Tuesday 25th October 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Re: Tuesday 25th October 2016

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

Morning folks.
Here's a taste of things to come.
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/hea ... r-12072724" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Durham CCG gives a private London based firm oversight of GP referrals.
North Durham CCG has entered a new contract with private healthcare company About Healthcare which will charge £10 per letter to review GP’s referrals before they are passed on to hospitals.

It is hoped that this will stop unnecessary appointments and save the NHS cash however the BMA has questioned the safety of decisions been taken by staff who haven’t met the patient.
Edited to add quote.
Last edited by 55DegreesNorth on Tue 25 Oct, 2016 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

StephenDolan wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:Papers tend to say what they think their readers want to hear, not what their owners think. They do that because they are in the business of trying to make money.
I'll venture Peter Oborne would disagree.
And readers of the Independent.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:
yahyah wrote:Who's blooming idea was that headstone ?
Yes. I admit to thinking at the time that it was a bit of a "kiss of death" thing.
I loved it but then I would do. I've many polished and raw stones arranged, particularly on my desk, tumbled stones, nothing too uncommon. I hold them while thinking or arrange them while I've got something on my mind. When I go on walks, I'll carry a couple of polished stones with me, I often give them away when it's appropriate, when the opportunity arises. I'll have a small handful of polished stones and ask someone to choose one they'd like to keep. Stones are colourful like flowers are colourful. I love flowers too but their gift fades quicker.

I think I understand why Miliband's stone didn't work. Like my writing here now, we're removed from the moment a stone is given or received. A connection made between people, a genuine solemnity anyone can and does share gets rendered a bit silly, you know? It's hard to describe solemnly simple, beautiful, enduring things with words or generating appreciation for the pledges in stone through television or twitter.

I remember staying at a stylish place in Bath some years ago. I managed okay enough but my style is sweaty hikes, denim jeans. A beautiful couple shared a couple breakfasts in the morning room with a friend and I, nothing more in common than that. Day of departure, I offered the couple each stones and I'll never forget their appreciation for them. Unstudied, genuine thanks, not a lot of words, they weren't necessary.

Meaningful, positive connections with others fundamentally unalike, culturally way different, probably helps neighbours care beyond their own families and prevents wars not getting started. It's a lot of work that doesn't look like work.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

55DegreesNorth wrote:Morning folks.
Here's a taste of things to come.
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/hea ... r-12072724" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Durham CCG gives a private London based firm oversight of GP referrals.
North Durham CCG has entered a new contract with private healthcare company About Healthcare which will charge £10 per letter to review GP’s referrals before they are passed on to hospitals.

It is hoped that this will stop unnecessary appointments and save the NHS cash however the BMA has questioned the safety of decisions been taken by staff who haven’t met the patient.
Edited to add quote.
oh shit
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:Papers tend to say what they think their readers want to hear, not what their owners think. They do that because they are in the business of trying to make money.

Rather proving my point.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

StephenDolan wrote:
Anyone who works for a newspaper would disagree. These days newspapers tend to say whatever will get them the most clicks on their website. It doesn't matter what the readers want to hear, all that matters is getting them to click through to their content. Hence the dismal success of, "You'll never believe what Ed Miliband is eating now!" types of headlines and the dross content to accompany it. Money earned is determined by SEO, CTR, CPM, CPC and all the other CP* acronyms of digital marketers, not the actual content.
Donald Trump: Making America Hate Again
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Zac Goldsmith

#Following the Government's catastrophic Heathrow announcement, I will be meeting my constituents later today before making a statement.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

SpinningHugo wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:
StephenDolan wrote: I'll venture Peter Oborne would disagree.

Rather proving my point.
:lol:

No it doesn't at all - don't you remember the storm over the Indy's decision to back the Tories last year? that was entirely down to the owner!
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I have been proved totally wrong,which proves my point.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

A rather beautiful visualisation from NATS of air traffic over the South East over the course of 24 hours.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:If anyone's interested, this is the link to the health report that Owen Paterson's new thinktank (based in 55 Tufton Street. Fancy!) put out yesterday.

http://www.uk2020.org.uk/events/health/

For all of the "46,613 more die in the UK than the best country elsewhere" headlines, there's a lot of caveats in there.

There's also "a word from our sponsor" - Randox - which is "a highly innovative, UK based, global healthcare diagnostics company,driven by a desire to improve patient care through earlier and more accurate diagnosis."

