Thursday 26h January 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 26h January 2017

Post by SpinningHugo »

Whip won't follow the whip.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Labour isn't a functional opposition.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Mexican president cancels US visit over Trump's order to build border wall
Enrique Peña Nieto has said Mexico will not pay for the wall, as US Congress faces questions about budgetary impact of its construction

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... ?CMP=fb_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/co ... jobcentre/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Coroner orders inquest into ‘fit for work’ man who collapsed after leaving jobcentre
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The fact that Donald Trump and Theresa May are holding a joint press conference is something of a surprise.
Earlier this week Number 10 sources were playing down the prospect of such an event happening.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/bl ... 0ce5568d34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It wasn't a joke then.
‘Good luck, sweetheart’ is a comradely communication between flight crew during unconventional take-off, landing or manoeuvre of the aircraft
'good luck, sweetheart, let's come away standing'
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

adam wrote:I think that...

6. The problem with a further referendum is that if we had a 'we're leaving, it will mean no single market, a massive hit on immigration, a severely reduced welfare state and low corporate taxation' you are going to struggle to convince me that it wouldn't win.
This.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/pi ... assessors/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PIP INVESTIGATION: Regulator receives ‘more than 1,600 complaints about assessors
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/cu ... -are-told/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

‘Cuts to support killed my neighbours,’ MPs are told
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

This by Stephen Bush is V good on the reasoning behind D art 50
http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/st ... article-50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No surprise McDonnell behind it.

I think it is high risk. Labour is doing so badly it needs to worry about the core seats, not the marginals.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ium=social" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Barclays Picks Dublin as Post-Brexit EU Headquarters
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

gilsey wrote:
adam wrote:I think that...

6. The problem with a further referendum is that if we had a 'we're leaving, it will mean no single market, a massive hit on immigration, a severely reduced welfare state and low corporate taxation' you are going to struggle to convince me that it wouldn't win.
This.

I read recently that amendments that would cost money, such as holding a referendum, can only be added to a money bill and I'm assuming the article 50 bill won't be, so that's not likely anyway.

On a happier note, as I keep reminding myself, May can take us out, but she's not going to have time to finalise our new relationship before the next election. A campaign to stay in/rejoin the single market could be successful.
Last edited by Willow904 on Thu 26 Jan, 2017 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Wonder how much money has leaked out of the education system to the private sector because MATs now act like companies with all that implies?

Exclusive: Academy trust that owes £4.5 million paid PR firm £78,000

https://www.tes.com/news/school-news/br ... rm-ps78000

Bright Futures Educational Trust bought "marketing and other professional services" from company whose MD was one of the trust's school governors

A troubled academy trust whose financial woes threaten its future spent £78,000 with a communications consultancy in a single year, TES can reveal.

The Bright Futures Educational Trust (BFET), which is sponsored by Altringham Grammar School for Girls, owes the Education Funding Agency (EFA) more than £4.5 million.

Its financial accounts for 2015-16 said it was in talks with the funding body to defer payments, and warned that failure to agree a new action plan would “cast doubt on the ability to proceed on a going concern basis”.

However, despite these financial pressures, BFET bought “marketing and other professional services” worth £78,000 from the Manchester-based company MC2 in the same period.
:wall:
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Clive Lewis on R4 just now - not made his mind up and won't till hears debate
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

'Sometimes opposites attract' - May explains how she can work with Trump - Politics live
:sick:
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... ieto-trump

Mexican president cancels US visit over Trump's order to build border wall
I do hope this is true:
The biggest winners from the construction of Donald Trump’s “big, beautiful, powerful” wall along the US-Mexico border are likely to be Mexican cement companies and construction workers.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... st-winners

:lol:
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Wonder how much money has leaked out of the education system to the private sector because MATs now act like companies with all that implies?

Exclusive: Academy trust that owes £4.5 million paid PR firm £78,000

https://www.tes.com/news/school-news/br ... rm-ps78000

Bright Futures Educational Trust bought "marketing and other professional services" from company whose MD was one of the trust's school governors

A troubled academy trust whose financial woes threaten its future spent £78,000 with a communications consultancy in a single year, TES can reveal.

The Bright Futures Educational Trust (BFET), which is sponsored by Altringham Grammar School for Girls, owes the Education Funding Agency (EFA) more than £4.5 million.

Its financial accounts for 2015-16 said it was in talks with the funding body to defer payments, and warned that failure to agree a new action plan would “cast doubt on the ability to proceed on a going concern basis”.

