Saturday 21st & Sunday 22nd January 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Saturday 21st & Sunday 22nd January 2017

Post by HindleA »

Morning

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... dApp_Tweet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

UK council cuts will lead to more people sleeping rough, charities warn

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/ ... tal-no-dss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 21st & Sunday 22nd January 2017

Post by HindleA »

http://linkis.com/www.inquest.org.uk/m/cSumJ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Jury concludes neglect contributed to death of Dean Saunders at HMP Chelmsford
An inquest jury today found that “neglect” contributed to the death of a young father who died in HMP Chelmsford after being taking into custody when he was in severe mental health crisis.

The jury found that Dean Saunders and his family were “let down by serious failings in both mental health care and the prison system” and said that Care UK, the private company that runs healthcare at the prison, “treated financial consideration as a significant reason to reduce the level of observations” of Dean, despite repeated warnings of his state of mind."
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pow ... 530356a898" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interior Department told to stop tweeting after unflattering retweets about Trump
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-38689918" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Reconsider grammar plan, heads urge May
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38700123" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

UK women set to march against Trump
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.labour.org.uk/index.php/nhs-campaign" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The party of zero percent have a NHS campaign event day for all those not interested.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... -blacklist" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fresh turmoil in South Korea as minister arrested over 'arts blacklist"
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Morning, it's a beautiful sunny cold one here.

Did anyone see Question Time ? I didn't but just saw a clip.
It's been a while since the Lib Dems managed to rouse applause but Alistair Carmichael got audience support when he attacked Labour's position on Brexit.

Thornberry deployed the 'but we're not in power' squirrel which lead to the Lib Dem getting more applause when he said ''you are not even in opposition''

Even Cybernats have been agreeing with their hate-figure Carmichael. Strange times indeed.
Last edited by yahyah on Sat 21 Jan, 2017 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the video clip of Carmichael and Thornberry.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

My opinion of the Libdem party,or whatever they are calling themselves this week ,and consistently so is the" Tories with extra spivery".Slimeballs,with very few exceptions.Any misfortunate contact with their representives I have had only emboldens that view.Duplicitous shits 'r' us.

That anyone could even contemplate voting for them,is beyond my comprehension.Then again,fair to say,most things are.

He got a laugh on the "you are not an opposition",theme,well done,smirking Tory enabling git.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://redbrickblog.wordpress.com/2017 ... ts-a-trap/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Government sets a trap

On the Homelessness Reduction Bill
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

HindleA wrote:My opinion of the Libdem party,or whatever they are calling themselves this week ,and consistently so is the" Tories with extra spivery".Slimeballs,with very few exceptions.Any misfortunate contact with their representives I have had only emboldens that view.Duplicitous shits 'r' us.

That anyone could even contemplate voting for them,is beyond my comprehension.Then again,fair to say,most things are.

He got a laugh on the "you are not an opposition",theme,well done,smirking Tory enabling git.
Credit where credit's due. They (the LibDems) were successful in the first 8 years or so of Holyrood, in a coalition with Labour. Jim Wallace, as DFM, saw two Labour FMs resign before Iain Gray's disastrous leadership started the death of Scottish Labour.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

HindleA wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38700123

Not just women
Bonnylad
Committee Member

Post by Bonnylad »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... rade-talks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

HindleA wrote:http://linkis.com/www.inquest.org.uk/m/cSumJ

"Jury concludes neglect contributed to death of Dean Saunders at HMP Chelmsford
An inquest jury today found that “neglect” contributed to the death of a young father who died in HMP Chelmsford after being taking into custody when he was in severe mental health crisis.

The jury found that Dean Saunders and his family were “let down by serious failings in both mental health care and the prison system” and said that Care UK, the private company that runs healthcare at the prison, “treated financial consideration as a significant reason to reduce the level of observations” of Dean, despite repeated warnings of his state of mind."
That's appalling.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Funny how all these countries wanting to do trade deals with us want lots of visas in return.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

HindleA wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38700123

I know someone who's marching in Shipley, using the occasion to have a go at the ghastly Philip Davies as well.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Make America great again by wearing made in China caps.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

HindleA wrote:My opinion of the Libdem party,or whatever they are calling themselves this week ,and consistently so is the" Tories with extra spivery".Slimeballs,with very few exceptions.Any misfortunate contact with their representives I have had only emboldens that view.Duplicitous shits 'r' us.

