Saturday, 13th August - Sunday, 14th August 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday, 13th August - Sunday, 14th August 2016

Post by tinyclanger2 »

A mass action of disenchanted individuals wearing stormtroopers outfits while dancing in supermarket windows?
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Might give up the Noilly Prat and become an Olympic athlete. Triathlon I think (though would require learning to stay afloat while swimming)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Genuine thought. I know there are some diehards who won't change their minds in any other circumstances, but I wonder what the rest of those 171 MPs are making of all this?
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

I would like to think that at least some of them are rather annoyed at Watson?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

This latest blog from Joe Halewood is worth a read -
speye.wordpress.com/2016/08/13/no-job-no-house-begins-7-november/

He has included the chart that was posted here the other day; he also estimates how many families will be affected by the HB cut.
Some families with children in which the parent/s claims a certain type of benefit will get no HB at all.

In families with 3 or more children, who will not get any HB, I can only assume that the idea is for the rent to be paid using child benefits/credits, as they are included in the means-testing calculation for the benefit cap. So the kids will pay the rent!

Joe also includes this, from the 2015 Labour Party manifesto -
"We will keep the household benefit cap and ask the Social Security Advisory Committee to examine if it should be lower in some areas".

Whoever wins the leadership contest, they need to look at that. As a matter of urgency.
Come November, there will be more evictions - as a direct result of this policy.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Diary of a Noilly Prat enthusiast turned Olympic Althete Day 1

Caught up on the Olympic events from yesterday.
Thought earnestly about going to the gym.
Made cup of tea.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Great Britain’s most successful Olympian was in the velodrome last night, cheering on his compatriots but when he, Owain Doull, Steven Burke and Ed Clancy appeared on TV Wiggins was the only one not wearing his medal. Asked where it was, he replied (with tongue firmly in cheek it must be said): “I’ve lost it.”
From the moment Wiggins shaved off his excellent sideburns, he has (to my mind) revealed himself as a bit of a knob.
(other views are legitimate, and indeed equally so)
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

This is very funny, in a vicious sort of way.....
sciscomedia.co.uk/mcternan-errand-boy-celebrated-onanist/

The mastermind behind Murphy's failures with Scottish Labour and Julia Gillard's lacklustre campaigns - described in the article as "the Roy Chubby Brown of TV political punditry".
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Diary of a Noilly Prat enthusiast turned Olympic Althete Day 1

Caught up on the Olympic events from yesterday.
Thought earnestly about going to the gym.
Made cup of tea.

If I were you, I'd have a piece of cake with your cuppa.

After all, if you went to the gym and actually did some exercise whilst there, you'd wear yourself out and end up really really hungry.

Then you'd have to buy not any old BLT chicken mayo sandwiches but M&S BLT chicken mayo triple-decker sandwiches on the way home. Plus, because they put the cheesecake there, right next to the sarnies, you'd have to get at least one flavour of that, too.
And, because M&S are thoughtful like that, and put together little heaps of food as "lunchtime meal solutions", they'd have a drink too.
As you'd pass the meal deal thing, you'd be tempted by the dinner/pud/wine/for-two thingie (which we all know is barely enough for one very very tiny clanger) for a tenner, so on top of the lunchtime solution you'd be scoffing billions of calories......and all because you went to the gym.

Stay at home. I would. You'll be a limpic champion in no time.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

M&S
Pants and ready meals. It's visionary.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Diary update:

Am watching the women's marathon.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Diary update:

Am watching the women's marathon.
I thought they were called "Snickers" these days. Or have I misunderstood?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Paula Radcliffe is telling a story.
She is no raconteur.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

While we're on the Olympics, I did enjoy the Chumbawumba reference in this article on the magnificent Mo Farah

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/ ... 0000m-gold" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

he-gets-knocked-down-but-mo-farah-gets-back-up-to-win-10000m-gold
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

And if Mo manages a 5000m gold, can we just skip the CBE, MBE, OBE, knighthood, Lord and make him King Mo?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

It's the Olympics with a political angle (for fear of being seen as going off topic by mistake)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Well seriously, how come Farah hasn't been properly honoured previously?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Am now finally set up to use the open source thingy to read Office documents. Yay !
No more having to pretend I've actually read stuff friends have sent me, now will actually be able to do it.

