Monday, 1st August 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Re: Monday, 1st August 2016

Post by Willow904 »

citizenJA wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
CoyXEGrXYAAvy-j.jpg
Debbie Abrahams ‏@Debbie_abrahams 1h1 hour ago

The govt' has scrapped #maintenancegrants today & replaced w/ student loans, plunging students into further debt.

How much time does Corbyn need to create a functional Labour government?
That sort of depends on what you count as necessary to be a functional government. On some counts, I think the answer is "an extremely long time"
Blanchflower, who is advocating a 5% cut in VAT, also said Smith had been better at consulting businesses and economists in three weeks than Corbyn’s leadership had over the last nine months.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... owen-smith" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When Corbyn snubbed Angela Eagle for the shadow chancellor role, in favour of his friend, McDonnell, when he passed over someone who merited the role on ability in favour of someone from his own clique, I felt he wasn't very serious about reaching out to the rest of the party and that he wasn't very interested in forming a credible government in waiting. He hasn't even made much use of Andy Burnham, whose loyalty to the membership's mandate is beyond question. He hasn't made much use of the economist's panel either. He has prioritised attending 3rd party rallies and generally doing much of what he did before.

I personally don't think Corbyn is what the Labour party needs. I don't subscribe to the idea that the sky will fall in on democracy within the Labour party if Corbyn isn't re-elected any more than I subscribe to the idea that the party will split unless Smith is successful. They are two sides of the same coin, laying unknowable consequences at the door of those voting to influence (or explain their own) choice. RobertSnozers isn't going to vote for Smith because he worked for big pharma. That's a reason I can understand and respect. I'm not going to vote for Corbyn, because I can't trust the economic or political judgement of someone who, for a long time, wanted an EU referendum and supported Brexit, albeit he had a last minute change of mind. I prefer the soft left of Miliband anyway, which is where Smith seems to be. In essence, what I'm suggesting is that anyone with a vote should simply vote for whoever they like most, not because of what they think may happen if they make one choice or another. We cannot know and it will not be any individual's "fault" if any particular scenario turns out badly. What will be, will be.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Just to get things clear - although I don't feel I should need to - I don't read the articles word for word when I'm trying to be even handed and post links for both sides of the argument. I speed scan to try to check its properly written and that's it. I don't READ them.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... housing--2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These guides explain what Universal Credit means for landlords, local authorities and tenants.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Rebecca wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
Maeght wrote: What will happen to your broadband when you move? You've just had it updated I think?
Luckily Virgin has their fibre optic cable laid in the complex where we're going. I'm told they'll seamlessly provide me with the same at the new address ... Why am I not convinced. It's never that easy.
Ha!
I moved ONE street,almost the same postcode,was with virgin and I had to 1)cancel my contract and pay a cancellation fee, and 2)have a new phone number.
I want a new contract actually because we don't want the Television package we have now. Not so keen on paying a cancellation fee though.
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

RobertSnozers wrote:
yahyah wrote:It would help to try and distance the emotion from the actual politics. Not easy though.

Read a policy that Smith has proposed and think 'do I like the sound of that', 'will it work', 'does/would Corbyn agree with that', even 'would voters like that ?'.
If your mind is full of 'he's a xxxx' you won't be thinking of what might be best for the party and the country.
Sorry, I don't agree with that. There isn't too much wrong with Smith's policy platform (not least as much of it is Corbyn's too) but it's not enough to agree with a policy, you have to believe that the originator is remotely serious about it. Smith's background just doesn't give me any faith that he is true to his espoused position. And in any case, voting according to the policy platform of the candidates does not address the structural problems with the party.
yahyah wrote:Is seeing what's happening as some sort of apocalyptic event where the final battle for the soul of the Labour party must be fought for until the death really helpful ?
That's basically what's happening, minus the hyperbole. I'm a little concerned people don't seem to be able or willing to see it.
yahyah wrote:Watch out for siren voices that would not be upset to see Labour laid low, but whisper encouragement to confrontation between the factions in the guise of good advice. There is mischief making going on, be sure of that.
Those siren voices are those who want to make this out to be a straightforward matter of leadership and nothing else
As I said earlier, Smith has put forward a set of policies I could support, but I'm not sure he can.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

CozETn-XgAErQvA.jpg
CozETn-XgAErQvA.jpg (74.35 KiB) Viewed 4127 times
John Millington ‏@johnjournalist 16m16 minutes ago
105 yrs ago since Tom Mann (TU leader and Keir Hardie campaign manager) spoke in Liverpool. Today it is for Corbyn
TR'sGhost
Minister of State

Post by TR'sGhost »

yahyah wrote:Watch out for siren voices that would not be upset to see Labour laid low, but whisper encouragement to confrontation between the factions in the guise of good advice. There is mischief making going on, be sure of that.
That would be chiefly the entrist faction that has put a great deal of effort and money into making sure Labour either has one of their own as leader or made unlectable, would it not.