That's probably why there is this:
CHAPTER 7 – ADOPTION OF INNOVATIVE THERAPIES AND DIAGNOSTICS
And guess what...in Owen Paterson's intro...
I am a consultant to Randox, a diagnostics company, and I am grateful to them for sponsoring this paper.
It's a bit odd since it ends with no real conclusion or recommendations. The researcher from the IEA does like citing his own work though...
Treat this 'UK Health System Fix-it' contemptuously and refuse accepting the sales-pitch. Tell all your friends and family to do the same.
Let's buy some media reminding everyone the UK National Health Service (NHS) works better, costs less and just needs Tory market failure out of healthcare provision.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 79126.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Government quietly backtracks on 'devastating' cuts to inner-city apprenticeships
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

JonnyT1234 wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:
Anyone who works for a newspaper would disagree. These days newspapers tend to say whatever will get them the most clicks on their website. It doesn't matter what the readers want to hear, all that matters is getting them to click through to their content. Hence the dismal success of, "You'll never believe what Ed Miliband is eating now!" types of headlines and the dross content to accompany it. Money earned is determined by SEO, CTR, CPM, CPC and all the other CP* acronyms of digital marketers, not the actual content.
People are not independent actors with lists of wants. People are impressionable, seek companionship (especially with allies during war) and acceptance from others.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

StephenDolan wrote:'our other “genuine concerns” – such as school and hospital funding, benefits and disability payments, the crushing of industries that formed the backbones of our local economies – are ignored or dismissed out of hand. They are cast as luxuries, an irresponsible “tax and spend” approach, or they are turned back on us as evidence of our own fecklessness and lack of ambition. When we say “we need benefits to live because you hollowed out our towns in pursuit of a flawed economic doctrine,” we are castigated for being workshy, and told we only have ourselves to blame. If we alter our complaints to blame foreign people it’s a different story. “I can’t get a council house because they’ve all been sold to private landlords,” gets nothing. “I can’t get a council house because they’ve all gone to bloody Muslims,” gets on the front page of the tabloids'

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ns-bigotry" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brilliant post, StephenDolan, thank you for the link.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

That was quick!
Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 2m2 minutes ago

Now confirmed: Zac Goldsmith MP (Con, Richmond Park) is to resign over the Heathrow decision.
I would imagine that Boris and J.Greening will do everything short of resigning.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Credit to him for keeping his word on this. Now the question is - assuming he stands again - will he do so as a Tory or Independent?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Well, Boris does have a rather large bill to pay so he probably needs the job... nearly £6bn now:

What Does Boris Johnson Owe?
http://whatdoesborisowe.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Credit to him for keeping his word on this. Now the question is - assuming he stands again - will he do so as a Tory or Independent?
If he hadn't completely torpedoed his reputation during the Mayor election, he may have had a chance standing for the Greens (if they'd have him).
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Credit to him for keeping his word on this. Now the question is - assuming he stands again - will he do so as a Tory or Independent?
Independent - on the news before and his CCP are backing him over any Tory candidate
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I see there's some right wing squawking over Sadiq Khan being anti-business opposing the new runway. I 'll just leave this here...

JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

I assume, in that case, they're also going after Mother T too?
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AngryAsWell wrote:
Independent - on the news before and his CCP are backing him over any Tory candidate

Lib Dem win I'd have thought.

On the substance, I think it is the right decision. But then again, I usually am with the PLP and not Corbyn/McDonnell
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

JonnyT1234 wrote:
If he hadn't completely torpedoed his reputation during the Mayor election, he may have had a chance standing for the Greens (if they'd have him).
Would standing for the Greens help him? I'm not au fait with the Green Party's league position in his constituency. If he stood as an Independent he could still be a Conservative (sort of) in all but name - if you set Heathrow to one side.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Anyway, it seems that the approval of Heathrow expansion is a PR excercise in support of "Brexit" to show what a thrusting, bustling future we have outside of the EU. So who knows what will ultimately happen?
Last edited by PorFavor on Tue 25 Oct, 2016 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Just saw this, JA and others discussing housing yesterday may be interested.

A new development of affordable housing low energy homes opens in Pembrokeshire next month.
It's the first solar powered 'village' in Wales.

Only six houses at present, and it's a private development but it's taking tenants from the council's housing list. Tenants will have access to an electric car share and the advantage of low energy bills.
80% of the heating comes from solar power. The man who started it seems frustrated that there's been little interest from social housing organisations to build similar projects.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/b ... n-12070684" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by yahyah on Tue 25 Oct, 2016 1:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Edit above to tidy up.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

The SNP are supporting the expansion ?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

HaveIGotNewsForYou ‏@haveigotnews 55m55 minutes ago

Boris Johnson's previous offer to lay down in front of bulldozers given as principal reason for Heathrow go-ahead.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

PM says decision will boost Britain post-Brexit (Politics Live, Guardian)
Ha!
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

From AS.
The foreign secretary claimed the project would cause “inevitable degradation” to the quality of life of people under the potential new flight paths.
He said:

A third runway is undeliverable. The day when the bulldozers appear is a long way off, if indeed they ever materialise.

