers it may have to charge to accept deposits but says it has no plans to do so for personal accounts (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... rest-rates
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

PorFavor wrote:
NatWest paves way for introduction of negative interest rates

Bank warns business customers it may have to charge to accept deposits but says it has no plans to do so for personal accounts (Guardian)
"Mattress production increased on fears of banks charging for current accounts"
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

ohsocynical wrote:Christian MayVerified account
‏@ChristianJMay

Frank Field's criticism of Green was undoubtedly colourful, personal and deeply hostile. Now Green is suing the MP for libe
If Philip Green threatened to sue me for libe, I'd tell him to go to L.

(Sorry!)
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

PorFavor wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Christian MayVerified account
‏@ChristianJMay

If Philip Green threatened to sue me for libe, I'd tell him to go to L.

(Sorry!)

Better than most...if we are unlucky Tem will start telling some of his jokes..... ;)
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

The Corbyn Story - on now

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

In tonight's Blow Your Own Trumpet/How Crap Is The Graun's Churnalism? spot, I did mention this several days ago...
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

Ooops, sorry PF, I see you've already picked up on the NatWest story.

I blame myself for an outbreak of negative attention to detail, with particular reference to keeping abreast of the thread.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Hobiejoe wrote:In tonight's Blow Your Own Trumpet/How Crap Is The Graun's Churnalism? spot, I did mention this several days ago...

Yes - I thought the story seemed familiar. Sorry for not remembering why.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

PorFavor wrote:
Hobiejoe wrote:In tonight's Blow Your Own Trumpet/How Crap Is The Graun's Churnalism? spot, I did mention this several days ago...

Yes - I thought the story seemed familiar. Sorry for not remembering why.

Ah - crossed wires!
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Apologies if mentioned but a link to submit a question for the leadership debates

http://www.labour.org.uk/pages/leadersh ... 6#question" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"What is the furthest distance you have thrown a tea bag into a mug"

I think that gets to the heart of the issue.

Mine's fourty feet three inches,it will be interesting how that compares.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

HindleA wrote:"What is the furthest distance you have thrown a tea bag into a mug"

I think that gets to the heart of the issue.

Mine's fourty feet three inches,it will be interesting how that compares.
Dry or wet?

I'd be very impressed if it were dry...
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Nearly Legal
‏@nearlylegal
@MidWalesMike I'm a lawyer. And I am astonished at your stupidity. Friendly warning - you are up the creek without a paddle.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

It was dry,there was a ladder involved there was a slight throw but of course it was more of a drop.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

£530 HB cut for 200,000 households by Christmas and why Owen Smith couldn’t lead a dog …
Today I was reliably informed the cut in the overall benefit cap figures of 11.5% in London and 23% in the regions will begin on Monday 7 November.

The average housing benefit cut per week is just under £76 per week and this means some 200,000 new families will see a cumulative £530 cut in their housing benefit by Christmas Day.

But hey let’s not be negative and say enjoy Christmas because its the last one you will spend in you current home as you will undoubtedly be evicted because of it before next Christmas – and probably well before Easter by which time your housing benefit cut will be at least a further £1000 on top of this.

https://speye.wordpress.com/2016/07/25/ ... ead-a-dog/
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:It was dry,there was a ladder involved there was a slight throw but of course it was more of a drop.
I'm declaring shenanigans on your tea bag throw.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

It's going through the Court's at the moment.At the present time the result still stands.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ohsocynical wrote:
£530 HB cut for 200,000 households by Christmas and why Owen Smith couldn’t lead a dog …
Today I was reliably informed the cut in the overall benefit cap figures of 11.5% in London and 23% in the regions will begin on Monday 7 November.

The average housing benefit cut per week is just under £76 per week and this means some 200,000 new families will see a cumulative £530 cut in their housing benefit by Christmas Day.

But hey let’s not be negative and say enjoy Christmas because its the last one you will spend in you current home as you will undoubtedly be evicted because of it before next Christmas – and probably well before Easter by which time your housing benefit cut will be at least a further £1000 on top of this.

https://speye.wordpress.com/2016/07/25/ ... ead-a-dog/
In an article for the New Statesman back in January Owen Smith once again flatly contradicted the position that Corbyn pledged at the TUC conference in September 2015 over the overall benefit cap:

Smith announced that he would soon begin a review of social security policy for the party. Corbyn has pledged to abolish the household benefit cap but Smith said that the current limit of £20,000 (£23,000 in London) should be reformed, rather than scrapped. “We’re in favour of there being a measure that would guarantee that you couldn’t have unlimited benefits for one household, I think there has got to be some means of doing that,” he said.

So where is this review Owen Smith? You were the Shadow Secretary of State for DWP up until June this year and yet in that time we see no mention of any such review, no policy idea from any such claimed review and not one bloody word about this specific policy – the OBC reduction – which you will have known will see at least 500,000 more children evicted and made homeless at the time you penned this article in the New Statesman.

You have never issued one word in public about what the reduced overall benefit cap for individual households will manifest. Not one word about this policy creating a minimum of half a million children homeless despite being the Labour Party’s responsible minister for this Tory policy.

