Monday 10th November 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Re: Monday 10th November 2014

Post by StephenDolan »

LadyCentauria wrote:Kate Hoey asking Chancellor to agree with her that: we pay far too much to the European Union and the only way to deal with it is to get back control of our country, get back control of our borders, and get an in/out referendum on our membership as soon as possible...

Not verbatim but as close as I could type that fast ;)
Thanks LC, appreciate it.

As for Kate Hoey, well.....
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Ashcroft National Poll, 7-9 November: CON 30%, LAB 29%, LDEM 10%, UKIP 16%, GRN 7%.

According to Calculus on a national swing, the results would be:

Lab 311
Con 279
LD 30

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/cgi- ... rparties=Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

so even throughout the worst w/end as far as headlines for Ed go, the Cons STILL can't get a majority - grumbling Lab MP's should take note & stfu !
Last edited by pk1 on Mon 10 Nov, 2014 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Great piece by David Blanchflower - one of those to bookmark for useful facts and quotes :twisted:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busin ... 50240.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

economic-sentiment-has-turned--bad-news-for-george-osborne

I love the "bad news" reference ;-)
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

pk1 wrote:Ashcroft National Poll, 7-9 November: CON 30%, LAB 29%, LDEM 10%, UKIP 16%, GRN 7%.

According to Calculus on a national swing, the results would be:

Lab 311
Con 279
LD 30

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/cgi- ... rparties=Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thankfully the polling in the marginals is better.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell

I've been posting that letter since late last night, both here (last night) and on AS blog (twice today) trying to find out what is going on and if there will or will not be a vote. The reason I posted the above was to find out if any one on here had seen Rees-Mogg actually say there would be not be a vote.
I'm unable to get the Parliament live to work on my computer (Silverlight) for some reason & BBC Parliament Live would make me pay for a license if I dared watch the MPs live & I won't pay to watch the MPs.

So, I'm unable to tell you at the point what Rees-Mogg did or didn't say.

Any advice would be grand. It's getting dark outside.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

#webackEd is trending again (did it stop??) and there are some great Ed photo's on it, so here's a link for none twitter using Ed lovers to feast on :)
(its an public link so you should be able to see them - I think)

https://twitter.com/hashtag/webackEd?src=hash" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

citizenJA wrote:
AngryAsWell

I've been posting that letter since late last night, both here (last night) and on AS blog (twice today) trying to find out what is going on and if there will or will not be a vote. The reason I posted the above was to find out if any one on here had seen Rees-Mogg actually say there would be not be a vote.
I'm unable to get the Parliament live to work on my computer (Silverlight) for some reason & BBC Parliament Live would make me pay for a license if I dared watch the MPs live & I won't pay to watch the MPs.

So, I'm unable to tell you at the point what Rees-Mogg did or didn't say.

Any advice would be grand. It's getting dark outside.
It was on the Daily Politics I think, which I missed today, but will catch up on later.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:A sociologists view of #webackEd

http://averypublicsociologist.blogspot. ... means.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well worth reading. Thanks.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Okay - I've got the Hansard read now for today - I'll find out the Rees-Mogg information.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

LadyCentauria wrote:Kate Hoey asking Chancellor to agree with her that: we pay far too much to the European Union and the only way to deal with it is to get back control of our country, get back control of our borders, and get an in/out referendum on our membership as soon as possible...

What on earth does that mean? We get a better deal if we threaten to leave?

What was he evidence we pay far too much?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

citizenJA wrote:Okay - I've got the Hansard read now for today - I'll find out the Rees-Mogg information.
It was on Daily Politics interview (on TV) not in parliament, so wont be in Hansard.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh · 2m2 minutes ago
MPs shd read WaughRoomMemo. Bercow: public want to know if today's vote is on Euro Arrest Warrant: "No it isnt and that's the end of it"
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Bercow criticises the government for not allowing a vote on the European arrest warrant.

(AS Blog)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

AndrewSparrow ‏@AndrewSparrow 1m1 minute ago
Osborne v Balls on the EU budget surcharge - http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blo ... ca96f7ce10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … - Osborne's Houdini act

For a change. Yes? No?
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Bercow accuses government of breaking its promise on EAW vote
Bercow is not getting even more critical.
Most of us think that a commitment made is a commitment that should be honoured.
It would be best to proceed by applying “sensible standards”, he says. The government is trying to slip thing through.
Bercow accuses government of breaking its promise on the European arrest warrant vote.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard a speaker criticise a government in these terms from the chair. This is remarkable.
AS again
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

pk1 wrote:
Rebecca wrote:Afternoon.
At the top of AS blog as we speak is an excellent photo of Ed from the CBI speech,taken by the CBI and therefore not awful.In fact,speaking in a truly partisan way,Ed looks pretty hot.
Anybody able to post it here?Is that possible?
Here you go:

btw, don't make me do that again - I'm on a boycott of the Groan !
Thankyou!!!
Obviously,nobody could vote for a party with such a weird looking leader.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

So "liberal journalist" Raphael Baehr thinks Osborne's playing a blinder.