Can also type my own Labour party resignation letter/s in future too, haven't had a word processing programme on this new laptop and had to rely on my husband to do letters on his desk top ;)
Mind you, it could take me a while to work out how to connect to the printer.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

There was some disquiet in 2012 when Farah, described by Lord Coe as “Britain’s greatest athlete”, was awarded a CBE rather than a knighthood after winning Olympic gold at 10,000m and 5,000m. Since then David Cameron has spoken in favour of Farah becoming “Sir Mo”. Victory in China, after winning the 10,000m on the opening day, would surely secure it.
Farah, who lost out to Sir Bradley Wiggins as BBC Sports Personality in that golden year of 2012, remains hugely popular in Britain.
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-08- ... knighthood" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by tinyclanger2 on Sun 14 Aug, 2016 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Paula Radcliffe has now been talking about water bottles for 25.6 hours non-stop. I believe it's a world record, if not a personal best ...
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

tinyclanger2 wrote:Paula Radcliffe has now been talking about water bottles for 25.6 hours non-stop. I believe it's a world record, if not a personal best ...
I'm sorry I get all gushy and dewy eyed around the athletics. I thought Paula was radiant on the TV last night. She obviously enjoyed Mo's victory hugely.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:Paula Radcliffe has now been talking about water bottles for 25.6 hours non-stop. I believe it's a world record, if not a personal best ...
I'm sorry I get all gushy and dewy eyed around the athletics. I thought Paula was radiant on the TV last night. She obviously enjoyed Mo's victory hugely.
Same here - I get far more worked up about athletics than I ever do about football.

But that comes from supporting Leyton Orient I expect where years of misery are punctuated only rarely by the odd moment of jubilation.
Last edited by RogerOThornhill on Sun 14 Aug, 2016 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Sam here - I get far more worked up about athletics than I ever do about football.

But that comes from supporting Leyton Orient I expect where years of misery are punctuated only rarely by the odd moment of jubilation.
Hello, Sam!
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

RogerOThornhill wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Sam here - I get far more worked up about athletics than I ever do about football.

There's something altogether more wholesome about many of these athletes than the majority of the tacky footballers. Insofar as it's good for my 12 year old boy to have a sporting role model, how pleased am I that he looks up to Mo Farah, and Jess Ennis-Hill?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Viewers of a certain age will recognise it is expected to at least fall once on your way to back to back 5,10k Olympic wins.I cannot see what all the fuss is about,staying at the back and falling over is what I do on a regular basis, I have only a small matter to attend to.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

Lord Jason and Lady Laura? They deserve it.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

HindleA wrote:Viewers of a certain age will recognise it is expected to at least fall once on your way to back to back 5,10k Olympic wins.I cannot see what all the fuss is about,staying at the back and falling over is what I do on a regular basis, I have only a small matter to attend to.
Lasse Viren I reckon, as pointed out by Brendan Foster.

Can anyone remember exactly what Foster said just before Farah fell? It was something like "Things couldn't be going much better for Mo". Splat!
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
HindleA wrote:Viewers of a certain age will recognise it is expected to at least fall once on your way to back to back 5,10k Olympic wins.I cannot see what all the fuss is about,staying at the back and falling over is what I do on a regular basis, I have only a small matter to attend to.

Can anyone remember exactly what Foster said just before Farah fell? It was something like "Things couldn't be going much better for Mo". Splat!

I hate it when the commentators start taking a win for granted. Does anyone remember Harry Carpenter who used to do the boxing commentaries? Every time he said a boxer had it in the bag, they'd get knocked down. I think they used to call it Carpenter's Curse.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I hope HindleA is watching the Marathon and taking tips....
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Well.

BBC Breaking News Verified account
‏@BBCBreaking

Labour members abandon legal challenge against rules which stop new supporters voting in leadership contest

So, can people get back to discussing the issues, opposing the government, and stop trying to make the party look like it's trying to self-destruct?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

ohsocynical wrote:

I hate it when the commentators start taking a win for granted. Does anyone remember Harry Carpenter who used to do the boxing commentaries? Every time he said a boxer had it in the bag, they'd get knocked down. I think they used to call it Carpenter's Curse.
One of my Orient supporting mates has the well-known habit of saying a win is in the bag only for us to get beat.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Well.

