Thursday 4th August 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Re: Thursday 4th August 2016

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Fwiw, the continued attempts to smear Chakrabarti are as offensive and disgusting as the ones to smear Corbyn.
Donald Trump: Making America Hate Again
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

JonnyT1234 wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:Shami Chakrabarti to become a Labour peer

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... s_2016.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think this is a farce.

1. How can she conduct an 'independent review' only to then a few weeks later accept a peerage?

2. Corbyn pledged not to create any more new peers in the leadership campaign last year.
Of course Shami Chakrabarti has done absolutely nothing in her lifetime that would merit her being awarded a peerage. We don't want her sort getting that type of thing. She hasn't paid enough to a political party, for starters.
Interesting to me that you think this is ok. Thanks for that.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Out of interest, since yahyah has brought up the 45 victory, do any of the resident historians know anything about Tonypandy and its impact? Was the 'myth' of Churchill's involvement widely known and believed at the time? If it was, I can imagine it might have quite an impact on Churchill's electability among the working classes.

And how much or how little truth to the allegations are there/is it possible to discern?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistic ... cs#history" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest UK egg statistics
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Purely anecdotal but my mum was in her teens & lived in London during the Blitz.
She told me that those films of Churchill visiting bombed areas in London were misleading, and that he wasn't that popular amongst a lot of Londoners.

That has to be viewed through the lens of her feelings about her Italian Fascist father being interned on the Isle of Man. Can imagine she may have not wanted to hear much positive about the PM.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistic ... itain-2016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Internet access in Great Britain: 2016
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

PorFavor wrote:@yahyah

Hello - and thanks. Nothing to report here. Buddleia still unvisited.
PorFavor wrote:@yahyah

Hello - and thanks. Nothing to report here. Buddleia still unvisited.
Just got back from Norfolk,
Was in Winterton-on-sea, yesterday,
happy to report hundreds of butterflies on sand dunes, many doing there best to ensure future supply of butterflies (I presume, not an expert on butterflies).
Also 1 Seal & lots of baby Terns running around.
-did note that tern protection is part of EU funded project though.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Five bees,though not sure if a return visit.Also a couple of cats ,who seem to be observing me.Maybe they are involved in some sort of survey counting people in gardens
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Realise how inflammatory the latest egg production figures might be,but I think never the less we shouldn't ignore them.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Well here we go.
thatchersorphan
Committee Chair

Post by thatchersorphan »

Smith using the debate to say how terrible corbyn is http://www.labour.org.uk/pages/leadership-debates-2016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Debate is live
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Debate - the reception (or whatever it's called)is pretty unreliable.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

PorFavor wrote:Debate - the reception (or whatever it's called)is pretty unreliable.
Well seeing as it's on the YouTube I'm hoping to catch up with it later. Dogwalking time.
thatchersorphan
Committee Chair

Post by thatchersorphan »

#LabourLeadership Still live on http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/live/bbcnews" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

PorFavor wrote:Debate - the reception (or whatever it's called)is pretty unreliable.
It's also on BBC News 24
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Dame Lowell Goddard resigns as head of child sexual abuse inquiry

Home secretary Amber Rudd announces that head of long-running inquiry into child sexual abuse has resigned (Guardian)
I haven't provided a link because there's not much detail (reasons etc) to the story (it's "Breaking News" at the moment).
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@pk1

Thanks.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/live/bbcnews" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Trump campaign woes grow amid questions over Melania's visa (Politics Live, Guardian)

Edited

Brackets
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/ho ... -hospital/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A disabled man was left to survive on the streets of London overnight after he was kicked out of hospital, and then forced by a council to beg for money to fund the 20-mile journey to his temporary housing.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

JonnyT1234 wrote:Out of interest, since yahyah has brought up the 45 victory, do any of the resident historians know anything about Tonypandy and its impact? Was the 'myth' of Churchill's involvement widely known and believed at the time? If it was, I can imagine it might have quite an impact on Churchill's electability among the working classes.

And how much or how little truth to the allegations are there/is it possible to discern?
What myth exactly? He sent the troops into South Wales and bears responsibility for violoence in Tonypandy escalating, and the deaths in Llanelli. He was widely despised on the coalfield by that generation - rightly so.

People view churchill through the prism of 1940, espescially as the generation who fought are pretty much gone now, he was basically the Boris Johnson of his day - funnier at least.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/wa ... ve-8563149" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Thus far, Owen Smith is impressing me.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Ah - the Trident question.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

have received several 'adult' ladybird books as gifts.
so far have the shed, the husband ('how it works), mindfulness and the hipster

I particularly enjoyed:
'the husband hears as much as 30% of what is said to him'
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Bought a rose bush "in memorium".It's gone "mad",with the biggest roses I have seen of wonderful concoction of different colours and dozens in production.I like to think it is preparing for the "anniversary" at the end of the month.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Bloke who opened London restaurant for naked diners says:
"I've met so many fascinating people, so many liberal people. I've even met people from the North who voted for Brexit.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 71546.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:roll:

meanwhile in Japan
'naked restaurant' to ban customers for being overweight, elderly or tattooed
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 78176.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

HindleA wrote:Bought a rose bush "in memorium".It's gone "mad",with the biggest roses I have seen of wonderful concoction of different colours and dozens in production.I like to think it is preparing for the "anniversary" at the end of the month.
Sounds beautiful.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Bloke who opened London restaurant for naked diners says:
"I've met so many fascinating people, so many liberal people. I've even met people from the North who voted for Brexit.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 71546.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I dread to think how they, um, stand out from the rest of the crowd.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Open a restaurant for people with tattoos,overweight or elderly with a special discount for satisfying all.three.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Tend to favour the left.
ChrisDean
Backbencher

Post by ChrisDean »

Are you doing another crossword, HA...:-)..?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

:D Yes,how did you guess?
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Temulkar wrote:
JonnyT1234 wrote:Out of interest, since yahyah has brought up the 45 victory, do any of the resident historians know anything about Tonypandy and its impact? Was the 'myth' of Churchill's involvement widely known and believed at the time? If it was, I can imagine it might have quite an impact on Churchill's electability among the working classes.

