Saturday 8th & Sunday 9th November 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Re: Saturday 8th & Sunday 9th November 2014

Post by Rebecca »

PorFavor wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:Twitter storm tonight at 6pm if anyone around then
Couple of good Ed photographs are planned to be used -(I'll see if I can find them)
for love of foxes ‏@AgainstHunting · 11s11 seconds ago
To all of U who R sick of tory lies & propaganda against Ed Miliband, please Rt RT RT Tweetstorm tonight Hashtag #webackEd Starts 6pm 2nite

edit to add
Photo 1
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Photo 2
Photo 3 (but don't know about the cat?)

I'm not a "Twitterer". Is there anything I can do (apart from join Twitter which a) I'd prefer not to do and b) the chances of my mastering the art of "Twittering" by the appointed time is next to zero, even if I did join).

Thankyou for voicing my own miserable failings re twitter.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:Grim - is not you, clearly, that I find tedious. It is the fact that we (as a nation, not you and I personally) are complicit in perpetuating the elitist version of the country that is so failing it now. Journalism, education, broadcasting, politics, music, law, diplomacy - all dominated by Oxbridge. We seem to accept and agree that none of the rest of us can do this stuff. I tend to disagree.

I have to either find it tedious or else risk a Scanners (in the 80's sci fi horror sense of the word scanners) moment.
Got that, was just yanking your chain a little. :-)

I suspect that some things, by their nature, will be dominated by academia for valid reasons; history programming, for example, needs people who know their stuff, who have the time to do the digging .... literally, in some cases. Discovery have dabbled with non-academic history presenters with varying degrees of success; Mark Williams' various programmes on the Industrial Revolution worked because of his engineering background and general enthusiasm, the (taxi driver and history guide) Harry Harris' series just made me cringe. and as for Channel 4 bringing a comedian for their Richard III dig programme, don't get me started .....
Academia I get, but, if memory serves me right, there are more than two universities in the UK. When I say Oxbridge and mean, literally, Oxbridge. Are the no historians from any of the other 100 or so universities in the UK who might be able to give us some insight? Someone with, dare I say it, a regional accent?
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Harry Leslie Smith ‏@Harryslaststand · 4m4 minutes ago
There's been talk about #edmiliband's leadership most of it spun by the #Tory media but I think he'll do fine as PM
Attachments
B17SlgRIQAA3_9-.jpg
B17SlgRIQAA3_9-.jpg (38.15 KiB) Viewed 11015 times
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
Academia I get, but, if memory serves me right, there are more than two universities in the UK. When I say Oxbridge and mean, literally, Oxbridge. Are the no historians from any of the other 100 or so universities in the UK who might be able to give us some insight? Someone with, dare I say it, a regional accent?
See my earlier post. And regional accents ...... doesn't Neil Oliver have one of those? ;-)
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:
See my earlier post. And regional accents ...... doesn't Neil Oliver have one of those? ;-)
I recall the Scots regard themselves as a separate country rather than a region. But my point - am not trying to argue with you, but with the recruitment at the BBC and the entire elitist nonsense we put up with - is that of your list of four people all were or had been at either Oxford or Cambridge. The BBC are hideously biased towards Oxbridge, and are positively nepotistic with their pathetic presenter dynasties. It may seem trivial but to me it is a glaring example of how eltism is perpetuated in the UK. There are people (rightly) decrying the BBC on and off on FTN - and my point is that it might be a different organisation with a different recruitment policy. Moreover, as a public body it should bloody well represent the public and not 0.5 percent (or whatever it is that goes to Oxbridge) of it.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Rebecca wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
Couple of good Ed photographs are planned to be used -(I'll see if I can find them)
To all of U who R sick of tory lies & propaganda against Ed Miliband, please Rt RT RT Tweetstorm tonight Hashtag #webackEd Starts 6pm 2nite

edit to add
Photo 1
Photo 2

I'm not a "Twitterer". Is there anything I can do (apart from join Twitter which a) I'd prefer not to do and b) the chances of my mastering the art of "Twittering" by the appointed time is next to zero, even if I did join).

