Saturday 28th & Sunday 29th January 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Re: Saturday 28th & Sunday 29th January 2017

Post by pk1 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:Press AssociationVerified account
‏@PA
Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn refuses to give an interview as he hits the by-election campaign trail in Stoke-on-Trent

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What IS the matter with him ! ?
Actually - and I am being fully serious now - his absolute and utter contempt for the media is maybe one of his biggest plus points.

We actually KNOW that journalists are prepared to twist and distort what he says to fit their agenda (cf Kuenssberg and "shoot to kill")

Can we blame him for wanting to interact with them as little as possible?
And who is it that we rely on to carry the Labour message to the country ? The Canary ? Facebook ? Twitter ? Yeah, that worked real well for Ed didn't it.

Treating the media with contempt means they can legitimately ignore Labour then when everyone whines that the media ignore Labour, they'll have nobody to blame but themselves !
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

And Seumus Milne is a done deal now. Wake me up when it's over.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

pk1 wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:Press AssociationVerified account
‏@PA
Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn refuses to give an interview as he hits the by-election campaign trail in Stoke-on-Trent

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What IS the matter with him ! ?
Actually - and I am being fully serious now - his absolute and utter contempt for the media is maybe one of his biggest plus points.

We actually KNOW that journalists are prepared to twist and distort what he says to fit their agenda (cf Kuenssberg and "shoot to kill")

Can we blame him for wanting to interact with them as little as possible?
And who is it that we rely on to carry the Labour message to the country ? The Canary ? Facebook ? Twitter ? Yeah, that worked real well for Ed didn't it.

Treating the media with contempt means they can legitimately ignore Labour then when everyone whines that the media ignore Labour, they'll have nobody to blame but themselves !
The Canary will probably be on the Milne/Corbyn blacklist now they've spotted what he's up to on Article 50 etc. So that leaves Facebook and Twitter.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

A legal challenge has been filed against Donald Trump’s executive order, which imposes a three-month ban on refugees from seven Muslim-majority countries and from Syria permanently.
From the graun's us live blog today.

Trump will want to get on and have his voter on the Supreme Court bench.

It is reasonably likely that this absurd policy will be voted down - Kennedy and CJ Roberts at different times and on different issues have both shown themselves to be more independent minded than their original appointments would have suggested - but I would guess that it is overwhelmingly likely that Alito and Thomas will uphold and you can be sure that Trump's appointee will join them.

The Court ruled in 1951 that communism was a political conspiracy planning to overthrow the government of the United States and so wasn't entitled to first amendment protections for freedom of speech. If Roberts and Kennedy decided to stick with the program they will find justification here and will write arguments to justify that conclusion.
I still believe in a town called Hope
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

HindleA wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:
UN condemns President's bar on asylum and entry from Muslim-majority countries
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 50576.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Trump's hatred makes me feel physically sick.

Maybe try singing instead?

http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2017/01/28/fuck-you/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Richard Murphy on 'Fuck You' wrote:And if you’re offended, I’m not apologising. The time for subtlety has gone.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Wonder if JA's out and about in Stoke today ?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Expatexit: One entrepreneur is helping foreigners leave the UK because of Brexit and find jobs elsewhere
While financial firms are discussing whether they will need to move European headquarters or their staff to the continent, one entrepreneur sees the UK's possible brain drain as an opportunity
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busin ... 50001.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Embrace that McDonnell.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Jezza allegedly beat a hasty retreat when a Press Association reporter asked about the Stoke Labour candidate calling him ''an IRA supporting friend of Hamas career politician'' in a Tweet last year.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ump-brexit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Theresa May looks for new friends among the world’s strongmen
Saturday’s meeting with Erdoğan in Turkey shows how Britain is re-ordering its international priorities after the Brexit vote
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Brain Drain ! Don't be negative, embrace the opportunity. Explain it away as a good thing, part of draining the elite swamp.

edited to add. - Refitman - I'm not sure why my posts are coming out so big, the text box is bigger than I'm using.
Last edited by yahyah on Sat 28 Jan, 2017 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I think Corbyn''s contempt for newspapers is fine. But TV news is much more trusted, even if it has much wrong with it. I think he needs to be more careful there.

It's easy to look silly if you get cornered on camera though.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/film/filmbl ... doctor-who" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

John Hurt: 10 key performances from Alien to Doctor Who
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:I think Corbyn''s contempt for newspapers is fine. But TV news is much more trusted, even if it has much wrong with it. I think he needs to be more careful there.