However, despite these financial pressures, BFET bought “marketing and other professional services” worth £78,000 from the Manchester-based company MC2 in the same period.
:wall:
That's odd. Sponsored academy status is supposed to be for secondary moderns and comps. Not grammar schools.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Trade deals for the other party to the deal (ie not the US) will be like "quicksand" said Donald Trump just now (BBC News coverage of his speech at the Republican bash which Theresa May will be addressing later today).
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Did I just hear Donald Trump refer to Theresa May as a "girl"? Wasn't paying full attention.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Tubby Isaacs wrote: That's odd. Sponsored academy status is supposed to be for secondary moderns and comps. Not grammar schools.
This was a grammar that converted in 2011 and then started building a MAT. Presumably they were rated Good or OS at the time.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote: That's odd. Sponsored academy status is supposed to be for secondary moderns and comps. Not grammar schools.
This was a grammar that converted in 2011 and then started building a MAT. Presumably they were rated Good or OS at the time.
Ah, cheers.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Ah.
Keir Starmer ‏@Keir_Starmer 8m8 minutes ago

Have tabled a series of amendments to A50 Bill, including a requirement for a vote in parliament before govt can agree any final exit deal.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Repeat for those skipping class

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1564045 ... article-50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Why Abbott again?
On the panel are Conservative MP James Cleverly, shadow home secretary Diane Abbott, SNP leader in Westminster Angus Robertson, Mirror Online journalist Susie Boniface and the self-styled 'Britain's only Conservative-voting comedian' Geoff Norcott.
Avoid.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Donald Trump speech "take a look at what's registering[to vote]"

My emphasis.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 47111.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Anger as the Bill to start Brexit contains just 130 words and MPs are given just five days to debate it – and try to amend it
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Why Abbott again?
On the panel are Conservative MP James Cleverly, shadow home secretary Diane Abbott, SNP leader in Westminster Angus Robertson, Mirror Online journalist Susie Boniface and the self-styled 'Britain's only Conservative-voting comedian' Geoff Norcott.
Avoid.
She was on far too often when she was a backbencher.

But possible that nobody else fancies defending the farce.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Tam Dalyell has died (BBC).

Edited to add -

Please don't let Jeremy Corbyn wish him a full and speedy recovery.
Last edited by PorFavor on Thu 26 Jan, 2017 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

The Tories seem to be riding high, united on Brexit. But I wonder how deep that goes. As other says, the "Hard Brexit bring it on" club leans very heavily on Raab and IDS. Michael Fallon, possibly because he's engaged with NATO in his brief, looks more like Geoffrey Howe's dead sheep than the bruiser he normally is.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:48% of a 72% turnout is an awful lot of voters.

(Figures rounded because of memory fail.)

Edited to add -

Stating the bleedin' obvious, I know . . .
Hear Hear
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

SpinningHugo wrote:This by Stephen Bush is V good on the reasoning behind D art 50
http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/st ... article-50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No surprise McDonnell behind it.

I think it is high risk. Labour is doing so badly it needs to worry about the core seats, not the marginals.
Must have been a hell of a Powerpoint presentation. Who gave it? Jesus, at his Sermon on the Mount peak?

Whoever, it can't have been the same person who gives the presentation on Corbyn's awful standing with every demographic. Because none of those presentations make any impact.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Much more here in the Mirror:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/to ... ll-9697343" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In its entirety, the Bill says:

(1) The Prime Minister may notify, under Article 50(2) of the Treaty on European Union, the United Kingdom’s intention to withdraw from the EU.
(2) This section has effect despite any provision made by or under the European Communities Act 1972 or any other enactment.
Just 3 days in committee.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Tubby Isaacs wrote:The Tories seem to be riding high, united on Brexit. But I wonder how deep that goes. As other says, the "Hard Brexit bring it on" club leans very heavily on Raab and IDS. Michael Fallon, possibly because he's engaged with NATO in his brief, looks more like Geoffrey Howe's dead sheep than the bruiser he normally is.
The thing is, that no journalists seems to wanting to ask the question of them. Not interesting enough.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

In the US, following Theresa May’s indication that the UK could start tearing down trade barriers between it and the US even before Britain leaves the EU, Donald Trump has said he will pursue bilateral trade deals that include clauses to allow a 30-day termination notice.

“Believe me, we’re going to have a lot of trade deals,” the US president told a gathering of Republican lawmakers. “If that particular country doesn’t treat us fairly, we send them a 30-day termination, notice of termination.” (Politics Live, Guardian)
I heard this bit, too, but I'd lost the will and the energy to type it all out.

Heaven help us all.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:The Tories seem to be riding high, united on Brexit. But I wonder how deep that goes. As other says, the "Hard Brexit bring it on" club leans very heavily on Raab and IDS. Michael Fallon, possibly because he's engaged with NATO in his brief, looks more like Geoffrey Howe's dead sheep than the bruiser he normally is.
The thing is, that no journalists seems to wanting to ask the question of them. Not interesting enough.
Oh yes, the media are very weak. But there are some good, rally the faithful, soundbites on Brexit to be read out, for the truly committed.

