Monday 30th January 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Monday 30th January 2017

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 30th January 2017

Post by SpinningHugo »

Iraq and the EU.

I think Labour MPs who vote for Art 50 will regret it, just as they did with Iraq.

One good thing about this farce is that it has exposed the truth about the leadership following the members.

As for Trump. I hope we can all get through 4 more years of this.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Parliament of Lemmings

https://flipchartfairytales.wordpress.c ... -lemmings/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Good morning.

Couldn't agree more.

http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2017 ... rticle-50/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Morning.

I don't know about you, but I get angrier almost by the hour. Check out this for an explanation of why the petition will, of course, be ignored:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

pk1 wrote:Good morning.

Couldn't agree more.

http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2017 ... rticle-50/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At least that has an apology at the start. The likes of Monbiot, Williams and Jones need to apologise too, and not just admit error.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Just by the by, I asked for this on DVD at Christmas and watched the first one last night. Today is the 84th anniversary. And from Thursday night, it is being repeated on BBC4:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0074kmy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

NonOxCol wrote:Just by the by, I asked for this on DVD at Christmas and watched the first one last night. Today is the 84th anniversary. And from Thursday night, it is being repeated on BBC4:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0074kmy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm a little disturbed by the bottom of the page you link to -
Similar programmes:- The Great Interior Design Challenge.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Long thread, but worth it if you have time. Until recently this was my benchmark for the most horrific thing to happen (certainly in Europe) since the end of the Cold War. I thought Major's non-intervention was dreadfully weak, but next to May, sheesh...

HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... source=twb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A Clarifying Moment in American History
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Oh dear oh dear.

I don't normally believe in conspiracy theories. But.

Last edited by SpinningHugo on Mon 30 Jan, 2017 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-morning, everyone.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

SpinningHugo wrote:Oh dear of dear.

I don't normally believe in conspiracy theories. But.

I was going to highlight this from a different source but as it's here - WTF?
Yesterday’s reorganization of the National Security Council mirrors this: Bannon and Priebus now have permanent seats on the Principals’ Committee; the Director of National Intelligence and the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff have both been demoted to only attending meetings where they are told that their expertise is relevant; the Secretary of Energy and the US representative to the UN were kicked off the committee altogether (in defiance of the authorizing statute, incidentally).
Which probably means they won't be invited at all and they won't ever find out whether they should have been invited.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Cheery

The young are becoming right-authoritarians

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals ... C656EEAB20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
martinson
Backbencher

Post by martinson »

Good morning
Some prescient stuff from last year

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/11179774" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... trump.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

More good news:

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

SpinningHugo wrote:

Couldn't agree more.

At least that has an apology at the start. The likes of Monbiot, Williams and Jones need to apologise too, and not just admit error.
Yes, that's what we need - SHOW TRIALS!

Did you notice the French result last night? Outdated, reheated Blairism is being rejected across the world.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

martinson wrote:Good morning
Some prescient stuff from last year

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/11179774" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... trump.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Our slavish adherence to "democracy" will be our undoing?

You do realise this just makes me even more convinced MPs shouldn't vote to leave the EU, an act they know will make us poorer and more isolated and vulnerable, just because a small majority of people believed what they read in the tabloids and asked for it. Whenever you see leave voters on the tv they are old. Old people, happy they have got their country back, who probably won't be around long enough to see the full extent of the damage they have voted for. And I try not to resent them, I really do, because after all Boris Johnson, Michael Gove, Liam Fox, Nigel Farage and all the rest said it would be fine. How were they to know it really wouldn't be fine? Not fine for the people who have left Britain to make their lives in other parts of the EU, not for young people who rely on the jobs our membership of the EU brings, not for our economy that is still disastrously imbalanced and reliant on a financial sector which will leave before we have a chance to replace it's economic input with something else.

And you know the other thing, having read those articles? I find myself very, very not OK with Jeremy Corbyn's lack of support for NATO. I'm suddenly finding that very naive and foolish, more than I have ever done before (and I have found that before, it's part of why I continue to have difficulty with the idea of trusting him as a future PM). America is teetering on the brink under Trump, the most unreliable it has ever been as an ally (and let's face it, it's not always been especially reliable even before now) and we think this would be a good time to unravel ourselves from our long-standing and close relationships with our EU partners and go it alone?!!!

I don't care if it comes off as patronising but any MP who votes against Brexit will be voting in our best interests and doing this country a favour and I will defend their actions to the hilt against the "will of the people" brigade. We have a representative democracy for a reason.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Coming to the conclusion that democracy is bad is a very dangerous road to go down, especially for "progressives" and leftists.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Coming to the conclusion that democracy is bad is a very dangerous road to go down, especially for "progressives" and leftists.
Coming to the conclusion what we've got is democracy is very dangerous for everyone.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Coming to the conclusion that democracy is bad is a very dangerous road to go down, especially for "progressives" and leftists.
Not the formal institutions of representative democracy, but direct democracy, "mob rule", the tyranny of the majority. Putting an opinion poll above the constitutionally established sovereignty of parliament is what I consider dangerous.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Peter Walker ‏@peterwalker99 13m13 minutes ago

By the look of note from US embassy in UK, *all* UK dual nationals from the 7 countries are still banned https://uk.usembassy.gov/executive-orde ... nationals/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
So a rushed policy not being examined by the appropriate departments starts to fall to bits under examination? Who'd have thunk it...
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Should the UN have its headquarters in a country that is banning people from some countries from entry?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/eveni ... 53031.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Evening Standard editor Sarah Sands to join BBC as editor of the Today programme

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/ ... g-standard" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by HindleA on Mon 30 Jan, 2017 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:

Couldn't agree more.