You are a coward, a charlatan, a fraud, a career politician who cares only for his own personal backside even when it means half a million children will be evicted and made homeless. Owen Smith is spineless and always has been yet in today’s highly charged political atmosphere any criticism of Smith or Corbyn brings howls of derision from the polarised supporters of each, yet there is no doubt that Owen Smith is spineless and in the lay language of any Labour supporter a shit house.

Before the usual suspects and the Owen Smith cronies and all the anyone-but-Corbyn brigade spit out their proverbial dummies and open their mouths before putting their brain into gear think on this …

… if Owen Smith is not prepared to stand up for or lead on such a grave and known humanitarian crisis of 500,000 UK children being made homeless and says nothing because this Tory policy is apparently “popular” he is not fit to lead on anything is he?

Corbyn needs to assert on this policy too and bloody quickly. In just over 3 months time this policy begins and it will see at least 500,000 new children being evicted and made homeless and compare that to the current figure of around 100,000. Any and every member of every party including the Conservatives who came up with this deluded ideological fuckwittery of a policy should call for it to be scrapped.

The leader of the Labour Party even if the British Labour Party was led by Genghis Khan should be screaming opposition to this policy from the highest height.

Corbyn’s instinct or even knowledge (who knows he may have read one of my scores of detailed blogs on the subject!) was right when he stated that Labour would oppose the overall benefit cap reduction in September 2015 and changing the Miliband policy of supporting it from 6 months earlier in the 2015 election manifesto, or maybe he was just lucky but who cares.

Corbyn needs to scream his and the Labour Party’s opposition to the overall benefit cap policy and reduction and the fact that in doing so he exposes Owen Smith to be unfit to lead a dog is a bonus for all Labour Party supporters.

The Tories under May have quietly backtracked on the roll out of the Universal Credit policy of ‘the last lot’ which now applies to Cameron’s administration clearly and quietly is the operative word here as Theresa May’s administration could quietly bring back hanging and no one would notice such is the free ride the media are giving her due to the pantomime that the Labour Party has become.

Its a minimum 500,000 additional children that will be evicted, made homeless and have their life chances irreparably damaged by the way. Just think on that whether you vote Tory or Liberal or SNP or Plaid Cymru or Green or any political party and even if you would kill for either Smith or Corbyn!

Children for fucks sake!

Just thought I'd better make it clear, this post is a continuation of the article.
Last edited by ohsocynical on Mon 25 Jul, 2016 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

It was that or "Would you be willing to have a hop 'til you drop competition",so I think they have got of lightly,assuming of course if the moderator is pissed or something and selects that question.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:It's going through the Court's at the moment.At the present time the result still stands.
Acknowledged.
:rock:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Hmm...free speech...

HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistic ... ce#history" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tabulation Tool questionnaire: statistical notice

The tabulation tool (they've stopped updating it and a consultation has just ended as to what information should be on Stat-Explore).This is a pain because the same information will be somewhere abouts but not all in the same place.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Ian Katz ‏@iankatz1000 4m4 minutes ago
.@nicholaswatt says more (junior) shadow ministers expected to unresign when MPs return to Westminster in September #newsnight
0 retweets 0 likes

More making themselves look utterly foolish then?

:roll:
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

What is happening in this world ?

Sagamihara, Japan (AP) -- The Kyodo news agency is reporting that 19 people are dead and 20 injured following a knife attack in Sagamihara, outside Tokyo.
A knife-wielding man attacked a facility for the disabled and then turned himself in, police said.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... ife-attack" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... on-project" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HB Bulletin U2/2016: Payment Deduction Project

Payment Deduction Project (PDP) is due to go live on 1 August 2016.

The PDP is a technical solution for the recovery of Housing Benefit debt from Universal Credit and non-Universal Credit benefits.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

CaBxIyiWcAAXdO-.jpg
CaBxIyiWcAAXdO-.jpg (83.65 KiB) Viewed 4954 times
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

howsillyofme1 wrote:...

I will focus again on that most minor, in the big scheme of things, subject - the Labour Party leadership. Each day becoming more like a student jape! It is this subject that causes most debate

Scenario 1 - Smith wins

Highly unlikely based on recent polling but just possible. Nowt really against the chap but he is just come across as a bit, well, crap. It is surprising that he is really the only person who could challenge Corbyn...perhaps this explains why Corbyn is leader

If he does win then the PLP will be happy (for a couple of weeks), I guess he will then be undermined like those previous leaders. His lack of experience, being Welsh (appeal to the wankers in Nuneaton not strong enough) and his PR past will all give plenty of ammunition.

Two things could happen to a Smith leadership, the membership elects a left-wing NEC and then takes revenge during any selection battles under the new boundaries - or perhaps we have mandatory reselection. Battle between the membership and PLP takes on a new look, without Corbyn as the lightning rod.

Other option is the membership loses interest and Labour continue the decline shown since 2001

Scenario 2 - Corbyn wins

Most likely and most interesting

It is possible that all comes together and we pretend this all never happened - odds on that low to infinitely low

One possibility I think may happen is that the PLP tries to set itself up as a separate party in Parliament - that raises some questions that I do not know the answer to.