Progress Limited.
I'm getting tired of calming down....
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

ohsocynical wrote:
CozETn-XgAErQvA.jpg
105 yrs ago since Tom Mann (TU leader and Keir Hardie campaign manager) spoke in Liverpool. Today it is for Corbyn
Transcript of Tom Mann speech

A hundred thousand people have come to the centre of Liverpool this afternoon. The authorities have allowed us to 'police' this hundred thousand ourselves. Why? Because they enjoy surrendering their power? Or because they're afraid of being trampled underfoot. There's a thin line between order and chaos. The police force of Liverpool may tread it this afternoon. A step wrong and the Mersey will rise a foot by nightfall, with largely innocent blood.

We're gathered here today, peacefully, to demonstrate our determination to win this long and terrible battle against the employing classes and the state. What does that mean? Only this. All the transport workers of Liverpool are arm-in-arm against the enemy class.

We have sent a letter to the employers asking for an early settlement and a speedy return to work. If that brings no reply, if they ignore us, The Strike Committee advises a general strike.

In the face of the military and the police drafted into this city - and of the threat to bring gunboats into the Mersey - we can see nothing except a challenge. A challenge to every worker who values his job. A challenge to every claim each worker makes of his employer. A challenge to every right a worker should expect under common decency. Brothers, we rise to this challenge. And we meet it, head on.
Corbyn is not in that class .

Completely different everything !

Sorry.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

frog222 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
CozETn-XgAErQvA.jpg

A hundred thousand people have come to the centre of Liverpool this afternoon. The authorities have allowed us to 'police' this hundred thousand ourselves. Why? Because they enjoy surrendering their power? Or because they're afraid of being trampled underfoot. There's a thin line between order and chaos. The police force of Liverpool may tread it this afternoon. A step wrong and the Mersey will rise a foot by nightfall, with largely innocent blood.

We're gathered here today, peacefully, to demonstrate our determination to win this long and terrible battle against the employing classes and the state. What does that mean? Only this. All the transport workers of Liverpool are arm-in-arm against the enemy class.

We have sent a letter to the employers asking for an early settlement and a speedy return to work. If that brings no reply, if they ignore us, The Strike Committee advises a general strike.

In the face of the military and the police drafted into this city - and of the threat to bring gunboats into the Mersey - we can see nothing except a challenge. A challenge to every worker who values his job. A challenge to every claim each worker makes of his employer. A challenge to every right a worker should expect under common decency. Brothers, we rise to this challenge. And we meet it, head on.

Sorry.
You're correct he isn't in that league. However, he is unprecedented in modern british politics.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Glenn Greenwald ‏@ggreenwald 8h8 hours ago

@DPJHodges You may literally have the worst record of political punditry in the west, which is kind of bad since it's, you know, your job.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Blocked to me.Never even had any "contact" with him in anyway.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Automatic traitor status no doubt but hardly useful shall we say
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Hi all

On political punditry and prediction

I listened to a podcast (Freakonomics I think) where they were looking at the accuracy of predictions from the media in all areas - it came from an NFL player saying that if they were as bad at their job as the so-called experts were at 'predicting' then they would be out of a job pretty quickly

It always comes to mind when I see the Three Smug Twats on Sunday Politics on their soapboxes!
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

HindleA wrote:Automatic traitor status no doubt but hardly useful shall we say

Seriously how do you combat perceived intolerance,further discussion,encourage people that may listen by blocking everybody for unspecific "crimes" ,probably I am guessing by having a Smith thing.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

After the furore over the pupil being stuck in a different room and given a sandwich for lunch, did we see the article where Birbalsingh tried to justify it?

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... -isolation
Birbalsingh said the policy didn’t apply to pupils on free school meals – more than one in five of those attending the school near Wembley Stadium – or for those with money problems.

“We’ve got three families in the whole of the school where this is the case. They are all families who are betraying their children. One we are reporting to social services,” Birbalsingh said.

Those children would leave school illiterate if they were at any other schools. At our school that is not the case. Why? Because we force them to go to reading club after school, we force them to do their homework, and we also, during the time we take them out of family lunch, do extra work with them so that they are catching up.”
Is she really so lacking in self awareness not to see how insulting that is to other schools?

And this...I do wonder what on earth she is on about a lot of the time - right wing guff.
Birbalsingh said criticism of the school’s policies such as the lunch isolation sprang from “middle-class liberal guilt”.

“We as headteachers ought to tell parents when they are not doing their jobs as parents – when they are letting their children down. We have a duty to the children we teach to ensure that they can leave school literate and numerate.

“Some families don’t want this for their own children, and the liberals who complain about schools holding these families to account are the problem.