‏@BBCBreaking

Labour members abandon legal challenge against rules which stop new supporters voting in leadership contest

So, can people get back to discussing the issues, opposing the government, and stop trying to make the party look like it's trying to self-destruct?
You think so?? :x ;)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:

I've seen a lot of Olympics. Watched in Black and white. Remember Munich when the Israeli athletes were killed.
Would have loved the coverage we get now...
Wonder if I'll be around for Tokyo?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:

‏@BBCBreaking

Just read a Tweet that says the five who brought the lawsuit daren't take the financial risk. Labour of course, thanks to their membership, have limitless funds.
Enough was raised to cover their costs this time, but it's a lot of money to take something to a higher court.
Can't say I blame them.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ohsocynical wrote:I hope HindleA is watching the Marathon and taking tips....
The lady marathon runners take a water sponge and stuff it down the back of their shorts until they need it. :lol:
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Did anyone hear Paula's latest cogitations on water? I had the sound switched off ...
:sleep:
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

ohsocynical wrote: I've seen a lot of Olympics. Watched in Black and white. Remember Munich when the Israeli athletes were killed.
First one I remember is Mexico 68 - distinct memory of there being a round-up show at breakfast time.

Odd that I had this thought just now that my memory of watching it before i went to school must be wrong given the time of year but look...
The 1968 Summer Olympics (Spanish: Juegos Olímpicos de Verano de 1968), officially known as the Games of the XIX Olympiad, were an international multi-sport event held in Mexico City, Mexico, in October 1968.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

ohsocynical wrote:
The lady marathon runners take a water sponge and stuff it down the back of their shorts until they need it. :lol:
Sorry Paula. Didn't realise ...
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

George Galloway ‏@georgegalloway 4h4 hours ago

My promise to stand against David Miliband the war-monger if he is Labour candidate in Batley&Spen has stung...
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

I suspect he's eating a Marathon whilst hayving a fayg.

I know I do.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Did anyone hear Paula's latest cogitations on water? I had the sound switched off ...
:sleep:
I know that Paula Radcliffe is great etc.etc.etc. but she could actually whinge for Britain.

Sometimes I just want to shake her....
thatchersorphan
Committee Chair

Post by thatchersorphan »

'Why I despise Jeremy Corbyn and his Nazi stormtroopers', by Jewish Labour donor MICHAEL FOSTER http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... OSTER.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It's not gone down well....
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

ohsocynical wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:

‏@BBCBreaking

Just read a Tweet that says the five who brought the lawsuit daren't take the financial risk. Labour of course, thanks to their membership, have limitless funds.
Enough was raised to cover their costs this time, but it's a lot of money to take something to a higher court.
Can't say I blame them.

I've seen quite a few links on Twitter to articles in which various lawerly types (one a QC) who think the case would succeed.

The problem is that, as Ohso says, the party has a lot of money - some of it, in part, due to new members just like the disenfanchised 5 - so it could prat about counter-appealing forever if it felt that way inclined.

Some of the bedroom tax cases have been going back and forth for years now - just ask Paul Rutherford and his family.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
ohsocynical wrote: I've seen a lot of Olympics. Watched in Black and white. Remember Munich when the Israeli athletes were killed.
First one I remember is Mexico 68 - distinct memory of there being a round-up show at breakfast time.

Odd that I had this thought just now that my memory of watching it before i went to school must be wrong given the time of year but look...
The 1968 Summer Olympics (Spanish: Juegos Olímpicos de Verano de 1968), officially known as the Games of the XIX Olympiad, were an international multi-sport event held in Mexico City, Mexico, in October 1968.

I remember the theme tune!
I was only 12.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

tinyclanger2 wrote:M&S
Pants and ready meals. It's visionary.
It is.

More meals, bigger pants.

Clever stuff.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Has anyone noticed the lack of spectators on the streets in Brazil? I've been remembering the crowds lining the roads at the London Olympics.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ephemerid wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:

I remember the theme tune!

I was only 12.
I remember the altitude was a problem for a lot of the athletes...
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 90006.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Labour bothers to look up for long enough to notice other stuff is going on.
Government agency tasked with protecting vulnerable workers has had half its funding cut, says Labour
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@TobyLatimer

Thank you. I was grappling with my question - which I'd finally decided was going to be:

Was this it?

Mecks-ee-coh! Doo doo dee dah dah
Doo doo dee dah dah
Mecks-ee-coh!

I don't need to ask now. It was indeed it. Although I'm sure my version would have served the purpose, being so instantly recognisable. . . .
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

And next page.