Friday 13th January 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 13th January 2017

Post by yahyah »

Bwahahaha ? Is that a predictive text malfunction ? Should it be Banana ? Or is it Welsh ? Bwa means bow or archway.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

Fed up with Farage's radio show?

Try this instead:
Nicola Sturgeon has been warned not to breach Holyrood’s ministerial code after it emerged she is to write a weekly column for a Scottish tabloid newspaper. Next week Ms Sturgeon will become the first Scottish First Minister to contribute a regular column to a newspaper when she submits her first weekly article to the Daily Record.
http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/t ... -1-4339207
She doesn't need the cash, so I wonder why. If I were cynical, I might think it had something to do with local elections in May.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Surprised it isn't a Murdoch paper.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

yahyah wrote: It concerns me that there may be, there has to be, a person within Labour who would be a strong leader (in all the good senses of the word strong), but they won't put themselves forward because of the barrage of hate they'll have to endure from some if they dare set themselves against St Jez.
That thought hadn't occurred to me before now (can't fathom why). If such a person is out there, I hope that Jeremy Corbyn has the nous to give them a decent run-up time to establish their possible leadership credentials.

Edited to add -

And also has the nous not to endorse them as his annointed successor. Now that would be the kiss of death.
Last edited by PorFavor on Fri 13 Jan, 2017 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Interesting way to announce that one of the most powerful people in education these days, the RSC for East Mdlands and Humber is leaving.

Timing? 6pm on a Friday night...why does that make me suspicious?
David Carter
‏@Carter6D

https://www.civilservicejobs.service.go ... VjN2MyMA==" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …. Great opportunity for a brilliant school leader to join my team as the RSC for East Midlands & Humber region
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Eric_WLothian wrote:Fed up with Farage's radio show?

Try this instead:
Nicola Sturgeon has been warned not to breach Holyrood’s ministerial code after it emerged she is to write a weekly column for a Scottish tabloid newspaper. Next week Ms Sturgeon will become the first Scottish First Minister to contribute a regular column to a newspaper when she submits her first weekly article to the Daily Record.
http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/t ... -1-4339207
She doesn't need the cash, so I wonder why. If I were cynical, I might think it had something to do with local elections in May.
Down here sodding Boris was allowed to write for the Telegraph while Mayor. I wonder if he'd have been able to live on the mayoral salary if he'd not had the "chickenfeed" from the Telegraph.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Interesting way to announce that one of the most powerful people in education these days, the RSC for East Mdlands and Humber is leaving.

David Carter
‏@Carter6D

https://www.civilservicejobs.service.go ... VjN2MyMA==" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …. Great opportunity for a brilliant school leader to join my team as the RSC for East Midlands & Humber region
Always a good idea to have a look around on a Friday late afternoon with government
Find out a lot of what they'd prefer no one paid attention
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Interesting way to announce that one of the most powerful people in education these days, the RSC for East Mdlands and Humber is leaving.

David Carter
‏@Carter6D

Not the easiest region- run down Lincolnshire plus Humber. Not surprising you might get somebody bail out of that.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

New Zealand must be laughing at us over Brexit.

UK negotiator- A few more points. We want...
NZ negotiator- Come on, we're whitey Anglophones. You can trust us. And by the way, we can hold you up and make people at home doubt your Hard Brexit stuff. Can't do a deal with us, how does that look?

(Phone rings)

Voice: It's Foxy here. Just do the deal now. What do you mean problems? These are whitey Anglophones.

(Hands are shaken, and deal is done).
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Tubby Isaacs wrote:

David Carter
‏@Carter6D

Not the easiest region- run down Lincolnshire plus Humber. Not surprising you might get somebody bail out of that.
Only been in the job a little over two years - wouldn't mind betting that she's going to head up a MAT. It would have to be a large one given her current salary.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

British Red Cross volunteers are responding in 10 rest centres across Lincolnshire, Norfolk, Suffolk and Essex. So far, 25 volunteers and two staff members have been deployed and they have seen more than 120 people who have been evacuated from their homes.