I just think we're seeing IDS and Raab doing more than their share.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
I guess single market inclined Tories feel they can lean on May during the negotiations to try to get more of what they want. I wouldn't rule out a split eventually. They are all devoted to Brexit because so many Tories voted for it so their seats depend on May invoking article 50 but after that the divisions may become more apparent.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

PorFavor wrote:
In the US, following Theresa May’s indication that the UK could start tearing down trade barriers between it and the US even before Britain leaves the EU, Donald Trump has said he will pursue bilateral trade deals that include clauses to allow a 30-day termination notice.

“Believe me, we’re going to have a lot of trade deals,” the US president told a gathering of Republican lawmakers. “If that particular country doesn’t treat us fairly, we send them a 30-day termination, notice of termination.” (Politics Live, Guardian)

Heaven help us all.
Why on earth would anyone give him such a deal?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Willow904 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

Heaven help us all.
Why on earth would anyone give him such a deal?
I've got no idea. But Theresa may . . .
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 48156.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Theresa May suggests NHS could be part of US trade deal
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Speechless !

http://heatst.com/world/labour-brexit-g ... n-to-ukip/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

pk1 wrote:Speechless !

http://heatst.com/world/labour-brexit-g ... n-to-ukip/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good God ! :smack:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 48156.html

Theresa May suggests NHS could be part of US trade deal
oh god
Life's ecosystem is fouled up and world leaders are dangerous
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I'm unhappy with the Labour party.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:
pk1 wrote:Speechless !

Good God ! :smack:
I said the same thing
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Shami Chakrabarti on Channel 4 News- clear and authoritative on Trump, human rights. Died on her arse when asked about Corbyn or Brexit.

I wonder how tenable this is.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Tim Farron, the Liberal Democrat leader, has responded to Theresa May’s “opposites attract” comment:

Opposites may attract, but most people will be repulsed to see our prime minister cosying up to Trump. This is a man who demonises minorities, belittles women and wants to bring back torture.

Being the first world leader to meet with him isn’t a badge of honour, it’s a mark of shame (Politics Live, Guardian)
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Shami won't be volunteering that for that again.

People with kidney stones have looked happier.

Who's next for duty? Richard Burgon?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Shami Chakrabarti on Channel 4 News- clear and authoritative on Trump, human rights. Died on her arse when asked about Corbyn or Brexit.

Do you think there's a polling figure that even Corbyn can't survive?

With a 3 point margin of error either way, 23% looks pretty uncomfortable. That's 26% at best, 20% at worst. Which is really poor. Labour are almost out of the game at the moment.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Willow904 wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Shami Chakrabarti on Channel 4 News- clear and authoritative on Trump, human rights. Died on her arse when asked about Corbyn or Brexit.

With a 3 point margin of error either way, 23% looks pretty uncomfortable. That's 26% at best, 20% at worst. Which is really poor. Labour are almost out of the game at the moment.
Problem is that many of his supporters believe polls are nothing more than a tory-owned media conspiracy & no matter how you might try to reason with some of them, they flat out refuse to admit he's hopeless at leadership. His hugely inflated ego created by the adoration of the attendees to his rallies & his stubbornness is killing the party - if only he had campaigned as effectively for Remain as he did for his own job, we might not be in this god-awful situation now :(
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

pk1 wrote:
Willow904 wrote:

Problem is that many of his supporters believe polls are nothing more than a tory-owned media conspiracy & no matter how you might try to reason with some of them, they flat out refuse to admit he's hopeless at leadership. His hugely inflated ego created by the adoration of the attendees to his rallies & his stubbornness is killing the party - if only he had campaigned as effectively for Remain as he did for his own job, we might not be in this god-awful situation now :(
Sorry, this last point is bollocks. Cameron. Ca-mer-on. He's the reason for this. The first, the last, reason for this catastrophe. He owns this mess.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Willow904 wrote:

At the risk of repeating myself, the problem is not Corbyn. It's the absence of a credible alternative.

Where is the future leader? It's not like nobody else has had an opportunity! This is why blaming Corbyn for everything upsets me so much. He's there quite simply because everyone else is so crap. No vision. No compelling critique. No policies.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@Willow904

I think there's a polling figure that the Party won't tolerate but, as for the man himself, no. I think he takes some sort of perverse pride in it all. I think he believes it's all part of his "street cred". I really do believe that he somehow thinks it's all about him. Weirdly very much like Donald Trump in that respect..