Saturday 28th & Sunday 29th January 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 28th & Sunday 29th January 2017

Post by PorFavor »

AngryAsWell wrote:Time for snap! :lol: :lol:

Too late!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Do you think this development will lessen the Quing's embarrassment?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Deleted singular post.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

PorFavor wrote:Do you think this development will lessen the Quing's embarrassment?
Possibly not until it applies to all territories that it's Quing of.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Benjamin Netanyahu tweet praising Trump's plan for Mexico wall prompts international backlash
The message was retweeted more than 40,000 times

“President Trump is right. I built a wall along Israel’s southern border. It stopped all illegal immigration. Great Success. Great idea,” Netanyahu wrote, appending pictures of the Israeli and US flags alongside each other.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 52216.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Trump Holocaust remembrance statement:
"In the name of the perished, I pledge to do everything in my power throughout my presidency, and my life, to ensure that the forces of evil never again defeat the powers of good. Together, we will make love and tolerance prevalent throughout the world.”
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 51731.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Apparently it's a "clarification" (available to all countries who apply) and not an "exemption".
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

PorFavor wrote:Apparently it's a "clarification" (available to all countries who apply) and not an "exemption".
I'm all for linguistic evolution, but it's helpful to have approximate definitions attached to specific words at any one point.
just in case.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

House of Commons Library
European Union (Notification of Withdrawal) Bill
Published Friday, January 27, 2017

This short Bill offers Parliament its first opportunity to give legal effect to the result of the EU referendum,
by providing the UK Government with authority to trigger Article 50 on leaving the EU. The European Union
(Notification of Withdrawal) Bill was published on 26 January 2017 and will be debated in the House of Commons
from 31 January to 8 February 2017.

Can the Article 50 notice be revoked?
The UK Courts have not ruled on whether notice given under Article 50 can be revoked.

If notice is irrevocable, authorising the Government to issue it would effectively commit Parliament to approving
the final withdrawal agreement, seeking a renegotiation if practicable, or leaving the EU without any agreement.

http://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ ... y/CBP-7884" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One week of deliberations followed by Parliamentary action committing the UK to a final agreement unknown.
Madness
Last edited by citizenJA on Sun 29 Jan, 2017 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:Apparently it's a "clarification" (available to all countries who apply) and not an "exemption".
I'm all for linguistic evolution, but it's helpful to have approximate definitions attached to specific words at any one point.
just in case.
You're so picky!
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Koch network condemns Trump ban on refugees and immigrants

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... 4877ec1b12" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

yes. RoT doesn't have a complete monopoly on pedantry.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Dozens of rallies across the country continue to attract thousands protesting Donald Trump’s executive order restricting travel.

Guardian readers tweeted us from Boston’s rally in Copley Square:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/liv ... s-airports" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

China military official says war with US under Donald Trump 'becoming practical reality'
Sino-US relations are becoming more tense under America's new administration

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 50601.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/ ... -democracy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MPs to investigate threat to democracy from 'fake news'

Not sure if that's true or not.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Daily MirrorVerified account
‏@DailyMirror

BREAKING: Dual nationality Brits 'will NOT be barred from US' under Trump's Muslim ban as Boris claims victory http://bit.ly/2kgIcSW" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe I was wrong about Osborn - maybe Johnson still want's top job.... ?
Mayham would have loved to be the one to announce this
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Well, the clarification (not exemption, you fools!) hasn't lessened the popularity of the petition. Unless the joyful tidings have yet to filter through.

(All words in this post are subject to, well, clarification.)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

As long as they are not coming directly from one of the named countries.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/ ... -democracy

Not sure if that's true or not.