Mike Adamson, the British Red Cross chief executive, said his thoughts were with the families affected. “Being evacuated from your home can be incredibly stressful, especially when you don’t know what you may be going back to,” he said. (Guardian)
Bloody Red Cross. Over-reacting again.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/liv ... ve-updates
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

PorFavor wrote:
British Red Cross volunteers are responding in 10 rest centres across Lincolnshire, Norfolk, Suffolk and Essex. So far, 25 volunteers and two staff members have been deployed and they have seen more than 120 people who have been evacuated from their homes.

Mike Adamson, the British Red Cross chief executive, said his thoughts were with the families affected. “Being evacuated from your home can be incredibly stressful, especially when you don’t know what you may be going back to,” he said. (Guardian)
Bloody Red Cross. Over-reacting again.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/liv ... ve-updates
Talking of stress when you least need it:
A hospital has apologised after women in labour were refused admission to a Glasgow maternity unit because of overcrowding.
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde said the issue affected five women who presented at the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital (QEUH) on Thursday.
The women were either diverted to other hospitals or had their planned procedures delayed.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-g ... t-38608291
The health board blamed a higher than normal level of admissions.
Missed a trick there - they could have blamed a higher than normal level of activity 9 months ago.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

The point is that Hunt leaving is not Corbyn's fault, it's Labour's fault.

This is the thing that upsets me day in day out. Corbyn is there because those in the "moderate" wing of Labour have failed to bring forward a good candidate with a compelling vision for the centre left.

Step up Tristram, Angela, Owen or whoever you are I will vote for you as leader when you speak sense. I want an electable Labour party and a Labour government as much as anybody.

Until then I'll stick with the leader we have and support him in holding the true enemy to account.

Seriously, seriously, Corbyn's leadership was hardly a coup, it was a serious balls up by the "moderates" and until people recognise that we will never move beyond it.

Where is the better Leader?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:

Only been in the job a little over two years - wouldn't mind betting that she's going to head up a MAT. It would have to be a large one given her current salary.
Ah, she, apologies.

Might be a MAT she dealt with.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:The point is that Hunt leaving is not Corbyn's fault, it's Labour's fault.

This is the thing that upsets me day in day out. Corbyn is there because those in the "moderate" wing of Labour have failed to bring forward a good candidate with a compelling vision for the centre left.

Step up Tristram, Angela, Owen or whoever you are I will vote for you as leader when you speak sense. I want an electable Labour party and a Labour government as much as anybody.

Until then I'll stick with the leader we have and support him in holding the true enemy to account.

Seriously, seriously, Corbyn's leadership was hardly a coup, it was a serious balls up by the "moderates" and until people recognise that we will never move beyond it.

Owen Smith.

Uncle Tom Cobbley.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... it-welfare" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scottish housing benefit reforms to offer tenants greater flexibility
Changes to universal credit system mark first use of welfare powers introduced after independence referendum in 2014

PS doesn't end all problems,non-payments etc..One of the first things the Coalition did was,counter to the "make responsible/budget" thing,was make SMI to be paid directly.Having done so we got one of those warning letters for not keeping up with payments.I included this in my calls for IDS to resign(in truth it was more Webb) which was successful (eventually).
Last edited by HindleA on Fri 13 Jan, 2017 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:The point is that Hunt leaving is not Corbyn's fault, it's Labour's fault.

Owen Smith.

Uncle Tom Cobbley.
Owen Smith? Seriously Tubby when someone like me chooses Corbyn over the moderate challenger you need to listen.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

He got Brexit. I think that's important.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Tubby Isaacs wrote:He got Brexit. I think that's important.
But Corbyn gets Brexit too IMHO.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Owen Smith? Seriously Tubby when someone like me chooses Corbyn over the moderate challenger you need to listen.
(cJA edit)

You may be more unique than you realise. I'm not having a go at you.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:He got Brexit. I think that's important.
But Corbyn gets Brexit too IMHO.
Corbyn scares me over 'Brexit'.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

[quote="PaulfromYorkshire"][quote="Tubby Isaacs"]He got Brexit. I think that's important.[/quote]
But Corbyn gets Brexit too IMHO.[/quote]

Brexit that works for Britain, unlike Tory banker Brexit, but we need to protect banker passporting. Too many corporate subsidies now but I'll hand out a load more when we've got Hard Brexit.