David Heath and Tessa Munt versus Jacob Rees-Mogg and Liam Fox.

The Tories win hands down on spivery and lack of ethics round my way. Though I appreciate we are blessed with some pretty unpleasant Tory specimens locally.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:Make America great again by wearing made in China caps.

And Brioni suits.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ure-review" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Independent Living Fund: post-closure review
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Clive Lewis making a lot of sense on R4 at the moment
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Warwick Mansell
‏@warwickmansell

Following
More
Warwick Mansell Retweeted Islington Gazette
Blimey: @teacherhead leaves Highbury Grove. " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … . Sad to read that word "divisive", given quality of his blogs.

Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Eric_WLothian wrote:

Credit where credit's due. They (the LibDems) were successful in the first 8 years or so of Holyrood, in a coalition with Labour. Jim Wallace, as DFM, saw two Labour FMs resign before Iain Gray's disastrous leadership started the death of Scottish Labour.
The Libdems were pretty much ok when they were running our local council as well. They are preferable to the Tories and where I am with the boundary changes they may be the best chance to unseat Rees-Mogg. Their commitment to the single market could persuade me. As long as Corbyn is leading Labour and saying he wants to be able to subsidize industry, which essentially means aiding May in taking us out of the single market, there are no good choices for me and so voting tactically against the Tories could be the way to go. I don't trust the Libdems on the NHS, but if the Tories get another majority then I know they will destroy the NHS, so if the Libdems are the only party capable of taking votes and seats off them in the South West where I am it's got to be better than splitting the anti-Tory vote and letting them increase their majority. It could well depend a lot on the individual candidates. I'll still be voting Labour locally, they are still my party on other issues, it's just that Brexit is such a big issue and Corbyn appearing to want to see us out of the single market has made it next to impossible for me to support him.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Nobody ‘stealing’ your jobs, you spend too much on wars, Alibaba founder tells US

https://www.rt.com/business/374289-alib ... -military/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

It doesn't matter that he is a smirking Tory enabling git. If what the Lib Dems say resonates with Remain voters they may go with it and vote for them.
Hiding our heads in the sand and cursing about the Lib Dems won't stop them making headway if enough people think they have a point and Labour appear to have rolled over for Brexit.

Voters are human. They are fickle. The Lib Dems and Greens benefited from people saying 'I can't ever vote for Labour again because of ''****ing'' Blair, Iraq, or whatever. That may happen again about Brexit and the appallingly messy process it involves.

It's so frustrating. Separate out the hatred for what the Lib Dems did from what is happening now.
It's like not warning people running to a crumbling cliff edge because the person who raises the alert is a Tory.

And it wasn't all about Carmichael getting a cheap laugh, although we'd be cheering if Thornberry had scored a cheap laugh at his expense wouldn't we ? Thornberry's body language showed a lot. Looking down at her nails, looking uncomfortable. That's the kind of thing viewers pick up on.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

AngryAsWell wrote:Warwick Mansell
‏@warwickmansell

Following
More
Warwick Mansell Retweeted Islington Gazette
Blimey: @teacherhead leaves Highbury Grove. " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … . Sad to read that word "divisive", given quality of his blogs.

Yeah, that did come as a shock when I saw it this morning although he had firstly deactivated his Twitter account a few weeks back, and then changed the name of it.

Wonder how many more HTs are going to quit when they're simply not prepared to cut back so hard on staffing?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... in-koblenz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Marine Le Pen leads gathering of EU far-right leaders in Koblenz
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Good morning

Article 50 invocation is the direct consequence of the referendum result - it should not have needed another Parliamentary device but due to the idiot Cameron this is not the case

At no point did anyone ever suggest that the result of the referendum would not be respected.....if that had been made clear that a result for Leave would only be advisory and that Parliament would decide then that is another thing

Those who argue that the result can be ignored and that A50 invocation can be blocked need to bear that in mind - you may feel that Labour is 'rolling over' but that seems to be based on personal animosity towards the leader, and is a cynical attempt to use a difficult situation to undermine the party.....

Others may see it as the only option in very difficult circumstances as to oppose it will lead to a counter claim of being 'undemocratic and not listening to the voters' - the classic Catch-22

Let us be clear - the A50 bill will pass unless someone can explain who are the 20 or so Tory rebels are

We are still in the 'phoney war' and there is a huge amount of posturing going on. May is in the ascendancy because she actually hasn't had to deal with a negotiating opponent yet, and she is just spouting hopeful shite, with no challenge from the sycophantic media

If, like me, you think there is no was round A50 invocation then the focus should be on fighting the negotiation and ensuring there is challenge and constant pressure on the Tories....hoping that at some point public opinion will clearly be against leaving....that is not the case now!

