Monday 30th January 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 30th January 2017

Post by SpinningHugo »

pk1 wrote:Hurts to watch Ed Miliband in the Commons. Compared with Corbyn, he's a veritable giant & the passion with which he spoke of the Trump ban & the disgust that the UK is not speaking out more forcefully against it shone with his every word.
Cooper was good too.

Ho hum.

Denis Skinner was an idiot.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Even the ASI gets it

https://www.adamsmith.org/blog/conserva ... th-fascism" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

Im starting to think that Trump may just bring down the Tory government, and ruin Brexit in his first year.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

There's a surprise...not.

Former NUT activist is new education chief at Gove thinktank

https://www.tes.com/news/school-news/br ... -thinktank
A comprehensive school teacher who founded the grassroots network Labour Teachers has been unveiled as the new head of education at the centre-right thinktank, Policy Exchange.

John Blake, a former NUT activist, will take over from Jonathan Simons at the organisation, which was co-founded by Michael Gove in 2002.

Mr Blake, a "history consultant and leading practitioner" at the Harris Federation, will be joined by two other teachers in the Policy Exchange education team.

Mark Lehain, principal of Bedford Free School, and Tom Richmond, a sixth-form teacher and former government adviser, will join as senior policy fellows.

Policy Exchange’s state and society research fellow, Rebecca Lowe Coulson, will also be a member of the education team.
His posts have bee drifting to the right for some time so this is not really a shock. Funny how so many people in favour of a knowledge-rich curriculum end up not teaching though...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

SpinningHugo wrote:
pk1 wrote:Hurts to watch Ed Miliband in the Commons. Compared with Corbyn, he's a veritable giant & the passion with which he spoke of the Trump ban & the disgust that the UK is not speaking out more forcefully against it shone with his every word.
Cooper was good too.

Ho hum.

Really? For pointing/ out that he hid from fascist bombs as a kid, whilst exposing that our bumbling fuckwitted cockwomble of an FS didn't even know Mussolini's bombers were involved in the blitz.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

SpinningHugo wrote:Even the ASI gets it

https://www.adamsmith.org/blog/conserva ... th-fascism" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
To be fair to Denis that's sort of what he was saying - only clumsier
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... bels-trump" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If the disconnect between Hillary Clinton’s Democrats and blue-collar American workers in the midwest helped to pave the way for Donald Trump, the disconnect between sections of the parliamentary Labour party and many working-class voters over the EU referendum is now helping to pave the way for a Ukip surge in the party’s midlands and northern heartlands.
One for AK ;)
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

RTE radio is reporting tonight that, for the first time in Ireland, US Homeland Security officials at Dublin airport have turned away a traveller from one of the countries on the banned list imposed by Donald Trump’s executive order. (Politics Live, Guardian)
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Temulkar wrote:Im starting to think that Trump may just bring down the Tory government, and ruin Brexit in his first year.
Do you think he will last a year?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... drew-tyrie" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Britain’s exit from the EU must make the country more prosperous and fair, maintain an open economy and increase people’s democratic rights, a group of academics has urged in a list of four tests for making a success of Brexit.
Yeah, good luck with that.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Iain Martin ‏@iainmartin1 5m5 minutes ago

Conservatives in UK wld be mad to think agitation against Trump restricted to the Left. British voters have watched in horror for months.
Some Conservative are too busy jeering at Labour to notice though...they might wake up eventually.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Willow904 wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... bels-trump
If the disconnect between Hillary Clinton’s Democrats and blue-collar American workers in the midwest helped to pave the way for Donald Trump, the disconnect between sections of the parliamentary Labour party and many working-class voters over the EU referendum is now helping to pave the way for a Ukip surge in the party’s midlands and northern heartlands.
One for AK ;)
He is basically saying that Corbyn is right.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Classic SH'ism there.You are on top form today.Deliberately getting the name wrong
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

One for AK ;)
I think its spot on. A50 is the wrong fight. There's two years and more before brexit actually happens, and in that time pro eu supporters can win a majority in the country to overturn the referendum. Trump's going to be a gift to remainers.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