He's all over the place.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No police officers can be disciplined over Hillsborough complaints, says IPCC
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1558176 ... -it-is-not" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Labour Press
Today’s announcement is a small step but it is not a silver bullet for the British economy - Barry Gardiner
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

yahyah wrote:Bwahahaha ? Is that a predictive text malfunction ? Should it be Banana ? Or is it Welsh ? Bwa means bow or archway.
It's ridiculous that a poster (note, I'm not referring to yourself or pk) could believe that Hunt hadn't decided to join the V&A before the local election results came in. It's laughable. Embarrassing attempt to show cause and effect.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

citizenJA wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Owen Smith? Seriously Tubby when someone like me chooses Corbyn over the moderate challenger you need to listen.
(cJA edit)

You may be more unique than you realise. I'm not having a go at you.
:lol:

Thanks that's a lovely comment and an accurate assessment JA.

What I mean is my journey in Labour. I'm nobody particularly special but back in the Blair era I was key campaigner in a marginal Midlands constituency, was invited (with many others) to meet Tony & Cherie in Downing St., you get the picture....

I've always been a pragmatist in Labour, though with my own quiet values.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

StephenDolan wrote:
yahyah wrote:Bwahahaha ? Is that a predictive text malfunction ? Should it be Banana ? Or is it Welsh ? Bwa means bow or archway.
It's ridiculous that a poster (note, I'm not referring to yourself or pk) could believe that Hunt hadn't decided to join the V&A before the local election results came in. It's laughable. Embarrassing attempt to show cause and effect.
For clarity: The poster was referring to the MP they have heard is (yet) to stand down. They were not talking about Tristram Hunt. They were suggesting that last night's council elections may be one of the tipping points along with the poorly executed 're-launch'
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

As already discussed rather extensively, two local council byelections to begin the new electoral year:

Sunderland - as you must be aware by now this was a LibDem gain from Labour on a colossal swing of some 35% as they advanced from 4% and 4th last May to 45% and winners now. Unlike some similar results in the past year, this one didn't even have much of a past LibDem history to draw upon - their "best" showing before now on present boundaries being finishing narrowly behind the Tories, who took a very distant second place, back in 2010. The widespread presumption had been this would be a fight between Labour and UKIP, who had finished second here in their only previous outings in 2015 and 2016 - but whilst Labour's rump share of a quarter of the vote was less than half of those two showings UKIP also fell by over 7% and dropped to third. Tories also down by a few points, and the Green share of 1.3% was exactly halved since last year.

Three Rivers DC - LibDem gain from Tory, meaning they now hold all three seats in this ward again after achieving that in the first elections on the present boundaries in 2014 - and perhaps more importantly, have now retaken overall control of one of their former strongholds in the home counties. There was only a modest LibDem swing since last year, but the winning score of over 60% - and beating the Tories by over 3 to 1 - represented a swing of well over 20% since GE day in 2015 when this seat was one of a few shock Tory gains that turned the council hung. Labour third, not down much on last year but more on the previous few elections, whilst both UKIP (under 7%) and the Greens (less than 2%) were only modestly rewarded for dipping their toes in the electoral arena for the first time here.

Just the one contest next week.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

AnatolyKasparov wrote:As already discussed rather extensively, two local council byelections to begin the new electoral year:

Sunderland - a complete train wreck for Corbyn.

Three Rivers DC - not even worth mentioning because little opportunity to attack Corbyn.