If you are on Facebook you can use the same hashtag (#webackEd) on there, and that produces a clickable link to the twitter page (? I think, might be a FB page). There may well be a "storm" on FB you could "join" :)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AngryAsWell wrote:
Rebecca wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

If you are on Facebook you can use the same hashtag (#webackEd) on there, and that produces a clickable link to the twitter page (? I think, might be a FB page). There may well be a "storm" on FB you could "join" :)
Thank you. But - you've probably guessed it - I don't do Facebook either!
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Fraser Nelson showing that the UK has the biggest deficit in Europe
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-11-08 at 15.06.08.png
Screen Shot 2014-11-08 at 15.06.08.png (97.33 KiB) Viewed 10996 times
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Glad to see Osborne getting some deserved flak in the media today.

Right, I have some preparations to do ahead of celebrating the continuity of the monarchy :lol:
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

PorFavor wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:
Rebecca wrote:
:hug: Well, tweet us here on FTN then :hug:

Just post #webackEd! at 6pm to remind everyone who does twitter :)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:
Rebecca wrote:
I'll do a Tweet for you.

From a supporter who doesn't Tweet @webackEd Does that sound okay?
Last edited by ohsocynical on Sat 08 Nov, 2014 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

AngryAsWell wrote: Just post #webackEd! at 6pm to remind everyone who does twitter :)
Can I remind PF to remind everyone else, since I too, am a social media desert. :shock:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote: Just post #webackEd! at 6pm to remind everyone who does twitter :)
Can I remind PF to remind everyone else, since I too, am a social media desert. :shock:
Do you want me to do one for you too?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

ohsocynical wrote: From a supporter who doesn't Tweet @webackEd Does that sound okay?
Any chance you could tweet for me:

Tweet-free curmudgeon backs Ed to the hilt @webackEd

:) (that's me trying to look friendly and appealing)
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Ohso - must have crossed posts - that would be excellent!
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Glad to see Osborne getting some deserved flak in the media today.

Right, I have some preparations to do ahead of celebrating the continuity of the monarchy :lol:
I've been enjoying Tim Montgomerie's twitter output registering his disgust with Osborne's spin - and a lovely spat going on with @ToryTreasury
Tim Montgomerie @montie · 6h 6 hours ago
@FraserNelson @SamCoatesTimes You really need to stop this @ToryTreasury. Can't you see how this is undermining your credibility?

Tim Montgomerie @montie · 7h 7 hours ago
@ToryTreasury 1. Mrs Thatcher got the rebate; 2. No Finance Minister willing to back your spin; 3. You got a delayed payment, nothing more
Working on the wild side.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/n ... ing-clause" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

funnily enough in the Graun today - ageism and sexism at BBC shock ... - should add plebism to list.
(will shut up now)
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

ohsocynical wrote:
I'll do a Tweet for you.

You need make it #webackEd (not the @ symbol).
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote: From a supporter who doesn't Tweet @webackEd Does that sound okay?
Any chance you could tweet for me:

Tweet-free curmudgeon backs Ed to the hilt @webackEd

:) (that's me trying to look friendly and appealing)
Be glad to.
I still haven't mastered Twitter completely. Can do just enough to get by....Must admit it's very satisfying giving sarcastic replies to the DWP and some Politicians.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

refitman wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
I'll do a Tweet for you.

You need make it #webackEd (not the @ symbol).
Oops. Yes. it's #webackEd. Not concentrating...
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Glad to see Osborne getting some deserved flak in the media today.

Ah yes. The joyful day of deliverance. Makes me nostalgic for one bonfire night in Leeds attended by a Geordie with a packet of tabs in the capped sleeve of his t-shirt.

Am going back a bit. Obv. (as they say these days)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

ohsocynical wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote: If you are on Facebook you can use the same hashtag (#webackEd) on there, and that produces a clickable link to the twitter page (? I think, might be a FB page). There may well be a "storm" on FB you could "join" :)
I'll do a Tweet for you.

You're a friend in need, indeed! Great - thank you. (But I'll also try to do the 6 o'clock alarm call here if I'm not on the 'phone. There's a family crisis ongoing at the moment and I'm on more or less constant call. Still, at least I've got a 'phone-line!! How's that for technical wizardry?)
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Ed Miliband joins 100,000 austerity protesters as they march on London

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/e ... lery&ino=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

AngryAsWell wrote:Ed Miliband joins 100,000 austerity protesters as they march on London

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/e ... lery&ino=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Comprehensive-educated [and Oxford - oops!] politician apparently seems to actually support the beleaguered citizens of his nation. Wow what a loser that guy must be.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

AngryAsWell wrote:Ed Miliband joins 100,000 austerity protesters as they march on London

Wrong link above (goes to photo) here's text bit
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/e ... 19229.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Appeal for help please !