With answers like this, I presume.
Labour’s Andy Love asks Osborne to name another EU foreign minister who agreed with him over the rebate (ie, about the rebate applying).

Osborne says neither Love, who is on the Treasury committee, nor any other Labour MP said the rebate would apply. Labour are trying to be wise after the event.
Why would Love be expected to have explicitly mentioned a rebate applying in the future?

And what's that got to do with the other EU ministers? You'd expect them to notice Britain having suddenly got £850m of free money.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I'm sure that Ed Miliband will come through this stronger and will win over, and be respected by, more people. He's handled things with dignity and hasn't allowed himself to be distracted. The bastards have probably done him a favour.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

AngryAsWell wrote:Bercow accuses government of breaking its promise on EAW vote
Bercow is not getting even more critical.
Most of us think that a commitment made is a commitment that should be honoured.
It would be best to proceed by applying “sensible standards”, he says. The government is trying to slip thing through.
Bercow accuses government of breaking its promise on the European arrest warrant vote.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard a speaker criticise a government in these terms from the chair. This is remarkable.
AS again
An utter shambles and all because they don't want people to see a sizeable backbench revolt.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:So "liberal journalist" Raphael Baehr thinks Osborne's playing a blinder.

Labour’s Andy Love asks Osborne to name another EU foreign minister who agreed with him over the rebate (ie, about the rebate applying).

Osborne says neither Love, who is on the Treasury committee, nor any other Labour MP said the rebate would apply. Labour are trying to be wise after the event.
Why would Love be expected to have explicitly mentioned a rebate applying in the future?

And what's that got to do with the other EU ministers? You'd expect them to notice Britain having suddenly got £850m of free money.
Like I said earlier, if we won, someone lost. Just ask him to say who lost.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

I'll let the honourable gentleman into a secret. I thought we'd be debating the EAW as well. But he should bear in mind I am just the speaker.
Bercow has a way with words, give him that.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

I know, technically at least, Bercow is a Tory and therefore officially the Devil's Spawn, but there are days where you just have to admire him. Mr Bercow ....... :rock:
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Prime Minister David Cameron, who promised a vote before the Rochester and Strood by-election on 20 November, is facing a rebellion by Conservative MPs unhappy with the European Arrest Warrant, although Labour and Lib Dem support means the motion is likely to be passed by the Commons.

Shadow home secretary Yvette Cooper, who supports the continued use of the Warrant, told BBC News: "The government has not got agreement within the Conservative Party on supporting this vital national security measure."

She accused David Cameron and Mrs May of "ducking and diving" in order to avoid a specific vote.

Jacob Rees Mogg: "It's important to note the vote tonight will not be on the European Arrest Warrant at all."

In a letter to Ms Cooper, Mrs May wrote: "I shall be making very clear in the House on Monday - and am happy to do so now - that Monday's vote is a vote on the entire package of 35 measures."

But the chairmen of three influential Parliamentary committees accused the government of a "cavalier approach" to the forthcoming debate.

The European scrutiny, justice, and home affairs committees criticised the government's decision to present the 35 measures as one package, saying: "The form of debate and vote proposed by the government on Monday falls far short of the Committees' expectations."

The Home Office said 11 of the measures - including the EAW - would be specifically voted on, and that if they were voted down, none of the 35 would be adopted by the UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29983651" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What the hell kind of mess is that, then? Rees-Mogg contradicting T May & the last sentences make little sense.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

frightful_oik wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:So "liberal journalist" Raphael Baehr thinks Osborne's playing a blinder.

Like I said earlier, if we won, someone lost. Just ask him to say who lost.
That's right. Osborne's brilliant argument was apparently Balls left the rebate out of a newspaper article.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Tut tut, naughty Kippers.