Yes, but they should be using every opportunity to cooperative positively with the press, particularly local news in the midst of a by-election campaign.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

yahyah wrote:Brain Drain ! Don't be negative, embrace the opportunity. Explain it away as a good thing, part of draining the elite swamp.

edited to add. - Refitman - I'm not sure why my posts are coming out so big, the text box is bigger than I'm using.
I too was puzzled for a moment, then I twigged it. It's your avatar! The box has to stretch vertically to fit it at the side. It's all working fine.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Thanks Refitman. I'll try and resize it again. Thought I'd got it right.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

yahyah wrote:Thanks Refitman. I'll try and resize it again. Thought I'd got it right.
I don't see it being a problem, to be honest. And you'll lose some of the detail if it gets any smaller. I'd leave it be, unless it's causing you an issue.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... s-inflated" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Drug firms ‘put lives of cancer patients at risk’ as out-of-patent prices are inflated
Research shows price of 14 treatments that should cost pennies has risen by up to 1,000%
Generic dugs can often be made for less than the cost of the raw ingredients.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

pk1 wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Of course they "should", everybody should. But in reality a lot of politics is about deciding when to compromise and when to make a stand.

(and another thing supporting A50 doesn't do is preclude anybody from supporting rejoining the EU in the future - not impossible if Brexit turns out as badly as it might)
Rejoining the EU means accepting the Euro as our currency. That won't happen in my lifetime & rightly so.
Not to mention our current opt-outs - Schengen, VAT-free food (and other items) etc.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

pk1 wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:I think Corbyn''s contempt for newspapers is fine. But TV news is much more trusted, even if it has much wrong with it. I think he needs to be more careful there.

Yes, but they should be using every opportunity to cooperative positively with the press, particularly local news in the midst of a by-election campaign.
Local papers, sure. But do the candidates want him in the limelight?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Just took me about 8 attempts to nail "idiosyncrasy".
Thank heavens for spellchecker.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/heidi-a ... 1485600622&" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Heidi Alexander.

This is what I've been trying to say.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

yahyah wrote:Jezza allegedly beat a hasty retreat when a Press Association reporter asked about the Stoke Labour candidate calling him ''an IRA supporting friend of Hamas career politician'' in a Tweet last year.
Iain Gray hiding in a sandwich shop when confronted by SNP supporters didn't do Scottish Labour any good.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Just in case anyone's not quite depressed enough yet:

https://www.politicshome.com/news/europ ... ure-report" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A free trade deal with the United States and other countries would not make up for the loss to the UK's economy of leaving the single market, a report has claimed.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

AK, I voted for Watson as deputy. It was a toss-up between him and Creasy.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Eric_WLothian wrote:
yahyah wrote:Jezza allegedly beat a hasty retreat when a Press Association reporter asked about the Stoke Labour candidate calling him ''an IRA supporting friend of Hamas career politician'' in a Tweet last year.
Iain Gray hiding in a sandwich shop when confronted by SNP supporters didn't do Scottish Labour any good.
Somehow, on first reading the word "shop" didn't make it through to me . . .
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

National march to Parliament
Saturday 25th March 2017
11am, London

New web site
http://www.uniteforeurope.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... ive-orders" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Donald Trump's first week: carnage, both real and imagined
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

We (Brits) are a bunch of idiots.
Fact.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

StephenDolan wrote:AK, I voted for Watson as deputy. It was a toss-up between him and Creasy.
So I'm not the only one.
I naively thought that it would help unify the party having Watson & Corbyn work together, as well as being impressed by all the digital stuff.

I bet you all are glad I won't have a vote next time around. :lol:
And PorFavor, bless her, has never said ''I told you so'' even though she could have so many times.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Theresa May said it [fighter jet deal] could open the way to billions of pounds worth of business, as she became the first foreign leader to visit Turkey since Recep Tayyip Erdogan ordered a wave of arrests and sackings in the wake of last summer's coup.

Questioned over human rights concerns, Downing Street officials said the deal to design the TF-X jets was sealed in light of Turkey's status as a Nato ally and claimed Ms May could approach human rights as a "separate" issue.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 51006.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

@Willow.

Did you see this too ?
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -alexander" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Got control la la la
Got control la la la
Got control la la la ...

Oh:
None of the US papers put Theresa May's visit to the White House on their front page. It's time to face our insignificance
While the British newspapers didn't hesitate to lead with the Prime Minister's first meeting with President Trump, for the American audience it didn't seem particularly relevant
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/the ... 50686.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Theresa May refuses to condemn Trump refugee ban

Jamie Grierson Jamie Grierson
Theresa May has ducked a series of questions on Donald Trump’s migrant and refugee ban, according to reporters at the scene of a joint press conference with the Turkish PM.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/liv ... -countries" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Britain should be up in arms about all this, but instead we carry on thinking the Tories are doing a cracking job.
WTF?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Donald Trump anti-refugee order: 'green-card holders included in ban' – live
Homeland Security reportedly confirms permanent residents will be included in temporary ban amid widespread condemnation
(same link as above)
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

I do like the widespread consultation on Art 50 with members that Corbyn has engaged in.