Did you notice the French result last night? Outdated, reheated Blairism is being rejected across the world.

They had the French Presidential elections last night did they? Macron has lost has he?

Or perhaps you're referring to a leftist party shooting itself in the face? That does indeed have amusing parallels.

Vive la revolution!

Forward brothers and sisters, to fourth place!

Seriously, it is important we remember who the idiots who urged us down this path were, so that we can safely ignore them in the future.
Last edited by SpinningHugo on Mon 30 Jan, 2017 11:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

It is dangerous. Which is why you need things like a separation of powers and human rights.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

HindleA wrote:http://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/eveni ... 53031.html

Evening Standard editor Sarah Sands to join BBC as editor of the Today programme

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/ ... g-standard" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fuck's sake. That'll help.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

SH

The basis of a character in Little Britain?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Over a million signatures now on the petition to prevent Donald Trump making a state visit:

1,137,694 to be exact.

Apparently once a state visit invitation has been extended it's bad form to rescind it. Quite a few green card holders would probably agree it's bad manners to change your mind on a whim. Still hoping the Queen has a mild sniffle on the day and Trump is stuck with Charles instead.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

Can someone clear up something for me, please? What exactly did Theresa May gain from the US during her pilgrimage there? I'm at a bit of a loss, although I keep hearing that the trip was a great success.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

SpinningHugo wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:

They had the French Presidential elections last night did they? Macron has lost has he?

Or perhaps you're referring to a leftist party shooting itself in the face? That does indeed have amusing parallels.

Vive la revolution!

Seriously, it is important we remember who the idiots who urged us down this path were, so that we can safely ignore them in the future.
Idiots? Just take a look at their policies. For much of the twentieth century they would have been considered normal left of centre politicians. But now in the 21st they are "idiots"?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... travel-ban" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

UK government faces cross-party calls for urgent debate on US travel ban
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.

Can someone clear up something for me, please? What exactly did Theresa May gain from the US during her pilgrimage there? I'm at a bit of a loss, although I keep hearing that the trip was a great success.
That red suit was better than the multi-coloured Brexit one wasn't it? So something to be pleased about ;-)
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.

She gets to shout "First!"
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote: Yes, that's what we need - SHOW TRIALS!

Vive la revolution!

Idiots? Just take a look at their policies. For much of the twentieth century they would have been considered normal left of centre politicians. But now in the 21st they are "idiots"?
Breath. Wasted.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

She managed to divert his hand into hers.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

You know how John Redwood always comes across as ever so slightly not of this age?

:D
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote: Yes, that's what we need - SHOW TRIALS!

Vive la revolution!

You think an electoral strategy that will ensure that the French Socialists come an unprecedented (bad) fourth in the coming election is a good one? Their worst performance, by far, in the history of the Republic.

Breath wasted indeed.

Come with me to the wilderness!

I'd be voting for the Blairite. If he beats Fillon into second place into the first round, you would be too.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

European Union Referendum Bill
16 June 2015

The Minister for Europe (Mr David Lidington)
I will start by addressing amendment 16, moved by the right hon. Member for Gordon (Alex Salmond). I was not surprised that he and his party should have moved such an amendment or that they had the support of Plaid Cymru in so doing, but I doubt whether the right hon. Gentleman will be shocked when I say that the Government do not intend to accept it.

Amendment 16 does not make sense in the context of the Bill. The legislation is about holding a vote; it makes no provision for what follows. The referendum is advisory...

https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commons/2 ... 1658000526" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:You know how John Redwood always comes across as ever so slightly not of this age?

He comes across as dumber than sh** for any age.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Forgive me, but Jesus wept...

PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

RogerOThornhill wrote:You know how John Redwood always comes across as ever so slightly not of this age?

Student loan debts cancelled announces John Redwood.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... free-press" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anti-pipeline activists and film-makers face prison, raising fears for free press
Trials begin Monday in Washington state after actions intended to shut down oil sands pipelines, in solidarity with Standing Rock Sioux tribe’s efforts
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Et tu Dan

http://labourlist.org/2017/01/dan-jarvi ... rticle-50/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

labour making it easy to know who to vote for.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Anushka Asthana (@GuardianAnushka)

Govt sources saying the FCO statement last night was signed off by president Trump's team, and insists "they are in charge"
January 30, 2017

(Politics Live, Guardian)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.parliament.uk/business/commi ... ce-16-175/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ministers questioned on Adult Social Care

http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Guide" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stream 7
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

NonOxCol wrote:Forgive me, but Jesus wept...

state visit committee must be obeyed
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

NonOxCol wrote:Forgive me, but Jesus wept...

At least that suggests they know they've f***ed up. I guess that's something.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Terrible interference on this channel.