“It’s white, middle-class liberal guilt. They are not actually interested in educating these children. They just want to make themselves feel better about their own privilege.”
:roll:

I have no issue with schools thinking that they are superb but this lot take it to extreme and think they're so damn superior to everyone else.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-night, everyone.
love,
cJA
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Personally,I would rather make the ocassional spelling mistake than end up thinking like that.Wasn't the letter sent out,full of errors?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

HindleA wrote:Personally,I would rather make the ocassional spelling mistake than end up thinking like that.Wasn't the letter sent out,full of errors?
Oh yes, it was awful.

I said yesterday...

RogerOThornhill ‏@ROTSchools Jul 31
If you loudly and at length proclaim that your school, teachers and pupils are perfect; don't be surprised at a backlash when you slip up.

Toady tried to claim that they were one of the best schools in England but quickly shut up when I asked for more evidence than his "Well, I went and had a look once" justification.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Temulkar wrote:
frog222 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
CozETn-XgAErQvA.jpg

Sorry.
You're correct he isn't in that league. However, he is unprecedented in modern british politics.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So far, speaking at rallies seems to be all he is really good at .

Sad to say .

What are the bookies making on Clive Lewis down the road ?

Rhetorical for now, being nearly midnight for me , but it might be interesting to know.

NN
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Personally as a non educationalist I think "success" should be viewed more broadly than purely in academic terms,as suggested in my previous post,other things are as important.Never "forgave" that Toady guy since his "wheelchair ramps and trogloydites,pc gone mad" article in the Spectator,I am extremely uncomfortable with people with that attitude being anywhere near education.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I know it is "occasional"It was a joke,or was it?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Appeal for help"

"Please find below the planned activities for the Sheffield City Council By-Election, just over the border in Mosborough, for the forthcoming week – all help appreciated!

You thought I was kidding about declaring myself an independent state.Flag,National Anthem in progress.
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

RogerOThornhill wrote:After the furore over the pupil being stuck in a different room and given a sandwich for lunch, did we see the article where Birbalsingh tried to justify it?

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... -isolation
Birbalsingh said the policy didn’t apply to pupils on free school meals – more than one in five of those attending the school near Wembley Stadium – or for those with money problems.

“We’ve got three families in the whole of the school where this is the case. They are all families who are betraying their children. One we are reporting to social services,” Birbalsingh said.

Those children would leave school illiterate if they were at any other schools. At our school that is not the case. Why? Because we force them to go to reading club after school, we force them to do their homework, and we also, during the time we take them out of family lunch, do extra work with them so that they are catching up.”
Is she really so lacking in self awareness not to see how insulting that is to other schools?

And this...I do wonder what on earth she is on about a lot of the time - right wing guff.
Birbalsingh said criticism of the school’s policies such as the lunch isolation sprang from “middle-class liberal guilt”.

“We as headteachers ought to tell parents when they are not doing their jobs as parents – when they are letting their children down. We have a duty to the children we teach to ensure that they can leave school literate and numerate.

“Some families don’t want this for their own children, and the liberals who complain about schools holding these families to account are the problem.

“It’s white, middle-class liberal guilt. They are not actually interested in educating these children. They just want to make themselves feel better about their own privilege.”
:roll:

I have no issue with schools thinking that they are superb but this lot take it to extreme and think they're so damn superior to everyone else.
This idea that the parents are to blame is catching amongst the federation/MAT types we've battled with in the past. Endless sodding meetings and a gradual realisation that once our elder sprog (scoring Level 5/6) had left year 6 the pressure on sprog the younger was ratcheted up so that after a few temporary exclusions (no, no discernably effective SENCO work either -the SENCO was the equally under qualified new "Head Of School", but many layers of "Executive Heads" and other suck bullshit above, and just two "independant" govenors for the whole Federation. Or is that now the MAT? Who the fuck knows?

Oh damnit. I'm tired, it's late. The fucking system is shot to hell and kids that don't fit are blamed and abandoned. Sprog2 was basically kicked out, although we withdrew him just ahead, as a "fuck you" to the recently resigned "Executive Head" of the Our Schools Federation in South Devon. I was going to be coy...

OK, so I've also wiped a gert great diatribe that should have followed, involving all sorts of shenanigans. I'd just suggest that you might like to follow this story. If only as a warning. But then the system is pushing no end of non-entities that love a good meeting over actual teaching to the surface.

*edit* Sorry, bit of a rant, I think I needed some decompression. You should have seen the pre-edit version.

But still, all four "heads" in the Our Schools Federation have moved on or changed roles in one swoop, and also an "Executive Head", a man who's career as the new head of what was then one of Devon's top LA schools has seen an exodus of pupils and has also not recently been tested by OFSTED. In fact, I can't remember an inspection, due I suppose to this Academy bullshit. Harrumph.