He is also a giant compared to the likes of May, Johnson and Gove. It would be nice if you mentioned the actual opposition to Labour occasionally ;)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

27% of those polled so far agree with Trump ban whilst 12% don't know !
1. Donald Trump has announced a ban on the entry of refugees from Syria, a four month ban on all refugees and a three month ban on entering or visiting the USA for people from seven Muslim countries (Syria, Iraq, Iran, Yemen, Sudan, Somalia and Libya). Do you think this is the right or wrong policy for the USA?
https://yougov.co.uk/opi/surveys/result ... c6de5e239f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

SpinningHugo wrote:
Cooper was good too.

Ho hum.

Indeed she was. Her fury was palpable, as can be seen on the video in this tweet:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:
Temulkar wrote:Im starting to think that Trump may just bring down the Tory government, and ruin Brexit in his first year.
Will we?
I hope wise, brave and sane heads will corral him.
Last edited by citizenJA on Mon 30 Jan, 2017 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
He is also a giant compared to the likes of May, Johnson and Gove. It would be nice if you mentioned the actual opposition to Labour occasionally ;)
Didn't think it would be required on here - I thought it was a given, especially since I've been posting here for as long as you.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:
RTE radio is reporting tonight that, for the first time in Ireland, US Homeland Security officials at Dublin airport have turned away a traveller from one of the countries on the banned list imposed by Donald Trump’s executive order. (Politics Live, Guardian)
Are US Homeland Security officials normally patrolling Dublin airport?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

HindleA wrote:Classic SH'ism there.You are on top form today.Deliberately getting the name wrong
Oops! Afraid I got it wrong as well. Dyslexia makes me over reliant on spell check, if I don't get a red line I take it as right. I also had a brother-in-law who's name was "Denis" with one "N" so doesn't look odd to me (....or maybe I spelt his name wrong all that time and he never told me... yikes! what a thought)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

No offence intended beyond obvious idiot.It's a common mistake.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

citizenJA wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
Yes, seems so

https://www.dublinairport.com/at-the-ai ... e-facility" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Temulkar wrote:
One for AK ;)
I think its spot on. A50 is the wrong fight. There's two years and more before brexit actually happens, and in that time pro eu supporters can win a majority in the country to overturn the referendum. Trump's going to be a gift to remainers.
But we'll have already left and re-joining means joining the Euro which no one thinks is a good idea. And although I certainly hope the EEA will remain open to the UK as an option, there are no guarantees. The Tories could have burnt a lot of bridges by then. Until we know the answers to the questions I posted above, it has to be assumed that triggering article 50 means that's it, we're out. Hopes of somehow turning the wagon around at a later date having pitched it over the brow of the hill seem overly optimistic to me. Not to mention if the way to win working class populist votes is to peddle hatred of immigrants then Corbyn is as stuffed as Clinton, anyway, on account of that being unconscionable. Every time Corbyn says something like "Labour isn't tied to the principle of the freedom of movement of people" he loses remain voters, but does he even gain any leave voters in return? I can almost respect what Corbyn is doing as a matter of principle, (although it's a bit like smacking someone in the face because you had earlier promised to do so) but as a strategy to win the maximum number of votes? I'm very doubtful.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
Iain Martin ‏@iainmartin1 5m5 minutes ago

Conservatives in UK wld be mad to think agitation against Trump restricted to the Left. British voters have watched in horror for months.
Some Conservative are too busy jeering at Labour to notice though...they might wake up eventually.
Trump is a boundary violator.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

AngryAsWell wrote:
Depends I guess, how far he is prepared to go and how fast. The US constitution is a little bit more robust than that of Weimar, but Bannon et al have been planning this coup for a long time, so... He could well see his term out, he could be impeached, he could be kennedyed, but he will destroy the GOP for an electoral generation.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

HindleA wrote:No offence intended beyond obvious idiot.It's a common mistake.
None taken - but now seriously worried about deceased B-i-L and if I offended him
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

