Wednesday 10th.August 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 10th.August 2016

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Ooh, team GB get another Gold!

Joe Clarke in the canoe slalom.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Indeed. I regularly stop speaking to myself.

It's generally quite a treat.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

For everyone in the vicinity.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Freedomofthepress wrote:Anyone here think that some members recent behaviour maybe resembling the behaviour we have deplored from the NEC. Because I do.

Examples:
a) this morning, we are asked not to discuss a quite pertinent topic - the Labour Leadership contest.
b) last week, we were instructed to only write about it on a separate page and even then, discussion around the topic is not encouraged. As a consequence, only about 2 people are regularly contributing to those pages.
c) now there is talk of banning members who discuss the Labour Leadership contest on The Daily Politics page (yes, the section that everybody reads). Is this a dictatorship, you hear me cry.
d) now there is talk of banning a particular member who irritates some members but not all. Again, you hear me cry.

IMO:
a) it was a very bad idea setting up a separate section to discuss a very important issue to a lot of members.
b) I dislike being told that I can't discuss a certain issue.
b) how dare someone suggest that members get banned for daring to mention this very important issue.
c) how dare someone suggest that a member get banned because he happens to irritate said person.

Perhaps, I am oversharing.
My highlight.

That isn't what the additional threads were intended to be. They were started to be data/information repositories pertaining to the leadership contenders. No-one said not to discuss anything, however the Smith/Corbyn discussion here was getting heated and abusive and if moving some of the posts to another thread calmed things down, then that can only be beneficial.

For the past month(?) the conversation keeps coming back to the leadership contest, with the same things being brought up and it would be nice, for a bit, to maybe concentrate on the shit-show that the Tories are making of this country, rather than Labour.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

well said.
as to be expected from a man with such a high quality brick-built shed.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Also, something I wrote a while back that's maybe worth repeating:
With things that have happened over the last couple of weeks/months, with people taking breaks or leaving, can I just remind that communicating via a message board is very different to face to face. Please be aware that the way you read what you are writing may not be the same way other people might read it (and even as I write this, I realise this may come across as bossy, rather than the gentle encouragement I intend it to be).

Also it is worth taking a minute before replying to someone else's post. It has happened to me on occasion, that I will read something someone has written that I disagree with and I almost reply with something snippy. I try to either re-think what they have posted, leave it for a bit before replying or just ignore it if it really isn't that important.

I hope you all appreciate that I am not taking any sides here, I just don't want to see the friendships we have built here damaged for (comparatively) little reason.

(Again, encouraging, not bossy ;) )
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Institute for Fiscal Studies (IFS)
Report (R119)

The EU single market: the value of membership versus access to the UK
Date: 10 August 2016
Authors: Carl Emmerson , Paul Johnson and Ian Mitchell

On 23 June 2016, the UK public voted in favour of leaving the European Union. However, important decisions remain about the model
for the UK’s relationship with Europe outside of the EU, not least whether the UK seeks to remain a ‘member’ of the Single Market or
only seeks (tariff-free) ‘access’.

This report looks at exactly what the Single Market is and distinguishes between ‘membership’ and ‘access’, including the impact on
the financial services sector. It also considers the potential for new trade deals beyond the EU and assesses the economic and public
finance implications of the various options. This should inform the likely trade-offs between the level of access to the Single Market
and other negotiating objectives such as control of immigration and budgetary contributions.

http://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/8411" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Guess the Brexit campaigners put this bit in the small print:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busin ... 81376.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
UK estimated to be a permanent 4% poorer if loses single market.
Luckily the 51.9% voting for "sovereignty", and for Brits of various ethnicities to "go home" think it's a price worth paying. So that's alright.
Yes. The IFS report linked below provides the substance of the article.
http://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/8411" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Judge and defendant exchange insults in court

A judge who was verbally abused by a defendant reciprocated at a court hearing where he was being sentenced for breaching an antisocial behaviour order.

John Hennigan, 50, who had breached the order by using racist language towards a black woman and her two children told Chelmsford crown court judge Patricia Lynch QC that she was “a bit of a cunt”. And Judge Lynch replied: “You are a bit of a cunt yourself.”

When Hennigan screamed back “Go fuck yourself”, the judge replied: “You too.” (Guardian)
How very different from the homelife of our own dear Queen

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ford-court

Edited to add - the judge herself wasn't on trial, although the poor wording (as usual) of the Guardian may have led you to think otherwise.

Edited for mental lapse - "herself" for "himself"
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:
How very different from the homelife of our own dear Queen
Haven't heard that expression for years - my old man used to use it. Along with "What did Horace say Winnie?" when someone comes out with something unintelligible
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

That's a corker. Am using it forthwith.
TR'sGhost
Minister of State

Post by TR'sGhost »

citizenJA wrote:
Lost Soul wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
Cpb80t1XYAAv-xJ.jpg
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/d ... b70dc0f646" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OMG !!!
I struggle with his delivery...

The message too of course.

My head aches.
I get the distinct impression Trump is terrified of himself and wants out of his own spectacle.
Today isn't the first day I've thought this.
Trump knows exactly what e's doing. He's using a dog-whistle with a megaphone technique first developed by Glenn Beck on Fox News.