If you believe that the A50 bill can be used as the mechanism to block Brexit completely then you will come from a different place, but also you will have to explain how the numbers allow you to do that, assuming all SNP, Labour, LD, PC, Green vote one way then there is still a significant deficit needed to overcome Tory, DUP - also knowing a number of the PLP will vote for invocation no matter what

Can Corbyn, or Starmer, dance the tightrope that Labour is another matter - but I find their position much more understandable than some of the opinions on here - or the noise coming from the LD.

Just because a QT audience starts whooping and cheering does not a sensible policy make
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 37171.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“It was a referendum that was fought in good faith and nobody said at any time ‘you know what, I am not going to respect the result afterwards’,” Ms Cooper said
Technically she is wrong, that's exactly what parliament said when they made the referendum advisory, though it's true no one bothered to mention this at the time and it now suits MPs to pretend it wasn't the case because it simply underlines how badly they stuffed up when they acceded to Cameron's flawed and ill-thought through referendum bill.

Labour made a very big mistake when they failed to ask the most basic questions when voting for the referendum bill, about who would trigger article 50, would it be revocable etc, but they can redeem themselves by asking for these questions to be resolved now before Brexit goes any further. Worrying about being seen to be blocking Brexit is worrying about losing votes rather than worrying about doing what is right for the country. And what is right is knowing exactly what we are doing before we do it and ensuring the Tory government can't take us out of the single market without a democratic mandate to so, which they don't currently have.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

You talk much sense on this, silly.

If there was a serious chance of parliament voting to block A50, the calculus *might* be different.

But there isn't - who apart from Clarke and Soubry is going to support that in the Tories? And of course the DUP will vote for A50 as well.
Last edited by AnatolyKasparov on Sat 21 Jan, 2017 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

And another school with financial issues...

School with £1.3m debt now faces closure over inadequate Ofsted

http://schoolsweek.co.uk/school-with-1- ... te-ofsted/
In its accounts EFT said the trust took on the school when it already had a “considerable deficit”.

It said the Education Funding Agency (EFA) initially asked it to fund the deficit from its central funds, but then realised this would “have an impact on the overall position of the trust. This matter was raised again during the year with the EFA and were [sic] advised by the deputy director that there was no additional funding to support this position.”

The accounts show that five of the trust’s 12 schools posted a deficit last year. In 2015, EFT spent £268,000 on redundancy and severance payment costs, with another £69,000 last year.
EFT took on the school in Sept 2013 - if that had been me I would have said to the EFA "No, you take the deficit and we'll start with a clean slate".

This is going to be grim for an awful lot of schools - at what point do the DfE sit up and take notice - when schools simply close the doors because of a lack of teachers?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

And can we not have this "advisory" referendum thing again - NOBODY seriously thinks that one will have any traction.

In any case, it was effectively rendered obsolete once the government leaflet on the referendum said "WE WILL IMPLEMENT WHAT YOU DECIDE".

We voted to leave the EU, and it will happen barring something absolutely unforseen and astonishing. That still leaves a great deal up for grabs.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Willow904 wrote:http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 37171.html
“It was a referendum that was fought in good faith and nobody said at any time ‘you know what, I am not going to respect the result afterwards’,” Ms Cooper said
Technically she is wrong, that's exactly what parliament said when they made the referendum advisory, though it's true no one bothered to mention this at the time and it now suits MPs to pretend it wasn't the case because it simply underlines how badly they stuffed up when they acceded to Cameron's flawed and ill-thought through referendum bill.

Labour made a very big mistake when they failed to ask the most basic questions when voting for the referendum bill, about who would trigger article 50, would it be revocable etc, but they can redeem themselves by asking for these questions to be resolved now before Brexit goes any further. Worrying about being seen to be blocking Brexit is worrying about losing votes rather than worrying about doing what is right for the country. And what is right is knowing exactly what we are doing before we do it and ensuring the Tory government can't take us out of the single market without a democratic mandate to so, which they don't currently have.

