Monday 12th September 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Monday 12th September 2016

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Re: Monday 12th September 2016

Post by tinybgoat »

The Queen may be 90 years old but it seems she has no intention of relinquishing her position in the driving seat.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09 ... he-balmor/

I presume this article about a royal picnic is a not particularly subtle attempt to point out that the queen isn't getting any younger, but reminded me of the Carry on film, where the British upper class continue with their dinner party, whilst being attacked.

It was the section abour Charles, (which was actually from a seperate occasion last week, but haven't seen mentioned elsewhere)
That was the start of a busy few days for the Prince of Wales, who attended a ceremony marking 500 years of the Royal Mail earlier this week.
Speaking at the ceremony, he said the “well-constructed sentence is under moral threat” as a result of texting and social media.
It's nice to know that whilst his (possibly) future Kingdom is being reduced to Greater Poundland, he's focused on the important things in life, such as protecting the rightful position of the Apostrophe.

Having said that I've just searched for the original quote, and when not out of context, it sounds like an impressive well meant speech, he was praising the Royal Mail & the importance of well written letters, especially to certain groups, and on certain occasions.

Hmm, I must remember not to blindly follow what the papers write.

Edited to add:
Oops, Not that defender of the apostrophe isn't a noble & worthwhile cause.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

tinybgoat wrote:
The Queen may be 90 years old but it seems she has no intention of relinquishing her position in the driving seat.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09 ... he-balmor/

I presume this article about a royal picnic is a not particularly subtle attempt to point out that the queen isn't getting any younger, but reminded me of the Carry on film, where the British upper class continue with their dinner party, whilst being attacked.

It was the section abour Charles, (which was actually from a seperate occasion last week, but haven't seen mentioned elsewhere)
That was the start of a busy few days for the Prince of Wales, who attended a ceremony marking 500 years of the Royal Mail earlier this week.
Speaking at the ceremony, he said the “well-constructed sentence is under moral threat” as a result of texting and social media.
It's nice to know that whilst his (possibly) future Kingdom is being reduced to Greater Poundland, he's focused on the important things in life, such as protecting the rightful position of the Apostrophe.

Having said that I've just searched for the original quote, and when not out of context, it sounds like an impressive well meant speech, he was praising the Royal Mail & the importance of well written letters, especially to certain groups, and on certain occasions.

Hmm, I must remember not to blindly follow what the papers write.

Edited to add:
Oops, Not that defender of the apostrophe isn't a noble & worthwhile cause.

I was just about to cross you off my Christmas card list - but you redeemed yourself just in the nick of time.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

PorFavor wrote: I was just about to cross you off my Christmas card list - but you redeemed yourself just in the nick of time.
Thankyou, I had a moment of panic, when I realised my mistake.
;)
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/frances-ogrady ... ns-1580819
We face a new government and a new prime minister too. Now, as a rule, I'm all in favour of having more women in charge. But it's no secret that this isn't one I would have chosen.

Nevertheless, in three weeks' time she will be stood in a hall like this one. Giving her big speech to an audience that's... well, a little different from this one. And, woman to woman, I'm going to take the liberty of giving some advice about what she should say.

After all, on the steps of Downing Street, the new prime minister admitted that life is much harder for working people than many in Westminster realise.

She promised us social justice. She vowed to govern for the many, not the privileged few. So my advice to the new prime minister is this: prove it. Show us that your top priority is to make sure workers don't pay the price of Brexit.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Quick post to say I won't be posting much (I think... you never know) the next couple of months. Work related not forum-strife related. Sep/Oct is always a stupidly busy period for me. I may even have to miss all the fun of the result. So not all bad news.
Donald Trump: Making America Hate Again
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
JD Wetherspoon to offer staff chance to escape from zero-hours contracts

News comes as internal email shows Sports Direct staff may have to wait months for permanent contracts (Guardian)
Now, why would people want to "escape" from what we keep being told is such a popular way of working?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... -contracts

Edited - typo
Last edited by PorFavor on Mon 12 Sep, 2016 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

P.S. Irish PM tells Britain: No access to EU market without free movement - Reuters
https://apple.news/AkNfo96XkS1q_02RsAAD7Rg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Its not as if the "grocers apostrophe" is a new thing really, is it?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

No it is'nt.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

JonnyT1234 wrote:No it is'nt.
Cou'ldntv'e agreed with you any more.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-morning, everyone.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.tuc.org.uk/about-tuc/congre ... watch-live" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TUC Conference live

https://www.tuc.org.uk/about-tuc/congre ... watch-live" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