Does anyone else use ethernet ?

I am wireless for my laptop [use it close to the router] but my husband has had to use an Addon ethernet system for his desktop at the back of the house, because the walls of the old cottage into the extension are too thick for wireless. [Why doesn't wireless go through doors or round corners ?].

He had problems with the ethernet connection stopping last year, John Lewis [our internet provider] sent a new router which solved the problem and he has been ok with that for his new Lenovo desktop.

But the ethernet stopped working last week, same problem, the powerline on the box at the desktop room end not lighting up. He ordered a new Zyxel ethernet set and John Lewis sent a new router.

But even with the new router neither the new Zyxel or the old Addon ethernet will work.
He gets a message from Win 8.1 diagnostics test saying 'unable to reset your ethernet IP configuration.'

He's looked online using my laptop to try and find some way forward to no avail.
He's checked settings etc.

Any tips appreciated. He's very patient but getting a little stressed.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

The only problem with the #webackEd is there will be some nasty trolling back.
UKIP, Tory & that minority of SNP supporters, the sweary mouthed CyberNats will all be bad mouthing him.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

yahyah wrote:Appeal for help please !

I am wireless for my laptop [use it close to the router] but my husband has had to use an Addon ethernet system for his desktop at the back of the house, because the walls of the old cottage into the extension are too thick for wireless. [Why doesn't wireless go through doors or round corners ?].

He had problems with the ethernet connection stopping last year, John Lewis [our internet provider] sent a new router which solved the problem and he has been ok with that for his new Lenovo desktop.

But the ethernet stopped working last week, same problem, the powerline on the box at the desktop room end not lighting up. He ordered a new Zyxel ethernet set and John Lewis sent a new router.

But even with the new router neither the new Zyxel or the old Addon ethernet will work.
He gets a message from Win 8.1 diagnostics test saying 'unable to reset your ethernet IP configuration.'

He's looked online using my laptop to try and find some way forward to no avail.

Sorry no idea :( good luck
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

AngryAsWell wrote:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/e ... 19229.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nice photo but in case you missed it, the article is from 2012
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

yahyah wrote:The only problem with the #webackEd is there will be some nasty trolling back.
UKIP, Tory & that minority of SNP supporters, the sweary mouthed CyberNats will all be bad mouthing him.
True, but I'll just ignore or block :sick: um
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

OH said "buy an ethernet card cheaply from ebay/ebuyer, google how to install it into computer or failing that, ask local computer shop if they would fit it for him" (I suspect they might think it's a bit of a cheek if you're not buying the card from them though :lol: )
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Thanks PK - hadn't heard of ethernet cards - but he's just spent £30 on the Zyxel...and our local flipping computer repair shop closed down a few months ago.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

tinyclanger2 wrote:

Comprehensive-educated [and Oxford - oops!] politician apparently seems to actually support the beleaguered citizens of his nation. Wow what a loser that guy must be.
Bloody champagne socialist! :roll:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

pk1 wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:

I checked the date as older items are often posted on Twitter. The date at the page I went to from your link is for today ?
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

Yahyah,

Have you tried power line adaptors? We have a whole array of laptops, PC's, smart phones and tablets here. Some areas of the house pick up good wireless reception, and some lousy. So, I have a router and most gadgets we use wireless. But for the desk tops, we have power line adaptors. Basically you plug them in and they run through the electric power lines. Very stable connections and as I say, you can use them with a router. When I got mine the prices were very reasonable.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/ ... ters-2014/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Rebecca wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

edit to add
Photo 1
Photo 2

I just tried joining Twitter. Easy enough. I read up on hastags too and it seemed to make sense. But what do I tweet? Do I just send it out into the ether? What on earth do people find to say? Any ideas gratefully welcome. I'd like to show some support for Ed but not sure how.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

ohsocynical wrote:
pk1 wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote: Wrong link above (goes to photo) here's text bit
I checked the date as older items are often posted on Twitter. The date at the page I went to from your link is for today ?
That's the date of the paper.