Ha! That is a very singular post . . .
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Culture, media and sport committee will seek a definition and investigate how BBC might help to stop spread of false stories
different
journalists
?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

The phenomenon of fake news is to be investigated by a group of influential MPs following concerns that knowingly false articles posing as journalism could become a threat to democracy.
Horse.
Brexit.
Bolted.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Did Boris Johnson get any info on how the film went down?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Horse #2:

Trump.
Climate Change.
Also legged it.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

A study from economists at Stanford University and New York University dismissed the notion that fake news had swung the US election in favour of Donald Trump, but did say “that fake news was both widely shared and tilted in favour of Trump”.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I have to go to sleep now.
I love you.
cJA
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

tinyclanger2 wrote:"collective narcissism" down to 973
https://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar?q= ... 5&as_vis=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I would have made that a starting point.

Having read only a few of the links from your above link at random, and skimmed through titles and a few more, and looking at the context in which the phrase is used in a populist way it gives me even more concerns.

One of the articles is a situation I know well in which both "in-groups" that are discussed perpetrated atrocities not only on each other and their own group, bent facts and re-wrote history. In the article concerned the authors frame one group as the victim group and one as the perpetrators, a fact I know to be untrue as in fact as atrocities occurred from the perceived victim group for several years before action was taken against them. Many people died during this period, real victims, as were the thousands who died as an adjunct to the actions of both victim group and perpetrator group. The analysis is skewed by the notion of collective narcissism being applied in a disproportionate way to the larger group as if bad thinking and heinous action is only down to numbers or overt power. In fact the tenacity of the smaller group and the widespread global support for their victim status perpetuated the situation way beyond what was viable for either side or the vast majority of people who saw both sides as being unacceptable in their actions. But my point is that neither group were victims, and in fact the millions who were bystanders were not vicims either, but were mightily disempowered to do anything to improve things.

To return to a probably more familiar and more populist phenomena, the recent de-platforming of many speakers invited to universities is linked to a more pedestrian kind of groupthink, and terms like collective narcissism are linked to a certain kind of intellectual leftism (taught within the social sciences by people these days labelled as the left) that anybody to the political and actively engaged left would probably not be confortable using.

Recently I have seen it used by both left and right. And my irritation with it is not because was used here, but with the increasing constancy with which it is appearing and being used elsewhere.

Your links show that it is and has been applied to almost anything.

I reiterate my opinion that it is a dangerous concept. In the more detailed example I give the victim status of the one group who really did some horrific things, the first child soldiers of modern times, for instance, were stolen by them from their parents and trained from an early age to kill, means they have scarcely been criticised away from home, on the contrary they were seen as persecuted people, while making huge fund raising efforts that was channelled directly into their sectarian group. Their own victims bore the brunt of this, it did not end happily.

On a much less violent level, nevertheless one that is a lot closer to home and is affecting universities here and elsewhere curriculae are being curtailed and altered to meet the needs of people who see themselves as the new victims of today using the same kind of logic and language, stuuf out of the same stable. Which, from where I stand, and even from where younger people I know stand, seems like a way of saying I don't agree with you therefore you and your opinions are no longer valid or acceptable as people. Which kind of shuts down discussions and thinking, and even sometimes the possibility of interaction, which is what I always thought was the point of universities, to open minds and encourage critical thinking.

My apologies for banging on about this. I can see as a concept it does bear thinking about, because it means we are cultivating people who can use it in ways that do not empower real victims - by that I mean people with a range of actual experienced damage - but allows proxy 'victims' or supporters to take on causes, and sometimes even hijack them. But to use it on other people, as a kind of throwaway insult as I have seen happen, and assume victimhood unless the other group gives way is a phenomena I am a lot less comfortable with.

Right at the moment it is seen as something that wrongheaded lefties use against right wingers. That is its most common usage when it comes my way, and it often comes with a demand that lefties should change their thinking, that they are in fact the problem, that they are namecallers and bullies, even a cancer in society! In this context it is being used to de-legitimise anything left of centre. I don't expect it to go away quickly, neither do I think that anyone who is confortable with using it should stop using it. Given the extensive contexts it has been applied to (whole nations, no less!) I hardly think my view that it is pernicious will change anything. I came here to point out that it is pernicious, and I will probably be seen as over invested on the matter.