Sorry Willow don't agree completely

On your first point, you are also technically right but to be honest we are not looking at technical decisions, we are looking at emotional ones.....it is too late now to go back to say 'you know guys this was only advisory and we are going to ignore it'

I fail to see how this is any less of a disastrous position to take by Labour, than this accusation of 'rolling over' - in fact my view would be that it would be much more badly perceived

You are right questions were not asked about those details of the referendum result from anybody, including the Tories. It was not just Labour who were against leaving was it....the fault, as always in this situation, falls mainly on the shoulders of Cameron.

As to your point on blocking A50 - tell me how that will happen? Labour vote against, get battered for doing so, and then lose. The empty gesture that will be treated with contempt by those who voted Remain and despised by those, the majority, who voted Leave

A50 is the direct consequence of the referendum like it or not, whether it is technically right or not.....it is the reality

The best of a really bad set of options is to vote for it but make it clear this is the respecting of the referendum decision......and then lay out what the Tories will make a mess of it all....and to focus on the 'best for Britain' phrase....one day that may mean staying in and Labour should be prepared to say so when the time is right - which it is not at the moment

The fact that we all have to remember is that the Referendum was lost and the vote was to Leave the EU.....trying to stop even the first steps towards accepting that decision are not appropriate in a democracy....whether you like the result or not!

A50 invocation is unstoppable.....so get it done and focus on the next step....choose the battles
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:And can we not have this "advisory" referendum thing again - NOBODY seriously thinks that one will have any traction.

In any case, it was effectively rendered obsolete once the government leaflet on the referendum said "WE WILL IMPLEMENT WHAT YOU DECIDE".

We voted to leave the EU, and it will happen barring something absolutely unforseen and astonishing. That still leaves a great deal up for grabs.
We didn't vote to leave the single market. If article 50 turns out to be irrevocable and Labour help the Tories take us out of the single market by voting for article 50 knowing what they plan to do and no way of stopping them once Brexit is started, then what?
Corbyn isn't even indicating he wants to stop the Tories taking us out of the single market and none of his supporters are addressing that point when I make it.
I appreciate that the Tories have a majority and article 50 will be triggered, but that doesn't prevent Labour from indicating that they will not support them in taking us out of the single market because there is no mandate for that. If Labour aren't going to fight for the single market now, when Theresa May has just indicated she will take us out, when will they?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Warwick Mansell
‏@warwickmansell
Three primary academies "will be transferred". http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/education/t ... cial_icons" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … Amazing how top-down this new system is. User voice nowhere.

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

No we did not vote to leave the single market or for a "hard" Brexit more generally.

The point is that I do not accept that A50 makes that inevitable, there will be further votes in parliament after it is passed.

(Davis accepted this in the Commons this week, even though it seems not everybody noticed)
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Willow904 wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:And can we not have this "advisory" referendum thing again - NOBODY seriously thinks that one will have any traction.

We didn't vote to leave the single market. If article 50 turns out to be irrevocable and Labour help the Tories take us out of the single market by voting for article 50 knowing what they plan to do and no way of stopping them once Brexit is started, then what?
Corbyn isn't even indicating he wants to stop the Tories taking us out of the single market and none of his supporters are addressing that point when I make it.
I appreciate that the Tories have a majority and article 50 will be triggered, but that doesn't prevent Labour from indicating that they will not support them in taking us out of the single market because there is no mandate for that. If Labour aren't going to fight for the single market now, when Theresa May has just indicated she will take us out, when will they?

Willow,

Yes the question was bad, yes there was no indication what 'Leaving' means but to make these arguments has no traction now....do you think saying 'we are going to block the first steps of leaving because we don't think you meant it because of reason XYZ' is going to work? If you say yes then I am afraid I will have to completely disagree with you

To be honest the British don't know what the want to do they...that is the problem and is particular stark for Labour where we have a divided party- at all levels.....