(Johnson had previously promised to lay down in front of bulldozers to prevent a third runway being built.)

Johnson said the new runway would create a “hell” of aircraft noise above London, moments after pausing the interview to wait for a passing jet, and suggested that his plan for a new airport in the Thames Estuary was a “better solution”.

He said:

No other great city would do this to its inhabitants. New York is going to be the city of beautiful skyscrapers, Paris the city of lights and London in the future, if we go ahead with this project, will be known as the city of planes.
So, the current Mayor being against it is described as being anti-business while the previous Mayor isn't described in the same way?

Interesting...
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Hard to comprehend just how much money is going to academy trusts

Academy trusts wanting cash to grow ‘rejected’ by DfE

http://schoolsweek.co.uk/academy-trusts ... ign=buffer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Australia has just dealt a massive blow to the UK government's Brexit plans

Australia has ruled out negotiating free-trade deals with Theresa May's government until Britain has formally completed its departure from the European Union.
Steven Ciobo, Australia's trade minister, said on Tuesday that he had received advice telling him entering formal talks with Britain before Brexit is complete would be illegal, The Times reports.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/brexit-li ... ls-2016-10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Senior members of the Australian administration hope any post-Brexit deal with Britain will include permission for Australian financial service companies to expand to the UK, according to The Times, plus privileged access to labour markets for Australian workers, which, ironically, would mean more immigration to the UK."
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

RogerOThornhill wrote:From AS.
The foreign secretary claimed the project would cause “inevitable degradation” to the quality of life of people under the potential new flight paths.
He said:

A third runway is undeliverable. The day when the bulldozers appear is a long way off, if indeed they ever materialise.

(Johnson had previously promised to lay down in front of bulldozers to prevent a third runway being built.)

Johnson said the new runway would create a “hell” of aircraft noise above London, moments after pausing the interview to wait for a passing jet, and suggested that his plan for a new airport in the Thames Estuary was a “better solution”.

He said:

No other great city would do this to its inhabitants. New York is going to be the city of beautiful skyscrapers, Paris the city of lights and London in the future, if we go ahead with this project, will be known as the city of planes.
So, the current Mayor being against it is described as being anti-business while the previous Mayor isn't described in the same way?

Interesting...
I think we can come up with a few reasons why ;)

On a "what if" train of thought, what would the Heathrow chain of events been if Goldsmith was Mayor?
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

yahyah wrote:Just saw this, JA and others discussing housing yesterday may be interested.

A new development of affordable housing low energy homes opens in Pembrokeshire next month.
It's the first solar powered 'village' in Wales.

Only six houses at present, and it's a private development but it's taking tenants from the council's housing list. Tenants will have access to an electric car share and the advantage of low energy bills.
80% of the heating comes from solar power. The man who started it seems frustrated that there's been little interest from social housing organisations to build similar projects.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/b ... n-12070684" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for posting that yahyah. It was an interesting read. As you may recall, I'm seriously considering relocating to Wales. All these positive vibes make it seem all the more a good move. Only three things holding me back really.

1) Moving so far from my children.
2) Leaving a community I've lived in for 25 years and obviously have many friends here.
3) The rain in Wales.
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Pound going down, down, down once again. What a disaster the Tories are when they play at being grownups.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... ion-awards" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Angry student judges refuse to pick winner of accommodation awards
A panel of student judges has criticised university accommodation providers for pricing out poorer students
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Toby Young's review of Loach film maintains a level of lies/inaccuracy I wouldn't think possible.Arseholes like him can't believe depictions of community spirited,cultural diverse benefit claimants because they are are alien concepts to him.Radio 4 listener,heaven forfend.

One response

http://www.ekklesia.co.uk/node/23518" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by HindleA on Tue 25 Oct, 2016 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Filibustering leaves MPs ‘ashamed’ and ‘bleeding credibility’, procedures committee chair warns - The Independent
https://apple.news/AJdzXkn1SQFuNQen4TgMs6g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bills blocked by the strategy in recent months include a plan to abolish NHS hospital car parking charges for carers, a bill to give first aid training to children in schools, and a plan to require rented homes to be fit for human habitation. Many of these bills had cross-party support.
Such charmers.