AngryAsWell wrote:
HindleA wrote:Classic SH'ism there.You are on top form today.Deliberately getting the name wrong
Oops! Afraid I got it wrong as well. Dyslexia makes me over reliant on spell check, if I don't get a red line I take it as right. I also had a brother-in-law who's name was "Denis" with one "N" so doesn't look odd to me (....or maybe I spelt his name wrong all that time and he never told me... yikes! what a thought)
Pretty sure it was obvious who you were speaking of. My iPad corrects Corbyn to Corbin - sometimes I go back & change it, other times I can't be arsed because quite honestly, everybody knows who I mean at those times.
In any case:
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid, aocdcrnig to rseecrah at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mttaer in waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rhgit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whoutit a pboerlm. Tihs is bucseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey ltteer by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Aaznmig, huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghhuot slelinpg was ipmorantt! See if yuor fdreins can raed tihs too.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

Willow904 wrote:
Temulkar wrote:
But we'll have already left and re-joining means joining the Euro which no one thinks is a good idea. And although I certainly hope the EEA will remain open to the UK as an option, there are no guarantees. The Tories could have burnt a lot of bridges by then. Until we know the answers to the questions I posted above, it has to be assumed that triggering article 50 means that's it, we're out. Hopes of somehow turning the wagon around at a later date having pitched it over the brow of the hill seem overly optimistic to me. Not to mention if the way to win working class populist votes is to peddle hatred of immigrants then Corbyn is as stuffed as Clinton, anyway, on account of that being unconscionable. Every time Corbyn says something like "Labour isn't tied to the principle of the freedom of movement of people" he loses remain voters, but does he even gain any leave voters in return? I can almost respect what Corbyn is doing as a matter of principle, (although it's a bit like smacking someone in the face because you had earlier promised to do so) but as a strategy to win the maximum number of votes? I'm very doubtful.
Huh? triggering article fifty doesnt mean we have left, its merely notice of us leaving, we can unilateraly withdraw that notice at any point if we decide we have changed our minds. This has been pointed out so many times by so many different legal experts before during and since the referendum that I an incredulous you dont understand it. Triggering article fifty is not leaving the EU, it never has been , nobody has claimed it is, so why are you so hung up over it??
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Trump signs executive order to slash regulations

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-execut ... iness.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This won't make trade agreements any easier.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

My comment was addressed to SH.If you are going to call someone an idiot as least have the basic courtesy of getting the name right.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Temulkar wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
Cooper was good too.

Ho hum.

Really? For pointing/ out that he hid from fascist bombs as a kid, whilst exposing that our bumbling fuckwitted cockwomble of an FS didn't even know Mussolini's bombers were involved in the blitz.
Yes.

It was stupid and discredited the serious critics.

Yep isn't a Nazi. He is very bad, but not that.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

pk1 wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:
Pretty sure it was obvious who you were speaking of. My iPad corrects Corbyn to Corbin - sometimes I go back & change it, other times I can't be arsed because quite honestly, everybody knows who I mean at those times.
In any case:
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid, aocdcrnig to rseecrah at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mttaer in waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rhgit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whoutit a pboerlm. Tihs is bucseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey ltteer by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Aaznmig, huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghhuot slelinpg was ipmorantt! See if yuor fdreins can raed tihs too.
I read that and didn't notice spelling till the end...
*going for a lie down... lol
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Wow. Had no idea that other POTUS had to wait so long...

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Temulkar wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
Temulkar wrote: I think its spot on. A50 is the wrong fight. There's two years and more before brexit actually happens, and in that time pro eu supporters can win a majority in the country to overturn the referendum. Trump's going to be a gift to remainers.
Huh? triggering article fifty doesnt mean we have left, its merely notice of us leaving, we can unilateraly withdraw that notice at any point if we decide we have changed our minds. This has been pointed out so many times by so many different legal experts before during and since the referendum that I an incredulous you dont understand it. Triggering article fifty is not leaving the EU, it never has been , nobody has claimed it is, so why are you so hung up over it??
There is a court case in the Irish courts at the moment to establish if we can withdraw notice, so its not a given thing at all.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