Also, the options all seem to be open from May....we all know she cannot deliver what she says but not everyone is as nerdish as us......sooner or later we will see what the 'deal' is looking like and at that point people will start taking a concrete position. I think there is a good likelihood that the deal is so bad that 'Best for Britain' will be seen as staying

Of course this is being based on the EU allowing revocation (but as you have said it is not explicitly excluded so there is a good chance it is)

As to your final point....I am glad you are seeing that the energy arguing over A50 invocation is wasted....and I agree Labour will need to start showing its cards, although not all at once. It has to be all linked to the negotiation

Labour will be silly if it starts issuing 'red lines' because there is no way of enforcing them...we cannot say 'We Must Stay in the Single Market or else' at the beginning because we can't enforce it, and we should avoid tying ourselves to a set position. Until the EU show their hand I would not commit to anything...it is just a hostage to fortune

Starmer is a barrister, he has set out the starting point for Labour a couple of weeks ago and he should work within that

There are so may people criticising Labour for not setting out there position....but I fail to see why it would be sensible to do that.....they are not a party to the negotiation and they have not yet seen what the negotiations will bring...the Tories have set out some sort of position but you have to admit it is a pile of shite.....we don't need to build another pile next to it. And the Lib Dems position is just as silly - it might look clear and simple but it is appealing to the emotions of those who are angry at the result...tactically it might work now but as a strategic position it is not quite as convincing

The winners and losers both politically and economically will not become clear for a year at least.....being on the right side at that time is more important than posturing now
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:No we did not vote to leave the single market or for a "hard" Brexit more generally.

The point is that I do not accept that A50 makes that inevitable, there will be further votes in parliament after it is passed.

(Davis accepted this in the Commons this week, even though it seems not everybody noticed)
He also said we would leave anyway no matter how parliament votes which is why blocking A50 has become so topical.
(sorry for link )

MPs told they WILL get vote on final Brexit deal but WON'T be able to block EU exit

BREXIT SECRETARY David Davis today told MPs they will get a vote on a final Brexit deal but WON’T be able to block Britain’s EU exit.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/ ... heresa-May" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... nce-orders" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Donald Trump era begins with Obamacare rollback and missile defence orders

" new national day of patriotism"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

howsillyofme1 wrote:
The winners and losers both politically and economically will not become clear for a year at least.....being on the right side at that time is more important than posturing now

If the electorate, in the main, has come to the conclusion that they are the losers, how will Labour's actions now place them on the "right side" at that time?

Edited to tidy up
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

The Brex-Factor: 10 of the worst Brexiteers this week

http://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-sto ... =hootsuite" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Secret Teacher: My uniform-mad school is putting style over substance
We have draconian guidelines and pupils are sent home for non-compliance. The message is clear: it’s not who you are that counts, but how you look

https://www.theguardian.com/teacher-net ... -substance" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They have uniform inspection at our local school but in a relaxed sort of way, similar to the boy mentioned as not having any other shoes being allowed to wear trainers. A little understanding goes a long way.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... e-coverage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Women's March on Washington, London and global anti-Trump protests - live coverage
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Diane Abbott MP, Lionel Barber, Jacob Rees-Mogg MP, Xenia Wickett on Any Question R4 Now

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b088jj6j" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.endviolenceagainstwomen.org. ... ild-policy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(More on )
Government reject calls to scrap "woman-judging" 3rd child policy
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Northern Ireland's EU exit will destroy peace deal, says Gerry Adams
Sinn Féin president says Brexit would undermine the Good Friday agreement and would constitute ‘a hostile action’

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... erry-adams" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

PorFavor wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:

If the electorate, in the main, has come to the conclusion that they are the losers, how will Labour's actions now place them on the "right side" at that time?

Edited to tidy up

What actions?

No bill, no 3 line whip, no supreme court decision -nothing has happened yet

If they vote for allowing A50 they have to be quite clear why and what they will be doing to hold the Government to account

The bill, in all likelihood, will not be to invoke A50 but will be an enabling act for the Government to do so - a subtle difference. That is a natural consequence of the referendum I would say....

Also, it could be there is no need for a bill depending on the supreme court decision, or at the other extreme the need to get approval from all the devolved assemblies

Your question asked me to judge the mood of the British people in 2 years time - who knows what the world will be like in two years...I could easily ask you the question and you cannot answer me definitively either.

I just look at the Parliamentary arithmetic and do not see how it can be won so why spend political capital on fighting a lost cause....with other members of the PLP moaning to the press instead of the current ones?

And a lot of the assumptions are based on this article....fake news at its best......just like the headline based on a direct quote from the Tories on the choice of candidate in Copeland....in contradiction of another headline in the same paper.....ensure every one has an excuse to be pissed off!

http://anotherangryvoice.blogspot.ch/20 ... about.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edited to add quote and to clarify a point made
Last edited by howsillyofme1 on Sat 21 Jan, 2017 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://tommurtha.wordpress.com/2017/01 ... -new-year/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A Not So Happy New Year

(Housing blog)