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2014/11/n ... -reckless/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sending that link to my father! Thanks :)
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

http://labourlist.org/2014/11/labour-pp ... eadership/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Over 100 Labour PPCs have signed a letter today calling on “an anonymous few” to stop orchestrating a “campaign of briefing to destabilise Ed and his leadership”. The letter (published in full below) has been signed by candidates from across the political spectrum of the party, and includes many candidates from the party’s key marginal and target seats.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:
citizenJA wrote:Okay - I've got the Hansard read now for today - I'll find out the Rees-Mogg information.
It was on Daily Politics interview (on TV) not in parliament, so wont be in Hansard.
Thanks, I understand better now.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

100 PPCs sign a ''put up or shut up'' letter in support of Miliband. If only a few CLPs had the balls to deselect the useful idiots.

labour-ppcs-write-letter-criticising-campaign-of-briefing-to-destabilise-ed-and-his-leadership
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:I know, technically at least, Bercow is a Tory and therefore officially the Devil's Spawn, but there are days where you just have to admire him. Mr Bercow ....... :rock:
He is excellent as Speaker; sure he can be sanctimonious but his job is to ensure backbenchers get to hold the Executive to account.

Some people though loathe him because he does:
Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges 14m14 minutes ago London, England
Yvette Cooper tearing apart government on EAW vote. Almost as ferociously as new Labour shadow home affairs secretary John Bercow...
My god, hate is a very strong word but it comes mighty bloody close to what I feel for Hodges.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs

That's right. Osborne's brilliant argument was apparently Balls left the rebate out of a newspaper article.
Oh, you partisan, tribal person you - no one breathes as well as Chancellor Jeffrey, or snorts or... something...
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

pk1 wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:I know, technically at least, Bercow is a Tory and therefore officially the Devil's Spawn, but there are days where you just have to admire him. Mr Bercow ....... :rock:
He is excellent as Speaker; sure he can be sanctimonious but his job is to ensure backbenchers get to hold the Executive to account.

Some people though loathe him because he does:
Yvette Cooper tearing apart government on EAW vote. Almost as ferociously as new Labour shadow home affairs secretary John Bercow...
My god, hate is a very strong word but it comes mighty bloody close to what I feel for Hodges.
I wouldn't piss on the twat if he was on fire. Loathsome cretin.
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

Like him or not.

[youtube]0dAFbpk9_GM[/youtube]
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Re the above letter on LabourList - there is also a "put up or shut up" petition there, can all Labour members here who have not yet signed it please do so :)

The "plotters" are on the brink of scurrying off with their tails between their legs - they have virtually no backing outside the MSM.

And #webackEd is still trending after 48 hours.......
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I think I have given a fairly clear indication that this has been a sorry saga. And the House should not be put in this position. Most of us think that a commitment made is a commitment that should be honoured, and we should try to operate according to sensible standards, rather than try to slip things through through some sort of artifice. It may be the sort of thing that some people think is very clever, but people outside of the House expect straightforward dealing. And they are frankly contemptuous, and I use the word advisably, contemptuous of what is not straight dealing. Let’s try to learn from this experience and do better
Well done, Bercow.

Gove will have been involved in this.

Isn't he clever?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Re the above letter on LabourList - there is also a "put up or shut up" petition there, can all Labour members here who have not yet signed it please do so :)

The "plotters" are on the brink of scurrying off with their tails between their legs - they have virtually no backing outside the MSM.

Done yesterday!
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Boris Watch ‏@BorisWatch 50s50 seconds ago
BREAKING NEWS: Ofsted have inspected Michael Gove's Whip's Office and put it into special measures. Harris Academies take over next Monday.

:lol: :lol:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

When I worked in community mental health services we had the most adept manager I've ever encountered - talk about people skills. If someone was really kicking off, or it was threatening to get that way, he was somehow able to come waltzing in and encircle them in a very affable arm before they even clocked what was happening and walk with them - chatting all the while - straight away from other people and towards somewhere that they could either engage in some entirely banal activity and / or have a calming down chat. Quite often they would be out the front door and on the way to the local chippy or cafe with him before they even realised they were going anywhere.

The point of this is .... I rather wish there was someone as adept at that who could do similar with Kate Hoey - and fast.
Working on the wild side.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Get some help, Dan. Really. Does he understand how grossly unprofessional that is? Having written that, it seems mild, "unprofessional" but the man isn't on stage, he's not in entertainment. He's supposed to be a journalist. Oh, I see...
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

James Chapman (Mail) ‏@jameschappers 18m18 minutes ago
Lab to vote against motion including European arrest warrant. Real crisis now for Govt - all for not having straightforward vote on 1 issue
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

pk1 wrote:Boris Watch ‏@BorisWatch 50s50 seconds ago
BREAKING NEWS: Ofsted have inspected Michael Gove's Whip's Office and put it into special measures. Harris Academies take over next Monday.

:lol: :lol:
You beat me to it.