Just above the first para in the article is the date it was published:
Published: 20 October 2012

Labour leader Ed Miliband dubbed the Prime Minister "clueless" today as he joined a huge protest against the Government's austerity measures.
(my bold)
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

pk1 wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:

Ouch! so it is! glad I didn't re tweet it.. (normally check dates... :oops: :oops: )
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Willow904 wrote: I just tried joining Twitter. Easy enough. I read up on hastags too and it seemed to make sense. But what do I tweet? Do I just send it out into the ether? What on earth do people find to say? Any ideas gratefully welcome. I'd like to show some support for Ed but not sure how.
I nicked one from somebody earlier:
Values I want in a PM - honesty, integrity, sincerity, empathy. #webackEd #EM4PM
Basically it's whatever you want to say within the confines of 140 characters. 140 chars limit leads to some very creative language though - you have been warned :lol:
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

ohsocynical wrote:
pk1 wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote: Wrong link above (goes to photo) here's text bit
No its 2012 - I thought I'd seen todays date but ...nop - sorry :oops:
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Willow904 wrote: I just tried joining Twitter. Easy enough. I read up on hastags too and it seemed to make sense. But what do I tweet? Do I just send it out into the ether? What on earth do people find to say? Any ideas gratefully welcome. I'd like to show some support for Ed but not sure how.
Just pick anything that comes to mind. The only people that will see it unprompted are those that are following you. Other people will see it if they search for the #webackEd hash-tag.

If enough people tweet the hash-tag, it will 'trend'.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Willow904 wrote:
Rebecca wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

I just tried joining Twitter. Easy enough. I read up on hastags too and it seemed to make sense. But what do I tweet? Do I just send it out into the ether? What on earth do people find to say? Any ideas gratefully welcome. I'd like to show some support for Ed but not sure how.
If you click into @jon_swindon (from the above links) he will kick off at 6pm with a tweet attaching the photo. Reply to him and use the hashtag #webackEd in the reply (re tweets don't count unless the hashtag is used in reply I think)
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

pk1 wrote:
I nicked one from somebody earlier:
Values I want in a PM - honesty, integrity, sincerity, empathy. #webackEd #EM4PM
Basically it's whatever you want to say within the confines of 140 characters. 140 chars limit leads to some very creative language though - you have been warned :lol:
Thanks, that's quite good. I know it doesn't really matter, it's just adding to the hashtag count that matters, but I didn't want it to be too lame!
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

This is me on twitter if anyone want to follow me (!) lol
https://twitter.com/Rosiecat2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

And this is Martin Rowson's page - far more interesting and funny than me to follow!
https://twitter.com/MartinRowson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AngryAsWell wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
Rebecca wrote:
If you click into @jon_swindon (from the above links) he will kick off at 6pm with a tweet attaching the photo. Reply to him and use the hashtag #webackEd in the reply (re tweets don't count unless the hashtag is used in reply I think)
Ok. I'll give it a go. It's worth the effort to master, I think. There's some people I may be interested in following, like Stephen King. Not like Facebook. I've been on Facebook for some time now but still haven't found any use for it.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

To whom it may concern

ACTION STATIONS - COUNTDOWN TO "6pm TWEETING!"

#webackEd

PS I know I'm not one to talk but I'd advise everyone to watch the spelling etc. You know what they're like. They'll jump on anything. Yes, I know - grandmothers, eggs . . . .
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Nick Robinson ‏@bbcnickrobinson Nov 7
Qs re "great deal" - Why don't other EU countries see it that way? Was rebate on extra £s ever in doubt? Why did Chancellor look nervous?

Andrew Lansley MP ‏@AndrewDLansley Nov 7
@bbcnickrobinson It was never a doubt in my mind. See my Q to the PM in Parilament on 27th Oct http://www.publications.parliament.uk/p ... 2711000477" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …

Nick RobinsonVerified account
‏@bbcnickrobinson
@AndrewDLansley Interesting. Thank you
Indeed - that parliamentary exchange back in October doesn't seem to fit with the current Osborne story.
Working on the wild side.
JustMom
Committee Member

Post by JustMom »

#webackEd
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Goodnight, everyone.