I guess if they have enough members then they could set themselves up as the Official Opposition but lot of ifs and buts
I assume all who did that would be automatically thrown out of the party and deselected - is this the case?
If the latter is the case then how many would really jump?.....it would be a risky move that may not seem that attractive

The other possibility is they continue trying to undermine Corbyn whilst staying in the party....another risky move that may encourage a move to mandatory reselection - depends on the NEC make-up

To be honest I am just seeing this as a game now as it has become beyond ridiculous and perhaps we need a big massive row to relieve the tension and perhaps a phoenix will rise from the flames. At the moment I see little positive outcome
I think a very likely outcome is that Corbyn wins with a smaller majority than last time and the PLP declare their right to therefore keep agitating against him, leaking, running stories and generally acting like a full time 'opposition to the opposition'.

Also, nothing that happened in Cleveland last week would have surprised me, however extreme, but I'm genuinely surprised and concerned that Sanders' delegates at the Dem's convention are reported to be chanting 'Lock her up' at every mention of Hilary's name. Working for President Trump...
I still believe in a town called Hope
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Yeah.Secretary of State can adjust it as he sees fit eg.existing/new, different rates different areas,etc.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Ian Katz ‏@iankatz1000 4m4 minutes ago
.@nicholaswatt says more (junior) shadow ministers expected to unresign when MPs return to Westminster in September #newsnight
0 retweets 0 likes

I think a lot of them were talked into it. Told that there'd be a new leader and they should be on board when it happened. It doesn't say much for their characters but I'm not going to turn my nose up if they do unresign. It removes the worry he won't have enough support to form a cabinet, and from what I've seen on Twitter it's been trending that everyone is very glad to see Sarah Champion break the ice.
Corbyn apparently means it when he says he wants everyone on board working together, which is another plus for his character. I have no doubt the stalwarts of the coup won't be keen to return cap in hand, but they'll need to be thinking long and hard about what they're going to do.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

If this is true, this will be just so delicious...

RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I;m sure it's only a matter of time before the TaxPayers Alliance, fearless attackers of wastes of public money, will make a statement about the Dispatches programme about academy trusts.

They will won't they?

No?
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

ohsocynical wrote:
CaBxIyiWcAAXdO-.jpg
where did you find that 8% interest one ?
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

ohsocynical wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:Ian Katz ‏@iankatz1000 4m4 minutes ago
0 retweets 0 likes

I think a lot of them were talked into it. Told that there'd be a new leader and they should be on board when it happened. It doesn't say much for their characters but I'm not going to turn my nose up if they do unresign. It removes the worry he won't have enough support to form a cabinet, and from what I've seen on Twitter it's been trending that everyone is very glad to see Sarah Champion break the ice.
Corbyn apparently means it when he says he wants everyone on board working together, which is another plus for his character. I have no doubt the stalwarts of the coup won't be keen to return cap in hand, but they'll need to be thinking long and hard about what they're going to do.
Roger -- they're not retreating, just advancing in another direction .

It looks like we're approaching the state when an hour is a long time in LP politics , and all predictions etc are OFF :)

Trump is making even cosier friends with the French ---

In the NBC interview, Trump noted ‘‘specific problems’’ in Germany and France and was asked if his proposal would limit immigration from France because they have been compromised by terrorism.

Trump replied: ‘‘They have totally been. And you know why? It’s their own fault. Because they allowed people to come into their territory.’’ He then called for ‘‘extreme vetting’’ and said: ‘‘We have to have tough, we’re going to have tough standards. . . . If a person can’t prove what they have to be able to prove, they’re not coming into this country.’’
http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nation/ ... _campaign=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NN !

PS ... tough standards , such as waterboarding for visa applicants ?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

frog222 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
CaBxIyiWcAAXdO-.jpg
where did you find that 8% interest one ?

Don't know where they are getting the specificity of the rate of interest because S of S can adjust as he sees fit.The consultation was some years ago with no actual response beyond "were looking at feedback" and removing the ability to work and receive any housing support whatsoever under UC,because most people didn't work given there were not expected to but if they did it was a case of tough shit you are literally insignificant so we might as well ensure you don't exist(I did for five years,little financial difference but it kept you in employment,which needless to say a tad important if you can manage it) .The proposal was to time limit for two years for all as it has always been for people on JSA .The new revamped version which wasn't mentioned,consulted on in any fashion just appeared to remove the benefit completely for all because it is clear there is absolutely no difference between being fully fit or struggling to breathe in the view of raving fascists.. They are still looking at how to implement as far as I know and have given themselves much leeway,even adjust according to different areas.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Payments from a £3bn European development fund were suspended indefinitely by the UK Government, just days after the vote to leave the EU, The Independent can reveal.

The fund, designed to promote economic growth, has to be matched by payments from member states and there was speculation the UK Treasury may be concerned about whether the Government can afford to continue paying its share, particularly if it had to meet any shortfall for schemes which extend into the post-Brexit period.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 54526.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'