Almost as if party democracy only counts where it will give answers that Corbyn, McDonnell and Milne approve of.

As for that Watson speech. What a joke that man is.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Charities must adapt to a low-trust society
Tim Lott
Trust in British charitable organisations is falling. But social enterprise offers a way to ensure giving is truly effective
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... enterprise" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A low trust society that doesn't trust charities but does trust the Tories.
Perfect.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

I'm not worried about losing our place as a 'world leader'. It's bullshit.

I'm not worried about financial institutions decamping en masse from London to Paris, Frankfurt etc. God knows I've been complaining all my life about the city's unbalancing effect on our economy.

I'm not worried about being unable to rejoin the EU because of the Euro/Schengen, I'd be quite happy with the Norway option. There are good things the EU want to do that the UK's been blocking.

I'm sad about leaving the EU for cultural/social reasons, not economic ones. I know it will reduce economic growth, but aren't we going to have to do that anyway, climate change again? It doesn't follow that we'll have to cut public services, that will still be a political choice. Education and health spending boost GDP and shouldn't be dependant on it.
the Gross National Product includes air pollution, ambulances to clear our highways from carnage. It counts special locks for our doors and jails for the people who break them. The Gross National Product includes the destruction of the redwoods and the death of Lake Superior. It grows with the production of napalm and missles and nuclear warheads.... It includes... the broadcasting of television programs which glorify violence to sell goods to our children. And if the Gross National Product includes all this, there is much that it does not comprehend. It does not allow for the health of our families, the quality of their education, or the joy of their play. It is indifferent to the decency of our factories and the safety of our streets alike. It does not include the beauty of our poetry, or the strength of our marriages, the intelligence of our public debate or the integrity of our public officials... the Gross National Product measures neither our wit nor our courage, neither our wisdom nor our learning, neither our compassion nor our devotion to our country. It measures everything, in short, except that which makes life worthwhile, and it can tell us everything about America -- except whether we are proud to be Americans.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
Theresa May refuses to condemn Trump refugee ban

Jamie Grierson Jamie Grierson
Theresa May has ducked a series of questions on Donald Trump’s migrant and refugee ban, according to reporters at the scene of a joint press conference with the Turkish PM.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/liv ... -countries" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Britain should be up in arms about all this, but instead we carry on thinking the Tories are doing a cracking job.
WTF?
WTF indeed.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

FACT: If the UK doesn’t have a signed deal by April 2017, Brexit is in grave danger

https://hat4uk.wordpress.com/2016/06/29 ... ve-danger/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We did do this the other day (AH?) but thought it worth a revisit - Hugo, any thoughts?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I've just read the Guardian's report on Tom Watson's speech.

Message ends.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Watson was urging sensible action over Brexit at a conference in central London where he also said Britain must be open-minded about Donald Trump’s economic policies. He said he hoped the Labour leader, Jeremy Corbyn, would meet the US president when he travels to the UK for a state visit later this year.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -in-months" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

watson wrote:“But, let me just be very clear, I understand this is very unique circumstances and we are going to deal with this issue very sensitively.”
By regarding all of our Remain voters as metropolitan elites who deride and sneer.
The sensitivity is overwhelming.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Getting to the point where I want Corbyn gone just so that we can be rid of Watson as well :twisted:
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

How could it be done ? What would it take ?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

yahyah wrote:How could it be done ? What would it take ?
Someone would have to challenge him again, not sure anyone is up for that...
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

I was just clutching at straws in the hope that some new, improved and quick way of sorting out the mess had suddenly presented itself.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

The way people tried to get rid of Jez last summer was precisely the wrong way.

He is vulnerable now because his approach over Brexit has cost him the support of some who previously strongly backed him. Senior people in Labour should try to get some sort of deal that he agrees to step down in the relatively near future, in return for a left candidate being guaranteed access to the ballot in the subsequent contest.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Something to feel hopeful about.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

To be honest I've more interest in how/when someone overthrows May :twisted:
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:The way people tried to get rid of Jez last summer was precisely the wrong way.

He is vulnerable now because his approach over Brexit has cost him the support of some who previously strongly backed him. Senior people in Labour should try to get some sort of deal that he agrees to step down in the relatively near future, in return for a left candidate being guaranteed access to the ballot in the subsequent contest.
After his mistake in pmq's last week I'd be surprised if stepping down hadn't crossed his mind. It was a stark reminder of the huge responsibility of the role, a role he never even wanted in the first place.