AngryAsWell wrote:
pk1 wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote: Oops! Afraid I got it wrong as well. Dyslexia makes me over reliant on spell check, if I don't get a red line I take it as right. I also had a brother-in-law who's name was "Denis" with one "N" so doesn't look odd to me (....or maybe I spelt his name wrong all that time and he never told me... yikes! what a thought)
In any case:
I read that and didn't notice spelling till the end...
*going for a lie down... lol
:lol: :lol:
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Brexit: New Article 50 court challenge to go ahead after thousands back campaign
Case to go before Irish High Court to challenge whether Article 50 is revocable

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 68081.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

The Muslim ban has brought the US close to constitutional crisis
Trevor Timm
A series of troubling events since Friday’s order have pushed the country into uncharted territory – and Stephen Bannon was central to the chaos

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ?CMP=fb_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Temulkar wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
Temulkar wrote: I think its spot on. A50 is the wrong fight. There's two years and more before brexit actually happens, and in that time pro eu supporters can win a majority in the country to overturn the referendum. Trump's going to be a gift to remainers.
There is a case being brought as we speak to establish whether or not article 50 is unilaterally revocable, so it is by no means as certain as you seem to suggest and it is also far from clear about our membership of the EEA. Do we have to leave the EEA when we leave the EU and reapply? Can we negotiate to remain in the EEA as we withdraw from the EU or do we stay in the EEA until we trigger article 127. Will Labour have any opportunity to oppose the Tories taking us out of the single market or will the vote to trigger article 50 constitute the government's mandate for a hard Brexit as outlined in May's speech? Why only a 5 day debate? Why does article 50 have to be triggered by the end of March, why not April, May, June?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Temulkar wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
Temulkar wrote:I think its spot on. A50 is the wrong fight. There's two years and more before brexit actually happens, and in that time pro eu supporters can win a majority in the country to overturn the referendum. Trump's going to be a gift to remainers.
Of course UK Parliament can revoke the Article 50. Every single EU nation will have to agree it's okay though.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:The Muslim ban has brought the US close to constitutional crisis
Trevor Timm
A series of troubling events since Friday’s order have pushed the country into uncharted territory – and Stephen Bannon was central to the chaos

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ?CMP=fb_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've been out this afternoon and haven't caught up. Yes, this is outrageous. I'm confused. Did Trump give a reason for his action?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:There is a case being brought as we speak to establish whether or not article 50 is unilaterally revocable, so it is by no means as certain as you seem to suggest and it is also far from clear about our membership of the EEA. Do we have to leave the EEA when we leave the EU and reapply? Can we negotiate to remain in the EEA as we withdraw from the EU or do we stay in the EEA until we trigger article 127. Will Labour have any opportunity to oppose the Tories taking us out of the single market or will the vote to trigger article 50 constitute the government's mandate for a hard Brexit as outlined in May's speech? Why only a 5 day debate? Why does article 50 have to be triggered by the end of March, why not April, May, June?
^^^^Thank you for asking these questions^^^^
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Willow904 wrote:
Temulkar wrote:
Willow904 wrote: But we'll have already left and re-joining means joining the Euro which no one thinks is a good idea. And although I certainly hope the EEA will remain open to the UK as an option, there are no guarantees. The Tories could have burnt a lot of bridges by then. Until we know the answers to the questions I posted above, it has to be assumed that triggering article 50 means that's it, we're out. Hopes of somehow turning the wagon around at a later date having pitched it over the brow of the hill seem overly optimistic to me. Not to mention if the way to win working class populist votes is to peddle hatred of immigrants then Corbyn is as stuffed as Clinton, anyway, on account of that being unconscionable. Every time Corbyn says something like "Labour isn't tied to the principle of the freedom of movement of people" he loses remain voters, but does he even gain any leave voters in return? I can almost respect what Corbyn is doing as a matter of principle, (although it's a bit like smacking someone in the face because you had earlier promised to do so) but as a strategy to win the maximum number of votes? I'm very doubtful.
There is a case being brought as we speak to establish whether or not article 50 is unilaterally revocable, so it is by no means as certain as you seem to suggest and it is also far from clear about our membership of the EEA. Do we have to leave the EEA when we leave the EU and reapply? Can we negotiate to remain in the EEA as we withdraw from the EU or do we stay in the EEA until we trigger article 127. Will Labour have any opportunity to oppose the Tories taking us out of the single market or will the vote to trigger article 50 constitute the government's mandate for a hard Brexit as outlined in May's speech? Why only a 5 day debate? Why does article 50 have to be triggered by the end of March, why not April, May, June?
EU rules change on 1 April 2017 and if A50 not sent by then... it gets very messy, maybe even another referendum messy. I'll try and find the link, it was posted here but not sure when