But we are watching everything left of centre here and abroad being discredited and brought down, while other tendencies rise, and it is these kind of linguistic acrobatics that are the vehicle. Partly self inflicted, partly otherwise.

When I hear of the people who thought it ok to throw dead cats into a junior school playground near me, or a young wheelchair user tells me how on her estate she is trapped in her home most of the time because she is screamed at, gets her chair violently rocked from side to side, basketballs thrown at her, and is sometimes spat at or thrown out of her chair, if I read of a middle eastern man who was killed by his neighbours after being labelled a paedophile by a large group of people (who so intimidated him that he had the police out several times) for looking out of his window, if I hear of people complicitly carrying out executive orders knowing the life damaging consequences, I do not want to call them collective narcissists.

I want to be either a lot lot more precise or a lot lot more angry. If such people then want to attack me for my values I want them to do it for something more honest and not for being a pseudointellectual wuss. And if they are killing people directly or indirectly I do not want to give them the pleasure of giving them the get out that they want either.

Hey, but what do I know anyway, just an old woman wittering. :wall: ;)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Night night.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

seeingclearly wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:"collective narcissism" down to 973
https://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar?q= ... 5&as_vis=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I would have made that a starting point.

Having read only a few of the links from your above link at random, and skimmed through titles and a few more, and looking at the context in which the phrase is used in a populist way it gives me even more concerns.

One of the articles is a situation I know well in which both "in-groups" that are discussed perpetrated atrocities not only on each other and their own group, bent facts and re-wrote history. In the article concerned the authors frame one group as the victim group and one as the perpetrators, a fact I know to be untrue as in fact as atrocities occurred from the perceived victim group for several years before action was taken against them. Many people died during this period, real victims, as were the thousands who died as an adjunct to the actions of both victim group and perpetrator group. The analysis is skewed by the notion of collective narcissism being applied in a disproportionate way to the larger group as if bad thinking and heinous action is only down to numbers or overt power. In fact the tenacity of the smaller group and the widespread global support for their victim status perpetuated the situation way beyond what was viable for either side or the vast majority of people who saw both sides as being unacceptable in their actions. But my point is that neither group were victims, and in fact the millions who were bystanders were not vicims either, but were mightily disempowered to do anything to improve things.

To return to a probably more familiar and more populist phenomena, the recent de-platforming of many speakers invited to universities is linked to a more pedestrian kind of groupthink, and terms like collective narcissism are linked to a certain kind of intellectual leftism (taught within the social sciences by people these days labelled as the left) that anybody to the political and actively engaged left would probably not be confortable using.

Recently I have seen it used by both left and right. And my irritation with it is not because was used here, but with the increasing constancy with which it is appearing and being used elsewhere.

Your links show that it is and has been applied to almost anything.

I reiterate my opinion that it is a dangerous concept. In the more detailed example I give the victim status of the one group who really did some horrific things, the first child soldiers of modern times, for instance, were stolen by them from their parents and trained from an early age to kill, means they have scarcely been criticised away from home, on the contrary they were seen as persecuted people, while making huge fund raising efforts that was channelled directly into their sectarian group. Their own victims bore the brunt of this, it did not end happily.

On a much less violent level, nevertheless one that is a lot closer to home and is affecting universities here and elsewhere curriculae are being curtailed and altered to meet the needs of people who see themselves as the new victims of today using the same kind of logic and language, stuuf out of the same stable. Which, from where I stand, and even from where younger people I know stand, seems like a way of saying I don't agree with you therefore you and your opinions are no longer valid or acceptable as people. Which kind of shuts down discussions and thinking, and even sometimes the possibility of interaction, which is what I always thought was the point of universities, to open minds and encourage critical thinking.

My apologies for banging on about this. I can see as a concept it does bear thinking about, because it means we are cultivating people who can use it in ways that do not empower real victims - by that I mean people with a range of actual experienced damage - but allows proxy 'victims' or supporters to take on causes, and sometimes even hijack them. But to use it on other people, as a kind of throwaway insult as I have seen happen, and assume victimhood unless the other group gives way is a phenomena I am a lot less comfortable with.