What myth exactly? He sent the troops into South Wales and bears responsibility for violoence in Tonypandy escalating, and the deaths in Llanelli. He was widely despised on the coalfield by that generation - rightly so.

People view churchill through the prism of 1940, espescially as the generation who fought are pretty much gone now, he was basically the Boris Johnson of his day - funnier at least.
I put myth in quotes because I have read contradictory histories about the validity of the story. The site that called it a myth was distinctly pro-Churchillian relying heavily on newspaper reports from the period (which seemed to be solely from the Times, so another strike against), so I didn't put too much faith in their use of the term. However, in the past few months I have also read that the degree of his responsibility isn't known other than he was ostensibly in charge of troops (i.e. it isn't clear if he gave an order to send them in or not or whether they did it off their own bat). So, not being terribly familiar with it given that my schooling was very much of the lionising Churchill because of the war type, I'm being hesitant owing to my lack of knowledge.

In this instance, I was more interested, given the contradictions, in whether the working classes would have known of his apparent role in the striking miners' murders and whether or not they believed it to be true, irrespective of what may have been the case.

If so, it helps to understand how Churchill could so easily have been despised by many working people around the country despite everything that happened during the war. I don't see him being forgiven for being involved in the mass murder of your own just because they were looting to stave off forced starvation by their bosses. It helps me understand the apparent paradox between Churchill the all conquering 'war hero' (education, media) versus Churchill the bad election loser (1945).
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

HindleA wrote:Realise how inflammatory the latest egg production figures might be,but I think never the less we shouldn't ignore them.
Were they rotten?
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:have received several 'adult' ladybird books as gifts.

I particularly enjoyed:
That's wrong. The husband hears 100% of what is said to him. He then chooses to ignore 70% of it while expertly and very convincingly giving the impression that he didn't hear it.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

JonnyT1234 wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:have received several 'adult' ladybird books as gifts.

I particularly enjoyed:
That's wrong. The husband hears 100% of what is said to him. He then chooses to ignore 70% of it while expertly and very convincingly giving the impression that he didn't hear it.
my experience is that it's possible to repeat word for word what was said without actually hearing it in any meaningful way
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

JonnyT1234 wrote:
HindleA wrote:Realise how inflammatory the latest egg production figures might be,but I think never the less we shouldn't ignore them.
Were they rotten?
No, cracking. Apparently.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Hobiejoe wrote:
JonnyT1234 wrote:
Were they rotten?
I trust this doesn't presage a spate of eggscruciating yolks.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Deleted due to bad smell.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

PorFavor wrote:
Hobiejoe wrote:
JonnyT1234 wrote: Were they rotten?
I trust this doesn't presage a spate of eggscruciating yolks.

Be careful telling jokes on here...Tem will turn up and there will be a collective FTN groan when his start coming out!
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

I see Wes Streeting is still an arse. On Corbyn's nomination of Chakribati for the Lords:
Wes Streeting, Labour MP for Ilford North, said: “With just one Lords appointment, Corbyn has undermined criticism of Cameron’s list and the remaining credibility of his antisemitism inquiry.”
What? How?

While it's a good think to campaign for the democratisation of the Lords, Labour can't just give up appointing, as it will just allow the Tories to pack it in their favour.

He really is a muppet.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... nefit-cuts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Peter has a lifeline – so why is the government taking it away?
Frances Ryan
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

As I said before, we can't have people like Chakrabarti in the Lords. She's dedicated herself to offensive stuff like making sure the state doesn't invade your privacy and prosecute people without telling them what their alleged crimes are. She's done absolutely nothing of any worth that would make her an automatic shoo-in for ennoblement. So she's had to go cap in hand to that anti-Semitic, terrorist-sympathising, wife-beating, homophobic hate-mongering, commie bastard Corbyn to beg him for a bauble. Otherwise she'd never, ever, ever have got one.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

PorFavor wrote:
Dame Lowell Goddard resigns as head of child sexual abuse inquiry

Home secretary Amber Rudd announces that head of long-running inquiry into child sexual abuse has resigned (Guardian)
I haven't provided a link because there's not much detail (reasons etc) to the story (it's "Breaking News" at the moment).

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... se-inquiry" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Just got this message from the Guardian

"Error 503 Backend is unhealthy"

How did they know?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/st ... ip-contest" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Which CLPs are nominating who in the 2016 Labour leadership contest?

Latest
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Just spotted this (from yesterday) -
Owl moved on after blocking Bracknell road (BBC News website)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-36962559
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Well.
Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 9m9 minutes ago

Silverdale & Parksite (Newcastle under Lyme) result:
LAB: 56.4% (+19.5)
UKIP: 24.6% (-21.2)
CON: 11.3% (-0.4)
IND: 7.6% (+7.6)
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

refitman wrote:I see Wes Streeting is still an arse. On Corbyn's nomination of Chakribati for the Lords:
Wes Streeting, Labour MP for Ilford North, said: “With just one Lords appointment, Corbyn has undermined criticism of Cameron’s list and the remaining credibility of his antisemitism inquiry.”
What? How?

While it's a good think to campaign for the democratisation of the Lords, Labour can't just give up appointing, as it will just allow the Tories to pack it in their favour.

He really is a muppet.
That won.t do.

Look at the other appointments in that list made by Labour.

There are none.

It is an embarrassment