Can't find link so scrub that for now :)
Last edited by AngryAsWell on Mon 30 Jan, 2017 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
Yes, seems so

https://www.dublinairport.com/at-the-ai ... e-facility" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
From the website:
"Dublin Airport is one of only a handful of airports outside North America that offers a US Preclearance facility. The benefit is that having cleared USCBP, passengers arriving in the US are treated as domestic arrivals, allowing them to avoid immigration queues upon arrival and pick up their bags and go."
I wonder if this means 'only a handful of airports outside North America' have US Homeland Security officials patrolling? I'll research some more.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/social-care ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Government is guilty of dereliction of duty on social care funding
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

SpinningHugo wrote:
Temulkar wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote: Cooper was good too.

Ho hum.

Yes.

Trump is most certainly a fascist which is what Dennis called him - not a nazi I see your facts letting you down once more.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/social-care ... are_btn_tw

Government is guilty of dereliction of duty on social care funding
It is truly shocking how easily the Tories were able to dump their manifesto pledges based on the Dilnot report on being elected. Having attacked Labour for their "death tax" they have got away with doing bugger all. So many things to be angry about, but this is definitely near the top of the list because this is actually something the Tories admitted needed reform and new funding and they still haven't done anything about it. And it effects the Tories main demographic too - old people. How do they not lose support over stuff like this?
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Temulkar wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
Temulkar wrote: Really? For pointing/ out that he hid from fascist bombs as a kid, whilst exposing that our bumbling fuckwitted cockwomble of an FS didn't even know Mussolini's bombers were involved in the blitz.
Yes.

Trump is most certainly a fascist which is what Dennis called him - not a nazi I see your facts letting you down once more.

Fascism is, definitionally, a form of government. It doesn't mean "is right wing" or "does nasty things."

At the moment at least the United States remains a democracy. If and when Trump seizes power and ends elections, then you can plausibly start calling him a fascist.

Until that point, it looks like the ridiculous hyperbole the left so often uses about the US, discrediting itself and the serious objections to what is happening.

But I am sure you and Dennis feel very virtuous.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

citizenJA wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:
citizenJA wrote: Are US Homeland Security officials normally patrolling Dublin airport?
Yes, seems so

From the website:
"Dublin Airport is one of only a handful of airports outside North America that offers a US Preclearance facility. The benefit is that having cleared USCBP, passengers arriving in the US are treated as domestic arrivals, allowing them to avoid immigration queues upon arrival and pick up their bags and go."
I wonder if this means 'only a handful of airports outside North America' have US Homeland Security officials patrolling? I'll research some more.
Globetrotting friends say they will only travel to the US via Dublin. You go through US immigration before leaving Ireland, so miss the formalities on arrival in the US. They recon the Dublin-based officials have 'gone native' and are much friendlier than those over the pond.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Emily Thornberry
This Order was signed barely an hour or two after the Prime Minister left the White House. Can he [Johnson] tell us, in their discussions about terrorism and security, was this imminent Order mentioned? Because I don't know what's worse - that the President would have so little respect for the Prime Minister that he wouldn't think to tell her. Or that he did and she didn't think it sounded wrong. If it is the former, that is hardly a surprise. But if it is the latter then we really have a problem.
Because when it comes to human rights, women's rights, torture and the treatment of minorities, President Trump is already descending down a very dangerous slope. And when that happens, we need a Prime Minister who is prepared to tell him to stop. Not one who simply proffers her hand, and silently helps him along.