Right at the moment it is seen as something that wrongheaded lefties use against right wingers. That is its most common usage when it comes my way, and it often comes with a demand that lefties should change their thinking, that they are in fact the problem, that they are namecallers and bullies, even a cancer in society! In this context it is being used to de-legitimise anything left of centre. I don't expect it to go away quickly, neither do I think that anyone who is confortable with using it should stop using it. Given the extensive contexts it has been applied to (whole nations, no less!) I hardly think my view that it is pernicious will change anything. I came here to point out that it is pernicious, and I will probably be seen as over invested on the matter.

But we are watching everything left of centre here and abroad being discredited and brought down, while other tendencies rise, and it is these kind of linguistic acrobatics that are the vehicle. Partly self inflicted, partly otherwise.

When I hear of the people who thought it ok to throw dead cats into a junior school playground near me, or a young wheelchair user tells me how on her estate she is trapped in her home most of the time because she is screamed at, gets her chair violently rocked from side to side, basketballs thrown at her, and is sometimes spat at or thrown out of her chair, if I read of a middle eastern man who was killed by his neighbours after being labelled a paedophile by a large group of people (who so intimidated him that he had the police out several times) for looking out of his window, if I hear of people complicitly carrying out executive orders knowing the life damaging consequences, I do not want to call them collective narcissists.

I want to be either a lot lot more precise or a lot lot more angry. If such people then want to attack me for my values I want them to do it for something more honest and not for being a pseudointellectual wuss. And if they are killing people directly or indirectly I do not want to give them the pleasure of giving them the get out that they want either.

Hey, but what do I know anyway, just an old woman wittering. :wall: ;)
Aye you old women are all the same ;-)

More seriously, thanks for the thoughtful posts.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:
james at the link above wrote:I'm pretty sure leftists are more outraged over this ban than they were about recent terrorist attacks. Whose side are they on? Just goes to say, THEY CANNOT BE TRUSTED.
Part of me hates social media.
Me also, it's basically soul destroying bile spewed up repeatedly, I avoid, today I spent an hour taking part in the RSPB bird count thingy, 20+ Siskins at one time and 12 Long Tailed Tits, oh and 9 Goldfinches, I feed birds on one of my walks, around 8 robins fed at one time in between squabbling on Friday, in these days of constant negatativity little things keep me going 'cos the big things do my swede in.
You seem to know your birds. This winter I have a bird that is living close by. It sings in the afternoon and much of the night until dawn, and very melodiously. It is a lone bird I cannot see, and I would dearly love to know what it might be, or even some possibilities. I haven't the luxury of going out to see. In fact it is singing now. It rarely seems to go far, and this is the first year I have heard a bird here that sings throughout the night.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

seeingclearly wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote: Part of me hates social media.
Me also, it's basically soul destroying bile spewed up repeatedly, I avoid, today I spent an hour taking part in the RSPB bird count thingy, 20+ Siskins at one time and 12 Long Tailed Tits, oh and 9 Goldfinches, I feed birds on one of my walks, around 8 robins fed at one time in between squabbling on Friday, in these days of constant negatativity little things keep me going 'cos the big things do my swede in.
You seem to know your birds. This winter I have a bird that is living close by. It sings in the afternoon and much of the night until dawn, and very melodiously. It is a lone bird I cannot see, and I would dearly love to know what it might be, or even some possibilities. I haven't the luxury of going out to see. In fact it is singing now. It rarely seems to go far, and this is the first year I have heard a bird here that sings throughout the night.
It'll be a robin ;-)
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

seeingclearly wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote: Part of me hates social media.
You might be able to identify it here - lots to pick!
http://www.british-birdsongs.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
A study from economists at Stanford University and New York University dismissed the notion that fake news had swung the US election in favour of Donald Trump, but did say “that fake news was both widely shared and tilted in favour of Trump”.
(who'd have thought)
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