Just the one contest next week.
There fixed it for you ;-)
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

The government should support British industry instead of blaming the EU -
There are two common – and contradictory – misconceptions about the extent to which European Union (EU) member states can support their own national industries.

http://www.verdict.co.uk/2017/01/12/gov ... laming-eu/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/he ... -ownership" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Labour would take failed care homes into public ownership, Jeremy Corbyn pledges

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38608375" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -ownership" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by HindleA on Fri 13 Jan, 2017 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Oh I forgot to watch the docu-drama on Bobby Moore.

I only wanted to see whether they showed the bit where he knocked on my nan's door to ask if she'd seen his cat...the Moore's lived a few doors down.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Thought Channel 4 News was interesting. Few vox pops, none that hostile to Hunt. Lady in the Museum said he'd stopped some Wedgewood stuff from being exported, and provided time for it to be saved and displayed in the City. Another lady said he'd been "excellent" for her kid's school. The area's schools are not high performing, perhaps understandably. He had lots of interest in schools, and maybe he came across well locally exactly because he was an "outsider".
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-38618448" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Former Welsh Lib Dem leader Lord Carlile quits party
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Thought Channel 4 News was interesting. Few vox pops, none that hostile to Hunt. Lady in the Museum said he'd stopped some Wedgewood stuff from being exported, and provided time for it to be saved and displayed in the City. Another lady said he'd been "excellent" for her kid's school. The area's schools are not high performing, perhaps understandably. He had lots of interest in schools, and maybe he came across well locally exactly because he was an "outsider".
His leaving letter was lovely and sounded heartfelt. I'm quite sure he's a very decent guy.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Trump Orders DC National Guard Chief To Leave In Middle Of Inaugural Ceremony

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/d ... ign=buffer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01 ... ents-want/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Theresa May to tell GP surgeries to give patients appointments when they want them or face funding cuts
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

HindleA wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01 ... ents-want/

Theresa May to tell GP surgeries to give patients appointments when they want them or face funding cuts
They should call back and say they want to see her right now to discuss!
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
HindleA wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01 ... ents-want/

They should call back and say they want to see her right now to discuss!
Group appointments at popular times - could be a winner. :lol:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/pi ... use-email/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PIP claimant set to take DWP to court over refusal to allow him to use email

Lucas, from Staffordshire, told Disability News Service (DNS) that he does not trust DWP to deal with benefit claims by paper because it previously altered a written statement he had submitted in 2013 as part of a jobseeker’s allowance (JSA) claim while he was at university, and then accused him of fraud and fined him £2,500.

DWP eventually agreed that he would not have to pay the fine, he said, after he proved that a DWP officer had added a paragraph to the statement, but he also took the case to tribunal – and won – so he could clear his name
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Pretty dismal stuff for govt to scapegoat GPs for very serious NHS pressures. Failure to understand the complexity or own responsibility"

Guess who?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.bma.org.uk/news/media-centr ... sis-in-nhs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Government using GPs as scapegoats instead of taking responsiblity for crisis in NHS
Responding to calls from the prime minister, Theresa May, for more seven-day GP access, Dr Chaand Nagpaul, BMA GP committee chair, said:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... -surgeries" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Theresa May pushes for GPs to take the strain amid A&E crisis
Prime minister wants surgeries to provide a seven-day service but is accused of trying to scapegoat family doctors for chaos in NHS hospitals
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Seriously worried about SH's gambling habit and addling effects.Yesterday's hospitals are like car plants and Sundays are really Wednesdays and today's unintelligible musings about tents.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Sarah Wollaston.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

She's not happy

Beyond belief that anyone would think that attacking an overstretched & demoralised primary care would serve any purpose whatsoever
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Here's just a few point of many points that are obvious to everyone in the NHS
1. England has the lowest number of beds/head in Europe

2. Bed occupancy is running far too high & measuring at midnight underestimates the problem as not all free beds are available

3. As beds have closed, complex patients who would previously have been cared for in hospital are now looked after in primary care

4. Workload is completely unsustainable in many areas & workforce shortfall & morale a serious worry
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.england.nhs.uk/2015/10/pmgp ... fund-eval/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Actual evidence
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Miliband (E) - but he stepped down.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'