JonnyT1234 wrote:Quick post to say I won't be posting much (I think... you never know) the next couple of months. Work related not forum-strife related. Sep/Oct is always a stupidly busy period for me. I may even have to miss all the fun of the result. So not all bad news.
Take everyone opportunity to enjoy yourself, regardless of work, and post as often as you can. I'll miss you.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

tinybgoat wrote:Having said that I've just searched for the original quote, and when not out of context, it sounds like an impressive well meant speech, he was praising the Royal Mail & the importance of well written letters, especially to certain groups, and on certain occasions.
Such as "Black Spider" letters to government ministers?
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Reports that Jim Murphy has been in "talks" with "leading Scottish Tories".

I refrain from comment, save to hope that if the worst really does happen he takes his sidekick McTernan with him?
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Reports that Jim Murphy has been in "talks" with "leading Scottish Tories".

I refrain from comment, save to hope that if the worst really does happen he takes his sidekick McTernan with him?
Have you got a link to that AK?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Not directly, but its on the Herald website apparently.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Parliament is falling down: what goes on inside needs repair too - Channel 4 News
https://apple.news/A460KDxwDNKehHYxy1WuZyw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not the first article I've read with this sentiment. Will it ever happen, though? It seems impossible with FPTP and all the legacy bullshit it engenders.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I think that an at least temporary move of our MPs outside Westminster will become unavoidable in any case, if something is not done soon.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:I think that an at least temporary move of our MPs outside Westminster will become unavoidable in any case, if something is not done soon.
It would be a great opportunity to find a temporary home out of London for a while wouldn't it? A former steelworks perhaps?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Link to coverage(due at about 4) to DCLG Select Committee evidence session on social care,for those interested

http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Event/Inde ... 78f960da3e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.habinteg.org.uk/latest-news/ ... ymond-1052" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Conversation with Paralympian and tenant Ginny Haymond
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Mary Creagh to reference Eagle in 3...2....
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Guardian/ICM poll gives Tories 13-point lead over Labour

It’s a year to the day since Jeremy Corbyn became Labour leader but the party’s polling ratings haven’t been great since he’s been in charge and since Brexit, which triggered a bitter Labour leadership contest and the emergence of new Tory leader/prime minister, they’ve been particularly poor.

The latest Guardian/ICM polling is out today. The good news for Labour is that the Tory lead is down one compared to when ICM last polled for the Guardian two weeks ago. The bad news; the Tories are still 13 points ahead.

Here are the figures.

Conservatives: 41% (no change)

Labour: 28% (up 1)

Ukip: 13% (no change)

Lib Dems: 9% (no change)

Greens: 4% (no change) (Politics Live, Guardian)
Once again, the top doesn't match the bottom.

Andrew Sparrow can't seem to get the hang of this, can he? (Or is it ICM's copy he's, well, copied across?)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... tributions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bank of England attacked over 50% pension contributions
Bank creating private pension deficits while insulating own staff from policies such as QE, claims former pensions minister
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

StephenDolan wrote:Mary Creagh to reference Eagle in 3...2....
Ha! Two minds with but . . .

I hope someone's hanging on to all these bricks. There is, after all, meant to be a shortage.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

PorFavor wrote:

I hope someone's hanging on to all these bricks. There is, after all, meant to be a shortage.
Churlish I know and hoping no one was injured in this incident.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

StephenDolan wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

Churlish I know and hoping no one was injured in this incident.
I got the impression that they found it when they opened up for the day so, hopefully, no injuries.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

New constituency boundary proposals for England (officially due for general release tomorrow) submitted to MPs a few hours ago - and have, inevitably, been leaked.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... lot-papers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Austrian presidential election to be postponed due to faulty glue
Problem with glue used on ballot papers likely to mean a delay to rerun scheduled for 2 October, says interior minister
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... s-revealed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cameron's cheat sheet on prices of everyday goods revealed
List kept then PM up to date on cost of beer, cigarettes and other goods but seems to have let him down on bread prices
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... lot-papers

Austrian presidential election to be postponed due to faulty glue
Problem with glue used on ballot papers likely to mean a delay to rerun scheduled for 2 October, says interior minister

It's so infuriating when all your plans come unstuck . . . .
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

http://www.publicfinance.co.uk/news/201 ... -right-buy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nearly 800 applications have been submitted by tenants who want to take their first steps towards owning their own home since the launch of the pilots, housing and planning minister, Gavin Barwell said. He announced today that the first purchases are now beginning to be made.