Out of interest, how often have the current opposition MP's deployed this technique in the past?
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

PorFavor wrote:
JonnyT1234 wrote:
Would standing for the Greens help him? I'm not au fait with the Green Party's league position in his constituency. If he stood as an Independent he could still be a Conservative (sort of) in all but name - if you set Heathrow to one side.
More an observation on his supposed green credentials and where it could have left him had he not completely ballsed up his Mayoral campaign. Whereas it may have been an option before (and the Greens may have gone for it - potential 2nd MP so more than UKIP, 'soft right' persona, etc.) it should definitely not be one now.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Last edited by pk1 on Tue 25 Oct, 2016 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Some think Theresa May should call a general election. Here’s why she can’t - the guardian
https://apple.news/AEHQuVh3KT-qDXfmYOY_8Gw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fwiw.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

StephenDolan wrote:Pound going down, down, down once again. What a disaster the Tories are when they play at being grownups.
Not just down but it hit its lowest level ($1.0291) in the past 10 years if not longer.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote: And readers of the Independent.

Rather proving my point.

No it doesn't at all - don't you remember the storm over the Indy's decision to back the Tories last year? that was entirely down to the owner!
And do you not recall what has happened to the Independent newspaper?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Was half listening recently,it was in the shower(o.k.am addicted to radio)to an economist,I didn't get the name ,but in essence thought that £1 =$1 or even less would be the new "norm" for some time.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

CEO of Deutsche Bank arrested.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

No fewer than a dozen local council byelections last week, and quite eventful overall:

Weymouth and Portland DC - Tory hold with over 60% of the vote, almost unchanged since May this year. This has always been a Tory ward since it elected two councillors for them in the 2004 all-out elections, it was fairly marginal then but has (unlike other areas locally) become much safer for them in recent years (the interesting exception being 2014, when the Greens got quite close in a straight fight) The LibDems last stood here in a previous 2004 by-election, but this time came an albeit distant second - at the expense of Labour who dropped some 10 points since May. Greens last with just under 10% - a far cry from two years ago.

Medway - Tory gain (on a relatively modest 38%, this was a classic 3 way contest) from UKIP, confirming the latters decline not just nationally but locally; this is part of the Rochester/Strood seat that returned only one of two elected UKIP MPs at the 2014 by-election, before the Tories won it back last year. Though on that same day, UKIP managed to beat the Tories in this division by 2 councillors to 1 - prior to that it had split 2Tory/1Lab in both 2011 and 2003 (2007 is the only year a full slate got elected here, 3 Tories) A double figure drop for UKIP meant they dropped not just behind the Tories but Labour (both increased modestly since last year) Other candidates very much also rans - LibDems 4th, Greens 5th and finally the English Democrats (just 1%)

Bracknell Forest - Tory hold, beating Labour in a straight fight with nearly 70% in what has always been a safe ward for them ever since it elected two Tories back in 2003; in fact that was the only election here that was vaguely competitive as a LibDem ran them reasonably close. Though it is mildly interesting that their absence here this time seems to have benefited Labour rather more than the Tories; the former got a double figure increase to make it a modest swing since last year and a slightly bigger one since 2011.

St Albans DC - LibDem hold in a ward that has voted for them every election this millennium; Tories were reasonably close in the coalition years, but the LibDems won easily earlier this year with just over half the vote and advanced on that by another six points now (the swing since GE day last year was over 13 per cent) Tories upped their own vote slightly since May, but are a distant second now. Labour and Greens both down since then to the LibDems benefit, and whilst this is not UKIP territory (they polled poorly here even in their annus mirabilis of 2014, their only previous showing) just 1% and 16 votes in total has to be a bit of an embarrassment.

Braintree DC - two contests here; the first was a straightforward Tory hold of what has always been a very safe ward which voted for them by over 60% in the first post-boundary change election last year, and they upped that to almost 65% now despite increased competition. UKIP came a distant second then and were even more distant now as they dropped by 4 per cent. Labour dropped by 10 points, partly no doubt due to the entrance of both LibDems and Greens (with 4% in last place) The other vacancy, however, was rather different - Labour took it from the Tories with a 7% swing overall in a tight three way contest (this was a Labour leaning area before last year, but the aforementioned changes made it rather less favourable for them) with the Greens, who won an Essex CC seat here in 2013 and managed a modest increase to a quarter of the vote now despite the lively Lab-Tory battle. LibDems last with 3%, more than halved since GE day.