Make a chain of increasingly extreme, increasingly emotional and increasingly off the wall comments about someone, then add "I don't know if any of this is true <pause for effect> but if it were...."

Stuff like that makes Fox News the most popular news sources in the USA, and appeals to exactly Trump's target audience/voters.
I'm getting tired of calming down....
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Gold!

Men's 3m diving.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Gold!

Men's 3m diving.
♪ Always believe in your soul ♫
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

oneofthoseawfulYanks wrote:This post is only to humbly ask Robert Snozers, ephemerid, and Jonny1234 to post word here if you find another place to call home, or if you're on Twitter (I've found OBM there).
Twitter forms a part of my job so I prefer not to use it in real life because it's too much like a busman's holiday for me and I like to have a little bit of a life away from my work.

I don't expect to go back to the Graun. Now I'm no longer posting there, I'm also reading less there too. BTL got far too tiresome and it doesn't appear to have changed much since I left.

I'm afraid I don't see myself going anywhere else than here either. Despite the little ructions that spark up, I like most of the people who post here. And, as much as Hugo annoys the crap out of me as he does many others and posts a lot that I find outright laughable, he does occasionally say things that are either interesting in their own right or spark discussions between others that are. I've also got better at just ignoring him when I need to.

I've been reading here off and on for a while before finally taking the plunge and it's always felt like the sort of home my parents would take me to when I was very young, owned by a very communal group of friends who'd have their arguments and fallings out that meant they needed their own space every now and then, but ultimately would end up back again and making up, having fun and celebrating what little bits of joy their lives bring them together.

So I'm treating being here like that experience - I'm that guest dropping in on someone else's home, and though I may slip up every now and then and overstep the line with my often strident manner, I should always try to behave like one.

So, if the people who actually live here want a day off from a topic, then who am I to force it upon them? There's other places for that.
Donald Trump: Making America Hate Again
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

JonnyT1234 wrote:
oneofthoseawfulYanks wrote:This post is only to humbly ask Robert Snozers, ephemerid, and Jonny1234 to post word here if you find another place to call home, or if you're on Twitter (I've found OBM there).
Twitter forms a part of my job so I prefer not to use it in real life because it's too much like a busman's holiday for me and I like to have a little bit of a life away from my work.
Are you Jess Phillips?
Last edited by tinyclanger2 on Wed 10 Aug, 2016 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

TR'sGhost wrote:Stuff like that makes Fox News the most popular news entertainment sources in the USA, and appeals to exactly Trump's target audience/voters.
Small - but quite important - correction there for you.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
JonnyT1234 wrote:
Are you Jess Phillips?
I may swear a fair amount but not that much... so, no. I'm also left wing (open goal, slots between the posts).
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

:lurk: Evening all, Cap'n Lurk here.

Some reassuring news from Nate Silver at fivethirtyeight.com about the US elections. He's done pretty in the past - my missus likes his stuff.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Hobiejoe wrote::lurk: Evening all, Cap'n Lurk here.

Some reassuring news from Nate Silver at fivethirtyeight.com about the US elections. He's done pretty in the past - my missus likes his stuff.
Is it that they're both going to lose? That's about the only thing I would find reassuring from that side of the pond.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

New Duke Of Westminster 'Owns Half Of London'

http://www.lbc.co.uk/new-duke-of-westmi ... don-135214" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

..and looks about 15.

Still, state primary school and all that, chaps.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

AngryAsWell wrote:New Duke Of Westminster 'Owns Half Of London'

http://www.lbc.co.uk/new-duke-of-westmi ... don-135214" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

..and looks about 15.

I'm sure he'll do the honourable thing. Of waiting until he dies then passing on the by then £18bn in today's money and all of London he owns to his third child (because the first two were girls).
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

JonnyT1234 wrote:

Is it that they're both going to lose? That's about the only thing I would find reassuring from that side of the pond.
It's a bit like watching Leyton Orient when we scrape a win and I think "we were bad but they were worse"
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
JonnyT1234 wrote:

It's a bit like watching Leyton Orient when we scrape a win and I think "we were bad but they were worse"
Replace LO with 'all of English football' and you've got any victory in our national pastime in a nutshell for us all.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

AngryAsWell wrote:New Duke Of Westminster 'Owns Half Of London'

..and looks about 15.

Just a quick back of an envelope note to say that, assuming I can keep up my current pitiful rate of saving while also living long enough to do it, it'll only take me approximately 20,000,000 years to become a Duke of Westminster.

Better put the kettle on, then.

Edit: I needed another envelope... Oops.
Edit 2: ... And another one. *Cough* Long day. Shit at maths. *Cough*
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Laughter and tears for Laugher and Mears at Rio.

The headline everyone in sports journalism is itching not to use for tomorrow's papers.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/ ... -wimbledon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Police investigate alleged poisoning of British tennis player at Wimbledon
Gabriella Taylor, 18, retired from her quarter-final match in the junior competition and spent several days in intensive care
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I have no idea where it stands now,but I am not stopping mention of Labour as in the candidacy thing this morning.It is of import.I have covered about eight topics today mainly by linking stuff with no comment.Some people have more strident views ,opine more easilly and try and steer things their way in both content and view.sometimes the balance is one way or t'other but it has to be fair and seen to be fair.I am continuing as abnormal.