By the way. I was inaugurated as the President of Mesopotamia last night.
Massive crowds.
That's all I'm saying.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Your account of the putative robin reminds me of more youthful days walking home after a too late night in town when I couldn't afford a taxi. The song is simply beautiful isn't it?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

But is it singing something simple?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

FWIW Petition at 770,000 ,67,000 in the last hour.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

tinyclanger2 wrote:But is it singing something simple?
:lol:

No though. It amazes me that such a tiny creature can produce music of such complexity and power.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

tinyclanger2 wrote:yes. RoT doesn't have a complete monopoly on pedantry.
Well, to be pedantic there's no such thing as an incomplete monopoly - he either has a monopoly or he doesn't. :D
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

very high quality pedantry there. RoT must be getting nervous.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

AngryAsWell wrote:
seeingclearly wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote: Me also, it's basically soul destroying bile spewed up repeatedly, I avoid, today I spent an hour taking part in the RSPB bird count thingy, 20+ Siskins at one time and 12 Long Tailed Tits, oh and 9 Goldfinches, I feed birds on one of my walks, around 8 robins fed at one time in between squabbling on Friday, in these days of constant negatativity little things keep me going 'cos the big things do my swede in.
Thank you! I didn't know such a thing existed.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

seeingclearly wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:
seeingclearly wrote: You seem to know your birds. This winter I have a bird that is living close by. It sings in the afternoon and much of the night until dawn, and very melodiously. It is a lone bird I cannot see, and I would dearly love to know what it might be, or even some possibilities. I haven't the luxury of going out to see. In fact it is singing now. It rarely seems to go far, and this is the first year I have heard a bird here that sings throughout the night.
I used to use it a lot when I was down at the farm with loads of birds around.
I'd try Paul's suggestion of the Robin first :)
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Your account of the putative robin reminds me of more youthful days walking home after a too late night in town when I couldn't afford a taxi. The song is simply beautiful isn't it?
Yes.

I hope it is a robin, I might get to see it come spring.
I am a bit of an owl and it has kept me company this winter.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

AngryAsWell wrote:
seeingclearly wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote: You might be able to identify it here - lots to pick!
Having said that I can't find it ! lol
Anyway Robin is on this page :)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/birdsong.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Damon ‏@damocrat · 13h13 hours ago
I see that Andrew Neil is appearing on Nigel Farage's Sunday Politics again today.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Australia

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... ays-report" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Costs of private schools 'substantially met' by public funds, says report
Former principals argue private schools are rapidly becoming public because government funding covers far more expenses than fees

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... blic-money" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can we really call schools private when they get so much public money?
If a private school is defined by who pays then they are rapidly becoming public. The choice promised by a private system is an illusion
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

AngryAsWell wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:
seeingclearly wrote: Thank you! I didn't know such a thing existed.
Having said that I can't find it ! lol
Anyway Robin is on this page :)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/birdsong.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes! " Robins often sing at night, especially under street lights." This is it exactly, right outside my window, but as Paul says a wonderfully complex song, very changeable and rich. I had a robin a few years ago that came to feed in my garden when I grew my own veg, it often sat on the handle of my old fashioned push mower while I weeded, but it never sang like this and I never saw it or heard such a song. It came for about three years.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Frightening.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

tinyclanger2 wrote:By the way. I was inaugurated as the President of Mesopotamia last night.
Massive Yuuuge crowds.
That's all I'm saying.
FIFY
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

[youtube]E3kr_zoqGyY [/youtube]
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Still on the bird theme.
We have a black bird who comes back every year. He's a wonderful mimic and can whistle just like our neighbour, to the extent his wife (neighbours wife, not BB's!) thinks hubby is in the garden and has twice made him a brew thinking he was on the way in. His other mimic (BB's not neighbour) is horse's neighing, not quite a good as his whistling as he can't get the pitch, but good enough that you understand what he's doing/saying! It's really funny as he sits in the fence, puts his head back and does a little jump to get the sound out. :lol:
Hope he's back this year.