King's Lynn and West Norfolk DC - Independent gain from Tory, something of a surprise given that Tories beat Labour here in straight fights by about 70/30 both last year and in 2011. Though maybe not such a surprise if you go back a bit - Independents won both seats in 2003 before losing one to the Tories in a previous 2004 by-election and the other in 2007, after which they absented the field until now. The winner's score of 38% almost matched the Tory decline since GE day - after that the other candidates all bunched in the 7-8% range; LibDems and UKIP tied for 3rd-4th, just behind them another Indy and just behind them Labour (themselves a full 24 points down)

Kettering DC - Tory gain from Labour, giving them all three seats in this ward for the first time since the 2007 elections as the outgoing Labour member managed to win a seat for them in both 2011 and 2015 (which was a countermanded election, held in June 2015 after the death of the putative UKIP candidate during the campaign) In both 2005 and 2009 the then identical Northants CC division also elected a Tory, which maybe shows they have a natural edge here - but Labour will still be dismayed that a pro-Tory swing since last year of around 5% gave them a comfortable victory with approaching half the vote. UKIP down by 11 points (continuing their decline since they came close in the redrawn CC division, still covering mostly this area, in 2013) whilst Greens were little changed on 5%, just ahead of the LibDems.

Neath/Port Talbot - Plaid Cymru gain from Labour with a swing of over 14%, until now this ward has been a straight Labour/Plaid fight ever since this council was set up in 1995 - even during Labour's annus mirabilis then PC were close, and that was a sign of things to come as Plaid won in 1999 and (decisively) in 2004. However, Labour then (somewhat against the trend) won it back in 2008 and slightly increased their grip in 2012. For the first time other candidates stood here, and Labour came off much worse - PC modestly increased to nearly half the vote but Labour cratered a full 25 points. Independents came third, followed by UKIP with 8% and last and in this case very much least the hapless Tory candidate with a massive *4* (FOUR) votes overall - Theresa May's popular appeal has evidently yet to reach these parts :)

Conwy - Independent gain from Labour, "sealing the deal" after they narrowly fell short of achieving that feat in a previous 2014 by-election here (the winner then was kicked off for non-attendance, never a promising start to an electoral defence) On that occasion, Labour had won with just a quarter of the vote - their share barely changed since then but they dropped from first to third as the Independents (aided perhaps by the absence of a UKIP candidate this time after they had come a good third two years ago) marshalled their resources more effectively. Though the Independent runner up then also had to be content with that spot now despite upping their personal vote by 5 points, as the winner finished narrowly ahead of them on a still fairly modest 31%. Tories (who won this seat from Labour in 2008 before losing it four years later) last with 16%, up on 2014 but down on 2012.

East Riding of Yorkshire - LibDem gain from Tory, with 40% of the vote and a swing of some 16% since last year. This ward has a varied electoral history, electing 2Indy/1LibDems in 2003 before splitting three ways in 2007 when the Tories took one of the Independent seats. The Tories then took all three seats in 2011 (only just beating the Indie) before consolidating their grip on GE day, though still with a rather low share overall. Then the LibDems came 4th (and only just) but an increase of fully 28 points catapulted them into pole position. Labour thus moved down to third overall, though they actually held their own vote steady - fourth place was taken by the localist Beverley Party who dropped slightly; they seem to have taken some of the previous Independent support as a generic Indy took less than 4% this time (clearly down on GE day) Though that was still enough to beat last placed UKIP, who came 3rd last year but dropped 12 points to 6th and last now.

Middlesbrough - Labour hold with over 70% of the vote, a 22 point increase from the almost precisely half they managed last year (which was the first election here since boundary changes) Whilst this area and its predecessor wards have always voted Labour, Independents have sat times polled decently here, and indeed managed a respectable 30% or so on GE day. That was roughly halved now, however, and the only other party to stand a year ago - UKIP - did not bother this time. Tories and LibDems did, but to modest impact, getting 7% and 5% respectively.

It finally quietens down a bit this week, with three contests.
Last edited by AnatolyKasparov on Tue 25 Oct, 2016 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Thanks as ever for the excellent overview AK.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

The short film in this #Brexit tweet about Sterling is worth watching...

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

JonnyT1234 wrote:Some think Theresa May should call a general election. Here’s why she can’t - the guardian
https://apple.news/AEHQuVh3KT-qDXfmYOY_8Gw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fwiw.
I had a problem with part of that logic.

Boundary changes come in 2018. If there's a GE next year then the first GE under the new boundaries would be 2022,otherwise it'd be 2020. Why would the Conservative MPs on a personal level prefer 2020 to 2022?
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Why the Lib Dems winning Richmond Park is bad news for Labour.

Give it time, give it time.