:D
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

citizenJA wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Re the above letter on LabourList - there is also a "put up or shut up" petition there, can all Labour members here who have not yet signed it please do so :)

Done yesterday!
And me.
Working on the wild side.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Adam Boulton ‏@adamboultonSKY 3m3 minutes ago Kingston upon Thames, London
Jacob Rees-Mogg I cannot believe Gove would make a basic error of this kind. Government cannot decide one vote is indicative of another.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

I know that Mark Ferguson gets some stick on here - at times justified - but he and LL have played a blinder in the last few days. Credit where it is due.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

This is the most successful attempt ever by a Government to prevent rebellious behaviour by its back-benchers. Not. What it is is some of the most gripping (and thoughtful) discussion and debate that I have seen for a long, long, time. So far, I have not once shouted, Oh shut up you stupid little man/woman! at a member of the Conservative Party. Although, I did hiss under my breath as Grayling introduced the Business Motion...

Hansard is going to make brilliant reading, later :dance:
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
I think I have given a fairly clear indication that this has been a sorry saga. And the House should not be put in this position. Most of us think that a commitment made is a commitment that should be honoured, and we should try to operate according to sensible standards, rather than try to slip things through through some sort of artifice. It may be the sort of thing that some people think is very clever, but people outside of the House expect straightforward dealing. And they are frankly contemptuous, and I use the word advisably, contemptuous of what is not straight dealing. Let’s try to learn from this experience and do better
Well done, Bercow.

Gove will have been involved in this.

Isn't he clever?

As masterly as he was in Education...
WelshIan
Committee Member

Post by WelshIan »

Lonewolfie wrote:
Out of interest, on the same subject, I've been contacted again by the above mentioned office, requesting I detail exactly which bits of the 22 (I think it was 22 pieces in 9 days IIRC) anti-Welsh NHS pieces in the Daily Heil are untrue and that I'm actually complaining about (obviously a general 'you shouldn't let a paper lie continually like that' isn't good enough) - does anyone know if there's a resource (Welsh Government/health activist blog/someone here) that would give me the info? Im going to try to find examples, but I'll only really have what the Heil has printed, but no facts or evidence by way of rebuttal/example.
This is the Welsh Government's response to the Mail, refuting a number of it's lies:

http://wales.gov.uk/newsroom/healthands ... l/?lang=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

LadyCentauria wrote:This is the most successful attempt ever by a Government to prevent rebellious behaviour by its back-benchers. Not. What it is is some of the most gripping (and thoughtful) discussion and debate that I have seen for a long, long, time. So far, I have not once shouted, Oh shut up you stupid little man/woman! at a member of the Conservative Party. Although, I did hiss under my breath as Grayling introduced the Business Motion...

Hansard is going to make brilliant reading, later :dance:

Not watching it, only reading reports but it sounds a bloody hoot.

Cooper by all accounts played a blinder, which will, of course be bad news for Ed.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

I am watching the HoC debate on no-the-EAW - it's absolutely bloody riveting.

Many of the Tories are are furious about what's happening - they are accusing the front bench of all manner of trickery and even Rees Mogg has gone off on one saying that this motion is an "outrageous abuse of parliamentary procedure".

Bercow has accused the government of breaking its' promise and calls this a shambles; Cameron is now facing a serious revolt on this issue.

All parties - ALL parties - are very annoyed and they want their debate. Several have said they are grateful to Bercow for allowing them to hold the executive to account by going over many points of order which all seem to be that the motion before them is NOT the motion they were expecting.

The whips have brought the MPs in to debate the 35 EU questions and the EAW - all the MPs so far have said they want to support keeping the EAW, but the motion is preventing them debating it.

If you have time - tune in!
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

pk1 wrote:http://labourlist.org/2014/11/labour-pp ... eadership/
Over 100 Labour PPCs have signed a letter today calling on “an anonymous few” to stop orchestrating a “campaign of briefing to destabilise Ed and his leadership”. The letter (published in full below) has been signed by candidates from across the political spectrum of the party, and includes many candidates from the party’s key marginal and target seats.
And guess what? The Progress supporting PPC of Bury North is not a signatory...
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

WelshIan wrote:
Lonewolfie wrote:
Out of interest, on the same subject, I've been contacted again by the above mentioned office, requesting I detail exactly which bits of the 22 (I think it was 22 pieces in 9 days IIRC) anti-Welsh NHS pieces in the Daily Heil are untrue and that I'm actually complaining about (obviously a general 'you shouldn't let a paper lie continually like that' isn't good enough) - does anyone know if there's a resource (Welsh Government/health activist blog/someone here) that would give me the info? Im going to try to find examples, but I'll only really have what the Heil has printed, but no facts or evidence by way of rebuttal/example.
This is the Welsh Government's response to the Mail, refuting a number of it's lies:

http://wales.gov.uk/newsroom/healthands ... l/?lang=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Welcome WelshIan, I am Welshletsskip!