“Anyone who works hard and aspires to own their home should have that opportunity to do so,” he added

Wherefore art thou TPA?
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:I think that an at least temporary move of our MPs outside Westminster will become unavoidable in any case, if something is not done soon.
It would be a great opportunity to find a temporary home out of London for a while wouldn't it? A former steelworks perhaps?
Talking of which,
some interesting results, which seem to get buried elsewhere, as the overall Tata Steel figures are a loss, but European companies made a profit.

http://m.scunthorpetelegraph.co.uk/tata ... story.html
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I'm having Internet connection difficulties.
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

It appears that brave Sir Dave is continuing to run away by taking the Chiltern Hundreds - no link, on 'phone, newsflash on BBC website.
Last edited by Hobiejoe on Mon 12 Sep, 2016 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Porcine PM withdraws

David Cameron to quit as Tory MP - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37342152" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I'm up a tree.
Last edited by citizenJA on Mon 12 Sep, 2016 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

StephenDolan wrote:Porcine PM withdraws

David Cameron to quit as Tory MP - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37342152" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's good news. However, I hope he's not the second person engaged to deliver the washing machine and not standing in for the NHS consultant I used to see. Christ - could you imagine?
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

That'll make pinning the medal on you awkward, particularly when naked.

(Catch 22 reference, if not obvious).
Last edited by JonnyT1234 on Mon 12 Sep, 2016 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Which former Tory MP needs parachuting into a safe seat. Cometh the hour, cometh the David Miliband?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The UK Tory party is allowed to fall apart, beat the hell out of each other, collapse and reconvene off-camera.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

HindleA wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... s-revealed

Cameron's cheat sheet on prices of everyday goods revealed
List kept then PM up to date on cost of beer, cigarettes and other goods but seems to have let him down on bread prices
I assume he already knew the price of pork.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

JonnyT1234 wrote:Which former Tory MP needs parachuting into a safe seat. Cometh the hour, cometh the David Miliband?
Come on Nige, it's time for another go.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

New Fiver being introduced this week

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liv ... g-11673613" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

HindleA wrote:New Fiver being introduced this week

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liv ... g-11673613" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I was more interested to see purple aki's 10 year muscle ban has expired.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

"The number of new community-owned renewable energy projects of the sort backed by Jeremy Corbyn this week has
plummeted after a series of government decisions have made many proposals for wind and solar farms no longer viable.

Only 10 new community energy organisations have been registered so far this year, compared to 76 last year, according
to new data from the trade body Co-operatives UK. The fall has been directly attributed to policy reforms in the last two
years as government ministers noticeably cooled on renewable energy before and after the 2015 general election, with
subsidy rates slashed and tax relief ended.

These changes stand in stark contrast to the promises made this summer by Theresa May of a windfall for local residents
from fracking operations, which could amount to thousands of pounds per household."

- Just 10 new community energy schemes registered after Tories cut subsidies

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... -subsidies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
UK aristos won't act to empower people and prefer actively degrading conditions further.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09 ... he-leaves/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

david-camerons-petulant-resignation-as-an-mp-shows-why-he-leaves

..no legacy and that he doesn't care. Ouch from Kirkup :twisted:
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

I thought it would be respectful, and fitting to say some positive things about Dave.
I couldn't think of anything, so searched for some
Nice things, clever people have said about Dave in the press:

From Martin Kettle
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... e-minister

These are still very early days. The coalition has to get through difficult votes on AV and negotiate the most difficult spending round in a generation. The economy may tank. Yet in these first weeks even opponents should concede that Cameron has played a blinder. He is showing himself as potentially the best all-round prime minister of the modern era. Labour's hopefuls should learn from him. No doubt about it, Cameron wins this season's political golden boot.
Bruce Anderson:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... asty.html
It is odd, but undeniable: a lot of people still underrate David Cameron. There are parallels with Margaret Thatcher. In the early phase of her premiership, a surprising number of her political opponents – including those in her own party – were still dismissing her as a suburban housewife with a shrill voice who would not last.
In the Cameron caricature, he is portrayed as an amiable lightweight with an upper-class voice, but no staying power. It may be that his youth, his friendly manner and the Etonian accent are preventing otherwise sensible people from reaching the obvious conclusion: this is a man with steel and leadership.
From Kevin Meagher, last year:
http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/20 ... -ministers
Then we will look back on the underestimated David Cameron and, against all early predictions (and perhaps from behind rows of gritted teeth), realise that he will be counted among Attlee, Thatcher and Blair as the outstanding premiers of the post-war era.
I'm sure there's even better examples.